Forum Settings
Forums

Do you try to avoid Shoujo (as a guy)? Do you try to avoid Shonen (as a girl)?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Apr 17, 2016 12:32 AM

Apr 2010
As a whole, I don't mind which. Unless I see the R+ (I'm so annoyed to see this kind of amines as a girl)

Apr 17, 2016 12:35 AM

Jul 2010
Dear god no, shounen is definitely my most-loved demographic/genre.
Target audience means nothing!
Apr 17, 2016 12:38 AM

Jan 2016
I'm a girl and I don't try to avoid shounen.

In fact, I use to watch shounen more than shoujo xD
Apr 17, 2016 12:51 AM
Feb 2015
Woa Woa Woa I understand males avoiding Shoujo but females as well. Wow It's so sad to see so many females avoid Shoujo more then Shounen, now that answers my question on why there's less Shoujo anime. I remember between 2000-2008 a lot of Shoujo manga were receiving adaptions with 26 episodes long but now everything went downhill cause Shounen has taken over the world :/

That being said I avoid most of the Shounen unless it has a similar plot to Nanatsu no Taizai or Saint Seiya. Those are the only Shounen I fucken love and have on my favorites cause there amazing
Apr 17, 2016 1:12 AM
Jul 2018
I usually don't care what the genre of something is if it seems interesting enough to watch. Generic ecchiharem, stuff that bores / infuriates me, and childish crap are usually things I find myself dropping but besides that I'd say I can be more "open".
Apr 17, 2016 1:20 AM

Mar 2013
No in fact, please bring me more Shounen. (Though I prefer Seinen)
Apr 17, 2016 1:21 AM

May 2013
gender's fake, friend

also it never occurred to me that a significant portion of people would do this for Gender Reasons as opposed to just not being personally interested
Apr 17, 2016 1:23 AM

Sep 2013
No, I avoid bad stories. Both shounen and shoujos can give us good shows.
Apr 17, 2016 6:36 AM
Jul 2012
Used to absolutely avoid shoujo as a kid because I was sooooo insecure about my manliness and thought they were only some corny romances but after watching stuff that sounded very good/interesting regardless of target demographic(utena, escaflowne, tutu) I love them even the romances, though I only watch stuff that I'm sure to like. Also if a show is actually appealed for girls instead of dumb otakus its usually a sign to be much better, compare madoka to any other magical girl show, or nana to random shounen romances
Apr 17, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2015
I do not avoid either, I do not think "shoujo" or "shonen" are well defining labels, however sometimes a show is made to be a shonen or shoujo show, at that point you should run away!
Apr 17, 2016 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
I like both generally. But it'd be a lie if I said anywhere near as many shoujos/josei series as shounen/seinen ones. I just happen to avoid the mediocre shoujos, whilst i have a larger skew with shounen.
『パイル』| Twitter
Apr 17, 2016 10:41 AM

Aug 2013
I don't avoid either and generally like both types. I find it best to not constrict myself to a particular set. You'll find good works in both.
Apr 17, 2016 1:28 PM

Jul 2013
If the plot seems interesting, I will watch it no matter if it is a Shojo or a Shonen
Apr 17, 2016 1:37 PM
Feb 2016
Personally I don't give a damn about shoujo/shonen labels. If its a good story, its a good story.
Apr 17, 2016 1:46 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
An anime being tagged as Shonen or Shoujo doesn't affect my decision if I'm gonna watch it or not.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Apr 17, 2016 1:46 PM

Mar 2016
I dun really curr

If I hear it's good, I'll give it a try.
Apr 17, 2016 4:11 PM

Nov 2008
-Janet said:
Woa Woa Woa I understand males avoiding Shoujo but females as well. Wow It's so sad to see so many females avoid Shoujo more then Shounen, now that answers my question on why there's less Shoujo anime. I remember between 2000-2008 a lot of Shoujo manga were receiving adaptions with 26 episodes long but now everything went downhill cause Shounen has taken over the world :/

I KNOW RIGHT.

We need to do something to fix this horrible problem. D: Shoujo for life ♥

Apr 17, 2016 9:21 PM

Jul 2014
I don't have a problem with shoujo as a male, but shounen tends to be insultingly dumb for me.

And by shounen, I refer to shows that have shounen tropes, like Shokugeki no Souma, not the "it's shounen becuz it was in a shounen magazine hurr durr"
Apr 17, 2016 9:26 PM

Feb 2016
I try to avoid shoujo as a male but also I've seen some. It's not like the genre matters that much but many shoujo type of stories don't seem to get me
This is my signature
Apr 17, 2016 9:44 PM

Nov 2008
Red_Tuesday said:
shounen tends to be insultingly dumb for me.

"This is my super awesome, impossible to defeat attack, so let me explain to you, GUY WHO WANTS TO KILL ME, exactly how it f*cking works"? XD

you know who DOESN'T do that? Magical girls. You know what demographic has the most magical girls? Shoujo.

Apr 17, 2016 9:46 PM

Jul 2014
Chiibi said:
Red_Tuesday said:
shounen tends to be insultingly dumb for me.

"This is my super awesome, impossible to defeat attack, so let me explain to you, GUY WHO WANTS TO KILL ME, exactly how it f*cking works"? XD

you know who DOESN'T do that? Magical girls. You know what demographic has the most magical girls? Shoujo.

