Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2015 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
Jalleia said:
Apart from the violence being toned down and yes, the lack of blood, this episode was just awful.

People, it's understandable that it's the Japanese Self Defense Force we're talking about, but you cannot be serious in this exact moment that you say "it was justified" or "it was the right choice". Not to mention that I have the STRONG feeling that the only reason it didn't end up with the knights getting killed, was because they didn't want to see the "poor and unarmed"(/s) women killed in TIMES OF WAR, where in the episode NOTHING (not even the treaty) explicitily stated "We are now at peace" or "We now have a truce" considering that our MC did NOT have such an authority to begin with.
To me it seems this is nothing more than a case of plot induced stupidity, pointing a sword at someone, especially against a military pesonnel will not result in a cheap attempt at a comedic turn towards the end.

Do you want to go more in depth about the history of one of the worst nations to deal with in war? The very same nation that has demonstrated that in times of war they were incapable of treating OTHER human beings that were NOT Japanese, and even themselves at times, with the respect commonly expected by hundreds of other nations around the world. Of course everyone has had their fair share of atrocities, but the Japanese military was especially cruel. It's possible that today it's a completely different thing, but I doubt it's that much different when there are still people that staunchly deny that the atrocities they committed were real. The part with the treaty was the most ironically hypocritical thing to show. For all we know they really have changed their ways, who knows, but I'm sorry I'm not going to believe that.
The suspension of disbelief required here was way too much, it made me doubt whether I should continue watching the show.

I just can't fathom how they could screw it up so much with one simple thing. It's pretty clear where this is going with this kind of main character and toned down plot. Let's say that our world would like to colonise the new one (in real life the likelihood that such thing would happen would be absurd) where it was even hinted in the anime, where do you think it's going to go? Of course it's going to be the PC choice of (just like Outbreak Company) saving those people. But what kind of retarded excuse is going to be used? It would have been fine if they came up with more realistic choices, especially with the themes they're handling and with the show's intent to be taken seriously. But no, I would have been ok if, while following the anime they would have given a GOOD reason or act more realistically, and we've seen it in the world, in real life information during war time is controlled (as others have stated) and fabricating information in gray areas is not too hard for the victor. But no, instead we need to go on because we can't see some pretty girls getting killed. The JSDF being competent is one thing, but ignoring the realities of war is just way too much.

They literally tell you that Japan is trying to make peaceful relations with the people. I don'tget how hard that is to understand. People =/= empire. Also you do realize that shooting an important figure in the other army, especially when your under a treaty you know about is a direct sign of war right? That's STUPID. The Japanese don't want to destroy the people cause that's fucking pointless. They know they can and will win, and probably destroy everything. Why not make friends, helps alot. And also you saw comedy at the end? Get fucking real. You should realize by now the harem thing is a mere joke the anime likes to make at Itami being an otaku, these girl WILL NOT join his harem, neither do most of the women he meets in this series.

Itami isn't in highschool. Not everything is solved by shooting every person you meet. He is ordered to make relations with the people. Plus Rose order knights are directly under the empire. Killing them is like going up to one of the foreign ambassadors and shooting them in the face. You don't do that. You just don't.
removed-userAug 9, 2015 9:04 AM
Aug 9, 2015 9:06 AM

Apr 2012
Jonny_Mhl said:
Well looks like all the Gate ''fights'' will be one-sided until the end. I can't call this a fight, it's a total one-sided massacre and I really hope this change in the next episodes.

this

helicopters vs pikemen
is this interesting? no its just boring
where is interesting characters, plot twists, drama, emotions?

5/10, near drop

PS reminder for some ecstatic kids - Apocalypse Now is a very dark and antiwar movie
karneheniAug 9, 2015 9:22 AM
Aug 9, 2015 9:37 AM
Oct 2012
Visceras said:
Though why did they disappear ?

As Leilei said, once she starts killing they would disappear

Visceras said:
People were still dying so idk why all of a sudden she is fine to kill some sons of bitches

This wasn't focused on (neither in the Manga), but remember that the attackers said that they were going to sack the town and then die. Wrong reason, they stopped being soldiers and instead became suicidal thugs. At that point they were no long showing death its proper respect, and as the bandits show, once that is done, Rori can kill them.

[quote=Jonny_Mhl[/quote]Well looks like all the Gate ''fights'' will be one-sided until the end. I can't call this a fight, it's a total one-sided massacre and I really hope this change in the next episodes.[/quote]
You should like the next fight.
Aug 9, 2015 9:52 AM
Jun 2014
So... Is this now turning into another harem series with the MC being the target of comic relief and being a simple punching bag?
Aug 9, 2015 10:11 AM
Oct 2012
Stormen said:
So... Is this now turning into another harem series with the MC being the target of comic relief and being a simple punching bag?

Not really. Let me just say everything that people see as a demerit gets turned into a joke later, and then stops happening.

While there will be a few more women in Itami's orbit in the next couple of weeks and while the show uses this fact for the occasional bit of light humor, the show never becomes about a harem.
Aug 9, 2015 10:52 AM

Sep 2013
MrJc said:
kataklism said:

and neither are lelei, tuka(kind of) the medic or kuribayashi.

yup the only one that is actually crazy about him/ wants his D and to stay by his side is

Of course I dont mean it as an actual harem. I was more or less joking.

Well the meaning of harem in anime anyway is much different than whats in the dictionary. You can only have two girls liking the mc but lots of female characters and its marketed as a harem. Love hina, ao yori aoshi, hoshizora hdjsidh etc.

I know gate is not harem Im not stupid.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 9, 2015 11:35 AM

May 2015
I really love the way that this anime is developing.

The fights are boring? It's possible... and?...

It's a medieval civilization vs modern technology... What did you expect? It's not a fair fight. Of course. That is the message.

Some animes like this, try to create spectacular battles with overpowered magicians or others stupid events to keep people entertained and ruin the anime.

