Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 10, 2015 11:05 PM

May 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
PoeticJustice said:

I sincerely hope you are being ironic.

Not at all sir. Look at my favorites/ratings.

Just because you like something more, doesn't mean it has more depth. I like hunter x hunter but I am not going to tout it as some philosophical masterpiece. And pretentious is not a legitimate critique bruh.
Jul 10, 2015 11:29 PM

Mar 2015
PoeticJustice said:
AttackOnTetris said:

Not at all sir. Look at my favorites/ratings.

Just because you like something more, doesn't mean it has more depth. I like hunter x hunter but I am not going to tout it as some philosophical masterpiece. And pretentious is not a legitimate critique bruh.

My point was that I wasn't being ironic, so you can check my favorites/list. I wouldn't be ironic about a favorite would I?

And Hunter x Hunter is very philosophically deep although it is more subtle about it.

If you look at the political portrayals between AoT, HxH, and NGE for example, one sticks out as being incredibly shallow with an Illuminati-esque cabal secretly controlling the United Nations whose end goal is to gather human souls for an unknown reason. Deep like a comic book villain.
Jul 10, 2015 11:44 PM

May 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
PoeticJustice said:

My point was that I wasn't being ironic, so you can check my favorites/list. I wouldn't be ironic about a favorite would I?

And Hunter x Hunter is very philosophically deep although it is more subtle about it.

If you look at the political portrayals between AoT, HxH, and NGE for example, one sticks out as being incredibly shallow with an Illuminati-esque cabal secretly controlling the United Nations whose end goal is to gather human souls for an unknown reason. Deep like a comic book villain.

The focus of Eva isn't even politics. That is like watching Iron man complaining the romance is weak. It is a character study if anything. You watch characters and how the behave under certain scenarios.
Jul 11, 2015 12:18 AM

Mar 2015
PoeticJustice said:
The focus of Eva isn't even politics. That is like watching Iron man complaining the romance is weak. It is a character study if anything. You watch characters and how the behave under certain scenarios.

By character interactions you mean sexual tension. It's not deep nor original. Hedgehog's dilemma is just clumsily ripped from Schopenhauer and used in a completely non-compelling way (at least from my perspective). That is one of the reasons why I use the word "pretentious"; the skin-deep religious symbolism is another.

And the reason I bring up the political portrayals is that NGE is praised for its supposed realism yet it doesn't even capture human nature at the societal level. Most of the characters themselves don't even act like real people.
HalkenburgJul 11, 2015 12:25 AM
Jul 11, 2015 1:06 AM

Feb 2015
Agafin said:
The word "gay" has literally changed from "a state of happiness" to "being a homsexual" thanks to popularisation and now it's officially and nearly universally used as such. Sorry but words do change.

It used to mean happy, then the sodomites declared themselves 'gay' to try and market themselves as a positive identity. Eventually it became synonymous with them as a colloquial phrase, and since then it's become an insult. What does that tell you about 'gay' people? Maybe they'll go ahead and steal a new word.

AttackOnTetris said:
Hedgehog's dilemma is just clumsily ripped from Schopenhauer and used in a completely non-compelling way (at least from my perspective).

I know people that do act in that way, so I consider it compelling. I guess something that conflicts with your personal experience is never truly going to come across to you as genuine.

AttackOnTetris said:
That is one of the reasons why I use the word "pretentious"; the skin-deep religious symbolism is another.

That's certainly arguable. Angel's Egg does a much better job with its Christian symbolism.

AttackOnTetris said:
And the reason I bring up the political portrayals is that NGE is praised for its supposed realism yet it doesn't even capture human nature at the societal level. Most of the characters themselves don't even act like real people.

For every time you look at a character like that and think of it as unrealistic, just go to literally any other mecha show and look at how much more unrealistic that character is by comparison. Look at the backgrounds of the characters in Eva. The whole point is that they're human characters thrown in alien situations. Expecting them to act like your casual shounen heroes in situations full of such confusion and stress is nothing short of foolishness.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jul 11, 2015 1:16 AM

Nov 2014
Well, I haven't watched EVA, but from what I've heard about it and with the "psychological" tag it has, I don't think it's supposed to capture "human nature in the societal level" and more like "mental destabilization" from events that are not experienced daily. Kind of like Madoka Magica, really.

