Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »
Jul 17, 2015 9:24 PM

Sep 2014
VarunaBles said:
mayukachan said:
It felt like watching a video game cut scene.

That's only natural, this is an adaptation of a video game after all. They might want to make it look like that, I dunno.
pretty sure that's what they were going for artistically.
Jul 17, 2015 9:43 PM

Aug 2010
zero-r said:
Z4k said:
Also what's up with those slow motion and glitch effects lol?

Slow-mo effects are fine, if done in moderation (especially for action sequences). No every single step/maneuver and bullet/blow dodge needs to use it though. There are some scenes in the series were slow-mo wasn’t really necessary.

In my opinion, those types of “glitches” effects work better for horror-psychological series. Yes, it’s a cool effect, but I’m not sure why they are using them in here the way they are.

They're keeping a tradition of every GE opening. All of them were done by ufo, and they used these kinds of effects.
They're pretty awesome IMO, you can watch them on YouTube .

I realize that what works for an OP doesn't necessarily works for an anime, but it's used mainly for the series's distinct style, not to enhance the scenes or anything like that.
Jul 17, 2015 10:15 PM

Jul 2012
Maloghurst said:
VarunaBles said:

That's only natural, this is an adaptation of a video game after all. They might want to make it look like that, I dunno.

Doesn't work very well as an anime.
Jul 17, 2015 10:52 PM

Aug 2010
mayukachan said:
Maloghurst said:

Why is that? It's unique, and it looks gorgeous from a technical stand point.
Jul 17, 2015 11:23 PM

May 2015
I thought almost EVERY person here didn't used to the art style, so am I. I don't think it's very bad though, it could be worse...

I'll watch the rest of it and decide if ufotable is actually "trolling" us this time...
Jul 18, 2015 2:27 AM

Sep 2010
Generic as fuck MC... 3DCG ruined characters... But environment details are top notch... Somewhat interesting plot...

2.5/5
Jul 18, 2015 3:56 AM
May 2015
Drake1000 said:
Meh, a SNK clone with monsters instead of titans, nothing really stands out.
The God Eater game came out before SnK.
Jul 18, 2015 5:04 AM

Dec 2010
Awesome shit right there, this season won't let me down after all.
Jul 18, 2015 1:24 PM

Nov 2010
I like it's animation style and introduction story
Ofcourse it's not an original setting having watched Attack on Titans, Seraph's end or any other walled in enviroment
Jul 18, 2015 2:52 PM

Mar 2014
The art and animation are amazing. The CG is top tier ( compared to other anime using CG ). The story and characters... Well i won't judge yet, since it's only episode 1. It could go right or it could go wrong. The art is really good, it's original and is great quality wise ( As expected of Ufotable ). I've never played God Eater but from what i've heard it's kinda like Monster Hunter ? Monster Hunter pretty much has no story so let's see what kind of story God Eater has. I have expectations for this anime ( Because Ufotable, nuff said. ) but not as much as i had when i first heard of it ( Also because Ufotable ).

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Jul 18, 2015 3:00 PM

Mar 2014
salmon3669 said:
Geez. Out of all the bad things the artstyle was bad? You'll get used to it. Definitely not the worst.
Harem_King said:
Is this supposed to be ufotables next big thing

This was supposed to succeed the fate series

Wtf is this trash I can't stand that cg
yeah, that's not really cgi.

Definitely not the worst ? It's actually one of the best art in any anime ever. The quality of that art is top tier. Now wheter some people like it or not it's their opinion, but one can't deny the quality of it. And yeah, like you said, most of it isn't CG. And the CG is some of the best in all of anime.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Jul 18, 2015 4:04 PM

Feb 2013
Actually, first episode was pretty bad, I dont know if its because I havent played the games but I didnt understand much about what was going on other than the mc wanting to destroy them all. The action wasnt even that good.

Jul 18, 2015 5:28 PM

Oct 2008
This should be good since its ufotable.
though the art is wierd. not the background (background art is cool) but character art seems like different from what usual anime is used to be.
The plot seems nothing interesting. Let's see.
4/5.