This anime try to focus on relations with other countries and new races. And sooner or later with other countries that want to invade this world.

The real enemy in this show, are the forces on the other side of the door, EEUU, China... etc.

Aug 9, 2015 12:09 PM

May 2013
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Have you seen how there were so many corpses in this episode without any trace of blood whatsoever?

We are shown from quite a distance and their cloths probably absorbed most of the blood. Remember, dead people hearts stop beating so bleeding basically stops and those died quite fast.

And how the people shot by rotary cannons & not even bleeding?

We are not shown the corpses of the brigands inside the gate, otherwise we would have seen people missing limbs altogether.

I am not asking for gushing blood like in Akame ga Kill or Code Geass, I am asking for at least a trace of blood. I have seen how people got injured many times & they're definitely not as clean as the ones in this episode.

You will have to accept that this series does not emphasize the bloodshed, we know it is in there, but you will not see any closeups or pannings of the carnage.
Aug 9, 2015 12:26 PM
May 2015
This anime is more and more boring. They literally fucked up the almost too good to be true plot.
It seems only the bunch of Naruto's fanboys still like this kind of anime. Seriously, I really want to facepalm.

You really want to watch an anime of 24 episodes, with so-called "enemies" being slaughtered with no mercy while the MC built up his harem?

I have never seen a worse MC, really. An "otaku" which by the merest chance, finds himself in the thick of the action, whereas he do his worst to be not part of the japan's army.

It would be so much better, with a MC who's afraid but with some military background and wants to protect his country, sent in recognition through the Gate to gather some intel. Not a gigantic army which has no meaning at all, before invading, it's better to see what kind of world you have in front of you... sigh. The idea was so great, and it felt so flat, really I'm disappointed.

The characters are so cliché, the tomboy girl, the timid elf, quiet wizard and crazy as fuck lolita. They have virtually no personality, special mention to the girls who join the army like that, without reason.

It would be so much better if Rory for example, was leading a resistance movement against the army and with her skills, slaughtered some of the SDF.
It would be so much better if the "wizards" in the country do something against the helicopters, tanks and others, since magic exist in that world (although it seem to be non-existant in this show).

Really, it's plain boring and could be easily improved in many ways, but no, the writer is a dumbass who wants to satisfy his lolis fantasies, with no knowledge at all in good storytelling. It looks like it was written by a teenager (as those who gave 5/5 to this episode)

It's not much the one-sided slaughter which makes this anime look flat, or the OP MC, it's because there is no goal behind the action. Really. Where is the plot ? They passed the gate and slaughtered everyone without thinking.

If I compare with Overlord, which is also an OP MC in a new world who easily slaughtered his ennemis, there is still a meaning behind that. He didn't wipe the all country whereas he has the ability to do so. No, he searched the best way to gather informations about this new world, and act gradually and wisely.

This is who you write a good plot. I'm not here to convince everybody to drop this anime, but don't tell me this story is well-written, because it's not.
Aug 9, 2015 12:36 PM

Jul 2011
bibotot said:
This episode is the best of the series so far. However, that is not saying much.

The part with the helicopters and the song, I thought I was watching one of those movies about the Vietnam War. As a person from Vietnam, I am not too bothered by that. The atmosphere of that scene is great.

The actions are quite nice with the SDF just absolutely massacre the brigands like they were nothing. That's what you get for bringing swords and spears against heavy machine guns. And Rory helps too. She is awesome.

What I am concerned is that there are many female warriors in this anime, and so far, all the deaths are men. I don't want to raise some sexist discussion here, but I would like if there are females among the brigands just as there are females among the knights.

The brigands feel dumb. They already take out one of the Imperial commander, and they are still confined to the area around the gate until morning. And then that leader gives a big talk, which is cheesy and feels like some generic villainy quote. I have no idea why at least a few of them are not running amok around the town, killing and pillaging.

I still don't find myself too attached with either the elf or the mage. I hope they get more involved later on.

Overall, this episode gets 3.5 out of 5 from me. I don't like previous episodes which consist mostly of build-up and some rather tamed interactions. However, this episode renews my hope with the series. I truly hope it will continue down the right track.

all the harpies are females, in the manga some harpies die iirc, but afaik there hasn't been a single female human "common enemy" to be killed in either the manga or anime.
Aug 9, 2015 12:50 PM
Mar 2010
Why does people assuming there world be a harem when a female character shows up damn WTF are you guys freaking V***ins or something.

Edit: Scratch the V***ns part forgot this is an anime site and practically most of the people here are actual V***ns sorry.
HELLSATANAug 9, 2015 12:53 PM
Aug 9, 2015 12:56 PM
May 2015
HELLSATAN said:
Why does people assuming there world be a harem when a female character shows up damn WTF are you guys freaking V***ins or something.

Edit: Scratch the V***ns part forgot this is an anime site and practically most of the people here are actual V***ns sorry.

It would be funny if you haven't already 673 posts in it, dumbass.
Aug 9, 2015 1:50 PM

Nov 2014
Meh 6 eps in and you are already saying this will be shit. Maybe it will but maybe not.

For me it's fine the way it is. I've not read the novel but I doubt they will not find some hard enemy to deal with. This is an anime, and the MC is like a lot of MC right there.

Someone said that only silly Naruto fan's would like this anime and then says that he wanted some pussy MC instead of this one because he kills people with no mercy. If you haven´t payed attention yet, they only killed those who attacked them and those who attacked the people that they wanted to make a deal with. And by the way he is a soldier, not some 16 year old guy who got some power and is now affraid of some shit.

*sigh* this anime doesn´t suck if it doesn´t have your favourite type of MC .. chill out if you don´t like drop it. Now don´t make other people drop it just because this anime doesn´t look like your favourite anime.

Aug 9, 2015 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
Sakiru said:
This anime is more and more boring. They literally fucked up the almost too good to be true plot.
It seems only the bunch of Naruto's fanboys still like this kind of anime. Seriously, I really want to facepalm.

