Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 18, 2015 4:19 PM

May 2011
I have PTSD from Endless Eight, so I started shuddering and vibrating when Kyon and Kyon no imouto were watching the baseball game, and then Kyon no imouto says, "Kyon-kun denwa."

*shudder*

Also, that confession made me rewind. I'm still trying to make sense of how Nagato came out of Yuki and heard that confession, and Yuki didn't.

A somewhat underwhelming finale. But of course, what would I expect from Haruhi?

5 is average, so 8/10. Great.
Jul 18, 2015 4:40 PM

Jul 2011
Overall it was okay. I guess I got too excited and anticipated too much for this since this was one of my very first mangas I have ever read back in my early highschool days.
Jul 18, 2015 7:14 PM
Oct 2007
So this show was just another endless eight timeline lol
Jul 18, 2015 7:49 PM

May 2014
Aaaah that reference after the credits, though.

Interesting series, I think we can all agree that the episodes during the time the "other" Yuki was present was the highlight of the season.

Not bad, 7.5-8/10
Jul 18, 2015 8:35 PM

Aug 2008
Uh, it was OK. Kinda average, but the animation, VA's and OST's were really nice, so meh.

IF anything, the worst thing is the Endless Eight reference at the end.
Jul 18, 2015 8:55 PM

Jun 2013
Oh boy that endless 8 reference at the beginning and the ending of this episode... it gave me a grim feeling I once had before...

Either way I can't be entirely mad on how this spinoff as a whole did because it did fairly well to adapt its manga counter part which didn't have that much flair to begin with but I also know this studio could of done something better to make it just as interesting. I wasn't always looking forward to the next episode but again I read the manga so I'll leave it at 6/10

A good thing that came out of this is that the spinoff got more chapters translated when this aired and maybe just maybe the original series will see some progress as well

Heres hoping Kyoto Animation does a new Haruhi season or maybe a new light novel.
Akio-kunJul 18, 2015 9:00 PM
Jul 18, 2015 9:16 PM

Jan 2011
Best part was the endless8 wink.

Not a good series though.
Jul 18, 2015 10:07 PM

Oct 2014
"meh" ending, but i still like it.. xD

read from right to left
Jul 18, 2015 10:33 PM

Dec 2009
That endless eight troll front to back lol. Especially after credits.

I find it funny because of all of the QQ-ing people give around endless eight, when it was actually one of the most intellectual aspects of the series. Bit hard to take in, but every episode was animated separately, and the intention was to drill in the immense sympathy and understanding for Nagato. Endless eight was all about Yuki. I always watch them all whenever i rewatch haruhi.

Although this doesn't compare at all to the care that went into the original, this was still thoroughly enjoyable as a fluffy light show with familiar characters. imo ryoko was scarier in this series than the original, at least for the first half of the series, mainly because she was so out of character, like she was up to something secretly. I got lots of good laughs and enjoyed the clever comedic use of things from the original to mess with you.

ps: this isn't the first spinoff by a longshot.
GenesisAriaJul 18, 2015 10:39 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jul 18, 2015 11:12 PM
Jun 2015
What a disappointing show.
Jul 18, 2015 11:13 PM

Apr 2015
Kyon-Kun Denwa~ xD
Did you hear haruhi hum Bouken Desho Desho "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu OP" ?
whatever that show is so Good and not bad like the most of you are saying i give 8/10
Jul 19, 2015 12:40 AM

Sep 2012
This episode actually hurt the series for me.
I was enjoying this version of Haruhi, as I enjoy these
kind of romance, slice of life shows.
However, after watching Kyon waffle about his feelings for 90% of the episode, he instead "confesses" to the other Yuki
when the fireworks are too loud for the real Yuki to hear it.
F*ck you, anime!
Way to cut the balls off Kyon.
What good is building this romance only to end with the status quo unchanged?
That's a lame story!
Either have Kyon confess properly to both versions of Yuki, or give me some surprise with Yuki actually cutting him off
and finding the guts to confess instead.
That would have been good.
Then there were those few scenes teasing Haruhi actually having feelings for Kyon, and last episode, out of nowhere,
teasing she actually met Kyon a long time ago, but did nothing with that either.
Give me a proper ending instead of this "let's hope for a second season so we can milk it more" nonsense.
Just because you gave a nod to Infinite Eight with that post end theme scene doesn't make it right.
I see you sitting over there, OVA to be bundled with the DVDs.
I know you're going to give me the proper ending, or at least something, but that's already too late.

