Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2015 4:13 PM
Dec 2009
Is it just me, or has the meaning of the word seemed to have degenerated overtime? When I think of a badass character, I think of a character that sends chills down your spine whenever they walk onscreen and it feels you with a sense of fear and awe. Nowadays, it seems like that term can apply to any character! People tend to assume that just because a character has a few badass moments, that suddenly makes them a badass character! I'm sorry but, no, it doesn't. Even if a character has a few moments of badassery, if he/she acts weak and pathetic most of the time, then I STILL don't consider that character to be a badass. He/she would have to do a complete 180 in their personality to impress me. I think the word seems to have lost it's edge. What are your thoughts?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 7, 2015 4:18 PM

Jul 2013
Are you implying that Ren-chon isn't the most badass character ever?

Seriously though the same can be said about a lot of other words. Edgy, GAR, moe, over/underrated, masterpiece... all get thrown around just like that.
Aug 7, 2015 4:34 PM

Sep 2013
THANK YOU, OP!
Aug 7, 2015 4:51 PM

May 2015
A Badass is an Ass that is Bad. Like Gilgamesh from the Fate series.
Aug 7, 2015 5:03 PM

Apr 2013
It's always been a juvenile term so how much could it have degraded.
Aug 7, 2015 5:06 PM

Dec 2013
Terms like this will always be thrown mindlessly.
Aug 7, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2014
In my opinion, "badass" characters are:

-1) made of "steel".
Steel balls, steel nerves, steel temperament, steel attitude, steel stare, ect...
They face dangers with a incredible cool attitude.

-2) physically impressive.
I think It important to look strong with at least a athletic body. It gives them a "experimented" fighter aspect. If they look like teenage copslay FF characters, It ruins the "badass" aspect...

-3) not big-head.
They're naturally badass!
They don't need to scream around they're the strongest ones, the Manly Man of the Manly men, have a penis so big who they can pierce the heaven or act like a fool.
Aug 7, 2015 6:24 PM
Mar 2014
when i think of a badass character, i think of midoriya izuku
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Aug 7, 2015 6:25 PM
Jul 2015
Balong said:

-1) made of "steel".
Steel balls, steel nerves, steel temperament, steel attitude, steel stare, ect...

I think It important to look strong with at least a athletic body. It gives them a "experimented" fighter aspect. If they look like teenage copslay FF characters, It ruins the "badass" aspect...

-3) not big-head.
They don't need to scream around they're the strongest ones, the Manly Man of the Manly men, have a penis so big who they can pierce the heaven or act like a fool.

So made of steel, big muscles, and a small head. How about Optimus Prime?
Aug 7, 2015 6:26 PM

Mar 2015
Tarotist said:
Well said.
Aug 7, 2015 6:29 PM

Jan 2014
Whenever someone recommend me an anime with a badass MC I think that the main character is calm and reserved but when someone tries to act smart around the MC, shit is going down.
Aug 7, 2015 7:10 PM

Sep 2013
If this isn't badass, then nothing is.

Aug 7, 2015 7:11 PM

May 2012
ichii_1 said:

how is that badass?
Aug 7, 2015 7:12 PM
Dec 2011
1. Strong / Aggressive personality.
2. No fear
3. Sick physique
4. High combat skills

AKA Guts or Giichi
Aug 7, 2015 7:15 PM

Mar 2015
Balong said:

-1) made of "steel".

-3) not big-head.

Well that's how I tended to interpret the term, but a lot of people don't consider 3) a criteria, which is why the likes of Kamina get considered "badass". I also think "badassery" is tangent to quality of character design, in that being a badass isn't a good or bad thing. If I were to give examples of truest of true badasses, I'd say Sir Integra (rather than Alucard) from Hellsing Ultimate, and Levi (rather than Mikasa) from Attack on Titan.
Aug 7, 2015 7:20 PM

Jan 2015
Interesting badass.

Poorly written "badass."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's either a hit or a miss, really.
Aug 7, 2015 7:23 PM

Jul 2015
ToastofJustice said:
Interesting badass.

