Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people download anime over streaming?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 22, 2015 6:28 PM
Sep 2010
Mainly because online video codec is not as as the video codec we have directly install with or video players. Because of that even if the video say it is at 1080p or 720p. you are really viewing something at a lowest quality.

The best way that you can see the difference for yourself is to download a 720 or 1080p anime and watch the same anime on the internet. You will notice that even the download 720p will have a better quality than the stream of either 720 or 1080.

Online codec are very light to allow or browser to play it properly. that means that Netflix app will have a better result than Netflix on the browser....Well I did notice a big difference a few years ago when I used to used it
Aug 22, 2015 7:39 PM

Sep 2013
j0x said:
streaming already re-encodes an already re-encoded fansub, so quality will degrade especially that streaming video encoding settings have lower bitrate (for lower tolerable quality but lower file size) and fast settings that is meant for playback even on slow computers/devices

so a lot download fansubs (not HorribleSubs since they are just webrips) because the video encoding settings are much geared towards high quality (that means higher bitrate or bigger file size) and they are only re-encoded from the original source broadcast

streaming videos = re-encoded twice (original source and fansubs)
fansub videos = re-encoded only once from original source

Fuck me I've been watching horriblesubs almost exclusively ;_;
wow
Aug 22, 2015 7:44 PM

Jan 2013
What site are you finding 1080p quality vids on for stream OP?
Aug 22, 2015 7:46 PM
Aug 2015
For me personally I do it for the rewatch and to add to my collection
Aug 22, 2015 9:29 PM
Feb 2013
I cringe at the thought of people who exclusively watch blurry streams
Aug 23, 2015 12:07 AM

Nov 2014
I find streaming more convenient, whether legally or illegally, than downloading, especially 20gbs of either 24-26 episode long anime series and that is only in 720p quality, let alone in 1080p being 40gbs, which, depending on your net speed it would download in 5-7 hours with 1mb dl speed for 720p quality or double the amount for 1080p, should you have faster net speed, it'll less time to download depending on your speed.
And, if you have that fast of a connection you can easily stream without any problem; the only downside to streams is the compression of the videos causing to lose some quality.

So, based on that, I don't want to wait couple of hours just so I can start to watch that certain anime, when it's easily accessible through streaming.
Aug 23, 2015 12:28 AM

Nov 2011
AO968 said:
- Better quality video
- Better quality subs (especially if they're based on Funi's subs),
- No worries about my internet crapping out on me halfway through an episode,
- No worries that a show has been deleted (either voluntarily or due to copyright reasons),
- Availability. Some shows that I could watch legally aren't available in my region,
- I can watch them anytime I want, without needing an active internet connection,
- Streaming usually requires buffering, and that tends to lag a bit sometimes. With a download, I can watch right away, without having to worry about lag,
- No annoying ads (unless the subber put them in, but gg is pretty much dead, so the chances of that happening are pretty much zero now).

to add:
better quality audio (youtube audio is cringe-worthy at times)
being able to remove subs altogether (softsubs only)
easily take a high quality screen shot of a scene you like
streams usually only show the hdtv version, while you can watch the blu-ray version via download (and yes, the difference can be very noticeable, such as in twin tails and mekakucity)
being able to stop, rewind any part, or skip to any part of the video
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Aug 23, 2015 12:29 AM

Sep 2013
honestly the only reason i'd dl over stream is for that 60fps playback. otherwise 1080p streams on some websites are perfectly bearable.
wow
Aug 23, 2015 8:53 AM

Jul 2013
It's free. No danger of buffering delay/lag/disconnection.
Aug 23, 2015 8:58 AM

Mar 2012
Windows 10 has fucked up both VLC and MPC for me (Can play the videos just fine, but subtitles cause the video to freeze for some reason) so I find myself downloading anime less and less.

Plus fansubbing is fucking dead and now that I've finally got decent internet I can stream in 1080p without any issues. Between Crunchyroll, Anime Lab (Which now has a ton of Funimation stuff that wasn't previously available in Australia) and Daisuki the only series I have to rely on fansubs for is Precure.
Aug 23, 2015 9:07 AM

Apr 2014
most of the times it gives better quality, and you don't have to have internet when they're already on your pc. I still prefer streaming though.
Aug 23, 2015 9:09 AM

Oct 2013
Because sometimes i don't get internet so i just download them first and
watch it whenever i don't have internet with like when i go to trips,
i don't wanna use my all my data for them which really consumes a lot.