You really want to watch an anime of 24 episodes, with so-called "enemies" being slaughtered with no mercy while the MC built up his harem?

I have never seen a worse MC, really. An "otaku" which by the merest chance, finds himself in the thick of the action, whereas he do his worst to be not part of the japan's army.

It would be so much better, with a MC who's afraid but with some military background and wants to protect his country, sent in recognition through the Gate to gather some intel. Not a gigantic army which has no meaning at all, before invading, it's better to see what kind of world you have in front of you... sigh. The idea was so great, and it felt so flat, really I'm disappointed.

The characters are so cliché, the tomboy girl, the timid elf, quiet wizard and crazy as fuck lolita. They have virtually no personality, special mention to the girls who join the army like that, without reason.

It would be so much better if Rory for example, was leading a resistance movement against the army and with her skills, slaughtered some of the SDF.
It would be so much better if the "wizards" in the country do something against the helicopters, tanks and others, since magic exist in that world (although it seem to be non-existant in this show).

Really, it's plain boring and could be easily improved in many ways, but no, the writer is a dumbass who wants to satisfy his lolis fantasies, with no knowledge at all in good storytelling. It looks like it was written by a teenager (as those who gave 5/5 to this episode)

It's not much the one-sided slaughter which makes this anime look flat, or the OP MC, it's because there is no goal behind the action. Really. Where is the plot ? They passed the gate and slaughtered everyone without thinking.

If I compare with Overlord, which is also an OP MC in a new world who easily slaughtered his ennemis, there is still a meaning behind that. He didn't wipe the all country whereas he has the ability to do so. No, he searched the best way to gather informations about this new world, and act gradually and wisely.

This is who you write a good plot. I'm not here to convince everybody to drop this anime, but don't tell me this story is well-written, because it's not.

Not going to force you back to watch this because dear god no that's a terrible life decision on my part, but to correct some things.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It seems only the bunch of Naruto's fanboys still like this kind of anime. Seriously, I really want to facepalm."
... okay... this line was seriously just stupid, because your making a generalization about everyone's tastes. I stopped watching Naruto a long time ago. Grow up. If you want to express an opinion, don't try to say fuck you to everyone who likes an anime. That is literally how every flame war began. Not to mention that it makes your comment sound really immature.

They are trying to make peaceful relations with the people. That was the current goal. They just use the military to get rid of hostile threats. Also what makes the MC OP? He doesn't really do much to warrant being OP himself. Like he does nothing. He shoots like everyone else and leads a team. That is literally all he does.

Also no, MC does not really build a harem in an anime sense of the term (assuming your using it in such a way) in fact for the most part of this anime those three girls are the ones that really are apart of his "harem" and only one actually has feelings for him. Rest are kind of there because they are important to the story. No they do not love him. And no this is not about building a harem.

"...Girls join the army like that." What were you trying to say with this line.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway I don't really criticize that you don't like the anime. Everyone has different taste. It's the reason why some people can't stand why Hellsing Ultimate is popular. It's like one of those shows that you watch because it's fun to see what happens and how things will happen, even if you see what happens from a mile away.

removed-userAug 9, 2015 3:06 PM
Aug 9, 2015 3:12 PM

Feb 2008
OP loli priestess and the Ride of the Valkyries.

Great!
Aug 9, 2015 3:34 PM
Jul 2015
Sakiru said:

The Empire marched across the gate slaughtering everybody in their path, and you expect them, assuming anybody from Japan reaches anywhere that has an Imperial Barracks, to be as merciful as to let the person across the gate just waltz around trying to learn the language?

Sakiru said:

Magic is existant and imho realistically portrayed. Magicians can stand a chance against modern equipment
HOWEVER

Sakiru said:

They slaughtered their enemies because their enemies have an intention to kill. The enemy never sent a delegation to negotiate with the other party before sending an army in. In which case they have announced their intentions clearly in a military POV.

Sakiru said:
It looks like it was written by a teenager (as those who gave 5/5 to this episode)

So sayeth the man who labels others as teenagers for simply giving the show a 5/5?

Sakiru said:

Then that is your opinion. Don't go slandering others opinion as per above as it makes you just as immature as you labeled them as.
Aug 9, 2015 3:41 PM

Aug 2011
Rory-sama please take my soul

» Escapism.

Aug 9, 2015 4:28 PM

Mar 2015
hinore said:

But then that's the original point of Gate: this isn't war, it's just killing baby seals.

I doubt that, because if that were true the JSDF would simply roll through the Empire and seize it by force. Nothing remotely like that has happened. They established a base to secure the approach to the Gate, sent out recon parties, and defended their base when attacked. No pursuit of defeated forces (which is a really key indicator).
The sword that takes life gives life
Aug 9, 2015 4:33 PM

Mar 2015
hinore said:
Genix said:

How is that a good thing?! Why do some people hate fansevice? Now I feel like reading the manga more lol

Also, @hinore:

Dude, it's called diplomacy. Building good relations with the locals would move more along their agenda. Didn't you see how the public reacted back home in Japan when news about the Fire Drake's slaughtering of the elf village? They pointed fingers at the Army for over use of force.

Soldiers don't practice diplomacy when someone is pointing a weapon at your throat.

Understand the situation:

They left their buddy, their superior officer with the enemy. An enemy that doesn't understand to treat their prisoners well, remember the treaty?

Now look at the real world.

Would you Leave your buddy with the VC or NVA during Vietnam?

How about in Iraq or Afghanistan?

How 'diplomatic' are you going to be?

How is this situation different?

And you can't say they aren't the enemy. Itami told everyone who they were, and given their treatment at swordpoint, it was obvious they didn't know about the treaty.

So would you leave your friend with an enemy who didn't know the war was over and hope they didn't torture or outright behead him?

As for the overuse of force. The soldier in the protected area won't know that because all news is censored in the battle theatre. One of the lessons learned from Vietnam.

