Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people download anime over streaming?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Jul 19, 2015 8:32 PM
I'm asking because I'm completely info-less on this topic.

I personally stream anime (illegally) and I get it all HD (mostly 1080 sometimes 720 with older shows). Does getting a paid subscription improve on that, it can't go over 1080p right?

Does downloading provide better quality? If it does so, because if the stream is already 1080p how does downloading improve on this?

If I were to start downloading/torrenting (whatever you guys do I really have no idea) how would I do this?

Jul 19, 2015 8:35 PM

Yes, downloading provides better quality, and there are many obscure Anime out there that can't be found on any streaming site.

Jul 19, 2015 8:36 PM

Rewatch, better quality, organized storage, offline watching, easier screenshots, no ads.

holobestgrill said:
If I were to start downloading/torrenting (whatever you guys do I really have no idea) how would I do this?

nyaa for torrenting
PM me if you're interested in small encodes because I'm yo girl

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

interested in redrawing or translating manga? come to cotton candy scans

Jul 19, 2015 8:40 PM

I download anime for rewatch and archival purpose so that I can introduce it to my friends who know nothing about anime or anime watching friends who haven't watched the series I downloaded.

Jul 19, 2015 8:43 PM
streaming already re-encodes an already re-encoded fansub, so quality will degrade especially that streaming video encoding settings have lower bitrate (for lower tolerable quality but lower file size) and fast settings that is meant for playback even on slow computers/devices

so a lot download fansubs (not HorribleSubs since they are just webrips) because the video encoding settings are much geared towards high quality (that means higher bitrate or bigger file size) and they are only re-encoded from the original source broadcast

streaming videos = re-encoded twice (original source and fansubs)
fansub videos = re-encoded only once from original source

bcoz not all countries hav moar than 3 mbps internet speed
we hav 0.56 kbps as the regular speed so...........
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race

Blade Runner

Downloading provides better quality, i don't have to wait for anything to load if i have crappy internet, and what happens if the internet goes out? The only risk is that you have a slightly higher chance to get a virus.

Jul 19, 2015 8:45 PM

Karadzic said:
bcoz not all countries hav moar than 3 mbps internet speed
we hav 0.56 kbps as the regular speed so...........
tsk tsk
u shood be grateful
i hav <64 kbps internet speed for nao

Jul 19, 2015 8:51 PM

Cause I'm poor and when my wifi get cut off I can still watch anime.

Jul 19, 2015 8:54 PM
#1 reason is better video quality.
#2 reason is choice of fansubs.
#3 reason is watching anime on mobile devices.

Jul 19, 2015 8:55 PM

Right now I'm on a vacation in South America, so the internet here isn't fast enough to stream HD video. I also watched anime on the plane ride over to here.

Jul 19, 2015 10:23 PM

* Better quality.
* (often) Better subs, or at least more options.
* More portable, especially if you're temporarily without an Internet connection.
* And the moral reason: downloading doesn't give revenue to pirates. If you're not going to support the industry by watching legal streams or buying legitimate discs/merchandise, at least have the decency to avoid letting shady parasites profit off the industry's work.

And as explained here, you're not going to get above 1080p for the foreseeable future. But not all 1080p or 720p or even 480p streams and downloads are created equal. Legal streaming, whether on a paid subscription or watched free with ads, will generally be better than illegal streaming because illegal streaming adds another lossy encoding step.

TV-rip subbed releases:
TV transport stream -> Fansubber* encode

Legal streams:
TV transport stream (or similar source) -> stream encode

Illegal streams:
TV transport stream -> Fansubber encode -> stream encode

Or in other words, say you start with a music file in .flac, but want to listen to it in .mp3 form. A fansubber/downloadable encode would be like encoding that .flac to 320 kbps .mp3, a legal stream would be like encoding that .flac to something like 160 kbps .mp3 (due to site bandwidth limits and such), and an illegal stream would be like encoding that .flac to 320 kbps .mp3, then encoding that 320 kbps .mp3 again to 160 kbps .mp3 -- not a recipe for ideal or even decent quality.

