Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 25, 2015 10:27 AM

Sep 2010
Matoro_Mahri said:
Good in concept, terrible in execution. I clicked that link expecting, say, opinion pieces from experienced users, lists of underwatched/read series
My thoughts exactly. You know, actually I'm 0K with everything on that page, busyness, popularity, advertizing and all, I understand it all, I can bear with that, it's needed, nothing is free. But one thing makes me "WTF?!" - that so-called "Underrated Gems" article. Seriously? Dear MAL stuff, you desperately need to raise your standards for authors. Because this "gems" are really something, and not in positive way. I'm amazed how someone with almost 5OO anime was able to write such article.
NaotoYShirogane said:
MALchan.
MAL-chan, youroshiku onegai! MAL-chan is desperately trying to appeal to everyone. Guess she didn't knew that proverb about what happens when you trying to please everyone.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Jul 25, 2015 10:53 AM

Jul 2015
kitsune0 said:
Matoro_Mahri said:
Good in concept, terrible in execution. I clicked that link expecting, say, opinion pieces from experienced users, lists of underwatched/read series
My thoughts exactly. You know, actually I'm 0K with everything on that page, busyness, popularity, advertizing and all, I understand it all, I can bear with that, it's needed, nothing is free. But one thing makes me "WTF?!" - that so-called "Underrated Gems" article. Seriously? Dear MAL stuff, you desperately need to raise your standards for authors. Because this "gems" are really something, and not in positive way. I'm amazed how someone with almost 5OO anime was able to write such article.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion- just because it's not what you like doesn't mean someone else can't like it! :)
君の未来を明るく照らすなんてお茶の子サイサイサイ!!!!!!!

Jul 25, 2015 11:36 AM

Sep 2010
RilakkuLina said:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion- just because it's not what you like doesn't mean someone else can't like it! :)
People use smiles when they think their post stinks, so they trying to soften it with that smiles.
No, "argument" about taste not working here. This article is about somewhat special, supposedly unique, anime that has something that other anime don't. So it's all about knowing and understanding what's rare and what's common in anime. For example, anime about bird-watching is definitely unique. Anime that is completely drawn by crayons is unique. Unorthodox view on common anime theme? - Yes, that's it. Anime that seemingly starts in one genre but actually develops in completely unthinkable direction? - Yes, that also qualifies. In short, it can't be dull, uninteresting anime. You can hate or love it, but it never makes you yawn.
And what we see in that article? Is it really "Hidden gems"? No. It's right what you talked about - it's just author's personal favorites. 0h, great, what else? There are already personal blogs and forums with tons of personal favorites.
Just as I say - it has nothing to do with tastes, it has to do with quality. I'm personally don't like any other article in that section, but that's me - I just don't like that fandoms, or the so-called "news" are an old story for me. But I understand that it's me, there are people who fawn over these fandoms, and people who are not that much on Japan-related news sites. And that's putting aside reasons I already mentioned as understandable (busyness and so on, there must be articles about popular anime).
Try again.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Jul 26, 2015 3:28 AM

Jul 2012
Hidden gem should refer to something only few people have seen and as such are overlooked and go unnoticed. Or being unique as kitsune0 said. This has nothing to do with personal taste. Every show has fans and haters, claiming something to be underrated is silly. (Same goes for overrated) People value things differently and knowledge plays big part in this. Someone who is new to anime, is his opinion invalid?
Jul 26, 2015 9:28 AM

May 2012
MAL had articles i never knew lol
but hope it would be awesome!
Jul 27, 2015 12:56 AM
Aug 2013
Nice feature, but will there ever be a BBCODE editor on MAL forums and profiles? It's really annoying to write the messages/ edit our profiles without BBCODE editor.
Jul 27, 2015 1:06 AM
Jul 2015
COOL i just joined and already love the site alto it is missing some main stream anime and an original art work gallery would be cool
Jul 27, 2015 2:55 AM
Jul 2015
nice :)
Jul 27, 2015 5:20 PM

Dec 2014
Good to see adding more stuff to the website. Keep up the hard work!
Jul 28, 2015 1:37 AM

Jun 2014
could be good , i just hope it won't be filled with the same animes , like AOT and Naruto at the moment
Jul 28, 2015 4:27 AM

Nov 2013
Stark700 said:
I don't visit blogs much but I have mixed thoughts on this. Some of the articles are also episode reviews (more likely whole series reviews when a show is done airing). We'll see how it goes I guess.

