Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]
Jan 3, 2017 10:20 PM

Jul 2010
SuprisedKurisu said:
I think watching/liking mostly mainstream stuff is great because it seems more fun than being elitist.

You should do it like me and keep it mixed
Jan 4, 2017 1:20 AM
Aug 2016
NoobAsian said:
Pyravia said:
Some of them are also underrated! ^-^

Umm, if it's popular, it's not exactly underrated...

RainyRai said:
Gurren Lagann is just a Kill la Kill ripoff

You may not like Gurren Lagann and that's fine, but how can Gurren Lagann be a rip off of Kill la Kill when Kill la Kill came out 6 years after? If you're gonna shitpost, at least make it less obvious.
Like wtf? @RainyRai @NoobAsian
Gurren Lagann aired 5 years before Kill la Kill! How is it a ripoff???
Jan 4, 2017 1:26 AM

Apr 2013
If I find it entertaining then yes, otherwise no.
Jan 4, 2017 1:34 AM
Aug 2016
astrozombie84 said:
Casual. How very idk.. Casual... 3:
Jan 4, 2017 2:22 AM

Apr 2015
Well One Thing To Say,They Are Popular For A Reason And For The Most Part They Are Enjoyable :)
Jan 4, 2017 2:38 AM

Apr 2010
I don't tend to like them for some reason. Though sometimes they're just too long

Jan 4, 2017 3:09 AM
Aug 2016
EfiChan said:
I don't tend to like them for some reason. Though sometimes they're just too long
Popular doesn't mean long, just saying.
Jan 4, 2017 4:00 AM

Apr 2010
Pyravia said:
EfiChan said:

That's why I said sometimes. Those which are short... Don't tend to interest me, I guess

Jan 4, 2017 4:12 AM
Aug 2016
EfiChan said:
Pyravia said:

That's why I said sometimes. Those which are short... Don't tend to interest me, I guess
What about Hunter x Hunter, for example?
Jan 4, 2017 4:17 AM

Nov 2014
Anime is anime. Number of fans or haters doesn't change my opinion about it. At best (worst?) I might watch something I normally wouldn't because it's popular and I want to be able to participate in discussions or understand context of some fanarts.
Jan 4, 2017 4:36 AM
Aug 2016
Terkhev said:
Anime is anime. Number of fans or haters doesn't change my opinion about it. At best (worst?) I might watch something I normally wouldn't because it's popular and I want to be able to participate in discussions or understand context of some fanarts.
Amazing! So incredibly neutral! :3 Seriously. ^-^ Originality.
Jan 4, 2017 4:43 AM

Mar 2016
I don't like some of them but for the people who liked them: Why not liking them?
Jan 4, 2017 4:48 AM
Aug 2016
Butterflymansion said:
I don't like some of them but for the people who liked them: Why not liking them?
I wish someone'd write a detailed message of what they think. :3
Jan 4, 2017 5:01 AM

Sep 2015
Most of the mainstream anime is just overrated like FMA Brotherhood i just like the first one better, but don't get be wrong some mainstream animes are also really good.
Jan 4, 2017 5:15 AM

Mar 2016
Pyravia said:
Butterflymansion said:

You got it!

Mainstream anime is mainstream for a reason, because people like it. I like some of them as well but sometimes people talk TOO MUCH about it or say it's perfect and stuff, then when i watch it, most of the time it falls short of expectations and i end up disliking them more because they were mainstream and overrated. HOWEVER, everybody can watch whatever they please, everyone can talk about how my favorite anime is overrated as well. It's fine, i won't judge them for that. Afterall everybody has their own opinion and stuff...
Jan 4, 2017 6:01 AM
Aug 2016
Butterflymansion said:
Pyravia said:

You got it!

Mainstream anime is mainstream for a reason, because people like it. I like some of them as well but sometimes people talk TOO MUCH about it or say it's perfect and stuff, then when i watch it, most of the time it falls short of expectations and i end up disliking them more because they were mainstream and overrated. HOWEVER, everybody can watch whatever they please, everyone can talk about how my favorite anime is overrated as well. It's fine, i won't judge them for that. Afterall everybody has their own opinion and stuff...
Yeah, but it isn't everyone who likes it... Actually, a lot of main stream show has a low rating.
Jan 4, 2017 7:32 AM

Jan 2016
It kind of depends for me tbh I have tried a few of them like SAO,Naruto,One Piece ect they didn't really stick with me except for Bleach Which is kind of funny since when I watched it I was very new to anime and didn't know their were things like mainstream and such.