For me it would depend on the situation, and the officer. If I trusted him enough to let him make the call, then I'd pull the unit back. If I thought he was an idiot butter bar then hell no.

I'll bet you the Sergeant Major pulled back but is keeping those knights under observation.

Just remember the difference between a Soldier and a Warrior: to a Warrior his persona achievements are paramount, to a Soldier discipline and the mission are paramount.
Aug 9, 2015 4:47 PM

Mar 2015
I have noticed some posters deploring the actions of the JSDF against the Empire. I find this sadly amusing. Apparently they would rather support the Empire which has demonstrated it deliberately targets unarmed civilians and takes slaves. So far, the JSDF has only targeted armed, attacking soldiers and brigands. I surmise they are stuck in a mindset of Military = Evil and they can't break those chains of thought.
Aug 9, 2015 6:41 PM

Aug 2013
Excellent episode, violence was not spared, as well as the quantity of action, at first thought the anime would present a simple plot and as well as the development, but every episode I'm surprising me, further in this episode also showed a great reference to a mariores scenes of the cinema, I'm increasingly excited to continue watching the anime ..
Aug 9, 2015 6:48 PM

Dec 2012
mangamuscle said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Have you seen how there were so many corpses in this episode without any trace of blood whatsoever?

We are shown from quite a distance and their cloths probably absorbed most of the blood. Remember, dead people hearts stop beating so bleeding basically stops and those died quite fast.

And how the people shot by rotary cannons & not even bleeding?

We are not shown the corpses of the brigands inside the gate, otherwise we would have seen people missing limbs altogether.

I am not asking for gushing blood like in Akame ga Kill or Code Geass, I am asking for at least a trace of blood. I have seen how people got injured many times & they're definitely not as clean as the ones in this episode.

You will have to accept that this series does not emphasize the bloodshed, we know it is in there, but you will not see any closeups or pannings of the carnage.

Unfortunately, even their clothes did not have any blood on it. And there's even an up close scene to the corpses, & there's not blood at all. I mean, come on. Do not try to defend this anime too much. Please rewatch it again & see it for yourself how squeaky clean the battlefield was. Even when we were shown the aftermath, there's no blood on any of the corpses. I like this anime so far, but I would not go that far to defend it like you do.

The brigands outside the gate were also shot by the rotary cannons, & there's no blood.

I understand that, but then try to do a better job at hiding the need for bloodshed. For example, do not show the aftermath of the battle if they really do not want to show blood. And if they do want to show it, then show us some blood.
I like anime.
Aug 9, 2015 9:41 PM
Nov 2012
Sakiru said:

The anime producers left out a key scene from the first episode. That's misleading people who didn't read the manga. In the manga, the Imperial general shows no doubts, and instead declares victory, far too soon.

Declaring victory, on top of a pile of bodies in front of the Ginza Wako department store. Big mistake.

Because that's not in the anime, it's not clear why the JSDF goes in heavy. The JSDF does start by sending scouts, as the JDSF commander mentions before the troops enter the Gate. They report back that there's enemy on the other side. So the JSDF puts the tanks up front, where they belong. It's all downhill for the Imperial Army from then on.
Aug 9, 2015 9:50 PM
Jul 2015
Top_Sergeant said:
I have noticed some posters deploring the actions of the JSDF against the Empire. I find this sadly amusing. Apparently they would rather support the Empire which has demonstrated it deliberately targets unarmed civilians and takes slaves. So far, the JSDF has only targeted armed, attacking soldiers and brigands. I surmise they are stuck in a mindset of Military = Evil and they can't break those chains of thought.

The JSDF still maintain its pacifist because they didn't want to become the next IJA who has commited a LOT of war crimes.

Not mentioning there's news about 'Civilians getting killed in the other side of the Gate' and some peoples think they got trapped during a battle and killed by JGSDF's stray bullets and don't forget one of the main plots (the diplomatic pressure from the foreign nations (US, China, Russia, etc)). In episode 2, there were many demonstrants demanded the government to close the Gate.

That's why, the JSDF don't go all trigger-happy on the Imperial Army, except for Self-Defense only.

The other reasons they are following their Rules of Engagements.
Aug 10, 2015 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
That was a fun episode even though I wish it was bloodier, it will have a much more intense feel i it was imo. Rory was badass and I can't wait to see what will happen next time.
Aug 10, 2015 2:02 AM

Jul 2014
I just love the senseless hate that this anime receives. Just because it is different.

While i do not wish to compare the two, SAO received the same senseless hate. (I know this will receive a lot of hate because "how can someone like sao"!) Ok, but that is not the point. The point is that i am tired of all of this.

Im tired of "This anime is shit" "This anime needs that" "Im dropping this anime" "Everyone who watches this is an idiot"

Why cant we all agree that all anime is different? There is no "good" or "bad" anime. There is only different anime.

If you dont like a certain anime. Just dont watch it. Nobody should care why you dont like it. Nobody should care that you are dropping it, do you announce to the whole world when you are taking a dump? I for sure dont.

These haters cant even understand that this anime isnt about war and fighting only.This is not hellsing or that type of anime where in every episode someones head will go off.

This anime focuses on other things.

The same haters are the biggest hypocrites i have ever seen posting anywhere. They cry out against the "op" army or the "op" MC of gate. Yet love the same op Mc in Overlord.

Well, one last thing for the haters. If your brain doesnt have enough power to understand a plot or a story that isnt spoon fed to you, doesnt mean the story isnt there.