It'll be interesting to see how the moderation will be done for this and the full guidelines on what is acceptable and what's not. Still, mixed thoughts so far.

I agree with this. In my time I came across bloggers who were pretty damn good at what they did (having anime blogs), they were visited by thousands, like Random Curiosity. However, I also came across a lot of really shit, boring and pointless blogs. Handing this out to just random people with no proper article/blogging knowledge will just result in spam. Either enforce proper guidelines or remove this from each anime's home page because it looks like spam as it is now.
Jul 28, 2015 5:59 AM

Nov 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
With this and the streaming I keep wondering, are you trying to become the new Crunchyroll?

I hope not. Otherwise i'll have to find a PhpmyAnimeList script.

Jul 28, 2015 8:19 AM

Jun 2013
The idea is quite good, but the staff seriously needs to upgrade the quality & standard of these articles. It's understandable that MAL is trying to attract the avarage audience, but Naruto/snk/OP are just three anime of thousands from MAL database. Keep the articles diverse & not focused on these three atleast.

The titles also sound clickbaity as many posted in this thread.

If it wasnt for Guardian Enzo's articles I wouldnt even visit this section, that's how bad the current state of this "featured articles" is.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Jul 28, 2015 7:05 PM

May 2014
I was wondering what that page was about.
Sounds interesting enough.
Jul 28, 2015 8:02 PM

Jun 2013
Yea idk too^^^^
Jul 29, 2015 2:16 AM

Apr 2009
..and another batch of articles that is still full of clickbait.
Aren't the authors ashamed of writing such terribly trivial and intellectually insulting drivel? Come on, at least have the decency to write reviews instead of lists without effort and lame recaps. Just give me anything that is more than fangirling oo fanboying of a 12-year old with the attention span of a retarded goldfish.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 30, 2015 12:31 AM

Aug 2014
I like this idea. I like to blog and hope maybe you'll feature a piece I write.
BlurredVision18Jul 30, 2015 12:36 AM
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jul 30, 2015 8:12 AM
Apr 2013
kitsune0 said:
Matoro_Mahri said:
NaotoYShirogane said:
MALchan.
MAL-chan, youroshiku onegai! MAL-chan is desperately trying to appeal to everyone. Guess she didn't knew that proverb about what happens when you trying to please everyone.

Actually I though that was the most interesting article on the page
The episode recaps are an OK idea too I guess
We just need to tone down on the zillions of Naruto and Attack on Titan etc articles
Jul 30, 2015 8:41 AM

Jan 2014
What the actual fuck. There's an article with significant One Piece spoilers in THE FREAKING TITLE. Like, are these articles even checked and approved before they get posted? This is ridiculous.
Jul 30, 2015 8:53 PM

Nov 2011
Yhuuro said:
There's an article with significant One Piece spoilers in THE FREAKING TITLE. Like, are these articles even checked and approved before they get posted? This is ridiculous.

I got spoiled by the same one, I think.

I agree. It's upsetting. Spoiler posts need to be tagged and marked.
Jul 31, 2015 1:21 PM

Oct 2010
personally, i would love to be an author (since i blog about nendoroids and silly articles like this one) but i agree with Yhuuro - there should be a check for spoilers especially in the titles. :
blog.::.patreon.::.

Aug 1, 2015 1:17 AM
Jul 2015
Hi. I'm a freelance Writer by trade that posts for places like Japanator and Tomopop. I'd like to get in on this if I could.
Aug 1, 2015 2:36 PM

Jun 2012
thought this sounds great
then i actually took a look

lol.
Aug 1, 2015 7:42 PM

Jan 2012
Mum said:
thought this sounds great
then i actually took a look

lol.

Same thought here

Aug 2, 2015 5:48 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Just to note
I'd like to make it very clear that the writers for the articles on the Featured page are not staff members. I see people referring to them as "the staff", but they are not; they are more "featured members".

