Forums

MAL API returns 400 Bad Request (Fixed)

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 12, 2015 11:45 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I never said we didn't have a development team. Perhaps you misunderstood something I said in regards to your offer to help dev for the site; e.g. we don't have any developers on the volunteer staff.

As for the logs you posted, this was from before MAL migrated servers, from before the staff and the site were informed we changed owners. I explained that the API was on the board to be changed in 2013, as many of the other major 3rd party application devs already know because they were invited to a club to discuss changes. The hacker then ruined whatever development may have been planned there, because Crave then took 8-9 months to add BBcode back to the site - and that's pretty much the last we saw of them.

Whatever the API history with Crave, that's not the situation now. We do have a dedicated development team from DeNA, of which one representative answered some questions along with Xinil at Reddit's AMA. And as Xinil said, changes to the API are planned. We're pushing very hard for this because we know how frustrating this is, and has been, for developers. And that the 3rd party app devs have really contributed to keeping the site alive in our dark-code times.

Xinil gets an amazing amount of messages every day. I've been trying to facilitate contact between you two as best as I can. Perhaps all you see from my efforts are "apologies", but those words are born of sincere empathy for your frustration.

For everyone else,

Kineta said:
It's being looked into and will be fixed
This is still true. We appreciate your patience for a bit longer.
KinetaAug 12, 2015 11:52 AM
Aug 12, 2015 12:15 PM

Oct 2009
Kineta said:
I never said we didn't have a development team.

Yes, but Ratan12 already explained that in this development team there is only one coder:
Ratan12 said:
coder is a part of dev team. dev team isn't necessarily working on this website. Basically he told the truth and we are thinking things wrong. There is not a dev team working on MAL. only a social media team.
Aug 12, 2015 12:40 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Serhiyko said:
Yes, but Ratan12 already explained that in this development team there is only one coder:
Ratan12 said:
coder is a part of dev team. dev team isn't necessarily working on this website. Basically he told the truth and we are thinking things wrong. There is not a dev team working on MAL. only a social media team.
With all due respect, Ratan12 isn't aware of how our development team (team = more than one person) is structured. And how it is structured isn't really relevant. So let's please stop going around with this.
Aug 12, 2015 1:03 PM

Oct 2009
Kineta said:
With all due respect, Ratan12 isn't aware of how our development team (team = more than one person) is structured. And how it is structured isn't really relevant. So let's please stop going around with this.

So you plan to keep in secret the number of coders in your team? You only said that you have a team, which is what Ratan12 said as well, and the question here is not whether you have a team or not, but the number of coders and testers in it
Aug 12, 2015 1:43 PM

Nov 2007
I can understand the sentiment: If there's only one backend developer in the team—there may be other frontend developers in it—things are bound to move slowly. If that's the reason we are yet to see the current issue entirely fixed, it might be a good idea to get some help. That said, I'd like to stress that posting a private conversation without the other person's consent is not cool, Ratan12. You should have known better.
Aug 12, 2015 1:57 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
How DeNA staffs its development team is their concern and responsibility, not ours. Our concern in this thread is whether the API bug will be fixed, and when. I've given all the information I have on that, and have inquired about it again. Will let you all know more as I know more.

And in case it's still not clear after all of these years, the volunteer staff for the site (the members on the team page) do not code.
That includes me.
KinetaAug 12, 2015 2:00 PM
Aug 12, 2015 2:02 PM

Apr 2013
erengy said:
I'd like to stress that posting a private conversation without the other person's consent is not cool, Ratan12. You should have known better.

Yeah, was very irritated with the fact we get blamed by users. My apologies Kineta. Unlike messages users do not often change their ratings in store. I still remember some things in the past around the DDOS attack which makes me uncomfortable.

Seeing how devs get blamed for hours of coding doesn't make me happy at all. My apologies once again.

Btw the unofficial API does contain a fix so users who are using it could pull it.
[center]
Aug 12, 2015 2:04 PM

Nov 2007
Getting back to the topic at hand, while I doubt I can provide more information on the issue, if I were you, I'd probably investigate why the requests return both the expected output (e.g. "Updated") and the following HTML nonsense. It's also related to the fact that list update methods are POST requests; other API methods work just fine. A quick search revealed that a similar case was suspected to be related to Apache's mod_security settings, so that might be a clue too.
Aug 12, 2015 2:15 PM

Oct 2009
Kineta said:
How DeNA staffs its development team is their concern and responsibility, not ours. Our concern in this thread is whether the API bug will be fixed, and when. I've given all the information I have on that, and have inquired about it again. Will let you all know more as I know more.