Rant over.
There is no "Good or "bad" anime. There is only different anime.
Aug 10, 2015 3:19 AM
Oct 2013
For those who want Rory Mercury Hot HTML5-GIF:

http://gfycat.com/PolishedThoughtfulEastsiberianlaika
http://gfycat.com/FamousGregariousHalcyon
http://gfycat.com/DampMeagerHorseshoebat

If you're new to gfycat, then I assure you these links are valid and safe although gfycat name their links randomly weird. And no, I'm not trolling. I've the original with Audio but YT is not loading on my pc for the meantime.
Aug 10, 2015 5:07 AM

Mar 2009
xcess090 said:
That was a fun episode even though I wish it was bloodier, it will have a much more intense feel i it was imo. Rory was badass and I can't wait to see what will happen next time.
Actually I'd say this was at least more realistic than certain other anime with mass killings because GATE actually directly shows people die.
Aug 10, 2015 6:20 AM

Jul 2015
Too much moe, too less blood compared to manga. dropped
Aug 10, 2015 7:01 AM

Jul 2014
Manjuu said:
xcess090 said:
Actually I'd say this was at least more realistic than certain other anime with mass killings because GATE actually directly shows people die.

Well, you know. If a single human doesnt spill 10 liters of blood then that anime is not violent enough, not realistic enough, nnot bloody enoug, too moe, too disneyfied, etc....
Aug 10, 2015 8:40 AM
May 2015
Dextix said:
I just love the senseless hate that this anime receives. Just because it is different.

While i do not wish to compare the two, SAO received the same senseless hate. (I know this will receive a lot of hate because "how can someone like sao"!) Ok, but that is not the point. The point is that i am tired of all of this.

Im tired of "This anime is shit" "This anime needs that" "Im dropping this anime" "Everyone who watches this is an idiot"

Why cant we all agree that all anime is different? There is no "good" or "bad" anime. There is only different anime.

If you dont like a certain anime. Just dont watch it. Nobody should care why you dont like it. Nobody should care that you are dropping it, do you announce to the whole world when you are taking a dump? I for sure dont.

These haters cant even understand that this anime isnt about war and fighting only.This is not hellsing or that type of anime where in every episode someones head will go off.

The same haters are the biggest hypocrites i have ever seen posting anywhere. They cry out against the "op" army or the "op" MC of gate. Yet love the same op Mc in Overlord.

Well, one last thing for the haters. If your brain doesnt have enough power to understand a plot or a story that isnt spoon fed to you, doesnt mean the story isnt there.

Rant over.

Go watch Log Horizon and you'll see that SAO is not well-written, they fucked up the LN and made a big harem with a little to none explanations of the mechanics of the game. And Kirito is the OP MC which passes through the whole game by himself although it's supposed to be colaborative, just because well... it's the MC. And the little touch of incest is great too.

Overlord as I explained, is not based on some stupid MC fan of lolis with no brain at all, who complains in every episode that he wouldn't like to be there, in case we had forgotten. Overlord is a well-written LN, because each character is fully developed and doesn't follow some stupid stereotype. The MC is a mastermind who weighs every decision before acting, although he has the power to slaughter the whole country.

This anime is weak on many points, and on top of that it displays too much fanservice. Maybe the manga is better, but I don't want to lose my time to read that.
Aug 10, 2015 8:57 AM
Oct 2014
SayuriUliana said:
greed2 said:
I kind of laughed when that soldier literally started the music, ride of the valkyries, as if that would ever happen in an actual military mission.

Actually, it does. The US military has a habit of doing such things, such as in both Gulf Wars. This link has more on that:

http://www.psywarrior.com/MusicUsePSYOP.html

See the sections starting from "Vietnam" below, which list several examples of music being played going into, and during battle, like the following from the link:

"Flying in Army helicopters they played taped music…over enemy territory. The purpose…was to draw enemy fire in order to pinpoint the location of the Viet Cong on the ground. Orbiting gunships would then swoop down for the kill…The heavy metal rock music selection by Iron Butterfly was the most effective noise for drawing enemy fire. "

And another good example:

"During the November 2004 battle of Fallujah, Marine Humvees with loudspeakers blasted the song “Back in Black,” by the heavy metal band AC/DC, during the fighting. There were also reports that the Americans “played the cavalry charge and loud sonar pings, along with the sounds of maniacal laughter and babies wailing.” Another tactic employed in the battle for Fallujah was disrupting the insurgent’s ability to rally their troops by playing high-pitched whines from loudspeakers whenever the insurgents issued their calls to arms over their own loudspeakers. These often ad hoc tactics are meant to frighten and disrupt the minds of the enemy and may be especially effective among certain cultures. For example, during interrogations of Iraqi fighters, American interrogators played the song "Enter Sandman" by the heavy metal group Metallica. The interrogators reported that this was an especially effective interrogation tool. "

Of course they would use music as some sort of (positive) psychological warfare. Armies have been known to use legitimate drugs to make soldiers fight better, so a bit of badass music is alright.
Aug 10, 2015 9:01 AM
Oct 2014
hinore said:
Jonny_Mhl said:
Well looks like all the Gate ''fights'' will be one-sided until the end. I can't call this a fight, it's a total one-sided massacre and I really hope this change in the next episodes.

3/5

Edit: loled at the choppers theme.

You'll be severely disappointed. Modern army vs. Roman army is gonna be a slaughter regardless.

But then that's the original point of Gate: this isn't war, it's just killing baby seals.

That did not prevent those Romans from trying, though. Their efforts were trounced.

Aug 10, 2015 9:26 AM
May 2014
Sakiru said:
This anime is weak on many points, and on top of that it displays too much fanservice. Maybe the manga is better, but I don't want to lose my time to read that.

The manga is better, but I think the anime has toned DOWN the "fanservice" along
with the violence, gore and so on.

While not perfect by a longshot, the anime is quite ok.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Aug 10, 2015 10:37 AM

Jul 2014
Sakiru said:
Dextix said:

Rant over.

Go watch Log Horizon and you'll see that SAO is not well-written, they fucked up the LN and made a big harem with a little to none explanations of the mechanics of the game. And Kirito is the OP MC which passes through the whole game by himself although it's supposed to be colaborative, just because well... it's the MC. And the little touch of incest is great too.