Up until this point, my and the staff's involvement with the featured articles page has been practically nonexistent. I'm just getting back into things now after my extended absence to write my thesis, and I will try to make sure some of the complaints in this thread are addressed.

I sincerely apologise to anyone who was spoiled. It always makes me feel pretty nasty when I get spoiled while modding, so I completely understand.

Aug 3, 2015 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
@Kineta: Thanks for pointing that out, I thought that the writers and the editors are going to be in the staff list XD
Aug 4, 2015 6:53 AM

May 2014
Cnon said:
Cersei said:
Most of the new features don't really interest me.
I hope we get something nice for profiles or the forums soon.

This. Yay yet another useless feature.

give it a click..it might be on its foundation but maybe good for news update+pictures instead of title only
Aug 4, 2015 8:17 AM

Nov 2010
I think the solution is simple : Enable comment system in the article, make a proper guideline about what article should be in it (or not), and recruit proper writers for the section.

If you could recruit people who are at least half as competent as Enzo you should be fine. Also, while I approve the quality of his writing, I don't think episodic review/recap should belong there. As for now though, majority of the articles are simply embarrassing and you could even recruit better people by randomly strolling in the forum and messaging some thread starters who made decent threads.
zeroyuki92Aug 4, 2015 8:21 AM
Aug 23, 2015 1:14 AM

Feb 2013
I think a character database would be a awesome feature.
Aug 23, 2015 1:39 AM

Mar 2013
Nano1124 said:
I think a character database would be a awesome feature.

The Character & People DB already exists alongside Anime DB and Manga DB.
Aug 25, 2015 2:46 PM
Jan 2012
please add comments..
Aug 27, 2015 8:08 AM

Oct 2008
This is the first time I've heard about this and I really want to know the backgrounds of these featured article writers. Do they go through some kind of quality check? How knowledgeable are they? What are their motivations for writing these articles?

Ah, so we can't comment. I'm looking at articles face-palming and the lack of a comment feature to vent my frustration, tear down misconceptions and gain catharsis through the process, er... I mean share thoughts and opinions, is driving me insane. (^o^)
Aug 28, 2015 6:29 PM

Jun 2010
I'll paste this here as well since it looks like the Suggestions sub-forum is defunct as always:

xbobx said:
Right now, if you take a quick look at the articles page, 9/10 of the posts there have the "spoiler" tag under it.
This is troublesome in many ways, as this thread just exemplified.
So I was thinking, couldn't they diversify more their posts with stuff that aren't spoilers?
There's a lot to explore outside of the "Saddest character deaths" range, and given that many of those writers come from anime/manga blogs, I'm sure they know it.
Talk a bit about the industry, the rise and fall of GAINAX, the changes in Madhouse animation, how Anno's Gunbuster set new standards for mechs or even tell the story of great directors that started solo on their own like Shinkai or Satoshi.
Or even bring some spoilers but with actual content, i.e: the similarities of Maoyu and S&W and why it's not a coincidence; the historical accuracy/relevance of SoraNoWoto; or even the setting and casting of Tari Tari based on real locations and people.
More articles like this: The world of Psycho-Pass and the Sibyl System or Sports Anime: Before the Boom Part I is something I'd enjoy to read.

Of course this is more time consuming than writing about "anime X episode 7 recap" or "interview with Y" or the damn "X NARUTO Y something NARUTO Z" which are probably pastas from their own blogs. Also if the author isn't versed on the subject it might take a little researching as well, but they are getting paid for it aren't them? If they are not, they do it because they like it, so it shouldn't be a burden after all.

I know this is a work in process but if they diversify more now in the beginning, instead of writing the cliche fighting shounen trivia or "episode X comments" someone who wouldn't browse the area mainly because this stuff is floating everywhere on the weeaboo net, could have its interest picked by a more unusual subject and start following the posts regularly.

@Edit: Isn't there a way to filter articles by writer?

(source)
Sep 3, 2015 7:07 PM

Nov 2010
So will we get comment section or not? As much as I want to complain and downvote the bad articles, I would love if I could discuss on (still rare but starting to appear) interesting articles and praising the good ones.
Sep 12, 2015 2:21 PM

Oct 2008
Out of pure, unadulterated curiosity, how were the initial authors selected?
Sep 20, 2015 1:14 PM

Jun 2010
Oct 17, 2015 3:17 PM

Jun 2010
Bump.

