Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

[Episode 5 Spoilers] Is the Japanese police/legal system really like what is portrayed?

New
Jul 31, 2015 8:47 AM

Nov 2013
To recap, the show said that if a psychiatric institution deems a suspect mentally incompetent, the charges are dropped and the criminal goes to a psych ward.

The charges being dropped makes sense to me. From what I understand, Japanese prosecutors are very career driven, so if they don't feel at the outset that they will win, they probably won't press charges. (As far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong)

But how on earth is it possible for someone who committed a crime, got committed to a psychiatric hospital, and then commits the same crime gets the same leniency? Does this happen? Is this an exaggeration for the show? Or is there some aspect of law I am missing?
Jul 31, 2015 9:04 AM

Jul 2007
Just like with problems with homophobia I discussed last year during YKA airing, its tricky to talk because "surface" of the system and overall system seems to work well enough, but parts of it are rotten and inefficient.

Japanese cops and prosecutors are not only career driven but also VERY reliant on confessions for closing cases(to the point that few years ago it was not uncommon trying to "force" a confession out of people evidence work be damned.)

The problem with psychiatric rehabilitation of mentally insane criminals is that the system, which came with 2005 reform was made in very rushed way. A lot of centers that are supposed to treat those criminals are incompetent as all hell leading to not only criminals using the system to escape jail(since the system fears failed cases, those who fake their mental illness get sent to the rehabilitation centers without trial) but also the ACTUAL mentally insane not getting better after spending time there.

As someone who has lived in japan I can safely say that the level of crime is low(thankfully other parts of legal system work decently, for example, they have way stricter gun control than USA), but when crimes are committed they are fucking bizarre(ex: 2008 Akibahara massacre where a killer drove a truck into a crowd of people then jumped out of the truck and started stabbing people with a dagger).
Jul 31, 2015 9:13 AM

Nov 2013
CookingPriest said:
Just like with problems with homophobia I discussed last year during YKA airing, its tricky to talk because "surface" of the system and overall system seems to work well enough, but parts of it are rotten and inefficient.

Japanese cops and prosecutors are not only career driven but also VERY reliant on confessions for closing cases(to the point that few years ago it was not uncommon trying to "force" a confession out of people evidence work be damned.)

The problem with psychiatric rehabilitation of mentally insane criminals is that the system, which came with 2005 reform was made in very rushed way. A lot of centers that are supposed to treat those criminals are incompetent as all hell leading to not only criminals using the system to escape jail(since the system fears failed cases, those who fake their mental illness get sent to the rehabilitation centers without trial) but also the ACTUAL mentally insane not getting better after spending time there.

As someone who has lived in japan I can safely say that the level of crime is low(thankfully other parts of legal system work decently, for example, they have way stricter gun control than USA), but when crimes are committed they are fucking bizarre(ex: 2008 Akibahara massacre where a killer drove a truck into a crowd of people then jumped out of the truck and started stabbing people with a dagger).

That's... ridiculously disturbing and depressing. Thanks for the insight.

Incidentally, I think part of the reason I don't notice this is that, unlike American pop culture, which is flooded with tons of procedurals, there are very few Japanese manga/anime that are police oriented that are popular, unless you count GitS and Psycho-Pass. At least with homosexuality, the homophobia managed to pervade in more aspects of popular Japanese material (e.g. Persona 4) before Yuri Kuma Arashi brought it waaaay more to the forefront.

I hope Laplace deals with this kinda stuff a bit more. Again, thanks.
Jul 31, 2015 9:22 AM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
but when crimes are committed they are fucking bizarre(ex: 2008 Akibahara massacre where a killer drove a truck into a crowd of people then jumped out of the truck and started stabbing people with a dagger).

The problem with your 2005 theory is that the murder rate in Japan continued to decline every year since 2005, so obviously the system is working.

But I agree with you that a lot of the murders are pretty bizarre, but that I think is an outcome of some of the social pressures that reducing crime creates. The Akihabara example I wouldn't call bizarre, it is the equivalent of the Aurora Shooting.