Anyone else tired of the "bonus" episode true endings?
Jul 19, 2015 1:23 AM
Oct 2013
Haruhi hum'd the original OP, Itsumo no Fuukei was finally played, and I love the endless eight references !
Jul 19, 2015 2:36 AM

Jan 2013
Kyon-kun denwa, Itsumo no Fuukei... it almost seemed like a regular episode of the main series.

I thought that this would adapt everything from the manga, but apparently the manga is still on-going, so maybe there will be a second season (I hope Sasaki appears, since we probably will never get to see her in a 3rd season...)
Jul 19, 2015 5:19 AM

May 2012
Nice, 7/10. Though I was expecting a more better ending. Still, that endless eight feeling...lol.
Jul 19, 2015 7:10 AM

Feb 2014
That endless eight references in the episode were strong, especially with Kyon and his homework again. >_<

Still, it was a good spin-off. What it lacked in story and certain character development at times was made up with a charmful soundtrack, good art & animation, the characters themselves and the humour.

7/10.
Jul 19, 2015 7:46 AM

Sep 2014
Meh, shite ending to a worse than average Anime. 4/10, wasted my time. :/
Jul 19, 2015 8:27 AM

Mar 2010
This would have been a solid episode but an awful finale. It concluded nothing. If they really wanted to go this path, they should have merged this episode and the one Yuuki returns to her usual self and make that a finale. This was the same thing as if they served you a chocolate cake and then ripped it out of your mouth as you were chewing. 7/10 for the anime without finale, 6/10 for the anime with finale. Because this is exactly how you don't finale.
Jul 19, 2015 9:36 AM

Mar 2015
Damn, so much salt in here I can't even... Why did you people not drop this show if you weren't enjoying it? What was even the point of watching it till now then...
Jul 19, 2015 12:19 PM

Aug 2012
Am I the only one that actually Likes this Nagato? I still don't understand why people watch this expecting it to be like the original Haruhi show, and then complain when it's not.
Jul 19, 2015 3:01 PM

Aug 2009
Good series, though the end could have been better. Maybe OVA will be more satisfying.

As for the series: The beginning with the heavy rom-com-elements were nice, the serious part with the other Nagato was interesting, the end was kind of a mixture of both and wasn't that good, but it was ok. Overall I enjoyed the series and the character design fit well. People who complained about it are just too narrow-minded :-P (read: kyoani-fags)
Jul 19, 2015 3:23 PM

Apr 2015
Th3D0ctor said:
Am I the only one that actually Likes this Nagato? I still don't understand why people watch this expecting it to be like the original Haruhi show, and then complain when it's not.

I like main series Yuki more, but thanks to The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, this Yuki makes me feel things. (That's good by the way)
Jul 19, 2015 3:58 PM
Aug 2013
6/10, exactly what I was expecting from the manga, an okay slice of life with typical slice of life traits, but with quirky references to the main series that make it more fun than average.

And frankly, I can even see myself liking this mediocre slice of life shit over the garbage that I think Yuutsu was, who I'd be generous to give 5/10 to when looking at it collectively. At least this shit was readily simple and humble, and actually managed to finish one single plot-point in its Disappearance arc, which is more than I can say for the original, whose bloated plot-points amounted to frankly nothing by itself, and only served as a base for Nagato and kyon's arcs in the later movie. I will never forget how utterly pretentious and wrapped-up in itself Yuutsu tended to be, especially with Endless Eight.

At the very least, this garbage knows its garbage, and I can respect that. Meanwhile, I can't think of a stupider or more ridiculous method of telling a story than Endless Eight. At least the disapperance episodes here had a tight storyline.