*Though many refer to downloadable subbed anime releases as "fansubs," most releases for current/ongoing anime are edits of official subs taken from legal streams, rather than original fan-made translations as seen with subbed releases of pre ~2009 anime.
Modified by Zalis, Jul 20, 2015 1:06 AM

Jul 19, 2015 10:57 PM

My connection won't allow me to do 1080p streaming :(
All credit goes to Sacred.

Jul 19, 2015 11:00 PM

maybe its in case their little sister suddenly decides to turn the internet off because she thinks its funny and wants to play or their brother starts downloading stuff making it incredibly slow and impossible to stream ><

Jul 19, 2015 11:01 PM

One word: Kissanime.

Jul 19, 2015 11:03 PM

you can collect as much as you like..download while watching other series...though i got tons of shows not watched yet...streaming sucks when the internet gets slow..so having the file itself with a fixed bitrate you won't need to worry when streaming an episode that gets blurry and you don't need for it to buffer when the internet is slow.

But you'll still take damage!

Jul 19, 2015 11:08 PM

Because i like having it on my computer. I can also watch stuff if i don't have an internet connection.

Plus i just don't like streaming.

Jul 19, 2015 11:09 PM
Blade Runner

AnimeFanJoe123 said:
One word: Kissanime.

But that's two-...Screw it.

Jul 19, 2015 11:09 PM

better quality + you don't need to be connected to the internet

Jul 19, 2015 11:10 PM

Because they suck lol KissAnime does the job perfectly, all the anime in 1080p/720p and on top of it it's available on tablets and mobile devices.

Jul 19, 2015 11:13 PM

mayukachan said:
Rewatch, better quality, organized storage, offline watching, easier screenshots, no ads.

holobestgrill said:

nyaa for torrenting

Don't forget waste of hard drive space.
Effort to download.
Time waiting to download.
Download each episode separately.
Needs internet to download.
Unable to share opinions due to no comment section.
Has to get onto a browser to search for a forum or a comment section to share opinions.
^Takes more effort^
It's illegal (so is illegal streaming but ssshhh)
Has to delete after completing (If you want more space)
Has to permanently delete it from the recycling bin after deleted.
More mouse clicks.
I don't like it.
Not mobile compatible.

Okay now don't hate me, I am just stating the facts.

Jul 19, 2015 11:19 PM

i mean i only need 30 sec or a minute to download a episode so its faster and has better quality then a stream

Jul 19, 2015 11:22 PM

Shirayukishi said:
KissAnime does the job perfectly, all the anime in 1080p/720p and on top of it it's available on tablets and mobile devices.

This^

It doesn't get any better than Kiss Anime's quality, so downloading isn't needed as long as the anime is actually on the site. For obscure stuff, downloading is needed. I suppose if one's internet speed can't stream at 1080 then Kiss won't do them any good.

Jul 19, 2015 11:27 PM
Is there a specific site to download anime?

Jul 19, 2015 11:28 PM

Jul 19, 2015 11:29 PM

Choosen_Hero said:
Is there a specific site to download anime?

nyaa.se

Jul 19, 2015 11:38 PM
TheCorruptedWolf said:
mayukachan said:

nyaa for torrenting

Don't forget waste of hard drive space.
Effort to download.
Time waiting to download.
Has to get onto a browser to search for a forum or a comment section to share opinions.
^Takes more effort^
Has to delete after completing (If you want more space)
Has to permanently delete it from the recycling bin after deleted.
More mouse clicks.
I don't like it.
Not mobile compatible.

TheCorruptedWolf said:

Effort to download.

You can set up an auto downloader that downloads what you want for you.

TheCorruptedWolf said:

There are downloads that include all episodes in a season.

TheCorruptedWolf said:

You need an internet connection to stream.