Jul 19, 2015 1:34 AM

Feb 2015
People giving Ufotable too much credit based on past shows like Fate. regardless of art style it just seems like another hack and slash show with a paper thin story. Will give this another week to improve.
Jul 19, 2015 1:48 AM

Feb 2012
TheKawaiiZombie said:
I've never played God Eater but from what i've heard it's kinda like Monster Hunter ? Monster Hunter pretty much has no story so let's see what kind of story God Eater has. I have expectations for this anime ( Because Ufotable, nuff said. ) but not as much as i had when i first heard of it ( Also because Ufotable ).

Although the way it's played is really similar to MH, God Eater has a story that's for sure.

set made by tsudecimo ★ i m a d g m t r a s h ★ pnch blc mal rewrite

Jul 19, 2015 3:59 AM

Jun 2011
Not bad. Not that good either.
Or maybe my expectations were a little too high...?

I'm not used to the art style/3dcg but it was ok. I loved the environment design.
Jul 19, 2015 11:04 AM

Jul 2012
astroprogs said:
mayukachan said:

The colouring is horrendous, like how "sanzoku no musume ronja" does it. It's very flawed.
There are other shows that do it well and are unique, like Knights of Sidonia, Aku no Hana and Blame but still can be interesting and coherent.
Jul 19, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2014
mayukachan said:
astroprogs said:

The colouring is horrendous, like how "sanzoku no musume ronja" does it. It's very flawed.
There are other shows that do it well and are unique, like Knights of Sidonia, Aku no Hana and Blame but still can be interesting and coherent.

I thought Sidonia looks SHIT thats why I did not enjoy it as much especially the human characters looks wierd and out of place
Jul 19, 2015 2:40 PM
Mar 2014
The art style is quite unique, will take some time to get used to it, but it is not bad i like it.

The anime is so BA damn realy good fight scenes, i don't like the MC that much as he seems to be a cliché one, but that might change, i like the other characters so far.

Those boobs tho.
Jul 19, 2015 2:42 PM

Jul 2012
royaldocks said:
mayukachan said:

I thought Sidonia looks SHIT thats why I did not enjoy it as much especially the human characters looks wierd and out of place

It matches the original manga style and makes it even better looking.

But I do agree the humans in the anime look odd.
Jul 19, 2015 7:24 PM
Aug 2012
The character design are very distracting. If ufotable wanted to design them differently, at least don't fucking have a self-proclaimed modern abstract artist paint every single frame the characters are in. I can't complain on the scenery and the backgrounds as they are standard ufotable. As for CG, it's fucking CG - and I don't like CG all too much.

Very disappointed, and to be honest, I just don't find it at all interesting as I can easily pick out a few things that are quite similar to other series and anime such as we've already mentioned numerous times: Attack on Titan and Monster Hunter. I've already seen something similar, I don't need another copy by an abstract artist claiming his shitty water paintings of people are top notch.

I have not played the games or read its original work or whatever, but since its produced by the people who made Fate/Zero I'm sad as shit.
Jul 21, 2015 4:25 AM
Nov 2009
As someone who played the games, the anime...is rather lacking. The first episode feels average.
Jul 21, 2015 7:00 AM

Jun 2014
i don't really find the art style that disturbing or anything but wow i was kind of surprised by how boring and dull the first episode was. i got so bored i almost fell asleep. (shame because i had huge expectations before watching this show lol)

i think i'll watch the next episodes tho in hopes that it'll get more and more interesting.
mongrel
Jul 21, 2015 7:52 AM

Nov 2013
mayukachan said:
royaldocks said:

It matches the original manga style and makes it even better looking.

But I do agree the humans in the anime look odd.

I liked both SnK's animation and this. In fact I love this; it fits the gritty atmosphere, just like SnK's CG animation fitted the sci-fi scene. To be honest after Ping Pong, there is no animation style that can get to me anymore. Apart from old anime. Can't watch that for long.
Jul 21, 2015 9:40 AM

Aug 2013
This artstyle and animation is one of the best I've seen recently. The combination of those shades and highlights makes the atmosphere look serious.

The story is somewhere above average and interesting enough to watch it further.
Also the 1e unite looked badass when they fight.