Jul 11, 2015 1:26 AM

Mar 2015
AttackOnTetris said:
Hedgehog's dilemma is just clumsily ripped from Schopenhauer and used in a completely non-compelling way (at least from my perspective).

I know people that do act in that way, so I consider it compelling. I guess something that conflicts with your personal experience is never truly going to come across to you as genuine.

It's not that people don't act that way but more the pretense of name-dropping over something that's pretty obvious. It comes off as "I read something about old psychology and now I'll put it in my anime". Shinji developed an avoidant personality but of course that doesn't sound as poetic.
AttackOnTetris said:
That is one of the reasons why I use the word "pretentious"; the skin-deep religious symbolism is another.

That's certainly arguable. Angel's Egg does a much better job with its Christian symbolism.

Agreed x 1 million
AttackOnTetris said:

For every time you look at a character like that and think of it as unrealistic, just go to literally any other mecha show and look at how much more unrealistic that character is by comparison. Look at the backgrounds of the characters in Eva. The whole point is that they're human characters thrown in alien situations. Expecting them to act like your casual shounen heroes in situations full of such confusion and stress is nothing short of foolishness.
[/quote]
Apart from Shinji, I don't get what you're trying to say. I said "most of the characters" for a reason because I really do think Shinji is a great protagonist. I don't even have a problem with unrealistic characters, but if the realism is the show's selling point, I'm just rebutting that by saying almost everyone surrounding the protagonist is unrealistic. Using "shounen heroes" as a basis for comparison is hilarious too, as well as making the straw man inference that I expect them to act like "shounen heroes". Simply being a few steps more realistic than stereotyped "shounen" is not praiseworthy.

AzureDaora said:
Well, I haven't watched EVA, but from what I've heard about it and with the "psychological" tag it has, I don't think it's supposed to capture "human nature in the societal level" and more like "mental destabilization" from events that are not experienced daily. Kind of like Madoka Magica, really.

Yet 2 of the 3 EVA pilots are plot devices. That's kind of where the whole psychological element falls apart for me.

I don't mind plot devices by the way. AoT is full of them and it leads to very efficient storytelling which allows more room for world and atmosphere building.
MasterTengkorakJul 11, 2015 10:53 AM
Jul 11, 2015 1:50 AM

Feb 2015
AttackOnTetris said:
It's not that people don't act that way but more the pretense of name-dropping over something that's pretty obvious [to me]. It comes off as "I read something about old psychology and now I'll put it in my anime". Shinji developed an avoidant personality but of course that doesn't sound as poetic.

Exactly! What's wrong with using a colourful metaphor to describe the situation? Not everyone is well versed in the works of Schopenhauer.

AttackOnTetris said:
Apart from Shinji, I don't get what you're trying to say. I said "most of the characters" for a reason because I really do think Shinji is a great protagonist.

It was hard for me to tell which of the characters you actually thought were well written. Thanks for clarifying.

AttackOnTetris said:
I don't even have a problem with unrealistic characters, but if the realism is the show's selling point, I'm just rebutting that by saying almost everyone surrounding the protagonist is unrealistic.

The whole situation is so far-fetched that it's hard to really tell how any character would act. With that in mind, I think that Misato and Asuka (especially Misato) were both well written (which becomes so much more obvious when you watch the failed attempt to reconstruct those same characters in the rebuilds). Rei is the prototypical socially unaware blank slate and I'm not going to pretend that takes any skill to write.

AttackOnTetris said:
Using "shounen heroes" as a basis for comparison is hilarious too, as well as making the straw man inference that I expect them to act like "shounen heroes". Simply being a few steps more realistic than stereotyped "shounen" is not praiseworthy.