TheCorruptedWolf said:

1. Open streaming site with comment section
2. Open your downloaded anime
3. Have both player and website next to eachother
4. Problem solved.

TheCorruptedWolf said:

Why did you include this.

TheCorruptedWolf said:

Not mobile compatible.

My android phone plays all of my downloaded anime.

Edit:
TheCorruptedWolf said:

TheCorruptedWolf said:

facts

huehuehue
Modified by illixxion, Jul 19, 2015 11:42 PM

Jul 19, 2015 11:42 PM
Okashi_sama said:

This nailed it really fucking hard

Jul 19, 2015 11:47 PM

Okashi_sama said:
Fiesty.

People tend to be heated and abrasive when it comes to downloading and streaming content, it isn't our responsibility to cry because other people are using inferior means to view content.
the progeny of a dropped colony

Jul 19, 2015 11:57 PM

I download anime that is older for better quality and will usually keep it if I liked it for a future rewatch if not I just delete it. New anime releases has a really good streaming quality so I just watch it online and if I liked it I will download it later.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Jul 19, 2015 11:57 PM

Lol at the "why do you stream?" poster above. Someone's salty. Also lol at the notion that 200+ GB or even 1 TB hard drives are enough.

But yeah, download for quality and convenience. I still say put the money down for the shows and whatnot you really like. That way you can support the industry. And if you actually buy DVDs/BDs instead of just streaming, then you have a physical copy that isn't susceptible to being accidentally deleted or lost when a hard drive crashes and can save some space on your computer/external drives.
Modified by -Trippwire-, Jul 20, 2015 12:00 AM

Jul 20, 2015 12:14 AM

PaisleyPark said:
People tend to be heated and abrasive when it comes to downloading and streaming content, it isn't our responsibility to cry because other people are using inferior means to view content.
But it is our responsibility, well, kinda, to tell people who share who the same hobby as we do that there's another way which they might find more convenient and better to view content. It's like telling someone who doesn't know much about PCs that the game he's currently running on low graphics can be played at higher quality because his PC can handle it. Wouldn't think that it would enhance its experience with the game, even slightly? Not to mention it won't cost anything at that point but only a few clicks in the option menu.

But my post was mostly joke, people can watch however they want. I posted that because it shows how downloading can be miles better than streaming.

Jul 20, 2015 1:28 AM

Advantages of downloading over streaming:
1. Better quality. 90% of cases, streaming has worse quality then downloaded.
This excludes CR/Funi rips that have the same quality as their downloaded versions.
2. No buffering.
3. No DRM, you can watch it on whatever you want.
4. No limit. You can watch it now, or 10 years later, it will still be there.
5. No internet connection? No problem.

Advantages of streaming over downloads:
1. Almost idiot proof. You shouldn't be able to screw up streaming.
2. Starts faster then downloading.

Jul 20, 2015 1:31 AM

mayukachan said:

Pretty much + more comfortable and i am trascoder so.

Jul 20, 2015 1:32 AM
Hug Addict <3

>Most of the time, better video quality
>Easier to catalogue if you watch a lot of anime
>Bigger selection of sub releases
>Potentially there can be numerous sub tracks available with different options, such as turning honorifics on and off for example (I.E. it's customizable to your own preferences)
>No need to worry about buffering
>Can watch even if your internet dies (or you go somewhere where you have none or something)
>Media players have convenient options available with good releases which online players doesn't, for example the video will be divided into segments where you can auto-skip OPs and EDs at the push of a button etcetera
>Much better for screenshoting
Modified by HaXXspetten, Jul 20, 2015 1:35 AM

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Jul 20, 2015 1:33 AM

I love to make anime gifs and tons of screenshots, also AMV/MAD.
Also, I don't want to stream my hentai, I want it to be accessible conveniently.

Jul 20, 2015 1:35 AM

I don't see why people download. It's more legal in a lot of cases to stream.

Jul 20, 2015 1:37 AM

The video quality is better and you can watch without internet connection.