Overlord as I explained, is not based on some stupid MC fan of lolis with no brain at all, who complains in every episode that he wouldn't like to be there, in case we had forgotten. Overlord is a well-written LN, because each character is fully developed and doesn't follow some stupid stereotype. The MC is a mastermind who weighs every decision before acting, although he has the power to slaughter the whole country.

For your information, i have watched both. And you cant compare them. They are completely different. The only share a premise, and that is it. The meat inside the packet is completely different, doesnt mean that one is better than another, they just taste differently.

Also about the solo part. I found that "critique" to be funny. My whole mmorpg carrer i was a lone wolf. I soloed everything, even 4 man dungeons.. It is possible. It aint easy, but possible. The only time i grouped up with someone was in the big events, bigget than 4 player ones, because even i couldnt handle them.

Also there are many op MC's out there, and for some reason kirito receivesthe most hate.

And again, the critisism of MC of gate. Look, you may not like hes an otaku, but hes a pretty good guy. He doesnt complain, he does his duty. Also, overlord no matter how much i like it, doesnt have the best development or the most original characters.

Even momonga himself is a discount Lelouch.

Also, i like how everyone compares gate and overlord and says that Overlord is better because hes smart and thinks ahbout everything and treat gate people as merciless killers when they also think about their actions and do not act stupidly.

And that fanservice, i laughed. The only thing in this episode that can be treated as fanservice is where our favoritte waifu litterally came from the deaths. But that is just her character. I find it funny that people find gate "fanservicy" when overlord also has its scenes with fanservice and even legends like Code geass had them, even more of them.
Aug 10, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2015
First post on this show just because I loved the episode so much. Was literally just sitting on Crunchyroll waiting for this to become available.

It was just great, loved seeing the characters interacting, especially Kuribayashi and Rory. They had such great chemistry together I'd love to see them team up again in the future. Finally gave her something badass to do.

The ending was a bit silly though. I realise they have to make the JSDF finally be on the back foot but it feels more like an excuse to have him get caught by sexy knights than a real plot twist.

Kuribayashi is definitely the best girl though.

Not looking forwards to the next episode as much as I was looking forwards to this episode after 5, but still hopefully it'll be good and we get to see some more of Pina.

...also, those ringlets.
Aug 10, 2015 11:47 AM
May 2014
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
First post on this show just because I loved the episode so much. Was literally just sitting on Crunchyroll waiting for this to become available.

It was just great, loved seeing the characters interacting, especially Kuribayashi and Rory. They had such great chemistry together I'd love to see them team up again in the future. Finally gave her something badass to do.

The ending was a bit silly though. I realise they have to make the JSDF finally be on the back foot but it feels more like an excuse to have him get caught by sexy knights than a real plot twist.

Kuribayashi is definitely the best girl though.

Not looking forwards to the next episode as much as I was looking forwards to this episode after 5, but still hopefully it'll be good and we get to see some more of Pina.

...also, those ringlets.

Nah, it would be quite silly to inadvertently break the treaty just after signing it
(although that has happened many times in real life), so he tried to minimize the
scuffle until those knights get the update from the "horse's mouth".
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Aug 10, 2015 11:47 AM

Jul 2015
Dextix said:

And that fanservice, i laughed. The only thing in this episode that can be treated as fanservice is where our favoritte waifu litterally came from the deaths. But that is just her character. I find it funny that people find gate "fanservicy" when overlord also has its scenes with fanservice and even legends like Code geass had them, even more of them.

To be fair, most people don't know what fanservice is.

As someone who just finished watching Strike Witches and then started watching this, there is really no fanservice in this anime. Rory nearly came at the deaths but you saw nothing. The manga itself had full upskirt shots of her during combat, this does not.

Kuribayashi in the manga and LN has huge tits for no apparent reason, in this they are really toned down. In the manga she had a low cut tactical vest to show off her tits whilst in this she dresses like the men.

People just like to complain and it's sad to see that. Like the people who whine that this doesn't have much blood... I don't know why that somehow makes it worse for you, and this is coming from someone who is fine with lots of blood in anime.

The anime is fun, the characters are great, people just like to complain and think they're the true anime fans and anyone not like them isn't a 'true fan'.
Aug 10, 2015 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
konatachan80 said:

Nah, it would be quite silly to inadvertently break the treaty just after signing it
(although that has happened many times in real life), so he tried to minimize the

Hah, well, he could've just stayed in the car or fired a shot in the air. Getting out and walking right up to them was just the writer wanting to get their character caught. For all he knew they would have killed him immediately, so he hardly deliberately got himself caught to make friends.

The other soldiers just leaving him was a bit silly too. Can't say I'd see someone like Chuka or Rory who are obsessed with him, just letting him get kidnapped at sword tip, or a hot head like Kuri just watching casually.

Just felt a bit overly silly when they could've made it more realistic.
Aug 10, 2015 11:51 AM

Jul 2011
Dextix said:
Manjuu said:

Well, you know. If a single human doesnt spill 10 liters of blood then that anime is not violent enough, not realistic enough, nnot bloody enoug, too moe, too disneyfied, etc....

why does everyone in the world -not only on internet- think only in extremes? it's not "no blood" or "mortal kombat-style blood" you know, there could be "proper amount of blood" as well.
Aug 10, 2015 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
kataklism said:

why does everyone in the world -not only on internet- think only in extremes? it's not "no blood" or "mortal kombat-style blood" you know, there could be "proper amount of blood" as well.

Pretty much. I was happy with the amount of blood shown.

Just the weird alpha mentality of some anime fans, where everything has to be dark, gritty or bloody just to make them watch it. Like people who write off entire genres of anime as "too moe" or "for kids".

But hey, they're the ones losing out, not us.
Aug 10, 2015 12:03 PM
May 2014
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
Kuribayashi in the manga and LN has huge tits for no apparent reason, in this they are really toned down. In the manga she had a low cut tactical vest to show off her tits whilst in this she dresses like the men.

