Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Akagami no Shirayuki-hime Episode 4 Discussion

Aug 1, 2015 9:24 AM

great episode!
:3

Aug 2, 2015 1:04 AM

Things that need explanation:

A. The royal family members are exposed to controlled poisoning from younger ages so that the build natural immunity to poison. This is not ridiculous as some of you guys have been suggesting in this thread. It was pretty common in olden days' royalty.

B. Ryu likes Shirayuki. But not in a romantic way. He likes her because she understands him and she also stood up for his defense.

C. The two of them. No matter how cute they look together, they just cannot date. It doesn't happen like this. It was made clear through Lord Haruka in the previous episode that there are many within the royal court who won't accept someone without a social status being allowed in the royal grounds, let alone befriending the royalty. And 'Dating'? You better be kidding me!

Roy_Focker said:
raveninthemuddle said:
It's really weird finding a shojo adaptation having this high quality level of writing, things actually got set up and resolved, characters act reasonably and believably, every plot elements have their purposes, and it actually develops and utilizes it's premise pretty well. Oh yeah, and the presentation is just wonderful. It won't be phenomenal or popular, but it's definitely doing things extremely well. Hope they keep this level of energy all the way through second season.
I concur. It’s been a while since I watch a Shōjo with this kind of writing (like you explain in your post) I also hope the show maintains the quality in the writing department…

But...but...it won't be maintaining this level of quality. It gets so much better.
<< Why Takemoto Uruka is a Super Woman!

Aug 2, 2015 2:05 PM
Ryu might become an interesting character.

Wasn't Shirayuki a bit overreacting?

all the flowers were beautiful though.

Aug 2, 2015 2:43 PM

ElenirLachlagos said:

Wasn't Shirayuki a bit overreacting?

No, she just found out her friend almost died several times. It may occur again too, he said he has a lot of enemies & the way he said it shook her.

Aug 2, 2015 6:13 PM

Loving this series. Its been a while since I enjoyed a Shoujo this much.
<3

Aug 4, 2015 9:45 AM

Ryu is so adorable :3

BTW, nice episode.

Aug 5, 2015 10:02 AM

Ah, so sweet and peaceful. (none of it comes as a surprise, I read the manga up to currently) I haven't been getting enough shoujo in my anime, this keeps the balance. -w-

Aug 5, 2015 5:35 PM

I hate overdramatization.

Aug 9, 2015 9:22 AM

Holy sweet fuck, that was so freaking cute. It got me all fuzzy. Autism-chan is pretty cute too :3

I thought it was Obi that trapped them in there, but another contestant is more likely.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie

Aug 14, 2015 1:47 PM

So I was quite liking this anime until now, the only real problem I was seeing is that it had a bit too much of a recurring pattern in each episode. But now this episode...

I really liked this one, hell yes. I hope the next ones are more like this than like the first 3 (although those weren't bad as I said above). This kind of gives me a similar vibe as Saiunkoku monogatari on lots of point. Shirayuki= red headed Kou Shuurei ? If that's the case, then that's awesome, because Kou Shuurei is an awesome female MC.
Anyway, that was nice.

Aug 15, 2015 4:44 AM

Another good episode.
The music of this anime is really classically spectacular!
5/5.

Aug 15, 2015 5:20 PM

Shirayuki / Zen interactions are amusing as always. Would be nicer if the anime focused a little more on the romance.

Aug 16, 2015 2:36 AM
Loved this episode! Shirayuki is such a good female role model. Loves and wants to tak care of her man, but isn't a push over or begging for attention. She's strong and loves to study, wants to help the world, respects her peers... :) I think we could all learn something from her!

Ryu is adorable. How old is he supposed to be? I get that he's a "kid" but I'm curious how much younger he is than Shirayuki and Zen. I sense an almost love triangle forming... Zen even comments "I wouldn't be giving you advice if you were older" and later he's jealous... I doubt Shirayuki has eyes for anyone but Zen at this point but Ryu is definitely a bit taken by Shirayuki's attention and friendship.

Overall, beautiful and fun episode!

