Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ace of the Diamond
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2015 2:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this is something of an episode. While it concentrated on the conclusion match, there's also a lot of interesting reflection between Eijun and his team.

Funny how he got scolded on the field a bit for some of his reckless plays though XD. Still, it was nice to see the play working out well. Grats Seido.
Stark700Aug 10, 2015 3:44 AM
Aug 10, 2015 4:00 AM
Jun 2015
1 week and 10 seconds of the match, WTF! :o

I hope Eijun will be the first pitcher for the next match ^^
Aug 10, 2015 5:29 AM

Jul 2014
I've been saying it since season 1, that sawamura needs to learn the changeup, and it seems like kataoka and miyuki both have ideas about making him learn am off speed pitch now, finally! A changeup or a slider would both be good, if he'll learn a curveball too that would be even better, though that will be pushing it.
How do I signature?
Aug 10, 2015 5:48 AM

Jan 2012
Damn you Zono >< I really don't think what Miyuki said to Nabe is that wrong... what he might have done wrong is just that he assumed Nabe would quit...
Aug 10, 2015 6:38 AM
Jul 2014
tape465 said:

LOL, the audience doesn't know if the game is going to immediately end after the at bat with Umemiya. My bet is that what was shown in the preview is going to be an entire episode all together, and then save the conclusion of the Seido game until the end of the episode or even all the way to the episode after that.

I'll take my apology now. Seriously though, that was the dumbest cliffhanger in the history of anime I think. Broke the tension and drama of the episode, only to shove it into a 40 second bit at the beginning where 25~ seconds or more of it was recap from the previous episode. Then the game is over. Great stuff.

The only thing I particularly enjoyed about this episode was the revealed theory that Sawamura is really just there to push Furuya. I don't think 'The Devil', as I am now going to call him, is correct here though. It seems to me like the Coach is spending way more time with Sawamura then he is with Furuya, I bet his long-term goal is to make Sawamura a monster pitcher with tons of variety and tactics. Fastballs aren't everything.
Aug 10, 2015 6:51 AM

May 2011
Lyrisia said:
Damn you Zono >< I really don't think what Miyuki said to Nabe is that wrong... what he might have done wrong is just that he assumed Nabe would quit...

You may be right. Miyuki's words can either make Nabe stay and keep his passion for baseball burning or cause him emotionally break down and quite. Zono was afraid of the latter, of course. I can't blame him from doing so though as most players would probably end up in the latter

But well, from Kuramochi's flashback, the previous batch of year 3 fought a lot too and thanks to that, they bonded really well (that flashback made me miss them haha). I'm sure many can foresee the same thing happening to them as well.

Ugh I really don't like that new coach Ochiai, his beliefs are so unbelievable. I really wanted to see how Coach Kataoka respond to that bashing though, or maybe he just kept in silence all the way (which was disappointing). After all, he has been questioning coach Kataoka's coaching style and even condemns it ever since he appears in the series.

Conflict within coaches and conflict within teammates at the same time. Hmm I wonder if that's gonna affect something.

Great episode as usual.

Ehlana said:
1 week and 10 seconds of the match, WTF! :o

Yeah I'll prefer the game to end in the previous episode. The tensions and feels are all gone when I watch how the game ended in this episode.
Aug 10, 2015 7:02 AM

Apr 2011
See... I told ya that the cliffhanger was pointless. Also, get lost and never come back, Ugumori. Quite frankly, the most boring of the teams that have played Seido yet (well, amongst the important ones, at least).

Well, we're gonna see Sawamura with the change-up soon, I guess. Probably in time for the game against Yakushi. Also, no real point in trying to make a cliffhanger with Manaka's successor after having shown Sawamura pitching against Raichi in the OP.
Aug 10, 2015 7:49 AM

Jul 2010
Glad to finally see the pitch, though something made me think otherwise.

The conflict in Seido is as strong as ever, it doesn't look like it would end anytime soon. It would be great to hear Nabe's thoughts to break down some of the tensions, though how some of the players are "choosing" sides seems sort of weird.

It was nice to hear where Sawamura would be heading as a pitcher. I wonder when Ochiai would ever be convinced enough to not think that everything is about Furuya, and that the ace spot can be contested. How he manages to twist other people's words and "understanding" what the other is thinking... is amazing in its own way.

Furuya with an injury, the catcher has a good eye to notice it. Hope is isn't anything big, as I don't exactly enjoy an injury giving other pitchers a chance to pitch. It hardly feels like the pitching time is "earned", which is what makes it rewarding.
Aug 10, 2015 7:51 AM

Jul 2013
They changed the Yakushi-Akikawa game slightly from the manga. In the manga Shunshin actually gave up two homeruns to Raichi over the course of the game and Yakushi won 2-0. My guess is they changed it to create at least a little bit of drama and tension.