People just like to complain and it's sad to see that. Like the people who whine that this doesn't have much blood... I don't know why that somehow makes it worse for you, and this is coming from someone who is fine with lots of blood in anime.

The anime is fun, the characters are great, people just like to complain and think they're the true anime fans and anyone not like them isn't a 'true fan'.

lol, people tend to have the breasts they have for no apparent reason (until they get
assorted surgeries). Nature is a strange thing.

Apparently in the LN she's described as having quite large breasts for her small(ish) frame.
(I haven't read it myself, but someone mentioned it in another thread)

Was it really to "show them off", or was it because the regular uniform can be quite
uncomfortable if a female is "well-equipped"?

I think what's been complained about has been misunderstood slightly.
It isn't so much the violence, the blood, and whatnot.
It is how much it seem to deviate from the source in that regard.

In a disn*y world people probably could get killed with shots/swords/whatever and still not bleed.
Same is true in the Gate anime (excluding one or two drops in a couple of scenes)..
as opposed to the manga and to the LN (the descriptions seem to be rather..descriptive when it comes to violence).

However, I still think the anime is quite ok.
konatachan80Aug 10, 2015 12:20 PM
-- Lord fifth
Aug 10, 2015 12:30 PM
May 2014
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
konatachan80 said:

Hah, well, he could've just stayed in the car or fired a shot in the air. Getting out and walking right up to them was just the writer wanting to get their character caught. For all he knew they would have killed him immediately, so he hardly deliberately got himself caught to make friends.

The other soldiers just leaving him was a bit silly too. Can't say I'd see someone like Chuka or Rory who are obsessed with him, just letting him get kidnapped at sword tip, or a hot head like Kuri just watching casually.

Just felt a bit overly silly when they could've made it more realistic.

To someone that's never seen a gun (and what it can do) that would mean? loud noise?
But yes, it was a silly move.. then again, he's a bit goofy.

Most of the girls see him as their savior/rescuer, and Rory sees him like an interesting man.
Not to mention, Rory always seem curious about what he'll do in different situations.
Kuri (if you meant the one I talked about in the post above), well, she follows orders.

Basically, if he says "jump", they'll probably ask "how high"..but for different reasons.
konatachan80Aug 10, 2015 12:38 PM
-- Lord fifth
Aug 10, 2015 12:43 PM

Jul 2015
Heck yeah !!!!Dem otherworlders be like "DAFUQ is dat giant metal bird ??????!!!!!" and i'm like ,"U dumbasses don't stand a chance against modern warfare "
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Aug 10, 2015 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
Dextix said:
Manjuu said:

Doesn't need to be that bloody, just like Overlord and Rokka no Yuusha. The blood was there and it was more intense to me, that of course doesn't deny for 1 second that the episode was enjoyable and probably my favourite so far in this anime.
Aug 10, 2015 2:58 PM

Jul 2011
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
kataklism said:

Pretty much. I was happy with the amount of blood shown.

Just the weird alpha mentality of some anime fans, where everything has to be dark, gritty or bloody just to make them watch it. Like people who write off entire genres of anime as "too moe" or "for kids".

But hey, they're the ones losing out, not us.

personal opinion, but i too think there wasn't enough blood.

like, literally there wasn't blood, i didn't see a single drop of red liquid in the whole anime, i don't ask guts(i don't like seeing them anyway) just... blood, it feels like watching mediaset's one piece here.

yes, the original one piece had more blood than this, and i am talking about blood, the fluid, not about gore.
Aug 10, 2015 3:02 PM

Jul 2015
[quote=konatachan80
To someone that's never seen a gun (and what it can do) that would mean? loud noise?

Most of the girls see him as their savior/rescuer, and Rory sees him like an interesting man.
Not to mention, Rory always seem curious about what he'll do in different situations.
Kuri (if you meant the one I talked about in the post above), well, she follows orders.

Basically, if he says "jump", they'll probably ask "how high"..but for different reasons.[/quote]

A loud noise still makes animals run. They don't know what it is. And when they have heard of the weapons and what they did to their armies, they'd be scared.

I get you're trying to defend the scene, but it's plain silly. You say the girls see him as a saviour, which means they would want to help him when he's likely to be killed. Rory finds him interesting, yes, but she's unlikely to let him just get killed. Kuri also doesn't follow orders, that's kinda her bit. She's hot headed and charges into combat as shown in Episode 6, especially to defend her comrades. She charged in to defend Rory, so it's likely she'd do that even faster for someone she knows like Itama.

So yeah, still highly doubt they'd be like "Nevermind, he asked us to leave, let's leave him to die."

The point in my other post about her having huge breasts for no apparent reason is it doesn't really do anything for the character apart from add sex appeal. Naturally having large breasts is fine, when it's stuck in an anime and she has her vest tailored to make the tits look even bigger, it gets to the point where it's obvious what it was intended for. Just like the Strike Witches not wearing trousers. It's just an obvious choice for sex appeal.

In the LN she is meant to have a small frame but big boobs. In the manga she has quite a sturdy frame with even bigger boobs. Anime she is a normal woman with larger than average breasts for her size that aren't drawn attention to because she's always in full uniform.

I really disagree that Gate only has "a few drops". I remember blood in it quite frequently, especially in this most recent episode.

Honestly, I'm fine without there being tonnes of blood in it. Anime with lots of blood honestly don't tend to do that well or get remembered that fondly because they just go for "OMFG SO SHOCKING" route which many people get bored with quickly and it limits the potential viewing demographic when it really isn't very important to the story, such as Muv Luv: Alternative, Deadman Wonderland, Elfen Lied, Claymore, etc. One of the few that broke this rule was Attack on Titan and I'm not really sure why.