PS:

To the interested, the ending of the anime is at about chapter 38 of the manga, so if one wishes to know how this story continues, they need only read onwards from there. Currently there's one lone person translating the manga, but he's doing so at an incredible pace. I would suggest that people support him for his work, regardless of if you like the Nagato manga, purely for the strength of his zeal in completing it.
WolfeysteinJul 19, 2015 4:02 PM
Jul 19, 2015 5:44 PM
May 2013
kamijoan said:
After that, Haruhi wrote a novel where there were aliens, secret ognarizations and people from the future.... where she was a god and the main heorine was her.....

This anime might have just said that the other stuff is all made up by haruhi :v

Exactly what I thought, kinda made me sad thinking that that was the truth behind the main story...

As a huge franchise fan, I forced myself into watching this, since I was never a particular fan of the Nagato x Kyon ship (KYON X HARUHI = OTP), and I kinda feel like I wasted my time, because this show didnt really have anything special imo, only a few humorous moments here and there, and all the references.
sesedelaghettoJun 21, 2020 7:15 PM
Jul 19, 2015 9:19 PM

Jan 2012
they played it too safe.

SAFE! out of 10.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jul 19, 2015 9:57 PM

Jun 2009
rather watch the whole s2 with all eps of endless 8 again than this spin-off, if I know this anime gonna be a crap.
Jul 19, 2015 11:05 PM
Apr 2015
MysticJhn said:
This episode actually hurt the series for me.
I was enjoying this version of Haruhi, as I enjoy these
kind of romance, slice of life shows.
However, after watching Kyon waffle about his feelings for 90% of the episode, he instead "confesses" to the other Yuki
when the fireworks are too loud for the real Yuki to hear it.
F*ck you, anime!
Way to cut the balls off Kyon.
What good is building this romance only to end with the status quo unchanged?
That's a lame story!

This is how it happened in the manga. And manga hasn't ended, i.e. this is not the ending of the story.

HikaruIzumi said:
This would have been a solid episode but an awful finale. It concluded nothing. If they really wanted to go this path, they should have merged this episode and the one Yuuki returns to her usual self and make that a finale. This was the same thing as if they served you a chocolate cake and then ripped it out of your mouth as you were chewing. 7/10 for the anime without finale, 6/10 for the anime with finale. Because this is exactly how you don't finale.

That would have deviated from the source material.

Not really surprised with all the salts come out for the finale. This show was never going to measure up to the original, nor did it pretend to be. Anyone who holds such expectation is simply being unrealistic.

This show is what it is, a spin-off that pays homages to the original for the fans to see what it could be like in the world constructed by Yuki. While some of the characterizations are off, remember they are from the vintage point of Yuki-chan, and she doesn't see everything. For the last couple episodes we start to switch viewpoint to Kyon, and while Kyon isn't quite witty as in the original, it starts to give more of the original's atmosphere. And anyone who is annoyed by the original Haruhi should find this version of Haruhi more easily to accept, while Haruhi fans can still enjoy the most genki girl in anime.

Yuki-chan is of course not a strong character, this is however typical in shows where character growth is part of the story, we just don't get to see more of it as the story is still continuing. You can find more of that in the manga or wait for S2. And Asakura... she really got redeemed in this universe. I kept on expecting her to pull a knife any time.

Satelight actually did a great job adapting the source material. The style while different really isn't bad, even comparing to the original. The Disappearance arc is very good in the manga and is gold in the anime. That arc alone should have bumped a couple points for most people. The ending isn't as strong as if they just ended with Disappearance, but since they want to close with the confession, we fans get more homages. Haruhi humming Bouken Desho Desho just nails it, and of course who can forget Kyon-kun Denwa?

If there is a S2, it will be a while from now, since there isn't enough material and contains references not shown in the original, so Haruhi S3 might have to come first - we can all hope.

7.5/10.
Jul 19, 2015 11:56 PM

Jan 2011
6/10 because like 90% of this was watching "boring" Nagato be boring nostalgia wasn't enough for me to give this any higher.

endless 8 ....oh the horrors
Jul 20, 2015 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
It was boring most of the time, the only good parts were when Yuki disappeared and the old one came. Granted the summer festival had some funny moments but overall the series is just boring :/
Jul 20, 2015 3:39 PM

Sep 2012
boukendesho said:
This is how it happened in the manga. And manga hasn't ended, i.e. this is not the ending of the story.