Also, I really hope that Ugumori wins the next East Tokyo Summer Qualifiers so that they get to Koshien. They deserve it.
Aug 10, 2015 8:27 AM
Jan 2014
The great thing about this is that the anime finally caught up to the translated chapters. So from here on out, the manga readers are just as clueless as the rest! Instead of having to wait every few weeks to read a chapter, I can watch multiple chapters in one episode/week!
Aug 10, 2015 8:56 AM

Jul 2014

Sooooo, Gyroball?
Aug 10, 2015 9:38 AM
Aug 2013
Am I the only one that gets pissed off when they call Furuya the ace??? I hope Sawamura will steal his number!! And wtf with the new coach??? He's looking so down on Sawamura!! He's annoying! I hope there are guys out there who share my feelings xD
Aug 10, 2015 11:52 AM
Nov 2010
GSupernova said:

I'll take my apology now. Seriously though, that was the dumbest cliffhanger in the history of anime I think. Broke the tension and drama of the episode, only to shove it into a 40 second bit at the beginning where 25~ seconds or more of it was recap from the previous episode. Then the game is over. Great stuff.

The only thing I particularly enjoyed about this episode was the revealed theory that Sawamura is really just there to push Furuya. I don't think 'The Devil', as I am now going to call him, is correct here though. It seems to me like the Coach is spending way more time with Sawamura then he is with Furuya, I bet his long-term goal is to make Sawamura a monster pitcher with tons of variety and tactics. Fastballs aren't everything.

Yeah although the conclusion of the game was awesome, to suddenly move from that into post opening song really felt like a stumble in pace. Really jarring. I also noticed it looked like Sawamura catched it but suddenly showed Kuramochi throwing it above the 2nd runner's head. That was also kinda jarring as well. The use of no sound was great, and the implication of the outcome of the call based off the stills but it seemed like they skipped it just to fit those seconds before the op.

Personally I don't see what's wrong with the Coach pitting them against each other unless he really intends on never giving Sawamura a chance. It was interesting to hear the Coach give his long term goals of Sawamura, past the time he plans on staying. Hopefully we'll gain some insight on his own thoughts of his employment at some point.
Aug 10, 2015 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
Alright episode, the conclusion had some nice animation but it was over suddenly.
Aug 10, 2015 12:42 PM

Jun 2014
So I got so pissed off with Ochiai I left this comment on KissAnime:

""So Sawamura is just a stimulant to make Furuya better?"
Someone stab a metal chair with a knife, and then smack him over the head with said chair and impale his face on the knife sticking out of it.

And then set him on fire."

Pretty much summarises my opinion on that bastard. Don't get me wrong, I like Furuya (took me a while though) but god damn it pisses me off when Ochiai decides that he's the only one worthy of attention just because his skill is more noticeable and flashier than Sawamura's and Kawakami's.

But I've read the manga. I pretty much knew that the episode would start the way it did. Sawamura was the closing pitcher. It was never going to last long. But I'm cool with it because I know what happens from this point on.
Aug 10, 2015 12:55 PM

Jul 2014
I had no idea so many people disliked Furuya-sama. Sawamura seems like way too much of a gag character 90% of the time and it takes away from the tension, he's like a little brother begging for attention.
Aug 10, 2015 1:24 PM

Mar 2012
Did Raichi just set the ball on fire?
Aug 10, 2015 1:35 PM

Jul 2012
eyyy finally over this match. I'm really glad for Seido even tho I'm sad for the other team. Nao's backstory was too short but I still shed a few tears, not gonna lie! I wish that team got more time in this series.

ibear said:
I had no idea so many people disliked Furuya-sama. Sawamura seems like way too much of a gag character 90% of the time and it takes away from the tension, he's like a little brother begging for attention.

Furuya's plays are very dull and uninteresting. He would suit the supporting role much better, like Haruichi or Kuramochi. Sawamura's plays are always unexpected and full of spirit which is enjoyable. And I happen to adore his chirping in the background. It adds so much light heartedness to the serious games.

beaunaratau said:
So I got so pissed off with Ochiai I left this comment on KissAnime:

""So Sawamura is just a stimulant to make Furuya better?"
Someone stab a metal chair with a knife, and then smack him over the head with said chair and impale his face on the knife sticking out of it.

And then set him on fire."

Pretty much summarises my opinion on that bastard. Don't get me wrong, I like Furuya (took me a while though) but god damn it pisses me off when Ochiai decides that he's the only one worthy of attention just because his skill is more noticeable and flashier than Sawamura's and Kawakami's.

Ugh, I know right. This guy doesn't see any potential in the other pitchers. I hope he gets better.
Aug 10, 2015 2:26 PM

May 2015
That was an okay episode.