I like most of the anime I mentioned above, happy with blood and such but I really can't pretend that I'm upset that they made it less gory for the anime. They do that with quite a few anime, even things like Deadman Wonderland, Claymore, etc. They often tone down the gore and violence since when you show a still picture of something, it is rarely as tasteless or violent as it happening in motion.
Aug 10, 2015 3:17 PM

Jul 2015
kataklism said:

personal opinion, but i too think there wasn't enough blood.

like, literally there wasn't blood, i didn't see a single drop of red liquid in the whole anime, i don't ask guts(i don't like seeing them anyway) just... blood, it feels like watching mediaset's one piece here.

yes, the original one piece had more blood than this, and i am talking about blood, the fluid, not about gore.

To be fair, your eyes were closed then or you were watching a different anime. There was blood in it. That is simply a fact. Maybe you had some weird censored version (if that even exists) but I watched it on Crunchyroll and there was certainly blood.

Go back and watch it again. There were charred bodies after the dragon attack, blood coated Itama when he killed the guy during the initial attack, dragon got shredded by heli in first ep (not blood but shredded skin), orcs shredded in gunfire defending civilians, blood on the horse that got shot defending Leilei, blood when AA shot down dragon over the base, blood splatters when people were cut with swords in the opening attack, blood when the Lion dude was injured, blood on Kuribayashi's bayonet after she stabbed the huge guy,Rory had blood on her face after killing the captain of the guard, etc.

So... yeah... sorry, but you're just wrong. It really is as simple as that. Those are just the blood splatters I remember without going back to see the show, so I'm sure there are probably more than that.

Too many people are used to over the top tv shows or movies, where someone getting shot by a small calibre pistol causes a splash of blood or a pink mist. It just doesn't happen. Shooting someone who is wearing platemail with a small calibre weapon will likely only puncture one side and even if it went straight through, the armour or heavy clothing would keep most of the blood in. Everyone just wants over the top blood nowadays which in itself is probably more unrealistic than less blood.

But that last bit is just my personal opinion on what I view as more realistic. The blood scenes in the anime bit is just fact.
Aug 10, 2015 3:19 PM

Mar 2009
All the Rory gifs in this thread. Thank you, kind people. ;_;

Everything about Rory is perfect.
Aug 10, 2015 3:40 PM
May 2014
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
[quote=konatachan80

Basically, if he says "jump", they'll probably ask "how high"..but for different reasons.

A loud noise still makes animals run. They don't know what it is. And when they have heard of the weapons and what they did to their armies, they'd be scared.

I get you're trying to defend the scene, but it's plain silly. You say the girls see him as a saviour, which means they would want to help him when he's likely to be killed. Rory finds him interesting, yes, but she's unlikely to let him just get killed. Kuri also doesn't follow orders, that's kinda her bit. She's hot headed and charges into combat as shown in Episode 6, especially to defend her comrades. She charged in to defend Rory, so it's likely she'd do that even faster for someone she knows like Itama.

So yeah, still highly doubt they'd be like "Nevermind, he asked us to leave, let's leave him to die."

The point in my other post about her having huge breasts for no apparent reason is it doesn't really do anything for the character apart from add sex appeal. Naturally having large breasts is fine, when it's stuck in an anime and she has her vest tailored to make the tits look even bigger, it gets to the point where it's obvious what it was intended for. Just like the Strike Witches not wearing trousers. It's just an obvious choice for sex appeal.

In the LN she is meant to have a small frame but big boobs. In the manga she has quite a sturdy frame with even bigger boobs. Anime she is a normal woman with larger than average breasts for her size that aren't drawn attention to because she's always in full uniform.

I really disagree that Gate only has "a few drops". I remember blood in it quite frequently, especially in this most recent episode.

Honestly, I'm fine without there being tonnes of blood in it. Anime with lots of blood honestly don't tend to do that well or get remembered that fondly because they just go for "OMFG SO SHOCKING" route which many people get bored with quickly and it limits the potential viewing demographic when it really isn't very important to the story, such as Muv Luv: Alternative, Deadman Wonderland, Elfen Lied, Claymore, etc. One of the few that broke this rule was Attack on Titan and I'm not really sure why.

I like most of the anime I mentioned above, happy with blood and such but I really can't pretend that I'm upset that they made it less gory for the anime. They do that with quite a few anime, even things like Deadman Wonderland, Claymore, etc. They often tone down the gore and violence since when you show a still picture of something, it is rarely as tasteless or violent as it happening in motion.[/quote]
Remember, guns in our age doesn't really do anything visible, and a loud noise
isn't really going to scare anyone somewhat trained for the battlefield.
unless they were unaccustomed to sound.

So far those knights have barely heard the rumours, and going by the disbelief the
princess had to those..well. They probably thought of it as fairy tales, so that won't
really scare them either.

They would want to help him, yes. However, if he says they should do this or that
"for now" (I don't remember if it was said, but I seem to remember it was implied, at
least in the manga), it wouldn't be unnatural if they did what he asked.
Especially when they know (and has seen) the MIG roflstomps just about anything
anybody in that world can throw at them..and "knew" they would do so in a
heartbeat if they had to (based on what they've seen so far).

Toned down is something quite different from removing it entirely, like they did in Gate
(blood and whatnot). There's no need to show everything every time, but scenes like
the one panning over those dead guys completely without blood etc don't really make
sense without it.
I think they were dead, they could've been sleeping for what I know as there
was no real indication they weren't, except context (broken sword, one had his eyes
open, and so on).

Claymore and Deadman Wonderland anime wasn't exactly what you'd call bloodless, or
lacking in violence (even though DW was mostly silly).

I'm reading your comment as if you're saying those anime were toned down, but at
least claymore were still having some of the brutality, blood, and whatnot.
DW too, but I disliked that anime for other reasons.

Claymore were quite watchable. I know I enjoyed it..except for that whiny 5-year old male.
He had his role..sort of, but I can't tolerate him.
konatachan80Aug 10, 2015 4:03 PM
-- Lord fifth
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

284 by kizeroch »»
Feb 23, 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.