I don't watch anime just to read manga.
I want to see a complete anime.

I miss anime having complete, final endings.
This is a fairly standard, cut and dry, slice of life romantic comedy.
It's not that hard, it doesn't have such an intricate story.
It had, what, 3 episodes of weirdness involving another Yuki?
So what?
There is nothing to this plot that really needs a season two.
I like romantic comedy anime, but the whole point to watching them is to finally reach that conclusion where they get together at the end.
Or don't.
Either way, it's a single season affair.
It's not Dragonball where you can have endless adventures, it's not Detective Conan where there's an intricate conspiracy and plot to work with.
Heck, it's not even InuYasha where there's at least material to stretch it out despite the fact the romance could have been settled in a season or two.
It's a standard romcom.

You can still have a second season, there's material to work with when you involve Haruhi's apparent feelings for Kyon she can't admit to, but you need a proper ending to season 1, and them getting together would be a great point.
Hell, you could see Haruhi's reaction when they returned, and that's because I'm sure she expected them to be together or Kyon actually confessed.
There's your second season drama.
Kyon continuing to waffle about his feelings for Yuki for another 16 episodes or 13 episodes or whatever next season is just lousy character development.

It's maintaining the status quo just for the sake of extending the story.
It's easier to keep writing the same thing than it is to advance the plot and have to do something new with it.
It's lazy.
We will watch the sequel anyway, so make some effort.
I don't care about the manga being unfinished, it's only being made to push the anime anyway.
Any half-decent anime writer could finish the story without it.

This is why a lot of people, myself included, still wax nostalgic about Cowboy Bebop.
It was a great story, complete story, and didn't sit on it's arse waiting for a never-ending manga because it didn't have one.
Something like this fairly cut and dried romcom with a slight Haruhi twist doesn't need manga to tell it what to do.
Jul 20, 2015 6:24 PM

Apr 2015
MysticJhn said:
boukendesho said:

But most anime don't even cover the whole story to begin with.
Jul 20, 2015 7:15 PM

Jan 2008
Wtf? It's over!? Really bizarre that it ends at episode 16. Normally seasons last 13 or 26, which is why for sure I thought they'd go all the way to 26 since we're past 13. Oh well. Now I can only hope for a long-past due continuation of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi novel adaptions (minus that Endless Eight bullshit they pulled in season 2).
Jul 20, 2015 8:01 PM

Apr 2015
4kicks said:
Wtf? It's over!? Really bizarre that it ends at episode 16. Normally seasons last 13 or 26, which is why for sure I thought they'd go all the way to 26 since we're past 13. Oh well. Now I can only hope for a long-past due continuation of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi novel adaptions (minus that Endless Eight bullshit they pulled in season 2).

Due to what happens next, I think Season 3 of the main series is more likely than a season 2 of this.
Jul 20, 2015 10:00 PM
May 2013
SmashTheOni said:
4kicks said:

Due to what happens next, I think Season 3 of the main series is more likely than a season 2 of this.

You're right. Season 3 of Haruhi Suzumiya is much more likely than season 2 of Nagato Yuki-chan due to what happens next. Personally, that makes me extremely happy. :D
Jul 21, 2015 8:03 AM

May 2010
Like everything else in this series 'it was okay'. Nothing special, but made me want to rewatch the original series, and FINALLY watch the movie. The best part about it was obviously, original Yuki <3 and a pretty good opening & ending, definitely I will keep listening to it on my pc. 6/10

Genix said:
IF anything, the worst thing is the Endless Eight reference at the end.

I haven't read the manga, but it was just a joke and a reference. Kyon was like 'it's weird' and 'it feels like I'm forgeting sth' but it turns out at the end that it wasn't about any loop, but he just forgot to do his homework, lol.

Well, at least that made me smirk a bit.
Jul 21, 2015 8:59 AM

Sep 2014
I did like this series, however, now that I look back on it, most of the parts I enjoyed were those that were related to the previous Haruhi anime.
As much as I tried to get used to, like and understand the "new" Yuki, she was definitely the weakest link in this series for me.