But even knowing that now I still love it, and it's not like I don't like the other ones I tried alot of them out but I couldn't get into them like with Naruto I think it's harder for me to get into now since I used to watch it on YTV years ago when here in Canada we had Anime on tv for quite awhile (before I knew it was called anime) but going back to it now would be kind of hard for me imo

for One Piece at this point it would take forever to catch up with (especially since I buy all the anime's I watch on DVD)

ether than the big ones like Bleach,Naruto,One Piece, DB and I guessed hyped ones like SAO AOT I don't really know any others so I can't really say but for the most part I can say I like them I just can't invest the time in some of them.

(even though I've watched Bleach a good 10 times lol)

sorry for rambling on as well.

and I think if someone likes them who am I to judge everyone can choose what they enjoy as long as it's not hurting anyone :)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Jan 4, 2017 8:54 AM
May 2016
Well I thought I could add my grain of salt here :P

The problem I have with the japanime today isn't really the product themselves but the fanbase they target. On one hand you'll have the so-called elitists saying "otakus are shit blablabla, anime was a mistake blablabla" and on the other, these so-called otakus saying stuff like "I love Japan blablabla, I'm an otaku and proud of it ! blablabla". What's interesting to note is that for the "elistis" part, when it comes to anime like Gundam wich is a great serie but has obvisouly a lot of fan service with it, it's less likely that they would recognize it, in fact they would just be hypocrites. Talking about hypocrisy, in the "otaku sphere of influence", a fancy word to describe the otaku fanbase, there seems to be less and less difference between the otaku, the guy who has interior hobbies, and the weaboo, the guy who basically has no life outside of manga and animes, you can see that when it comes of japanime itself, due to the fact that most of the fanbase, generally speaking is young, they've never heard of the old school generation of animes and the worst part is that a lot of the time they won't bother trying to watch them for the sake of culture and education (Tezuka, Oshii, Matsumoto, etc...), I've even seen some people who would just reject the existence of old school animes out of pure ignorance. When it comes to japanese culture in a much larger sense and Japan in general, they have a very biased opinion due to marketing around mainstream animes and a continuation of clichés around Japan, at some point you could even talk of indoctrination. what I mean by "indoctrination" is that because the "eltitist" part of the community will have a more aggressive attitude towards the "otakus", those so-called otakus would adopt a more radical position and respond on the defensive, this would be feeded by the industry on a regular basis bringing more and more generic animes that are specifically targeting a niche hearing (Yaoi, Yuri, Nekketsu) wich would definitely watch them. In fact, we went from an authentic form of art, and even here I know this expression is very ambigous as Gundam existed since the mid 1980s, to a more consumer oriented market, in other words, we do not watch animes but rather consume them. Finally, in Japan the word otaku derived from a literal translation (interior hobby) to an insult, but the worst part of it I think is that in the western world, we like to manipulate the figurate meaning of the word into a more positive sense at first with the objective of giving a more positive perspective of the otaku but in reality it still fails to do that as it amplify more and more their radicalism.
LifeSword3Jan 4, 2017 8:58 AM
Jan 4, 2017 8:59 AM

Apr 2013
Pyravia said:
astrozombie84 said:

News flash all anime watchers are casual....there is no such thing as extreme anime watching.
Jan 4, 2017 9:18 AM
Aug 2016
astrozombie84 said:
Pyravia said:

News flash all anime watchers are casual....there is no such thing as extreme anime watching.
There might be. :3 There is. .3. Kay?
Jan 4, 2017 10:19 AM

Apr 2015
Every now and then the unintelligent masses will actually be able to identify that something actually is good.
But on average, the masses have minimal perception of any actually discernible quality.