Jul 20, 2015 1:39 AM

Resolution is far from the only thing that determines video quality. Bit rate is often a more determining factor. Blu ray rips will always look way better than a shitty crunchy roll or funimation encode. Also there is the point that there isn't that much anime available on those sites.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Jul 20, 2015 1:40 AM

Relinquish022 said:
Downloading provides better quality, i don't have to wait for anything to load if i have crappy internet, and what happens if the internet goes out? The only risk is that you have a slightly higher chance to get a virus.

Mate, you joined in January of this year and have more posts than me? Wtf?

On Topic: I watch anime online since I don't have to wait for the download to complete in order for me to watch the anime I want to watch. Plus, there are other things I would rather spend my hard drive space on and I am poor, so I cannot afford additional hard drives.

Jul 20, 2015 1:42 AM

NaotoYShirogane said:
Relinquish022 said:

He doesn't, and he didn't join in January.
But how would that be strange anyways? It's not like 600 posts in almost a year is much.

Jul 20, 2015 1:52 AM

Imaishi said:
NaotoYShirogane said:

But how would that be strange anyways? It's not like 600 posts in almost a year is much.

I've almost made 6000 in under a year.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Jul 20, 2015 1:55 AM
Hug Addict <3

black1blade said:
Imaishi said:

I've almost made 6000 in under a year.
A friend of mine has over 30k in under a year >.>

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Ardanaz

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Jul 20, 2015 2:58 AM
You can watch when ever you want, no need to worry about internet connections or speed.
No need to find a link to rewatch. Not need to fiddle with online playlists.
No need to worry about links being closed. or blocked.

Jul 20, 2015 8:23 AM
I don't really download them. I watch almost everything online. There are a lot of animes I can't find for download.

Jul 20, 2015 9:16 AM

I used to watch it all online but now it's 50/50. I download and stream.

Jul 20, 2015 9:42 AM

I archive everything on my dedicated drives.
See something you want on my list but can't find it to download? Drop me a message and I'll help you out.

Jul 20, 2015 11:29 AM

I only streamed like a small number of series back in the day. Now I torrent everything I want in HD 1018 quality which does wonders to enhance my anime viewing experience. It still look fantastic when I hook my laptop to my HD tv and enjoy the shit that I'm watching.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jul 20, 2015 11:37 AM

Kishar said:

~You can rewatch the series whenever or wherever you want to.

Granted you have your computer, headphones, and some venue to watch it in.

~Better quality so that you don't have to squint to read subtitles or just can't see which character is on the screen.

There are a handful of HD streams, so this is a voided argument.

~Some animes can't be found being streamed.

This is once again something I'd void. Most all anime can be found being streamed in some venue or another, if it's downloadable, it's definitely streamable. Also, the stuff not being downloaded/streamed is usually ridiculous obscure.

~No ads.

Does this even warrant a response? Many streaming sites don't have ads, and if they do, they don't effect your ability to watch the shows, because they're off to the side. It's not like HD porn sites where you get popups 24/7.

~You can watch the anime when your without wifi.

This is just a more specific version of your first point...?

~You can literally watch it on your mobile devices too.

You can stream on mobile devices as well, but the quality is shit--so this is contradictory to what you said prior about higher res.

~Better subs (88% of time it's true).

I tend to disagree. Also, there's no real causation behind this, since both are pulled from the translators themselves, it's not like downloading provides you with a heap of new, upper-echelon subs that are otherwise unavailable streamed.

~Downloading isn't really illegal if it's from a legal website.

You do know what the word "legal" means, right? Pirating material, regardless of the quality of the pirating site, is undeniably illegal. You're still not paying for a service you should inherently be paying for.

~No viruses or things to hack into your computer.

Downloading something onto your physical computer poses more risk than streaming it, unless you're on Tor.

~And personally, I can't stream crap with my Internet connection nowadays.

This is the only real argument here, and it's highly personal.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.

Jul 20, 2015 12:17 PM
For their "collection"?

idk

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »