Forum Settings
Forums
Jul 28, 2015 10:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 764
it clearly not Edogawa Conan "i learn everything from my daddy when i spent holiday at hawaii ".... ballship it getting old fast.

i vote Sou Touma From Q.E.D.(Manga) he can know criminal or true culprit by listening people who investigate case and run possibility way on everybody if that person is true culprit or not.
 
Jul 28, 2015 11:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2098
Forgetfulness said:
Ghiffaris said:
No. The plans are not calculated well, Akiyama's plan at times are rushed and unrealistic.

Example.



It's been a really long time since I've read that particular arc, but


I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

 
Jul 28, 2015 11:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
To be blunt, the most realistic portrayal of intelligence is the most practical. People seem to be under the misconception that intelligent is the equivalent of complicated. If there is an easier way of doing something that blows out into something complicated without good reason, I wouldn't call that being smart; in fact, that would be very dumb.
 
Jul 29, 2015 2:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4049
AttackOnTetris said:

Intelligence can't really be portrayed well in anime because if their thoughts really are that smart, the viewer probably wouldn't be able to keep up with them.

word
 
Jul 29, 2015 11:24 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 16496
AttackOnTetris said:
romagia said:
near had all information gathered by L to work with tho

The intelligence stats are garbage. The author of the manga said L was the smartest because the "plot requires it". L is smartest by Word of God, which is all that really matters.


Actually, it doesn't matter. How intelligent a character is, is whatevert he author says it is. It's all arbitrary. It's more interesting what the intelligence means, rather than how intelligent the person is.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
 
Jul 29, 2015 11:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4852
Unyilkdr said:
hyouka. that's how logical mind works. yet soo many people hate itbecause boring and not enjoy the dialogue each f it.
 
Mar 20, 7:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 1783
Kaiji's a dumbass for continuing to go back to gambling but his thought process is intelligent, especially for it being so on-the-fly.

Lawrence from Spice and Wolf is probably average intelligence when compared to the other characters but he has a firm grasp on what's going on in the different places he's in and we can see his thought process well (moreso in the light novels). Don't know if he's a genius but he's pretty damn smart in my book.


All my opinion of course.

 
Mar 20, 8:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 946
I thought that Light Yagami and L were a very realistic portrayal of intelligence, especially since they often explain how they come to the deductions they come up with. It did seem to me that Lelouch had no real basis for some of the deductions he made, he just out of nowhere made the right move.

Death Note actually gives you the evidence ahead of time and leaves you guessing as to whether each of the respective character will figure it out or not. Both Light and L leave behind tiny little clues that the author makes you easily aware of but you wonder if the other will pick up on it. And its also realistic that even geniuses like Light and L will still make mistakes sometimes rather than making them godlike.
 
Mar 23, 3:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3026
The question is: what do they try to portray? Do they try to portray realistic characters to begin with? Sherlock Holmes (yeah, it's not an anime, I know) wasn't meant to be realistically genius. Everybody who reads the books knows he can't be real.

But there are different kinds of intelligence (for that matter, I don't talk about emotional intelligence): Solving mysteries, strategist, being able to build things. And yeah, it's not real classification, but usually, you can see this kind of classification when it comes to intelligent people on media. Though sometimes there are the known all genius.

About doing stupid mistake despite being smart: I guess it depends on the kind of mistake, But let's be real, every genius person can have a mistake in his calculations (even it's not math). Luckily, those who calculated the way to the moon didn't have them...


 
Mar 23, 6:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12676
I disagree that Hyouka, or most detective or mystery anime, represents intelligence accurately. You can easily follow their line of thought and come up with a million possible alternatives in real time, yet the characters are convinced that their ideas must be the right one. And conveniently, they are. That's not intelligence, it's plot armor.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
 
Mar 24, 1:24 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 1193
For the most part intelligence is used in an unnatural way, to outsmart rivals or find solutions to problems and mysteries.

I can't think of any really realistic way that intelligence has been used in anime.
 
Mar 24, 1:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1167
EfiChan said:
The question is: what do they try to portray? Do they try to portray realistic characters to begin with? Sherlock Holmes (yeah, it's not an anime, I know) wasn't meant to be realistically genius. Everybody who reads the books knows he can't be real.

But there are different kinds of intelligence (for that matter, I don't talk about emotional intelligence): Solving mysteries, strategist, being able to build things. And yeah, it's not real classification, but usually, you can see this kind of classification when it comes to intelligent people on media. Though sometimes there are the known all genius.

About doing stupid mistake despite being smart: I guess it depends on the kind of mistake, But let's be real, every genius person can have a mistake in his calculations (even it's not math). Luckily, those who calculated the way to the moon didn't have them...
holmes actually was based off of joseph bell, with the author specifically citing his inspiration since bell was so good at deductive reasoning, especially for his time

and people did make mistakes in calculating the math to the moon, apollo 1 is infamous for having crashed because of so many mistakes piling up at the same time. people probably made mistakes when landing apollo 11 but they were not serious enough to kill anyone
Modified by Aure0lin, Mar 24, 1:51 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
 
Mar 24, 1:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 5182
Monster has very well portrayed intelligent characters, they aren't borderline omniscient like for example Lelouch, but still make realistic deductions based on the informations available to them.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.
 
Mar 25, 11:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3026
Aure0lin said:
EfiChan said:
The question is: what do they try to portray? Do they try to portray realistic characters to begin with? Sherlock Holmes (yeah, it's not an anime, I know) wasn't meant to be realistically genius. Everybody who reads the books knows he can't be real.