My favourite part was when alternate "original" Yuki appeared.
Some scenes in this series I found were quite funny, most of which featured Koizumi.

Overall, I would only recommend this series to those who greatly enjoyed the previous Haruhi Suzumiya anime.
My prior attachment to the characters was what made me enjoy it. It is a spin-off, after all, and it definitely felt like one.
Mirai, zura~!
Jul 21, 2015 10:57 AM

May 2012
SmashTheOni said:
Hopefully this is indeed the case, since there isn't much good stuff from KyoAni for ages.
Jul 21, 2015 1:17 PM

Jun 2013
Average at best...
This anime thoroughly wasted my time.

5/10 because I'm generous
Jul 22, 2015 9:32 AM
Apr 2015
MysticJhn said:
boukendesho said:

Eh... in that case you should only watch anime originals.

That's not how anime adaptations work.
Jul 22, 2015 11:22 AM

Mar 2014
What a bullshit ending

4/10 Haruhi S3 and Snow Mountain Syndrome when?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 22, 2015 7:05 PM

Oct 2011
Dat ending
Jul 22, 2015 7:17 PM

Apr 2014
holy fuck, there were like 2 good episodes throughout the whole thing .-.
good lord
Jul 22, 2015 8:36 PM

May 2012
OH SNAP It's happening all over again, Endless Eight! Kyon-kun denwa~

To be honest that sure was a touch of nostalgia to the second season of Haruhi, good it didn't actually repeat itself :v However I must say that this last episode for a final was a bit easygoing, and rather weaker than I expected.

It was still nice as an ending but I expected something else I think? I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest.

All in all this anime sure was a fun watch, it brought back some really pleasant memories of the first two Haruhi seasons especially around the 10th episode when the atmosphere changed all the sudden! Still I must say that I quite liked it and it was fun to see all the characters again!
Jul 23, 2015 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
That fucking ending.
THAT FUCKING ENDING.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Oh god who are you people?
Jul 24, 2015 12:43 PM

Jan 2012
Well..... That was boring and anticlimactic.... I liked the usage of the old bgm from original Haruhi season at least. Overall I just feel like the comedy throughout the whole anime was very dull. There was 3 good episodes , and it's the episodes that didn't try to bring in the comedy that were actually good.... I just feel like the directing is to blame.

Yea the art style sucks , yea the characters have different personalities and act differently , both of those I can live with as it's an alternative universe. However the bad comedy is honestly the thing that made this series less and less enjoyable. The original Haruhi series had impact with it's comedy and was actually funny.... This however was extremely boring for me.

4/10 From me. I'll rather go read the source material and see how I find that as I genuinely like Nagato as a character.
Jul 24, 2015 5:57 PM

Feb 2013
Ah, that was great. And that endless eight reference at the end lol!!!!

8/10

Possibly even a 9/10. I just really liked it....I don't even care.
Jul 24, 2015 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
6/10 at best

HawkEye6591 said:

LOLOLOL
Jul 24, 2015 10:35 PM

Mar 2014
Good thing they didnt do that stupid endless eight public pool event, most wasted episodes in an anime in my life

well if they had to make the ending it should be the when Nagato other self disappeared and returned that would make the title of the anime have sense
Jul 26, 2015 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
Liked that endless eight references. Made me remember the madness and the feeling of going insane.

Overall the show was meh. Had its moments and not only in the Disappearance-arc, but that non-confession end showed again how toothless it was. Had fun seeing the characters again, most of them more or less the same personality-wise, but I never cared for Nagato that much (KyonxHaruhi for me) so I can only wait further on for a legit season 3 by KyoAni
Jul 26, 2015 4:06 PM

Sep 2013
Fuck this Kyon. I don't know this wishy-washy wimpy MC. Whoever wanted a Yuki-kyon pairing would also feel awkward seeing their whole forced interactions.

Despite kyon being only interested as friends with yuki, he suddenly began to love yuki when she confessed??? Wtf
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

90 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 15, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

357 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Jan 31, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2015

140 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Nov 18, 2023 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.