And no, I'm not talking about MAL rankings and 'being angry because my favorite series isn't in the top 10'. I'm talking about casuals who have consumed less then 50 series, progress at a slow rate of media consumption, and have no interest in the actual politics and policies of the men/women and companies behind the anime. These are the masses I'm talking about.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 4, 2017 10:36 AM

Sep 2016
Not really. Just depends on your taste but it generally is alright
Jan 4, 2017 11:22 AM

May 2015
I often get triggered and tend to hate on mainstream shows because i can't help but thinking that there are less known shows who deserve the attention and success far more.
That said, there definitely are great shows that are very popular, although in my opinion most of them are not
Jan 4, 2017 11:46 AM
Aug 2016
GeneralHorus said:
I often get triggered and tend to hate on mainstream shows because i can't help but thinking that there are less known shows who deserve the attention and success far more.
That said, there definitely are great shows that are very popular, although in my opinion most of them are not
Like Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, or like Ayakashi (Sequel: Mononoke)
Jan 4, 2017 12:22 PM

Dec 2015
I'm never put off by the sheer fact that they're mainstream and like to watch some mainstreams regardless. They're basically like any other animes but just have huge publicity to back it up. Parastye the maxim is one of my all time favorite animes and that was acclaimed by the majority. Frankly, I couldn't careless if that anime was popular or not, it doesn't determine how well it does individually

However, most mainstreams follow genres that are not really to my preferences like Shounen, Fantasy, gaming, etc hence why I don't really search for animes through the mainstream ones.
Cinnamon_PrammaJan 4, 2017 12:26 PM
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 4, 2017 12:22 PM

Apr 2010
Pyravia said:
EfiChan said:

You're pretending to read always half of what I'm writing? I said they DON'T TEND TO INTEREST ME IN THE FIRST PLACE

Jan 4, 2017 12:30 PM

Feb 2016
I admit I had my doubts in the beginning about mainstream anime shows, especially the longer ones. But lately, I enjoy them very much. Last year I watched One Piece, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, D.Gray-man, Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist (Bleach is still on the waiting list) and I genuinely loved them all. I think some of them have lower average score than they would otherwise deserve. As far as the"short" mainstream anime are concerned, I like some of them and hate the others. However, I still give all of them a "fighting" change. Maybe some of you will find it weird, but I always watch an anime show through the end. (I hate dropping things unfinished). :)
Jan 4, 2017 12:31 PM
Aug 2016
EfiChan said:
Pyravia said:

You're pretending to read always half of what I'm writing? I said they DON'T TEND TO INTEREST ME IN THE FIRST PLACE
You got me, mate. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Genius.
Jan 4, 2017 12:35 PM
Aug 2014
They are not inherently terrible, but I've found far greater works away from the mainstream as well.
Jan 4, 2017 12:36 PM
Aug 2016
Konakana said:
They are not inherently terrible, but I've found far greater works away from the mainstream as well.
Like what? I'm curious, tell me. :3 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 4, 2017 12:38 PM
Aug 2014
Pyravia said:
Konakana said:

Pretty much anything that I've given a 7 or above that's not TTGL, FMAB or NGE, in which those three seem to be significantly more popular than everything else I've given a 7.
Jan 4, 2017 12:41 PM
Aug 2016
Konakana said:
Pyravia said:

Pretty much anything that I've given a 7 or above that's not TTGL, FMAB or NGE, in which those three seem to be significantly more popular than everything else I've given a 7.
You seem to rather shows rather poorly. 3.17.. Mine is only 6.98. :P
But that's good enough, I guess.
Jan 4, 2017 12:42 PM

Dec 2016
I usually end up liking them. Like Death Note, Shingeki no kyojin, Ghibli movies (are they mainstream?), Naruto, HxH, Kuroshitsuji....
Yuri on Ice became popular while I was watching it and I gotta say, it felt good. I had no idea it would become this popular D:

And I some times get really disappointed because I expected quite a bit from them. To me those are One Punch Man, Tokyo Ghoul, Owari no Seraph, SAO...

Right now I am trying to watch as much of MAL's top and popular anime. I still have yet to watch the famed FMAB.

Soo in short, I think mainstream anime have a reason for being so popular or they simply got overhyped. I mostly like them so I don't bash them or hipster hate them.
Jan 4, 2017 12:44 PM

Jul 2014
What I think about popular/mainstream anime? Their like any other anime some can be ass, while others can be great.
Jan 4, 2017 12:46 PM

Dec 2016
I think mainstream anime is slightly overhyped but it for sure doesn't deserve some of the harsh criticism it receives from some people. For the most part they're all enjoyable, I especially liked some shows 2016 had to offer, looking forward to 2017!
Jan 4, 2017 1:00 PM
Aug 2016
mattao313 said:
What I think about popular/mainstream anime? Their like any other anime some can be ass, while others can be great.
That's a strange perspective, imo, but it's legit, so it's cool.
Jan 4, 2017 1:46 PM

Dec 2016
I love mainstream anime. Have watched many and planning to keep watching many more.