And yes, there are some cases in Japan were the police resort to brutality, but Japan is hardly alone in that, and in that the total number of murders is extremely low, it does seem to be working. But of course efficiency does not make something moral.

But the idea that Japan releases large numbers of proven killers due to psychiatric reasons is a myth. Indeed they just sentence a guy to death for the murder of 3 people in a rural village who tried that defense.
Aug 1, 2015 11:44 AM

Jan 2014
Hell, this is how the Canadian legal system operates, bet you'd be able to find similar cases in the US also.
This episode really spoke to my frustration over this issue.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Aug 1, 2015 2:26 PM

Jan 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
CookingPriest said:
but when crimes are committed they are fucking bizarre(ex: 2008 Akibahara massacre where a killer drove a truck into a crowd of people then jumped out of the truck and started stabbing people with a dagger).

The problem with your 2005 theory is that the murder rate in Japan continued to decline every year since 2005, so obviously the system is working.

But I agree with you that a lot of the murders are pretty bizarre, but that I think is an outcome of some of the social pressures that reducing crime creates. The Akihabara example I wouldn't call bizarre, it is the equivalent of the Aurora Shooting.

And yes, there are some cases in Japan were the police resort to brutality, but Japan is hardly alone in that, and in that the total number of murders is extremely low, it does seem to be working. But of course efficiency does not make something moral.

But the idea that Japan releases large numbers of proven killers due to psychiatric reasons is a myth. Indeed they just sentence a guy to death for the murder of 3 people in a rural village who tried that defense.

Was the murder rate already in decline before the 2005 reform?
Aug 1, 2015 3:45 PM
Oct 2012
Yackdack said:

Humm, I didn't find the rate, but between 1990-2004 the number of homicides actually increased, now while the link below mentioned that the 1990s were the safest period, this is no longer true. Since the end of the link, the murder rate has continued to plummet to the point were only 939 people were murdered in 2014.

http://ikjeld.com/en/news/77/an-eye-opening-surprise-about-crime-in-japan

Now, of course part of the reason is that Japan is a greying society, and as such one would expect the crime rate to decrease naturally however this decline began in earnest in 1975 so it doesn't explain the rise in crime from 1990-2004. I couldn't find good statistics on this though, so I wanted to note it.

But there is nothing to suggest that a legislation change in 2005 made any difference, but the link above makes it very clear that the rate has cratered since 2005.
Aug 2, 2015 12:34 PM

Jul 2007
ThrashMatto said:
Hell, this is how the Canadian legal system operates, bet you'd be able to find similar cases in the US also.
This episode really spoke to my frustration over this issue.

Not just Canada, a lot of european countries have laws like that.

Yackdack said:
Takuan_Soho said:

What that person fails to mention is that the decline CANT be attributed to the mental health of criminals stuff. As I said in my post, gun control, quality of life, prominence of yakuza, etc are the main reasons the crime is decreasing.
Aug 6, 2015 11:31 AM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
What that person fails to mention is that the decline CANT be attributed to the mental health of criminals stuff.

That wasn't my argument. You said that the 2005 Mental Health Law created a situation related to what was shown in Episode 4 (and was the original question on this thread), what I showed is that there is no way the law can be seen as a negative in that the murder rate has dropped so dramatically SINCE 2005. I don't need to demonstrate a positive connection between the law and the murder rate to disprove your assertion.

CookingPriest said:
As I said in my post, gun control, quality of life, prominence of yakuza, etc are the main reasons the crime is decreasing.

Incorrect. Those are states of nature: Japan had gun control since WWII, Japan had the Yakuza since WWII, so while they can be used to explain WHY Japan's crime rate is lower than the West since WWII, they cannot be used to explain why Japan's crime rate dropped in the 1990s, increased to 2005, and then decreased since that time, unless you can show that something CHANGED to cause it.
Aug 6, 2015 2:02 PM

Jul 2011
CookingPriest said:

i wouldn't call that bizzarre... it's a kind of crime that might happen mostly in countries where people are normally unarmed(japan and italy first 2 to come to mind), honestly speaking, you'd get into the bizzarre territory only when talking about serial killers, like this series does.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.