Yet another half-implemented feature with tons of feedback awaiting for a glimpse of attention.
Oct 18, 2015 12:24 AM
Mar 2015

NashetaniaNov 16, 2015 4:31 AM
Oct 18, 2015 12:47 AM

May 2013
Neverending Evolution of Anime article is horrible.
Oct 18, 2015 11:32 AM

Jun 2010
Grudge said:

DeNA said:
Anime knowledge is a must.

To be considered for the role, you must have watched at least 15 anime series. Please include the names of 15 anime series you have watched when you contact us

KEK.
This is a joke, right?
Oct 18, 2015 10:15 PM
Mar 2015
xbobx said:
Grudge said:

KEK.
This is a joke, right?

Alack, it is not.
Oct 31, 2015 4:33 PM

Feb 2015
i have to admit you guys were right bashing the first articles, but then i found them improving. however it's back to crap -_- "Popular short haired girls"? "Ponytailed girls"? anime twin girls? and those top 20 quotes are laughable almost every time. the only thing worth reading now are interviews and the now rare articles about japan.
Oct 31, 2015 6:41 PM

Jun 2010
TomDay said:
i have to admit you guys were right bashing the first articles, but then i found them improving. however it's back to crap -_- "Popular short haired girls"? "Ponytailed girls"? anime twin girls? and those top 20 quotes are laughable almost every time. the only thing worth reading now are interviews and the now rare articles about japan.

Agreed.
That's one of the main reasons I'd love to see a "filter by author" option.
There are some pretty interesting posts from time to time, written by a few authors with common sense and more knowledge on the medium than a potato. However finding those rare gems in the middle of "My favorite naruto scenes!!!! xD xD" is tiresome.
Oct 31, 2015 7:17 PM

Mar 2008
I hope we can get a forum or comment section for these articles sometime. They deserve a little more public exposure.
Nov 11, 2015 5:54 PM

Feb 2015
Nice feature if you've got nothing to do. And want to kill some time.
Nov 14, 2015 1:32 PM

Apr 2009
http://myanimelist.net/featured/848
http://myanimelist.net/featured/849

So, this is just straight up an excuse for advertising now?
Sasuga MAL....

So, when will we actually get the in-depth stuff we are promised? And when will these articles stop being shameless lowest common denominator and lists for 11-year olds devoid of any interesting background info?
NidhoeggrNov 14, 2015 1:35 PM
Nov 14, 2015 2:29 PM

Aug 2008
Can you at least hide useless stuff like these articles, episode names (that also contain spoilers) or "background" (with redundant, useless, obvious or not important info) in a tab instead of stretching the page? It's ridiculous how much you have to scroll down through all that rubbish, (worthless with this system) reviews and ridiculous recommendations (that in most cases are obvious, wrong or can contain spoilers) to get to news, discussion or links.

Actual information should be prioritized over user opinions/writing or trivia in the page layout.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 18, 2015 7:03 AM

Apr 2009
Antanaru said:
Can you at least hide useless stuff like these articles, episode names (that also contain spoilers) or "background" (with redundant, useless, obvious or not important info) in a tab instead of stretching the page? It's ridiculous how much you have to scroll down through all that rubbish, (worthless with this system) reviews and ridiculous recommendations (that in most cases are obvious, wrong or can contain spoilers) to get to news, discussion or links.

Actual information should be prioritized over user opinions/writing or trivia in the page layout.

Actual information priotized on a LIST that should primary focus on INFORMATION? How silly! I am totally glad MAL is not focussing on those and is instead adding useless social media stuff, random crap nobody needs and ignores the protests of the community.
Nov 18, 2015 11:48 AM

Sep 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
protests of the community.
Alas, we're nothing but only a bloody minority, mate, everybody else is like totally don't give a crap approve of this glorious changes!

Nov 18, 2015 11:38 PM

Nov 2014
Why is MAL now the Bleacher Report of anime? Get this shit outta here.
Quality Queen.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.