What I truly despise about mainstream anime are how cancerous the fanbases of these shows are. It's so annoying to encounter a flame war among them about which show is best which show is not which is crappy which is not etc the whole freakin time everywhere yo go!
Jan 4, 2017 1:47 PM
Aug 2016
nry said:
I love mainstream anime. Have watched many and planning to keep watching many more.

What I truly despise about mainstream anime are how cancerous the fanbases of these shows are. It's so annoying to encounter a flame war among them about which show is best which show is not which is crappy which is not etc the whole freakin time everywhere yo go!
I agree on some degree :3 punnn... You have your own opinion, thank you. Original. ^-^
Jan 4, 2017 2:00 PM

Aug 2016
Imaishi said:
I think nothing of them. Popularity is not directly related to my tastes.
This is the way it should be. At the end of the day, whatever it's popular for, YOU are the judge of whether you like it.
Jan 4, 2017 2:56 PM
Aug 2016
ImNotHere said:
Imaishi said:
I think nothing of them. Popularity is not directly related to my tastes.
This is the way it should be. At the end of the day, whatever it's popular for, YOU are the judge of whether you like it.
Correct. Ten points. :3 10/9 for you, my non-binary, unknown friend. :3333
Jan 4, 2017 3:01 PM

Aug 2016
Pyravia said:
ImNotHere said:
Correct. Ten points. :3 10/9 for you, my non-binary, unknown friend. :3333

You are truly the shining asphalt among all the amorphous duckies in this market.
Jan 4, 2017 5:32 PM

Jan 2010
Merged Pyravia's thread "What are your thoughts on mainstream/popular anime?"

---

I don't dislike them, if that's the question. They're popular for a reason, and it's not like I want my favorite type of anime, or even specific titles at that, to be super popular. First, I don't think that would improve my feelings towards them. Second, it wouldn't guarantee continuations, or if they were continued, it wouldn't guarantee that they would be of equal or greater quality. Third, since they're not as well known, my favorites feel more personal to me, since I don't see too many people talking about them.

I respect the popular and mainstream stuff for what they are, and while in a perfect world they would be of even greater quality, worth of being discussed in the context of popular discourse amidst all forms of visual media and entertainment, I'm glad that they exist so we can have threads like this to talk about popular titles and how they may or may not represent the image of anime as a whole, and in turn, what they say about us as a whole.

Or I dunno, stuff like that.
Jan 13, 2017 2:36 PM
Jan 2017
Not every Mainstream Anime is bad, but lots of unknown Anime are good. And that is the one who annoying lots of Fans.
Jan 13, 2017 2:52 PM
Aug 2016
S
Senken-Sha said:
Not every Mainstream Anime is bad, but lots of unknown Anime are good. And that is the one who annoying lots of Fans.
Such as? I, for one, love Ayakashi and Mononoke.
Jan 13, 2017 3:01 PM
Jan 2017

I just meant that some Fans are unhappy that Anime like SAO or Tokyo Ghoul are mainstream but further good Anime like both of you mentioned so unknown.
Jan 13, 2017 6:58 PM

Jun 2014
Last night I was in a PSN party with some dude and he was so annoying! This guy is your typical mainstream hater who is actually casual and cringeworthy as all hell. The entire time he was bashing mainstream anime and anytime somebody would mention anything like Naruto or DBZ, he'd say:

"Oh god" or "fucking scrubs".

Then I spoke up and told him to shut his mouth and told the guy he hasn't even seen much and he got pissed!

Most mainstream haters I meet haven't seen much anime, period. I see it as a phase.
Jan 14, 2017 3:04 AM

Mar 2015
Senken-Sha said:

I just meant that some Fans are unhappy that Anime like SAO or Tokyo Ghoul are mainstream but further good Anime like both of you mentioned so unknown.

mononoke is adapted from popular clasic japanese horror play, from popular studio, worked by popular staff, aired in popular time slot.... mononoke by no means less popular than both you mentioned...

taste may differ, you can dislike whatever you want.... the problem when generalization and superiority come to tabble.... mainstream or not doesn't metter...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 14, 2017 3:11 AM
Sep 2015
Your a fucking idiot if you do that, Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's bad. You'd have to be retarded to think that anything mainstream is shit. Also I'm not confusing "mainstream" with "overhyped bullshit like Re:Zero and ERASED".
Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
3 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

67 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
4 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
10 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.