So you avoid the question
Our concern is why the API bug is there in the first place. If there is at least one tester who actually does some testing before making any changes, why has this bug (and multiple others) happened at all?
Aug 12, 2015 10:34 PM

Jun 2011
It looks like this bug is fixed now.
Pocket MAL - MAL client for Android
Aug 12, 2015 10:47 PM
Aug 2015
G-Lodan said:

Yeah its working now. BTW thanks for your app keep it up!
Aug 12, 2015 10:52 PM

Jun 2011
jraympres2 said:
G-Lodan said:

Yeah its working now. BTW thanks for your app keep it up!

I'll try but it's quite difficult with current API. As was mentioned in this thread maybe one day MAL improves their API and I can make much better app.
G-LodanAug 12, 2015 10:55 PM
Pocket MAL - MAL client for Android
Aug 12, 2015 11:51 PM

Nov 2007
I can confirm that list update methods work properly now. /api/animelist/update and /api/animelist/delete return 200 OK with the expected response body, and /api/animelist/add returns 201 Created.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that /api/animelist/add is supposed to "return the unique ID of the row generated by the insert", according to the API documentation. However, it returns some random HTML. You should fix this behavior sometime and/or update the documentation (without breaking backwards compatibility, of course). Note that this issue has been introduced about four years ago, so it's not quite related to this topic.
Aug 13, 2015 2:50 AM

Jul 2007
Was this removed? "http://myanimelist.net/includes/ajax.inc.php?t=50"

Been using it to determine whether episode threads exist, but it returns only 400 Bad Request now, and I can't replicate this call even in the browser anymore.
Aug 13, 2015 3:38 AM

Nov 2007
It's still there, but I think it requires you to provide a csrf_token alongside epNum, aid and id now.
Aug 13, 2015 3:38 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
@erengy: Thanks for your post (#60); I believe this information helped solve the issue.

erengy said:
You should fix this behavior sometime and/or update the documentation (without breaking backwards compatibility, of course). Note that this issue has been introduced about four years ago, so it's not quite related to this topic.
I can pass it on to Xinil for consideration on updating the documentation, but my guess is this won't be fixed until the API gets its facelift.
Aug 13, 2015 1:25 PM

Jul 2007
erengy said:
It's still there, but I think it requires you to provide a csrf_token alongside epNum, aid and id now.

Tried already before posting.
Aug 13, 2015 2:42 PM

Nov 2007
From what I can tell, it works as long as you provide a valid MALSESSIONID too. Otherwise it returns "Invalid login auth". The following HTTP request works for me:

POST http://myanimelist.net/includes/ajax.inc.php?t=50 HTTP/1.1
Host: myanimelist.net
Accept: */*
Content-Length: (...)
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Cookie: MALSESSIONID=(...); is_logged_in=1

epNum=(...)&aid=(...)&id=(...)&csrf_token=(...)
Aug 14, 2015 6:01 AM

Jul 2007
erengy said:

nvm me, csrf <> crsf
Aug 15, 2015 12:51 PM

Oct 2008
i was suddenly logged-out with this 400 whatever error!
hopefully firefox saved my comments (cuz im just normally posting on discussions)

is it server side? or browser side?!?

Aug 15, 2015 1:09 PM

Oct 2009
matias067 said:
hopefully firefox saved my comments (cuz im just normally posting on discussions)

What does it have to do with API?
Aug 16, 2015 2:41 AM

Jan 2009
Serhiyko said:
matias067 said:

What does it have to do with API?

i bet he does not know what an API is and just see and consider the 400 bad request error that he got
Sep 1, 2015 1:59 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I've been consistently getting this error for about a week now when trying to post in the club comments section of the Light Novels Alliance club:
http://i.imgur.com/Ddc5Ah0.png

Literally no other club gives me this problem that I've seen, so I'm not entirely sure what the deal is here. Any ideas?
Sep 1, 2015 2:31 PM

Oct 2009
HaXXspetten said:
I've been consistently getting this error for about a week now when trying to post in the club comments section of the Light Novels Alliance club:
http://i.imgur.com/Ddc5Ah0.png

Literally no other club gives me this problem that I've seen, so I'm not entirely sure what the deal is here. Any ideas?

What does it have to do with the API?
Possibly related:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1415661
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1415819
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1416077
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1423152
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3371 by Munyuu_ »»
34 minutes ago

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
2 hours ago

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
8 hours ago

» Backup

Vapor_AU - Yesterday

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
Yesterday, 8:23 PM

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Apr 23, 3:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.