Read thread title pls. Deconstructions do what again? The object of NGE is to show off what average human beings would actually be like, when thrust into such insane situations (given batman-style backgrounds, tasked with saving the world, etc.), as opposed to the sort of wish fulfilment Gary Stu/Mary Sue uberchild that is so typical of the genre.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jul 11, 2015 2:00 AM

Mar 2015
Fair enough points there. A lot of this comes down to personal opinion, but what I will say is that if it's supposed to be realistic, Asuka and Rei ruin that for me. And the whole deconstruction thing being anti-Mary Sue type characters doesn't resonate that much with me, maybe because I haven't experienced a whole lot of them. Even every character in AoT has their flaws and it isn't a show known for characters. Gon's naive idealism is portrayed as a weakness even if he superficially fits the wonder child mold.
Jul 11, 2015 10:45 AM

May 2015
AttackOnTetris said:
Fair enough points there. A lot of this comes down to personal opinion, but what I will say is that if it's supposed to be realistic, Asuka and Rei ruin that for me. And the whole deconstruction thing being anti-Mary Sue type characters doesn't resonate that much with me, maybe because I haven't experienced a whole lot of them. Even every character in AoT has their flaws and it isn't a show known for characters. Gon's naive idealism is portrayed as a weakness even if he superficially fits the wonder child mold.

This has been a really interesting debate. I'm an NGE fan but you make valid points.

I agree the characters of NGE aren't very realistic. They're exaggerated. I'm okay with that. I think that's the point. It doesn't want to phisophical, it wants to capture Mecha's epicness and do it right. So instead of giving us bold heroes, it gives as flawed human being to make it more intense.

These are people who aren't sure they will win. They are afraid and don't want to do this, which makes their fight more emotionally intense. It's not just a muscular guy just mowing down mooks.

It's 'psychological' in a sense that the epic is personal - how do these characters cope with this? - rather than general - whee! They saved the world!
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 11, 2015 11:02 AM

Jan 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
AttackOnTetris said:

This has been a really interesting debate. I'm an NGE fan but you make valid points.

I agree the characters of NGE aren't very realistic. They're exaggerated. I'm okay with that. I think that's the point. It doesn't want to phisophical, it wants to capture Mecha's epicness and do it right. So instead of giving us bold heroes, it gives as flawed human being to make it more intense.

These are people who aren't sure they will win. They are afraid and don't want to do this, which makes their fight more emotionally intense. It's not just a muscular guy just mowing down mooks.

It's 'psychological' in a sense that the epic is personal - how do these characters cope with this? - rather than general - whee! They saved the world!

I think Shinji is pretty realistic.. But Asuka and Rei no. They should have developed misato more IMO. She could have complemented Shinji better more than the 2.
Jul 11, 2015 11:17 AM

May 2012
TokonatsuYuu said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I think Shinji is pretty realistic.. But Asuka and Rei no. They should have developed misato more IMO. She could have complemented Shinji better more than the 2.

Asuka is a realistic character. I did a research paper on narcissism and she pretty much fits the definition to a T.
Jul 11, 2015 11:21 AM

Jan 2015
PoeticJustice said:
TokonatsuYuu said:

Asuka is a realistic character. I did a research paper on narcissism and she pretty much fits the definition to a T.

OK then I will eat my own words ><. But I'm kind of confuse about her problems. Whats she so mad about? Yeah her parents died and she's sad about it but I don't know why she grew up to be like that.
Jul 11, 2015 11:23 AM
Oct 2012
TokonatsuYuu said:

That sort of misses the point of the entire series. All of the three main characters could power an eva because they were completely isolated. Had Misato better related to Shinji, then Shinji would have stopped being a Eva driver. Had they developed Asuka or Rei more, both would have stopped being pilots.

The ultimate goal, of both the series and the first movie, was the same (though with different means). It was about transcending the isolation of individualism and being able to completely connect with another human being. In doing this, Shinji would be healed, there would be no more war, no more eva attacks, and humanity could evolve to the next level.
Jul 11, 2015 11:27 AM

May 2012
@TokonatsuYuu

Basically everything she does is to get some sort of validation. The validation that she never received from her mother.
Jul 11, 2015 11:48 AM

Jan 2015
PoeticJustice said:
@TokonatsuYuu

Basically everything she does is to get some sort of validation. The validation that she never received from her mother.

Ooo thanks. Why didn't I get it earlier sigh..
Jul 11, 2015 11:51 AM

Jan 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
TokonatsuYuu said:

That sort of misses the point of the entire series. All of the three main characters could power an eva because they were completely isolated. Had Misato better related to Shinji, then Shinji would have stopped being a Eva driver. Had they developed Asuka or Rei more, both would have stopped being pilots.

