Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 10, 2015 7:45 PM

May 2015
In recent years, there are tons of LNs that were adapted into animes. But frankly, most of them turns out to being "shitty" ones (for example: Mahouka and SAO). Thankfully, some LNs (like Monogatari series) can be adapted in the nice way. However, LNs like HakoMari (which is one of the best LNs out there) is less likely being adapted because of the content itself.

In this case, there are 3 main questions:
*Is it necessary that all LNs should being adapted into anime?
*Is adapting LN more difficult than adapting manga?
*Are you agree that "best LN" should be keep in its original form?

Discuss
Aug 10, 2015 7:49 PM

Mar 2015
everything are depend on the execution.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 10, 2015 7:52 PM

May 2015
Unyilkdr said:
Ikr, but the point that i asked is "why the're turns out to be "bad"? is adapting it harder than manga does?"
Aug 10, 2015 7:54 PM
Jul 2018
Anime industries are running out of ideas. That's why it's necessary to plunder materials from mango and light novel author.
Aug 10, 2015 7:55 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Suikomaru said:
Unyilkdr said:
Ikr, but the point that i asked is "why the're turns out to be "bad"? is adapting it harder than manga does?"

In a manga you have pictures to go along with the story on each page where LN's have less or no pictures. I would assume it's one of the main reasons why it's hard to adapt LN's.
Aug 10, 2015 7:57 PM

Oct 2012
SAO is not shitty for one thing. LNs, or any novel for that matter, aren't necessarily harder to adapt than manga, its just different because it conveys everything through text which I think allows more freedom of interpretation than having drawings which convey the non-verbal parts of the story.
Aug 10, 2015 7:58 PM

Jan 2014
Anime adaptions are just to boost the sales of the light novels and to encourage anime watchers to give their light novels a try.
Aug 10, 2015 7:58 PM

Mar 2012
They`re running out of ideas so they adapt random LN into anime and skip the good LN ones with good story.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Aug 10, 2015 7:59 PM

May 2015
Feaor said:
SAO is not shitty for one thing.
I'd agree, just for the first arc and Mother Rosario ones :/
Aug 10, 2015 7:59 PM

Mar 2015
Suikomaru said:
Unyilkdr said:
adapted everything to anime is hard nowdays, not limited to LN or manga or something. mostly because limit of length and episode and not same speed and timeline with original source.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 10, 2015 8:09 PM

May 2015
Okay,point no.2 was covered. Now we move to question no.1: Are adapting all the LNs is necessary? Why (not)?
Aug 10, 2015 8:13 PM

Apr 2013
LN adaptions I would say are harder than manga because it is in all text form rather than illustrated and paneled like manga is.

You also rarely see the art style in the LN perfectly adapted into the anime either.

Also in some LNs inner dialogue is just as important (such as Oregairu, Hachiman's inner dialogue makes the LN that much better than the anime).

Besides most LN adaptions that only last a season are rushed to hell to serve as advertisements anyways (although that is the case for manga adaptions too, but not nearly as much).
Aug 10, 2015 8:13 PM

Jan 2014
Suikomaru said:
Okay,point no.2 was covered. Now we move to question no.1: Are adapting all the LNs is necessary? Why (not)?

Not necessary but it would be nice to see at least 3-6 LNs being adapted each year. The studio just need to be faithful to the LN material and everything will be fine.
Aug 10, 2015 8:30 PM

May 2015
iNoto-san said:
Suikomaru said:

Not necessary but it would be nice to see at least 3-6 LNs being adapted each year. The studio just need to be faithful to the LN material and everything will be fine.
I hope so.... just don't be like Mahou Sensou (overhyped af, but ended up being a garbage)
Aug 10, 2015 9:00 PM

May 2015
Zergneedsfood said:
No, no, and no.
Why, why, and why?
Aug 10, 2015 9:12 PM

May 2015
Zergneedsfood said:
1. Not all books are adapted into movies. Why? Because some just aren't fit for a visual medium.

2. There's nothing that suggests that an LN is somehow intrinsically harder to adapt. What, because it doesn't have any pictures? That really doesn't say much.

3. Plenty of LNs are pretty bad but their anime adaptations make up for it. If Welcome to the NHK is considered an LN, I'd say that's a good example since the book is pretty bad but the anime is quite good. I'd imagine other anime such as Kino no Tabi, Baccano, and others have some strengths that don't exist in their LN counterparts.
Okay, thx for the input
Aug 10, 2015 9:15 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
2. There's nothing that suggests that an LN is somehow intrinsically harder to adapt. What, because it doesn't have any pictures? That really doesn't say much.

...but LN do have pictures.
Aug 10, 2015 9:19 PM

May 2015
fst said:
Zergneedsfood said:

Pictures from LN doesn't help that much in adapting an anime. Maybe it works for key visuals...
Aug 10, 2015 9:20 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
fst said:
I mean......just more reasons why I have no respect for them? :3

Well your lack of basic fact checking is one more reason I don't respect you.
Aug 10, 2015 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
fst said:
Well your lack of basic fact checking is one more reason I don't respect you.
Oh please. LNs having pictures is such a false equivalence with what I was talking about. At this point you're just fishing for reasons to insult me. How tsun of you. <3

Besides, I didn't even know you read. ;)

I don't.
Aug 10, 2015 9:30 PM
Apr 2013
Suikomaru said:
However, LNs like HakoMari (which is one of the best LNs out there) is less likely being adapted because of the content itself.

Hah, am glad the Japanese doesn't hold the same sentiments.