Sometimes I download them because they are too precious
that i want to keep them, like making them collectibles.

They can be used to make GIFS, pick the funny moments, stare&drool at them,
etc. There are lots of things you can possibly do if you download them.

But of course watching them online is fine too, it is just that you benefit more if
you download them :)

"Hello."

Aug 23, 2015 9:12 AM

Feb 2013
KendiKong said:
I cringe at the thought of people who exclusively watch blurry streams
how often does that happen ?_?
Aug 23, 2015 9:13 AM

Apr 2014
not dealing with shit translations
Aug 23, 2015 9:22 AM

Oct 2010
I'll only download anime for either better quality, or if it's a special or picture drama that you can't find online so you have to download it. Kissanime does a great job quality wise, I also really enjoy using Crunchyroll since it's so compatable with mobile and has HD streaming.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Nov 10, 2015 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
download from kissanime whatever
Nov 10, 2015 1:16 PM

Feb 2015
RainHeaven said:
#1 reason is better video quality.
#2 reason is choice of fansubs.
#3 reason is watching anime on mobile devices.

+Collection
+Rewatch
and this too
LooseGooseMoose said:
It's free. No danger of buffering delay/lag/disconnection.
Nov 11, 2015 5:48 AM

Apr 2014
madvr
Nov 11, 2015 5:50 AM

Jun 2014
Mostly for better quality, and because not every anime is on streaming sites.
Nov 11, 2015 7:46 PM

Feb 2015
i don't understand why anyone would want to do that unless they had a fast computer. i have had moments when the internet was out though (for months) and regretted it, but when it comes back on i just go back to streaming. it's a neverending cycle.
Nov 11, 2015 7:49 PM

Dec 2014
Valkata said:
Mostly for better quality, and because not every anime is on streaming sites.
Nov 11, 2015 7:50 PM

Mar 2015
TomDay said:
i don't understand why anyone would want to do that unless they had a fast computer. i have had moments when the internet was out though (for months) and regretted it, but when it comes back on i just go back to streaming. it's a neverending cycle.
how if i told you that most of people from 3rd world who has the worst interenet speed out there mostly download? streaming is good when you have not too bad speed. but if you have extreamly low speed, (less than 60Kb/s), trust me, download is far better.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 11, 2015 8:22 PM

Jan 2015
Simple because i pay for data, and i re-watch episodes.
Nov 11, 2015 11:39 PM

Nov 2009
It's always a good thing to have your own reserve copy of an anime in case bad guys take over/money runs out/streaming sites stop working for any other reason. Gotta catch em' all!
Nov 11, 2015 11:53 PM

Jan 2008
Bluray versions are not available on streaming.
Nov 12, 2015 7:16 AM

Mar 2015
#1 can watch w/o wifi
#2 can watch in HD
#3 no ads
#4 can watch at any time
#5 can trade anime with local animefags
#6 show off that 1TB disk
Nov 12, 2015 7:29 AM

Apr 2015
Because I'm an animucaptor.
Nov 12, 2015 7:36 AM

Aug 2015
Don't have time to stream them thanks to my tight schedule
Nov 12, 2015 7:02 PM
Dec 2014
Quality wise you CANNOT beat a well encoded bluray rip.
And if you live in a country with decent broadband why not go for the best? If there are enough seeds downloading 20Gb only takes 3-4 hours at most.
Nov 12, 2015 9:09 PM
Sep 2015
Cause you can watch it on the go
Nov 12, 2015 9:12 PM

Mar 2012
Better Quality
Nov 12, 2015 9:43 PM

Nov 2015
Downloading gives better quality, and if your internet isn't that good it wont buffer :).
"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it." - ToraDora
Nov 12, 2015 9:51 PM

Sep 2012
I use to download but It was too much of a hassle when I want to watch something right away. I have to wait for an hour or more for it to finish downloading when I can watch 3 episodes already by just streaming it. Streaming is just more convenient. Its easy to find what you want to watch on kissanime for an example. You can easily have access to new ongoing anime and all kind of genres with just a couple of clicks and without any waiting. The quality for downloads aren't too big of a difference for me to switch nor do I care about having it on my computer unless its for a amv or If I want to rewatch it in the future. Also, Streaming is very good when you're on your tablet. Having to download shit and then extract it to your tablet is time consuming.

