Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 16, 2015 1:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Is it just me or does Maruo's opponent seem naturally angry? LOL. Or at least he looks a bit pissed just by facial expressions...

Good to see Marou being quite focused though in these latest episodes. Takagi also shows VERY poor sportsmanship. Like holy shit, the guy is trying to do absolutely anything to win the match.
Stark700Aug 16, 2015 3:26 AM
Aug 16, 2015 4:06 AM

Mar 2010
Was really pissed at that last shot straight at Maruo.
Maybe he intended to get him hurt...
Aug 16, 2015 4:15 AM

Aug 2010
This match will surely be good experience for Maruo ^^

Takagi's such a sore loser calling that "I beat Nabae" lol
Well duh u kept playing him for +6 hrs all the way until the crack of dawn. Damn.

Lol'd at Maruo actually starting to get impressed by how much dedication he puts into his tricks XD Really though u gotta love Maruo for being able to not get swept into his pace. Props :D
Aug 16, 2015 4:16 AM

Mar 2008
I hated this asshole in the manga & I hate him even more in the anime.
Aug 16, 2015 4:22 AM

Feb 2014
Players like Takagi don't deserve to play tennis. This type of play style isn't fun at all. Playing sports is meant to have fun and as a recreation activity in the first place. Still, it is interesting to see how Maruo deals with such opponent.
Aug 16, 2015 4:49 AM

Oct 2014
God fucking damnit I hate Takagi so fucking much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2015 4:52 AM

Dec 2011
Good episode again even if this match isn't one of my favourite.Is Masakazu Morita (Ichigo from Bleach and Shin from Kingdom) doing the voice for Takagi.
Aug 16, 2015 4:59 AM

Jun 2011
What an unpleasant guy.
Aug 16, 2015 5:09 AM

Jun 2014
it was great seeing this different approach to tennis
:3
Aug 16, 2015 5:17 AM

Feb 2015

Unlike the cheerful & kind Ide in the previous match, it would be satisfying to see Takagi lose this game.
The last ball was heading straight to Marou's face. I wonder if he'll be needing a real medical time-out.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2015 7:57 AM

Jun 2013
Takagi is an asshole throwing that shot straight to Maruo face
Aug 16, 2015 8:14 AM

Jul 2010
Takagi's style is really distasteful, to the point of even wanting to harm other tennis players to get his win. I feel bad for him, though as he is that fixated to beat Nabae, there is just absolutely zero pleasure in playing any other person. Not enjoying the process of playing tennis, but to beat that one person... something external for what price!

Looking forward to how Maruo remains composed despite having such a despicable opponent. Maruo getting impressed by it xD Pretty interesting to see this style of play, but not exactly something I would like to see again.
Aug 16, 2015 8:40 AM

Jun 2010
tetrix1993 said:
Players like Takagi don't deserve to play tennis. This type of play style isn't fun at all. Playing sports is meant to have fun and as a recreation activity in the first place. Still, it is interesting to see how Maruo deals with such opponent.

Actually, it is really funny to play like an asshole, it's just really annoying to have an opponent that plays like that xD
Aug 16, 2015 9:05 AM

Aug 2015
FatefulLove said:
Takagi's style is really distasteful, to the point of even wanting to harm other tennis players to get his win. I feel bad for him, though as he is that fixated to beat Nabae, there is just absolutely zero pleasure in playing any other person. Not enjoying the process of playing tennis, but to beat that one person... something external for what price!

Looking forward to how Maruo remains composed despite having such a despicable opponent. Maruo getting impressed by it xD Pretty interesting to see this style of play, but not exactly something I would like to see again.

It's not like Maruo would get angry and shout. Well as for Takagi I sure despise him , and like he said , he's playing within the rules. Takagi'll be a great treat for Maruo.
"Slowly but surely."-Me

Hey Pals Let's Be Unique!
Aug 16, 2015 9:11 AM
Aug 2013
This Takagi guy is so annoying. I'm surprised at how Maruo has been keeping his cool despite being constantly provoked.
Aug 16, 2015 9:50 AM
Jun 2014
Insufferable Ichigo VA in even more insufferable role!!
Aug 16, 2015 10:35 AM

Sep 2013
Marou faces yet another annoying opponent.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 16, 2015 11:49 AM

May 2013
Shoutout to the ref for doing her job correctly and telling Takagi to tone it down. I hope he gets a point penalty.
Aug 16, 2015 11:54 AM

Oct 2013
Takagi is pretty bad. At least he hasn't pretended to make his racquet slip from his hand and hit Maruo. I've heard of stories of that happening.
Aug 16, 2015 1:39 PM

Jul 2015
Takagi is such a shitty player. Hopefully he doesn't actually win, so that style of tennis isn't held as effective.
Aug 16, 2015 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
Takagi is one bad tennis player and I don't like his style of playing tennis.
Aug 16, 2015 2:08 PM

Jun 2015
I enjoy takagi more than Ide.