8,5/10 for me.
Jul 23, 2015 4:38 PM

Jan 2011
The direction is pretty damn hipster, all sorts of things I don't ususally see in anime.
Art feels a bit awkward though, guess I just don't like CGI.
Despite the main plot feeling generic it looks pretty serious and tryhard, wonder how this'll turn out.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 23, 2015 7:11 PM

Feb 2013
I'm disappointed. The OVA was better.

I see now why it was so boring: ufotable
A complete failure at building any kind of suspense or intensity.
Maybe it will get better when best-girl arrives. (I have my doubts though.)
Jul 24, 2015 8:25 AM

Nov 2014
BurntJelly said:
I'm disappointed. The OVA was better.

I see now why it was so boring: ufotable
A complete failure at building any kind of suspense or intensity.
Maybe it will get better when best-girl arrives. (I have my doubts though.)

Ufotable did a good job at building suspense in Kara no kyoukai a lot . This God eater is really just a shitty source material if episode 3 sucks this should be forgotten along with Gyo. UBW lacks intensity too but at least its pretty colors .
Jul 24, 2015 5:25 PM
Oct 2013
royaldocks said:
Ufotable did a good job at building suspense in Kara no kyoukai a lot . This God eater is really just a shitty source material if episode 3 sucks this should be forgotten along with Gyo. UBW lacks intensity too but at least its pretty colors .

I'm 99% sure you have no idea what "source material" means.
Jul 24, 2015 6:51 PM

Jul 2015
Shitty characters, meh story, overall a very cringyworthy experience, would definitely enjoy this as a young teenager listening to linking park.
Jul 24, 2015 7:31 PM

Dec 2014
This shit is terrible. Ufotable and Madhouse produced the worst animes this season. Both studios are so vastly overrated.

God Eater and Overlord both suck ass.
Jul 24, 2015 7:40 PM

May 2012
KuroYaksha said:
This shit is terrible. Ufotable and Madhouse produced the worst animes this season. Both studios are so vastly overrated.

Overrated: Buzzword used by people when they can't accept the fact that people have different opinions than theirs.
Jul 24, 2015 8:16 PM

Jul 2015
I haven't even heard of the video game that this is based on, let alone played it, but since this is a new show that MAL has featured on the homepage for their new ability to stream, I figured I'd check it out.

My first impression was that the artwork looked a little wonky, and maybe that's because it's CG. It's not bad, really, just different I guess. I've not seen a lot of anime, to tell the truth, but I've seen enough to notice different art styles. This is just a different style, not better or worse, but not really what I prefer either.

As for the story, I felt thrown in the mix of things without knowing what the heck is going on. That could be because I have no history with the game, or perhaps it's done intentionally and the backstory is yet to come. Either way, I did enjoy what I saw, and would like to continue watching.

The 1st Squad was awesome to say the least, and I look forward to seeing Lenka's skill and abilities develop. Good start. -- 4/5
Jul 24, 2015 8:19 PM

Apr 2015
ExemplarX said:
My first impression was that the artwork looked a little wonky, and maybe that's because it's CG.

It's not CG, though. That's only the monsters.
Jul 24, 2015 8:21 PM

Jul 2015
Tylaen said:
It's not CG, though. That's only the monsters.

Oh ok, I didn't think so originally, but I must have misread other comments in this thread. My fault. (EDIT: Second post in thread, for example)
Jul 25, 2015 3:24 AM

Mar 2010
Paulo27 said:
royaldocks said:
We AOT now ?
Does this look like the best anime ever for you? No? I thought so.

no it definitely doesnt look like clannad.
Jul 25, 2015 4:02 AM
Oct 2007
waterflame said:
This isn't CG, that's just how the character designs are.

if that is so, it's horrible no way to talk me into liking this type of CG artwork.
the story looks a bit too fast paced, unsure about what will happen, still only seen 1 episode but dont have high hopes for this one.
Jul 25, 2015 6:01 AM

Jun 2015
Loved the OST... artstyle will need time to get used to. Loved the game so was looking forward to this. Decent start i guess...