Its especially a huge hassle when you're catching up on ongoing anime titles. Lets say you wanna watch 6 different titles but they have 7 episodes each. You gotta go to each individual link and click download for every single one of them. Then load them all on a torrent client and wait for all of that. Now, if it was streaming, its just a lot faster. Just couple of clicks and you're watching already. If you don't care about the quality nor having it on your computer and you want to be able to watch it right away. I'd say streaming is better.
FlamingMangosNov 12, 2015 9:57 PM
Nov 12, 2015 11:59 PM

Nov 2009
FlamingMangos said:
Its especially a huge hassle when you're catching up on ongoing anime titles. Lets say you wanna watch 6 different titles but they have 7 episodes each. You gotta go to each individual link and click download for every single one of them. Then load them all on a torrent client and wait for all of that. Now, if it was streaming, its just a lot faster. Just couple of clicks and you're watching already. If you don't care about the quality nor having it on your computer and you want to be able to watch it right away. I'd say streaming is better.

I recommend feeding your torrent client with RSS feeds, so that it would automatically download new stuff even when you're away. Took me a few tries to make it work right, but it's a lot more convenient.
Nov 13, 2015 12:03 AM

Nov 2015
don't really get it either. maybe if i knew how to torrent better, i'd do it

goodnight

Nov 13, 2015 1:36 AM

Feb 2014
They take up way too much space and take too long to download.

And, I can find good quality streams, so there's that.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Nov 13, 2015 1:41 AM

Apr 2014
Because a lot of downloaded anime have higher quality.
Nov 13, 2015 3:05 AM

Jan 2015
I prefer streaming, comes out earlier, doesnt takes up 50405050 GB space after downloading 500 series and the quality is perfect aswell...
Nov 13, 2015 3:31 AM
May 2009
1. You have a copy you can watch if you don't have access to the internet.
2. Its better quality, and you won't be hindered by connectivity issues.
3. You can build a library, that would never fail till the hard drives fail.
4. Portability, you can watch in the sky on the road in the dessert where there is no internet.
5. Better sound and Visual quality.
6. No need to search for links.
7. Can go back and marathon. No need to re stream and re search links to rewatch.
8. NO ADS.

So many other reasons others have mentioned.
Nov 13, 2015 3:54 AM
Jan 2014
I download because I can watch in my cellphone when I'm not at home
Nov 13, 2015 4:02 AM
Jan 2013
I used to watch anime in 10 bit HD format. /a/ told me that was the only way to watch anime and, what can I say, I was more impressionable back then. It was better quality, but now I just can't be bothered. Only movies and Satoshi Kon shows really deserve the 10 bit luxury treatment now. Bakemonogatari was also better in HD.
Nov 13, 2015 10:53 AM
Mar 2015
-Higher quality
-Better subs
-My internet is slow
-Crunchyroll isn't too popular in my country, including Netflix
-DVDs/BDs are too expensive in my country
-Best way to enjoy anime in a phone, TV, PSP or iPod without internet messing up
-Can watch anime easier with other weebs and otakus
-Makes marathoning/binge-watching easier
-Makes building an anime library easier
-BD/uncensored versions
-Being able to play a random part of the video
-No buffers

There are reasons why streaming is better though:

-Better playback, since some fansubs encode their MKVs in a way my phone lags while playing it. At least there's Handbrake...
-It's easier
-No need for waiting for the show to download.
Nov 13, 2015 11:48 AM

Nov 2013
Better quality, you can pick the sub group you want (streams aren't usually tagged with fansubing group names), softsubs, you can get multiple audio and sub tracks, the possibility of archiving, the video won't lag, you don't have to see ads on streaming sites...
(Also, there are lot of series you just won't find at any streaming site.)
You all need to watch Nami.

Nov 13, 2015 11:59 AM

Nov 2015
You can watch anime on the car, on the plane, on the bed, on the toilet, on the phone, on the tablet, on your television.

Download just gives it more freedom.
Set by Sacred <3
Nov 13, 2015 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
> You can also stream torrents using strem.io or other programs and VLC for currently airing anime. The best of the two worlds. But I usually download for finished shows.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

11 by deg »»
9 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
22 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
29 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 41 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.