Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2015 9:25 PM
Apr 2015
I'm curious if anyone here ever used a data recovery service. If so what was your experience like?

My Maxtor internal 2TB HDD died after a power outage. I already know this could be very costly but I'm looking for a reputable company.
Jul 30, 2015 2:37 AM
May 2009
How important is the data?
If it just anime just download it all again.
Jul 30, 2015 2:41 AM

Jan 2009
i got no idea, thats why its still better to burn your important files on reliable discs since they have a life time of 20-100 years
Jul 30, 2015 10:27 AM
Apr 2015
I spoke to the Geek Squad at Best Buy today while I was out for lunch during work. They can diagnose my HDD for $40 and then have it shipped out to be repaired. If they can't repair it, then there is no reason to give them an extra $40 to look at a dead HDD. They sound incompetent and shady. I called one place out in California. They can't guarantee 100% success on data recovery but highly likely to be able to recover all or most of the data.

I read you can put the HDD in a zip lock bag and freeze it for 2 hours. Then hook it up and you have little amount of time to retrieve your data before it heats up... If that doesn't work then you're fucked.

I bought a 5TB Toshiba HDD for $140+ shipping cost at Amazon. I Paid $249.99 for my 2TB Maxtor. Shit gets outdated so fast.

shintai88 said:
How important is the data?
If it just anime just download it all again.

Nothing important but video game saves over few years. Some old games that is hard to find. I probably backed up most of the games on my external HDD. It's important enough for me to spend money. I don't back up any anime that I have watched. Only rewatch if I really enjoyed it when they release on Blu-ray. If they license then I will buy it or settle for Coalgirls 1080P 1-2 gigabytes per episode.

j0x said:
i got no idea, thats why its still better to burn your important files on reliable discs since they have a life time of 20-100 years

I do back up most of the files but didn't think about backing up any game saves.
Jul 30, 2015 10:47 AM

Mar 2008
Dont use Geek Squad. They are amaturish and do not have much technical skills. I also heard they look over the content you have on the drive sorting through your private data.

If the drive isnt severely damaged you can recover the data yourself even.
Jul 30, 2015 1:20 PM

Jan 2009
First of, if you're willing to spend a few Grands (aka a few thousand Dollars), then go to a professional Data Recovery Center, which is the safest Choice of all.

If you decide to do it yourself, you could try the following:

1) clone the Disk Sector for Sector first on a fresh HDD for Example with Clonezilla.

2) Use TestDisk, Recuva or other Programs to try to recover the Data.

If cloning the Disk is too risky/bothersome or not even working, you could skip the first Step and try to recover it directly from the original Source from a secondary Computer and/or another internal SSD/HDD.

I wouldn't try to do anything physical with it unless you'd really know your Stuff.
Jul 30, 2015 8:22 PM
Apr 2015
I was planning on spending up to 2 grand but spending more than that is pushing it. I don't need the entire HDD recovered. Most of my saves I want to recover is in the Emulator folder which is a crap load of saves from various game consoles.

Thanks, If I can't find any place to recover the data. Then my last resort will be using Clonezilla.
Oct 3, 2015 3:01 AM
Oct 2015
Data is very essential for us in our everyday life and we can't afford to lose it. But if you lost your data by mistake then no need to worry because I have also gone through with the same situation many times but then I found my perfect tool that has easily recovered all my lost data within a minute i.e. Data Recovery Software. The software provides many great features and the most amazing thing is that it can run on all Windows platform including Windows 10.
Mar 11, 2016 7:02 PM

Jan 2013
Siruppercut said:
I was planning on spending up to 2 grand but spending more than that is pushing it. I don't need the entire HDD recovered. Most of my saves I want to recover is in the Emulator folder which is a crap load of saves from various game consoles.

Thanks, If I can't find any place to recover the data. Then my last resort will be using Clonezilla.

Hi i wanted to know how it went with your recovery?

Im having a situation where my portable hard drive isnt being detected so i cant access my manga. I was gonna send it in but im scared of what'll happen if they can search/see the manga? DO you think I'd be in trouble?

Also, would clonezilla work still if my drive isnt being detected?

Mar 11, 2016 7:59 PM

Nov 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hQZ09sdcRs

they seem pretty legit
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 16, 2017 2:34 AM

Apr 2017
you can go to the service center to recover data, if it's so important
May 16, 2017 6:25 AM

Jan 2013
EmersonHidden said:
Quick question: How did you end up in a thread from over a year ago, and bump it?
May 17, 2017 3:06 AM

Apr 2017
Syrup- said:
EmersonHidden said:
Quick question: How did you end up in a thread from over a year ago, and bump it?

don't know :) bump bump

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

138 by Kajiuran »»
16 minutes ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

18 by tectacles »»
18 minutes ago

» What's your favorite video game that you've never actually beaten?

TheBlockernator - Apr 15, 2022

49 by His0kaDevv »»
56 minutes ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

10 by Jensenessy »»
8 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Apr 17

29 by loligoth666 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.