I'm a bit sad for Shunshin and Akikawa tho, really liked this team back when they played against Seido.

I hope we won't see Furuya playing for too long next time, he's a bit boring to watch when he plays
Aug 10, 2015 2:34 PM

Jun 2014
ibear said:

He's Seido's mood changer; last season, he cheered up his team before they went back out onto the pitch. Even though they yelled at him and kicked him a bit, the dark aura surrounding them lifted and they were able to go out and play without fear.

This season, Sawamura encouraged Furuya to keep going and get that final out already, when it looked like Furuya was about to give up. They're rivals. Sawamura wants that ace position that Furuya has, but he's capable of putting that aside and cheering Furuya on and making him realise exactly why he has the ace position in the first place. That's big.

There's nothing wrong with the main character having a gag-like quality about him; for many people, they get won over because of his personality. It's like Zono said in the show: he has a monster like Furuya right next to him, but he (Sawamura) doesn't give up on being the ace. Sawamura is quirky, definitely, but he's driven and focused as well. He's multi-faceted. That's what makes him interesting, and that's why people like him over Furuya.
Aug 10, 2015 4:17 PM

Nov 2010
Fine episode for sure, but I'll reiterate what I said last week - the conclusion to the match would've been much more effective and gratifying if it had been done last week, I mean, they only needed another 2 minutes. It was still cool seeing it this week, sure, but the tension wasn't there anymore and it sort of just ended. They pretty much butchered the climax of the game for anyone watching this on a weekly basis.
Aug 10, 2015 4:57 PM

Jul 2012
beaunaratau said:
There's nothing wrong with the main character having a gag-like quality about him; for many people, they get won over because of his personality. It's like Zono said in the show: he has a monster like Furuya right next to him, but he (Sawamura) doesn't give up on being the ace. Sawamura is quirky, definitely, but he's driven and focused as well. He's multi-faceted. That's what makes him interesting, and that's why people like him over Furuya.

+111 This yo
I love him because of his spirit and peppiness c:
Aug 10, 2015 5:12 PM

Jul 2014
I see what you're all saying, I just didn't notice how much people disliked Furuya in comparison, like they really don't like him at all. In the last episode I loved Sawamura's stern talk with Furuya, and I want to see more of him with that attitude, beyond his inner monologues. To me the ace pitcher on a baseball team needs to be either the stoic type, Furuya, or the relentlessly cocky, Goro. Sawamura when he's not yelling could be the relentlessly cocky type like Goro. And just to be clear this mostly a desire for during the games, on the mound or in the dugout. Outside of the games I actually like his personality, to a point, mainly because that's when it seems like the whole team is meant to be the main character and the mesh of all personalities is really enjoyable.
Aug 10, 2015 7:03 PM

Jul 2009
Shunshin rocks. Wish they won.

I seriously hate that damn side coach. He loves off Furuya too much. Kataoka isn't think the same things as you! Grrrrr (that other background coach/assistant guy is super annoying too)
Aug 11, 2015 4:54 AM

Jan 2011
I really enjoyed this episode. Seidou beat Ugumori although it did end quite abruptly. Glad to see Sawamura's pitch caught Umemiya off guard though. Shunchen vs Raichi was also pretty awesome. It's such a shame Shunchen's pitch ended up being hit by Raichi and it was a homerun too; Raichi is such a beast. The drama in the 2nd half was quite interesting. That one character noticing Furuya injured his foot was very surprising. Hope it's nothing too serious.
Aug 11, 2015 8:23 AM

Sep 2014
I liked how they focused on other teams after Seido's match finished up. Was good to see Shunshin again, I like the guy. Well with Furuya injured, maybe Sawamura can finally play a full game without anyone taking away his spot. One step closer to ace!
Aug 11, 2015 9:17 AM
May 2010
beaunaratau said:
ibear said:

He's Seido's mood changer; last season, he cheered up his team before they went back out onto the pitch. Even though they yelled at him and kicked him a bit, the dark aura surrounding them lifted and they were able to go out and play without fear.

This season, Sawamura encouraged Furuya to keep going and get that final out already, when it looked like Furuya was about to give up. They're rivals. Sawamura wants that ace position that Furuya has, but he's capable of putting that aside and cheering Furuya on and making him realise exactly why he has the ace position in the first place. That's big.

^ this.
100% agree to the last part.
Aug 11, 2015 10:01 AM

Nov 2010
Well, i think we all knew that was coming but still, it was great.
Aug 11, 2015 5:30 PM

Oct 2011
Furuya's injuries come to light OMG

OCHIA GRRRRRR DIE!!!!!!
Aug 13, 2015 2:37 AM
Jul 2018
The cliffhanger last time for a 30 second conclusion this time? Kind of killed it tbh even though this episode was more enjoyable than last time. Zono is kind of getting on my nerves, I know what Miyuki said wasnt what a captain should say but it wasnt wrong either.