Poorly written "badass."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

whats the difference between these two?
Aug 7, 2015 7:26 PM

Jan 2015
saddy34 said:
ToastofJustice said:
Interesting badass.

Poorly written "badass."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

One of them is a Gary Stu, and the other is someone who, while is quite cool, is incredibly flawed and human.

Guts is probably a better example than Spike.
Aug 7, 2015 7:30 PM

Sep 2013
PoeticJustice said:
ichii_1 said:

how is that badass?

Casually reaching into his extra dimensional item holder and taking out a freaking water pitcher XD
Plus he's an elder lich which is badass by default.
Aug 7, 2015 7:33 PM

Jul 2013
saddy34 said:
ToastofJustice said:
Interesting badass.

Poorly written "badass."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spike is a chill guy, has personality and we get to learn more about him through out the series. He's badass for the sake of the story.
Kirito is a wannabe cool otaku with little to no personality, who is also great at games and plenty of other shit. He's "badass" for the sake of self inserting. Also let's not forget the gamer girlfriend, loli, cousin for the sake of pseudo incest and the other 2 chicks because why not.
Aug 7, 2015 7:48 PM

Jan 2014
I'd say that there's a difference between 'cool' and 'badass', and Spike would fall under the former.

Anyway, 'badass' just like any other term would be subject to dilution overtime.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 7, 2015 8:02 PM

Jan 2015
RedRoseFring said:
I'd say that there's a difference between 'cool' and 'badass', and Spike would fall under the former.

Anyway, 'badass' just like any other term would be subject to dilution overtime.

Indeed.
Aug 7, 2015 8:06 PM

Apr 2014
I'm calling lolis badass these days, it's weird.
Aug 7, 2015 8:10 PM

Mar 2014
You can tell someone is badass by looking at them and what they do.
Aug 7, 2015 8:33 PM

Jan 2015
Its a bad ass if you cant make it do what you wanna do like telling it to giddy up but it kicked you instead
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Aug 7, 2015 8:42 PM
Jun 2015
iNoto-san said:
Whenever someone recommend me an anime with a badass MC I think that the main character is calm and reserved but when someone tries to act smart around the MC, shit is going down.

This is pretty much what I think of when I hear bad ass. They are usually one of the good guys with a dark past and stoic personality who aren't afraid to whoop ass and turn on their dark side when needed.

Bad ass is too comical to be used for truly evil villians in my opinion.

Killua is a character I consider bad ass
Aug 7, 2015 9:08 PM

Apr 2013
A true badass is Takamura.

Never takes shit seriously, fucks around with everyone he sees and when someone fucks with him, shit goes down.
Aug 7, 2015 9:14 PM

Jul 2015
hoopla123 said:

Never takes shit seriously, fucks around with everyone he sees and when someone fucks with him, shit goes down.

who?
Aug 7, 2015 9:20 PM

Oct 2011
I agree that just because a character has one or more badass moment doesn't mean he/she is a badass character. A badass character for me would maintain that kind of vibe throughout the rest of the show. Though there may be moments when that character loses it because of some traumatic/tragic event but will eventually adjust to the situation and regain his badass vibe.
Aug 7, 2015 9:21 PM

Aug 2015
saddy34 said:
hoopla123 said:

who?
Dem, dat heut.

Tarotist said:

*slow clap*
Aug 7, 2015 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
AttackOnTetris said:
Balong said:

-1) made of "steel".

-3) not big-head.

Well that's how I tended to interpret the term, but a lot of people don't consider 3) a criteria, which is why the likes of Kamina get considered "badass". I also think "badassery" is tangent to quality of character design, in that being a badass isn't a good or bad thing. If I were to give examples of truest of true badasses, I'd say Sir Integra (rather than Alucard) from Hellsing Ultimate, and Levi (rather than Mikasa) from Attack on Titan.