Aug 16, 2015 7:18 AM

Lararin said:

Ryu is adorable. How old is he supposed to be? I get that he's a "kid" but I'm curious how much younger he is than Shirayuki and Zen.

I think he is around 12, while Shirayuki and Zen are supposed to be 17-19 :)

Aug 16, 2015 4:10 PM
RazielZero said:
Lararin said:

Ryu is adorable. How old is he supposed to be? I get that he's a "kid" but I'm curious how much younger he is than Shirayuki and Zen.

I think he is around 12, while Shirayuki and Zen are supposed to be 17-19 :)

Thanks!! Hmm, that is a "huge" difference at their young age but once they're in their 20s~30s it's not that big of a difference! I still ship Shirayuki x Zen for now though :)

Aug 22, 2015 12:18 PM

Bro fist!

A calmer episode than those before, but still nice. We saw some character bonds strengthen.

Also, Shirayuki defending Ryu was priceless. Her attitude is really something.

Aaaaaaaaaaw, they hugged :3 I mostly dislike the romance and shoujo genre but this anime is so cute :)
Modified by Axernea, Aug 22, 2015 12:23 PM

Aug 31, 2015 12:48 AM

Finally.. such an adorable hug.
Everyone blushes when they confront Shirayuki.
Her power level is too high hahaha.

Sep 6, 2015 5:33 PM

MUCH better than the previous episodes. The unique take on a slice of life shoujo actually shined through, and I surprisingly found the herbalism absorbing. Ryu seems like an endearing kid, too.

Discord: Zadion#0202
RateYourMusic
last.fm

Sep 20, 2015 8:18 AM

The only show that can make plants really interesting for someone who usually doesn't care that much about them.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.

Oct 1, 2015 9:54 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Zen and Shirayuki make a real good couple, despite not being a couple yet. They look so natural together.

Shirayuki passes the test with flying colors. It's weird seeing Ryu bw Shira's supervisor. Usually it would be the other way around.

Oct 1, 2015 11:01 PM

Ah the cheese. May no one ever catch me watching this.

I'm confused. Was it an assassination attempt, or did he voluntarily choose to administer poison in attempts to gain immunity? That's a very dumb idea if so. It's like that one guy that drank snake venom all the time and eventually died from it.

Oct 2, 2015 1:54 AM

Ah man, I can't believe I missed this anime while it was airing. Pretty good so far :) Glad she passed her test.

Oct 6, 2015 11:48 AM

Very lovely development, I just love it!

Nov 14, 2015 3:03 PM

i actually really liked this episode lol

Dec 5, 2015 2:50 PM

Omg, this reminds me so much of how yoko ended up with kamina and left simon heartbroken !!

Dec 30, 2015 8:03 PM

MusashiRose said:
Shirayuki is a BAMF.

Ryu is adorable.
Stark700 said:

These two are just.. the besttttt. <333

Kyaaa! So cute, and Ryu ships it too I bet.
I love how this show has a good plot, and has such good writing. Not just plotless fluff.
I feel for Ryu being so smart, but still such a kawaii smol boy. :3

Jan 6, 2016 8:39 PM

I'm liking this series more since she's a pharmacist and I went to pharmacy school too.

I'm a little pissed that they put herbalist instead of apothecary or something in the subs.

Ryu is such a cutie bear.
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.

Jan 22, 2016 2:58 PM
Ryu is so cute omg im going to die

Jan 23, 2016 5:25 AM

well, this was the first episode where I liked Shirayuki. I hope this goes on, so that I will stop hating her.
The scene where Zen hugged her was totally cute.
I like Ryu.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 23, 2016 7:31 AM

Unpleasant episode, narratively maintain a standard very pleasant both in situational contexts that in the plot, the characters growing and beautiful sceneries complete the experience, but we must not forget the excellent soundtrack. It will be too sweet narration, sometimes, but it's too good to follow this anime series. <3

Feb 6, 2016 5:40 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Ryu's pretty cool. Shirayuki x Zen ftw.

5/5

Feb 9, 2016 2:19 PM
Soli The Lewdy

The hug scene damn. Shirayuki is too cute.