I'm hoping Furuya's injury isn't serious, I enjoy his monster pitches more than Sawamura's even though the latter is still enjoyable to watch.
Aug 14, 2015 1:01 AM

Feb 2012
Na its clear the Coach want Sawamura to become the ultimate closer for seido while Furuya improves accuracy & stamina
Aug 14, 2015 12:49 PM

Oct 2013
Sawamura with a good breaking ball will be a huge threat considering that he already has control over his incourse and outcourse and a normal pitch that has weird timing.
Aug 15, 2015 3:35 AM

Jul 2012
I was so confused when they said "Game Set!" after the OP. I didn't realize that they also got the 3rd guy out without really showing it.

Looks like Furuya won't be playing in the next game, or will be limited at least. Looking forward to more Sawamura! :D

Oh yeah, Ochiai can fuck off. Why'd they have to make the guy so dislikable?!
Aug 24, 2015 9:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ochiai, why you gotta be so rude? :( Kataoka doesn't favor Furuya, he wants both Eijun and Furuya to keep improving. But Ochiai says such hopeless things, ugh.

Man that play in the beginning was amazing, with Eijun quickly picking up the ball and then Kuramochi jumping over the player to throw to first base. Couldn't not rewatch it. I don't care much for Ugumori, except Nao's backstory did get me, so I didn't get quite as sad as I do when the opposing team loses (well Taiyou's team was alright too). But I'm kind of sad that Shunshin's team lost. Raichi's funny, but Seidou's already faced Yakushi twice, even if once was just a practice game.
Sep 24, 2015 7:19 PM
Oct 2014
If Sawamura would have screwed up this time I would seriously think the author hated him xP
Dec 4, 2015 4:19 PM

Jun 2009
Drop the score from 6 to 4 after this match. why the fuck the author became a retard and drop Inashiro as next opponent.
FUCK HIM! he messed his own story!
Oct 26, 2016 9:59 AM
Aug 2016
anybody watching this in 2016? XD
Jan 15, 2017 2:40 PM

Sep 2015
Yay a breaking ball coming for Sawamura in the future :3
Sep 20, 2018 7:59 PM

Dec 2013
That game ended fast!

Poor Shunshin...

Why would he need a shot? Lol
Jan 9, 2019 1:26 PM

Nov 2016
Most retarded cliffhanger I've ever seen.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 2019 1:00 PM

May 2015
Shunshin :(
I'd like to see him play Seido one day.

Unsettling episode towards the end. Nabe, come on, just say your thing whatever you meant to say!

Ochiai, stop being so head over heels with Furuya, argh.
Dec 11, 2019 8:53 PM

Sep 2018
It's sad for Nao ;( but I'm happy Seidou win!!!! ❤

ohh Akikawa vs Yakushi!! I want another Yakushi vs Seidou though but I think Ichidai will be next opponent of Seidou, they haven't play against each other before!

I feel sad again for Shu huhuhuhu but he's really good!

So annoying to always heard about "ace" competition!! that's irrelevant!! as long as they pitch, they're all ace!!! grrr
Nov 1, 2021 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
Pointless cliffhanger last episode and showing Eijun's last pitch here really killed all the tension.

Ochiai is such a huge joke. 'Sawamura is just stimulant for Furuya', I mean the reverse is also true hence the rivalry Kataoka wants is good for both of them.

Jul 10, 2023 9:50 PM

Aug 2019
Oh, there’s something wrong with his feet.

Zono, my dude, you’re taking this way too personal.

again this horrible assistant coach, all you do is talk negatively about Eijun’s skills. He could win nationals, and this coach will somehow manage to speak poorly of him. Anything Eijun does is luck for them, getting tired of this narrative. Just respect his skills like you do Furuya's.
Sun_ChanJul 10, 2023 10:01 PM
Jul 28, 2023 3:04 PM

May 2018
Ochiai and his harsh words again! Well, I don't think Furuya's foot hurts too bad. At worst, maybe the coach will bench him out for the next game, and it's up to Sawamura.
Aug 4, 2023 5:38 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Great ep. Cool to all the other teams as well.

Still on Miyuki’s side for sure

Yea I don’t like the new side characters on Seido. Annoying “na” kid every 2 seconds, angry nobody with spiked hair, bald Tanba 2.0 but boring… I definitely prefer those three 2nd-years who were contemplating quitting
(sorry to hate lol)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2016

139 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 14, 2023 3:40 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2015

50 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 11, 2023 5:00 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2015

35 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 11, 2023 1:23 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25, 2015

47 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 11, 2023 7:49 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2015

55 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.