I always felt like Kamina acts the way he does in order to be an inspiration to Simon and eventually others, rather than appear impressive and manly. I'm sure he enjoys being seen as manly and all, but his attitude strikes me more as that of a good guy who's concerned for both his bullied, insecure friend and humanity as a whole, and wants to inspire people to do good and not give up. Regardless of the stupid stuff he pulls, he strikes me as self-aware enough in his quieter moments that I can't really see him as big-headed, not to mention he outright encourages Simon to take the lead at times. He even admits he admires Simon. That's not really the way someone arrogant acts to me.
Aug 7, 2015 10:18 PM

Apr 2013
saddy34 said:
hoopla123 said:

who?

Watch more animu pleb

Aug 7, 2015 10:29 PM

Jun 2014
I like some badass Anime girls, such as Priss Asagiri and Misumi Nagisa.

Aug 7, 2015 10:49 PM

Sep 2013
when i think of badass, i think of Lu Bu
wow
Aug 7, 2015 10:51 PM

Jun 2014
MundaneAfro said:

Yes, fully agreed.

May we discuss "good ass" next? (;
Aug 7, 2015 10:59 PM
Aug 2014
This is implying the term "badass" has set in stone parameters. What you find badass I might not find to be badass. What you think it means might not be what I think it means.

I like to cook, so I might think something like "Damn that's a bad ass rice omelette" when I see some character make food, but you don't think it's badass, cause you don't care about that stuff.

It's all very relative to the person.
Aug 7, 2015 11:10 PM
Mar 2011
and the term is not unveral wither like and over musced guy that swems like there be an cpn of manliness in the west would een as some over coamsating in JAPAN muis one case kenshiro lol
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 7, 2015 11:23 PM

Mar 2015
DrCoppelius said:
AttackOnTetris said:

I always felt like Kamina acts the way he does in order to be an inspiration to Simon and eventually others, rather than appear impressive and manly. I'm sure he enjoys being seen as manly and all, but his attitude strikes me more as that of a good guy who's concerned for both his bullied, insecure friend and humanity as a whole, and wants to inspire people to do good and not give up. Regardless of the stupid stuff he pulls, he strikes me as self-aware enough in his quieter moments that I can't really see him as big-headed, not to mention he outright encourages Simon to take the lead at times. He even admits he admires Simon. That's not really the way someone arrogant acts to me.

Well, whatever you call him, he's too much of a loudmouth for #3. I mainly see "scream around like they're the strongest ones" and "act like a fool" applying to him.
Aug 7, 2015 11:29 PM

Jul 2015
Definition of badass ? Takamura.
Aug 7, 2015 11:43 PM

Jul 2015
Roy Mustang.
Aug 7, 2015 11:44 PM

Jun 2015
Definition of badass? 1 word, me.

#NoHate #NoShame #RealTalk
AYY LMAO
Aug 7, 2015 11:45 PM

Jul 2014
no
Aug 7, 2015 11:45 PM
Aug 7, 2015 11:46 PM

Aug 2015
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
MundaneAfro said:

Yes, fully agreed.

May we discuss "good ass" next? (;
liu bei ?
Aug 7, 2015 11:48 PM

Mar 2015
MundaneAfro said:

Huo Liaoyuan is better
Aug 7, 2015 11:55 PM

Jun 2014
saddy34 said:
hoopla123 said:

who?

An important character from Hajime no Ippo
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 8, 2015 12:29 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I'd say it has degenerated. I think it was due to people seeing that the word was used as positive for characters or whole shows, and borrowing for whatever they even mildly interesting.

HeroKenzan said:
MundaneAfro said:

Huo Liaoyuan is better

It's all about Cao Cao, you casuals.
Aug 8, 2015 12:29 AM

Dec 2012
Kruzy said:
Are you implying that Ren-chon isn't the most badass character ever?

I agree with this statement!
Aug 8, 2015 1:05 AM

Apr 2014
revy from black lagoon
Aug 8, 2015 1:14 AM
Jul 2018
Naruto
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

29 by Absurdo_N »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
2 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 39 minutes ago

7 by Jonas-K »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

112 by Kenzolo-folk »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.