Also since Maruo doesn't have to win this match, it's more interesting since it could go either way.

SchwingBoner said:

Unlike the cheerful & kind Ide in the previous match, it would be satisfying to see Takagi lose this game.
The last ball was heading straight to Marou's face. I wonder if he'll be needing a real medical time-out.

That was heading for his neck, quite honestly it could kill him
Aug 16, 2015 3:20 PM

Jun 2014
that fucker really is playing dirty despite being a very good player which is even more annoying and unsportsmanlike
Aug 16, 2015 3:59 PM

Jul 2013
Why is there a need for him to have such an inferiority complex towards Nabae? Yeah, he's the Number 1 ranked player in the country. But Takagi is a Top 5 player in the country in his own right.

He needs to believe in his own skills and worry about himself, and stop worrying about Nabae and behaving like a brat who wants more attention just because Nabae happens to get more recognized.
Aug 16, 2015 6:13 PM

Jan 2011
Maruo can learn a few things from this player since it is quite likely that he will run into professionals who will also try to disrupt his game through unsportsmanlike behaviour.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 16, 2015 7:15 PM

Jan 2013
All sorts of tricks, very interesting.
Good episode.
Aug 17, 2015 12:56 AM

Jul 2013
This episode is frustrating... but surprisingly not because of Takagi. It's Maruo that's been really getting on my nerves.

I don't know if he's smart or really just a lucky idiot because he always overthink stuffs and ended up being fooled easily by his opponents. I mean who the fuck cares why Takagi did all those stuffs? who the fuck cares why Nabae is friends with him? one glance at his previous matches and anyone should know Takagi's just a dirty player who do all those things naturally. Is there really any need to doubt it? is there really any need to find the underlying motives of every single one of your opponent? if this is early in his career then maybe okay but Maruo has been competing for the last 3 years facing tons of different opponents. By now he should already know better than worrying about irrelevant stuffs and just focus on the tennis.

I can't help but feel that suppose Nabae doesn't know Takagi and he comes up against his type of player, he'd already figure it out in the first game and device a way to defeat his opponent WITH TENNIS! No, scratch that.. actually anyone with a little bit of common sense and anyone who has ever watched a sporting contest should know better than to get riled by dirty tactics. That is unless Maruo never actually watched TV or saw any competitive sports game in his life, including during PE lessons or sport matches in his school (unlikely). For the whole first set Maruo was like "I know he's a dirty player but I'm still surprised he did another dirty trick". I mean WTF? If you know he's a dirty player then you should try to anticipate he'd do it again and not be shaken by every single trick *smh*
MoeGodAug 17, 2015 1:00 AM
Aug 17, 2015 1:35 AM

Oct 2014
What an asshole.

But i think it's great how Baby Steps shows all the different types of players in sports. Even those that will do just about everything in the books to win...
Aug 17, 2015 1:42 AM

Mar 2013
lol I actually like Takagi, he makes me laugh. His glaring is so over the top, especially when he was just following Maruo with his eyes when they changed ends. I haven't read that far ahead of this match in the manga because I'm slow as heck but I really hope we get to see Takagi again after this match.
Aug 17, 2015 8:42 AM

Sep 2014
Good episode. Each opponent Maruo faces really is different lol. Takagi seems like a dick, but I guess he got skills too. Though I'm sure Maruo'll come on top in the end and might lose to Nabe.
Aug 17, 2015 5:47 PM

Mar 2012
Ah, the medical time-out trick to disrupt rhythm. I was waiting to see when that would happen in Baby Steps. Freak though, aiming for Maruo's head twice?! Quite distasteful stuff. Can't wait to see Maruo crush him, whether it be this match or some match in the future (though I am expecting him to prevail here). Either way, valuable experience here from playing this match.
Aug 17, 2015 9:32 PM

Aug 2009
Will all of Maruo's future opponents be as annoying as Ide and Takagi?
Aug 18, 2015 3:25 PM

Apr 2014
this takagi is a pain in the ass pffffffffffffff
hope maruo finish the match well
the ball is going directly to maruo!