Mar 5, 2016 12:51 PM

shirayuki had to cry? really? e_e

but it was a beautiful episode with all the flowers and gardens.
at least this is a really beautiful anime and that's enough to keep me watching it.

May 23, 2016 3:33 PM

DOODZ, I ship Yuki and Zen so hard, y'all don't even know. OTP, please kiss before I DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TToTT

Jul 6, 2016 7:54 AM

I am not crying, I am not crying, I am crying ;__;
-Let the fire of our hearts rage through the heavens

Jul 22, 2016 9:14 AM
This show is cheesy af.

4/5

Dec 29, 2016 11:15 PM

OMG Too cute!
Zen in windowsills is now my favorite thing! <3

Jun 27, 2017 8:09 AM

Ryuu is so adorable :') !!

Jul 11, 2017 4:49 PM

The pacing was a bit too choppy in the second half, we switched from scene to scene a bit too fast. Fortunately, the emotional core of the episode didn't get lost in this fumble.

I already like Garrack and Ryuu. The former is a scientist who is level headed and capable but loves a good laugh. The latter is a precocious boy, a bit lonely and isolated due to his job, lacking in social skills but still innocent and sweet. I bet he misses being just a kid (instead of a royal whatever), that's probably why he prefers being called by his first name. And isn't it adorable when Kiki and Mitsu try to cheer him up?

So yeah, while the episode was perhaps a bit fast for the slice of life content, it was no less significant. The comical lengths she went to in order to save the plants of the garden certainly hammered home the point that Shirayuki takes her trade very seriously. Oh, and she totally yelled at that guard for accusing Ryuu. Have we ever seen her lose her cool like that before? I suppose she has a fierce protective instinct.

The second half was mostly served to paint a more detailed picture of the relationship between the office of the royal herbalist and the prince and his entourage. These people obviously have common history, and this was not only established by their casual way of addressing each other (Ryuu calls Zen simply "Ouji", his two favorite bodyguards and Garrack call him just "Zen"), but by the poison flashback, too.

And that brings us to Shirayuki's strong reaction to the content of the logs, which possibly tie in with her little rant about toxins as medicine, in addititon to showing just how important Zen has become for her in such a short amount of time. And the two are growing increasingly intimate in their physical interactions.

Jul 13, 2017 2:38 PM
Omg,i love this episode

Oct 2, 2017 12:16 AM

Who is that woman? She is beautiful.
Her name is Garack.
Time for the Herbalist exam.
Shirayuki passed.
Dat bang. Take it back.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

Oct 9, 2017 8:37 AM

Garak?

Someone is a matchmaker.

Dec 2, 2017 1:33 AM

Shirayuki is too precious!

Ryu seems ok.

Feb 1, 2019 6:33 AM

this episode was SO CUTE!!! I haven't seen a shojo this good in a long time. I love it.

Feb 25, 2019 3:01 PM
</overrated>

The zap of dramatics though set up wasn't really, earned. Maybe anime has made me sterile to the crying scene at the end, which was sweet but it felt limp.

Ryu liking Shirayuki was better route then him hating her and growing to like her, like I had initially thought would happen. I do like Shirayuki standing up for him though, good touch.

Not a bad episode but it all felt way to fast for what all in here. I really was expecting the exam to test her more, oh well.

May 10, 2019 6:36 PM

Court Pharmacy Test.

Of course, our brilliant Shirayuki passes the test successfully. ❤️

Poor Prince Zen. He has been poisoned so many times. He gets enemies easily, just like he said in the previous episode. I squeal when he hugs Shirayuki. ❤️

Ryu is so adorable! His inspiration of making the test comes from Shirayuki. Zen is so cute when he is jealous. ❤️

Sep 9, 2019 9:53 AM

Beautiful scenery as usual, and the court herbalist exam went relatively smoothly for Shirayuki; some twist was to be expected, exams are never straightforward at higher levels where there's more at stake (in this case, the wellbeing of people living in the castle, including the royal family).

Ryu was cute when he ran after Zen because Shirayuki was crying.

Sep 19, 2019 2:12 AM
Look at that lazy prince he is jealous of little kid

Feb 12, 10:47 AM

Yura Shigure what a lovely flower.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]