Jul 25, 2015 10:19 AM

Dec 2014
KamiCity said:
KuroYaksha said:

Overrated: Buzzword used by people when they can't accept the fact that people have different opinions than theirs.

They're boring anime. Stop trying to deny it.
Jul 25, 2015 7:04 PM

Feb 2015
Wow, not a very good first episode at all in my opinion. Hopefully it'll get better.
Jul 27, 2015 3:27 PM

Apr 2015
Can anyone tell me please which is name of the song that plays when Lenka runs out of the base ? . i got really hype in that moment :)
Jul 28, 2015 6:37 AM

Nov 2014
Blankbite said:
royaldocks said:

I'm 99% sure you have no idea what "source material" means.

Source material = original / where it came from

I think its you who dont know what it means bruh
Jul 28, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2009
Dropped already, the best thing in the whole episode was the songs...the CG was bad.
Jul 29, 2015 5:22 AM

Feb 2010
My problem with this show has nothing to do with the art... The plot just wasn't executed properly and because of poor pacing and bad characterization, I honestly don't give a shit what happens.

I might watch another episode, but probably not.
Jul 29, 2015 5:53 AM

Jul 2008
Good episode but not awesome, could have been better but yeah :D I still enjoyed it :)
Jul 30, 2015 11:57 PM
Jul 2015
Anyone here know who sing those music during the fights ? is similar Fear, and loathing in las vegas. with the Auto-Tune but this 1 is Awesome
Jul 31, 2015 9:28 PM

May 2008
This anime is being criticized so much for it's art and noobs are mistaking it for CG when it's not (and doesn't look even close to it), but I thought the art was amazing. I couldn't get enough of this art style. I like that this has the unique look that it does. It's probably one of it's biggest draws for me and we're only one episode in but I can already say I'll probably enjoy the ride this series has to offer more so than any of the others I picked up for Summer 2015. Could end up being AotS for me (not like anything else has really stood out in this mediocre season anyhow). I'm not really liking the MC nor how cliche he seems to be, but I do hope we get more focus on Soma. Soma seems like a character that could make any show better.
Aug 8, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2009
Hmm that was ... interesting. Art style is different but not necessarily bad I think. Some good music in there too - OP fits super well. Seems somewhat like Attack on Titan with them being attacked and defending the walls and stuff. Though it seems like our MC is a "New Type" ... so his weapon can transform? :O Well the 1st unit seems really cool at least. Oh and Kouta (I think that's his name?) - ah his voice ... Fukube from Hyouka I believe :O Renka seems like the reckless dumb kind of hero ... who always has to save people :P I wonder about those scientists with the "new energy" and "Oracle cell" or whatever ... seems like they had a hand in this or something. Oh well, my friend said this show is really good, so I'll give it a shot~
Aug 9, 2015 1:32 PM
Apr 2015
Don't know anything about the source material at all, but the first half of the episode blows by way too fast - the stage is poorly set. The pacing becomes better when Aragamis breaches the wall.

Background/atmosphere is great per usual ufotable excellence. The character art style takes some getting used to, the biggest problem being that the lines are unsteady - sometimes they exist, other times they disappear, and often switches during animation. If this gets fixed it won't be as choppy. Action animation is great otherwise.

My expectation was definitely heightened with this being made by ufotable - even more so when I heard they had the F/Z team working on this title. My let down comes from the story and the line work above.

Hopefully the story telling will get better. Great artwork don't make up for a poorly told story.
Aug 13, 2015 10:17 PM
Aug 2015
Whats the name of the song in the 4th episode
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »

More topics from this board

» Is this like the worst anime OST ever?

Kayle_x_Morgana - Apr 4, 2022

8 by RudeRedis »»
Mar 2, 7:39 AM

Poll: » God Eater Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2016

255 by Suopi »»
Feb 21, 9:37 AM

» Is it good?

Bijou146 - Jan 18

15 by HenryLeo123 »»
Jan 19, 11:51 AM

Poll: » God Eater Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

262 by Tropisch »»
Jan 4, 7:30 PM

Poll: » God Eater Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2016

143 by Nikmomo93 »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.