Pretty much.

All shounen dialogue basically sounds like "my dad can beat up your dad!"

"nuh-uh!"

"yuh-uH!!!!"
Apr 17, 2016 10:09 PM

Oct 2015
I try to watch everything.

I don't tend to avoid any certain genre except Yaoi, which who knows maybe one day I'll end up watching one >_>
Apr 18, 2016 12:07 AM

Oct 2009
I'm a girl and most of the shows that I watch are shounen lol
I just avoid shounen HAREMS basically... They're just eeerkkww for me. I also have been avoidig reverse harems recently... It's annoying that the mc is mostly mary sues or wtv and they don't end up with anyone at the end lmao
Total waste of time for me even though it's bishie lalalaland :/

Apr 18, 2016 12:37 AM
Feb 2015
Chiibi said:
-Janet said:

I KNOW RIGHT.

Omg ~hugs you~ glad to see another fellow female Shoujo fan ♥ it's really upsetting how less and less Shoujo Manga get adaptions. I've read so many good manga's that are definitely worthy of recieving an anime. I think it's time for Japan to take a break from making all those shitty magical ecchi harem and your typical Shounen shows and give Shoujo another try.

I get its what gives the most money at the moment but I'm sure there are girls out there who want to see a couple of Shoujo anime that are at least 26-52 episodes long not 12 xD btw love your favorites this world needs more anime like Full Moon wo Sagshite and Kamikaze kaitou Jeanne those were truly amazing ♥
Apr 18, 2016 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
I don't avoid anything. A good anime is a good anime, regardless of the target demographic.
Apr 18, 2016 3:26 AM

Apr 2014
As a guy, I dislike Shoujos
Have tried a bunch of them, the humor is just terrible IMO and I generally dislike the characters' portrayal, either we have Mary sue just like in Kaichou wa Maid sama or either retarded jolly girl like in Lovely Complex or Ore Monogatari.
Only exception so far are Nana (but it has the characteristics of a Josei rather than a Shoujo) and Ouran Koukou Host Club which managed to have a solid heroin and acceptable side characters (like the twins)
May try things like Akatsuki no Yona, Utena or Versailles no Bara but no more high school Shoujo.
Apr 18, 2016 7:57 AM

Nov 2008
-Janet said:
Chiibi said:

I KNOW RIGHT.

Omg ~hugs you~ glad to see another fellow female Shoujo fan ♥ it's really upsetting how less and less Shoujo Manga get adaptions. I've read so many good manga's that are definitely worthy of recieving an anime. I think it's time for Japan to take a break from making all those shitty magical ecchi harem and your typical Shounen shows and give Shoujo another try.

I get its what gives the most money at the moment but I'm sure there are girls out there who want to see a couple of Shoujo anime that are at least 26-52 episodes long not 12 xD btw love your favorites this world needs more anime like Full Moon wo Sagshite and Kamikaze kaitou Jeanne those were truly amazing ♥

SUPER SPECIAL AND AMAZING ♥. Imma send you a PM. XD THere are a lot of female shoujo fanatics....just not so many on MAL.

Apr 18, 2016 7:59 AM

Mar 2016
I don't avoid either, they both have good shows.
Apr 18, 2016 8:03 AM
Apr 2016
ExTamplier said:
I was wondering how do fellow MAL users pick their anime. I personally try to avoid Shoujo (Male) as I find it not appealing to my interests.

i avoid shoujo/ reverse harem/yaoi
mosty cause of how SEXIST they are
Apr 18, 2016 8:31 AM

Dec 2015
Quite the opposite. I usually try to avoid shoujo, mostly because I don't like alot of its art style. I watch more shounen.
Apr 18, 2016 8:40 AM

Aug 2013
Girl here!

I don't avoid Shounen shows. I'll watch anything, even harem/ecchi!
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Apr 18, 2016 8:44 AM

Jul 2010
I came across more males avoiding Shoujo than females avoiding Shounen. I also came across a few female avoiding Shoujo, but, so far, no males avoiding Shounen. Personally ? Don't care, though I tend to read less Shoujo because they can easily go on my nerves.
Apr 18, 2016 8:45 AM

Apr 2015
Watching nana right now. In a guy. So I guess that means I don't avoid the genre.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Apr 18, 2016 11:24 PM
Feb 2015
Chiibi said:
-Janet said:

SUPER SPECIAL AND AMAZING ♥. Imma send you a PM. XD THere are a lot of female shoujo fanatics....just not so many on MAL.

Ahhh really I'm so glad to know there's still Shoujo fanatics out there ♥ I'm already glad I met you and it would definitely be awesome to meet others who love Shoujo as much as I do xD

& Alrighty I'll be waiting for you PM can't wait Chiibi-San xD
Apr 18, 2016 11:39 PM

Nov 2014
Noxious_ said:
Watching nana right now. In a guy. So I guess that means I don't avoid the genre.
I watched shoujo before, and I avoid it now.

Apr 18, 2016 11:40 PM

Nov 2008
Nah, I want to watch all kinds of series!
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 58 minutes ago

9 by Vendicator »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

84 by BilboBaggins365 »»
5 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

59 by Bruh69XD »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
12 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.