But there are different kinds of intelligence (for that matter, I don't talk about emotional intelligence): Solving mysteries, strategist, being able to build things. And yeah, it's not real classification, but usually, you can see this kind of classification when it comes to intelligent people on media. Though sometimes there are the known all genius.

About doing stupid mistake despite being smart: I guess it depends on the kind of mistake, But let's be real, every genius person can have a mistake in his calculations (even it's not math). Luckily, those who calculated the way to the moon didn't have them...
holmes actually was based off of joseph bell, with the author specifically citing his inspiration since bell was so good at deductive reasoning, especially for his time

and people did make mistakes in calculating the math to the moon, apollo 1 is infamous for having crashed because of so many mistakes piling up at the same time. people probably made mistakes when landing apollo 11 but they were not serious enough to kill anyone
Aure0lin said:
EfiChan said:
The question is: what do they try to portray? Do they try to portray realistic characters to begin with? Sherlock Holmes (yeah, it's not an anime, I know) wasn't meant to be realistically genius. Everybody who reads the books knows he can't be real.

But there are different kinds of intelligence (for that matter, I don't talk about emotional intelligence): Solving mysteries, strategist, being able to build things. And yeah, it's not real classification, but usually, you can see this kind of classification when it comes to intelligent people on media. Though sometimes there are the known all genius.

About doing stupid mistake despite being smart: I guess it depends on the kind of mistake, But let's be real, every genius person can have a mistake in his calculations (even it's not math). Luckily, those who calculated the way to the moon didn't have them...
holmes actually was based off of joseph bell, with the author specifically citing his inspiration since bell was so good at deductive reasoning, especially for his time

and people did make mistakes in calculating the math to the moon, apollo 1 is infamous for having crashed because of so many mistakes piling up at the same time. people probably made mistakes when landing apollo 11 but they were not serious enough to kill anyone

1) I bet he made it more extreme than it really was
2) Well, space history isn't my thing. I just know they got there. Anyway, just proves my point.


 
Mar 26, 2:02 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 244
TheBrainintheJar said:
Actually, it doesn't matter. How intelligent a character is, is whatevert he author says it is. It's all arbitrary. It's more interesting what the intelligence means, rather than how intelligent the person is.


Yeah, this. Same answer as any of these questions about fictional worlds- the answer is "because it was in the script".

But IMO Master Keaton is a better-than-most portrayal of the super-smart MC, because it shows a more practical, real-world intellegence than most shows. Still completely contrived and arbitrary ofc, but I just find the McGuyver-style knowledge of say chemistry or DIY engineering more convincing/entertaining than the strategic intellegence of Light Yagami or Lelouche, or the Sherlock Holmes-style deductions in a series like Hyouka.
 
Mar 26, 10:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 8738
TheBrainintheJar said:
Actually, it doesn't matter. How intelligent a character is, is whatevert he author says it is. It's all arbitrary. It's more interesting what the intelligence means, rather than how intelligent the person is.

The thing is, different people have different expectations about what intelligence is. Yudkovsky wrote quite a wall of text about how intelligence is a profound lack of stupidity and going along with the plot, and if an intelligent person makes a mistake - it is a reflection of his own prejudices and biases.
On the other hand, I can tell you I've met a lot of people who are quite good at intellectual pursuits like science, but aren't living their lives perfectly.

Or, you can watch Clockwork Planet. The science and technology inside don't make any sense whatsoever, but the main characters are two geniuses. Two totally different geniuses - one studied hard and mastered all technology while still a little girl, the other can just repair robots by the ear.

I'd say it's all intelligence.

Haneken2086 said:
For the most part intelligence is used in an unnatural way, to outsmart rivals or find solutions to problems and mysteries.

I can't think of any really realistic way that intelligence has been used in anime.

Just what do you think is a "natural" way to use intelligence?
 
Mar 26, 10:18 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 43
Although not realistic, I enjoyed Sora and Shiro in NGNL also thought that L from death note was pretty good as well
 
Mar 26, 1:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1219
i think someone like kaiji is realistically intelligent. He is not all knowing, but he has a knack for solving puzzles. You can even say hes kind of a dummy and degenerate gambler a lot of the time, but when the chips are down hes a pretty clever dude.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
 
Mar 26, 4:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 315
Massive agree on Light and L, and also on [ ] from No Game No Life.

The thing that makes these stand out is that when they do something smart, it's all fair play - and what I mean by that is that the viewer was given the information at the same time as the characters, and they're not relying on something that the viewer has no idea about that they've just pulled out of nowhere. Or, in a more active sense, they do something innovative with the resources given that fits entirely with the rules they're working under and is fully explained by what you already know.

Examples - we know the government is working with L, and that he has quite large resources. The viewer might not have thought about broadcasting slightly different speeches to different parts of Japan beforehand, but once the reveal is made it's entirely reasonable to imagine it could be done without any extra ass-pulled capabilities. Or, [ ] deducing the nature of the Warbeast's game from information we the viewer already have, taken to a logical conclusion that fits within the special rules of the world they're in.

So my contribution to the thread is Yasuri Nanami from Katanagatari - specifically in her fight against the Insect Squad. Mostly it's a showoff of how utterly unstoppable she is, but there is a moment right at the end that reveals how well she planned ahead for the whole thing.

 
Mar 26, 4:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 352
UnoPuntoCinco said:
I like it when the author does not yell "hes intuleeyent" at your face

Exactly this. Don't just shove the "he's intelligent" crap on us, show it by his actions and deductions.
 
Top
Pages (2) « 1 [2]