Aug 18, 2015 10:23 PM

Oct 2011
Maruo NOOOO
Aug 19, 2015 3:50 AM

Feb 2012
What a douche for playing dirty. I guess he's not confident with his skills that he has to resort to cheap tricks.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Aug 30, 2015 3:31 AM

Nov 2014
Nice! this opponent is more interesting than Ide
Looks like we will have an interesting match
Sep 11, 2015 7:47 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
ishio95 said:
tetrix1993 said:

Actually, it is really funny to play like an asshole, it's just really annoying to have an opponent that plays like that xD

Haha, I think this is actually true, although I've never played like that before because it doesn't seem fun to me. But I can see someone else enjoying playing like that. The question is whether or not Takagi will gain fans playing like this. He probably would get support, but I doubt as much as other players who don't resort to such tricks. I doubt Takagi cares whether or not he has fans though, he just wants to beat Nabae...
Sep 13, 2015 7:45 AM

Nov 2010
Takagi bad bro, he looks like a lemon face xD
Oct 5, 2015 12:09 AM

Jul 2012
he reminds me of arikata from yowapeda but with a more annoying attitude lol
dang, every time he speaks, all i can think about his character in daiya no ace :P
Oct 16, 2015 3:32 PM

Dec 2012
Milky_way1886 said:
God fucking damnit I hate Takagi so fucking much.
DaisukiAishiteru said:
xpaula said:
What an unpleasant guy.
Mar 4, 2016 1:51 AM

Aug 2013
I knew it.. this is so stupid.
Playing from midnight till dawn for 5 hours straight..
He calls that a win ?? He shouldn't be standing on the court.
I'm amazed Nabae can still talk to him LOL.
May 28, 2016 3:24 AM

Dec 2012
This guy is so annoying ><
Feb 11, 2017 4:20 PM
May 2013
I guess takagi will run out of tricks soon. It's ok to have this kind of opponent for once but he is just so boring and simple minded character.

I hope this match will end in next episode.
Nov 8, 2017 7:56 PM

Sep 2011
Hope Natsu shows up again.
Mar 22, 2018 7:17 PM

Jun 2016
As much as some of you are hating on Takagi, rightfully so, I think Maruo has the best outlook on the situation. If its not against the rules you can't change it. Instead of complaining or letting it get to you accept it, understand it, and combat it from a clear state of mind. This is yet another piece of advice Baby Steps is offering that is so important. I loved the fact that Maruo claimed the way he used his own technical skill and creative out of the game tactics was incredible. You can't be like Yukichi and let it get to you. A pro does everything they can to win and sometimes it's a little dirty. I particularly loved how he stomped the ground to make it seem like he was moving forward. That being said, Takagi is a sore loser who relies on getting results to find self value unlike someone like Maruo who truly loves playing and learning tennis. Why do you think Maruo hasn't suffered losing like you anyways Takagi, he's lost an immense amount already, the real reason why he's better than you is because Maruo enjoys himself and focuses on learning, not winning(even if that's shifted a bit recently).

I'm genuinely curious about Nabae and Takagi's friendship and I hope we learn more about it.
Jul 31, 2019 7:37 AM
Apr 2016
Well, Takagi plays dirty, he has no dignity as a tennis player, just pathetic. So, that's how he won against Nabae, fucking pathetic, of course you'd win once he's unable to even move. Him winning against Nabae once Nabae is in his top form? Just comical. Never happening.
Nov 28, 2020 3:29 PM

Jul 2017
Takagi's definitely not winning any fair play awards as a tennis player lol.

He's the kind of guy who does anything it takes to win, sacrificing all kinds of respect to get the job done. From faking medical scares for timeouts, to trying to hurt his opponent rather than actually win with dignity. I am cool with some of the little psychological tricks like stepping on the ground to mess with Maruo's hearing of the ball and the direction of the shot but he is definitely a bit of a prick with everything else.

Sadly I do know someone who was like this in real life when I was playing in a badminton tournament in high school, and I absolutely hated him there for what he did. Luckily I survived that game but jeez these kind of opponents that bend the rules to their favor to win rather than by their actual skill is really frustrating as their opponent.
Feb 6, 2021 3:52 PM

Feb 2014
alright so this guy went from seems like a prick to a fucking cunt lol
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Aug 5, 2021 7:35 PM

Jul 2016
Imagine assuming you beat your rival while ignoring the fact that it was only because you made him go through nearly ten tiring sets. Pathetic.
Now I want to see Takagi doing this exact same act with Araya xD
Mar 23, 2022 12:15 AM

Jul 2021
I need to murder Takagi asap
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2015

116 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

36 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

33 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:01 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2015

48 by ImmuneDark3 »»
Jun 21, 2022 5:30 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2015

33 by tinker3bellz1 »»
May 19, 2022 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.