In any case,

1. Not really but some LNs work better with visual and audio presentations. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is a good example of this before they decided to rush it into the oblivion at the last few episodes.
2. Generally yes but it does gives the studio more room for imagination when determining the layout of a scene. If the director is competent that is, it will be better in animated form.
3. For starters, I don't agree with MAL's choice of best LN being Maria. Nevertheless, I don't agree as it depends entirely on the content itself as stated by others before me.
Aug 10, 2015 9:53 PM

Jan 2015
worldeditor11 said:
Suikomaru said:
However, LNs like HakoMari (which is one of the best LNs out there) is less likely being adapted because of the content itself.

In any case,

1. Not really but some LNs work better with visual and audio presentations. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is a good example of this before they decided to rush it into the oblivion at the last few episodes.
2. Generally yes but it does gives the studio more room for imagination when determining the layout of a scene. If the director is competent that is, it will be better in animated form.
3. For starters, I don't agree with MAL's choice of best LN being Maria. Nevertheless, I don't agree as it depends entirely on the content itself as stated by others before me.

You dropped Hakomari?.Shame on you.Hakomari is the best LN,deal with it.
Rance X is A GOAT.
Aug 10, 2015 9:57 PM
Apr 2013
barthos said:
worldeditor11 said:

In any case,

You dropped Hakomari?.Shame on you.Hakomari is the best LN,deal with it.

I dropped Aria too.
Aug 11, 2015 2:30 AM

Feb 2013
i like the idea of ln adaptations more than manga, because lns are usually untranslated

too bad ln's have such a bad track record when it comes to complete adaptations

Zergneedsfood said:
manga adaptations can go panel by panel, which make the storyboard part easier
Aug 11, 2015 2:35 AM

Apr 2013
Suikomaru said:
In recent years, there are tons of LNs that were adapted into animes. But frankly, most of them turns out to being "shitty" ones (for example: Mahouka and SAO). Thankfully, some LNs (like Monogatari series) can be adapted in the nice way. However, LNs like HakoMari (which is one of the best LNs out there) is less likely being adapted because of the content itself.

In this case, there are 3 main questions:
*Is it necessary that all LNs should being adapted into anime?
*Are you agree that "best LN" should be keep in its original form?

Discuss

1) I don't think there is more than 1% of the LN market being adapted into an anime so that first question is, well...
2) it definitely is. A novel sometimes has mind trick that wouldn't work or hardly work with visuals. Some has very long explanations not fit for an anime media. (the later can be adapted but it will usually won't sell)
3) No, I don't. If you adapt a LN into an anime, the novel will not lose anything from it, it will gain more buyers maybe, so the only change is positive. The anime is great? The anime is awful? The anime respect the original works, It doesn't respect it at all? That doesn't matter for anyone else than anime watchers.

Suikomaru said:
fst said:

Pictures from LN doesn't help that much in adapting an anime. Maybe it works for key visuals...

That's about it yes.
Besides, not all Ln have illustrations, and even among those who have, some has almost none.
Aug 11, 2015 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
Zergneedsfood said:
fst said:
I mean......just more reasons why I have no respect for them? :3

I am not fan of the illustrations in LNs,though I do not really mind them.

What matters the most is the text.
Aug 11, 2015 2:43 AM

May 2015
From the start most light novels are really, really shitty. They are meant to be written in "anime way" and I think adaptation would do good.
The problem is that in most cases they get adapted horribly so it's depend on the execution.
Aug 11, 2015 5:47 AM

Jan 2015
I don't know whats wrong with studios adapting light novels and hardly putting any effort into it. I'm talking about those action/harem/romance like absolute duo, blade dance, kyuusen whatever that's airing this season. Like fighting scenes are crap and the only thing people usually watch for are the romance/ecchi elements. Do people actually buy that crap?
Aug 11, 2015 1:16 PM

Apr 2013
TakeruChan said:
From the start most light novels are really, really shitty. They are meant to be written in "anime way"

That made me laugh. Don't revert thing please ~
Aug 11, 2015 1:18 PM

Mar 2015
i don't think amount of picture is make something harder to adapt. with that logic, original anime should be hardest one, but still lot of original series make every years anyways.
Aug 11, 2015 1:21 PM

Feb 2015
Adapting Hakomari is a different issue though.Its just that the way its written,its pretty much close to impossible to replicate the same in an anime adaptation.
Aug 11, 2015 1:24 PM

Aug 2010
Is it necessary that all LNs should being adapted into anime?
*Are you agree that "best LN" should be keep in its original form

At the rate that anime is churned out it might just be necessary lol. Like every semi popular manga and LN get one. If they stopped, they might have to come up with an original idea, and no ones got time for that.

i dont think its more difficult.... might even be a little easier. With less visuals, the anime is more free too make some decisions here and there with out the fans going crazy over changes

solid meh, animation is a different medium - you have to changes some stuff automatically. Other than that, you gotta think about who's your audience and maybe make changes for that too.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Aug 11, 2015 1:30 PM

Apr 2014
Manga in some way is similar to storyboard, so if you just follow the manga faithfully, there's a little chance that you gonna messed up the adaptation.
Meanwhile LN is just a novel with illustration here and there, and those illustration is mostly for the sake of introducing character design, it's hardly helping in the production of the anime.
So yes, it's harder to adapt Ln than manga.
tr1ckst3rAug 11, 2015 1:36 PM
Aug 11, 2015 2:43 PM

Jan 2014
Suikomaru said:
iNoto-san said:

I hope so.... just don't be like Mahou Sensou (overhyped af, but ended up being a garbage)

That anime was a disaster, utter trash.
Aug 15, 2015 2:22 AM

Apr 2013
IIRC Mahou sensou is one of the most rushed LN adaptation in the history of anime, if not the most rushed.
So it makes sense it wasn't good...

More topics from this board

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

16 by redorzo »»
43 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

91 by AxiaG »»
1 minute ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

36 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

38 by AxiaG »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

15 by AxiaG »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.