The ultimate goal, of both the series and the first movie, was the same (though with different means). It was about transcending the isolation of individualism and being able to completely connect with another human being. In doing this, Shinji would be healed, there would be no more war, no more eva attacks, and humanity could evolve to the next level.

I see. But I do find the chemistry between the 3 to be lacking.
Jul 11, 2015 12:26 PM

Mar 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
AttackOnTetris said:

I agree with your perception on the strengths of NGE. I may feel at times it tripped over its own feet especially toward the end but I am not a hater of the show.

I also may have been spoiled by seeing Attack on Titan and Code Geass before NGE, and both just seem quite a bit more "epic" than NGE. But then again they may not have existed as we know them (especially AoT has a big NGE influence and in my mind it's a mecha, only the mechas aren't actually mechas).
Jul 11, 2015 12:35 PM

Mar 2015
On the topic, can we call katanagatari a deconstruction?
Jul 11, 2015 12:38 PM

Dec 2012
The main reason I'd like a deconstruction piece is that I didn't like what genre or type of story it was deconstructing. Either that or because the story was entertaining.
KruszerJul 11, 2015 12:41 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 11, 2015 12:43 PM

Aug 2014
Doomdoctor said:
On the topic, can we call katanagatari a deconstruction?

It is very genre savy of the samurai/martial arts genres.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 11, 2015 2:19 PM

May 2015
AttackOnTetris said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I agree with your perception on the strengths of NGE. I may feel at times it tripped over its own feet especially toward the end but I am not a hater of the show.

I also may have been spoiled by seeing Attack on Titan and Code Geass before NGE, and both just seem quite a bit more "epic" than NGE. But then again they may not have existed as we know them (especially AoT has a big NGE influence and in my mind it's a mecha, only the mechas aren't actually mechas).

Just because NGE is influential doesn't mean it's good. It's possible that AOT and Code Geass show that the creators of NGE had no idea what they were doing with their ideas. I'll know when I'll watch them.

Check post #189 - I can't believe I missed this theme of isolation in NGE. It put the series in new light for me.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 11, 2015 4:06 PM
Oct 2012
YandereTheEmo said:
For instance, words like pig, cow, sheep, and chicken originated from a rural germanic tongue, while words like pork, beef, mutton, and poultry originated from french dialect. Both groups creating these words were, in essentiality, referring to the same things, but used different words to qualify them depending on what fit their natural dialect and generally felt comfortable to say. This is a keen example of linguistic frailty. Over time, in order to qualify certain things for the sake of simplifying interactions, these rural workers created words to define their tangible animals, whilst the upper-class utilized different words to do the same.

But they aren't the same thing in English. The Germanic words represents the animal, the French words represent the eatable meat. So this example says the opposite of what you were saying.

Also the rural/nobility (or more accurately saxon/norman) distinction is one of those "too good to ever check" type of things. This theory was invented by Sir Walter Scott in Ivanhoe and no one really has bothered to check since (it is scary how many of these things exist, like the idea that witches were burnt during the dark ages (they weren't)).

Most likely the reason the words were brought into English was because merchants needed to distinguish that they were not selling the entire animal, but were only selling the eatable meat and it was easier to take the french words than invent new ones.

YandereTheEmo said:
Words aren't reality, as if they were, the contradiction between different groups' use of words and language would be a contradiction of two realities.

Yes, its called misunderstandings, whether individual, cultural or linguistic. The only way to resolve these is for both groups to agree to call the same thing the same thing (or at least agree that x word means y word in the other language).

YandereTheEmo said:
The more you move away from the purpose of the hypothetical, the more you express your charlatanry. Just because you cannot envision it does not make it an impossibility, that's flawed reasoning.

The one example you gave above, had it been true, would have proven my point.

Though I do think we do have a bit of a misunderstanding. I am not saying that cow has to always be cow in English, I could see that after a long period of time the word could change (as words have evolved over centuries - though mass printing has slowed this down dramatically). But that would be a natural accreted change, my argument is against a sudden conscious change. That is what I believe cannot occur outside of tyranny (and with evil intent). And Orwell backs me up on this. Had you read my argument it should have been clear (in that I both specified "today" as the time change, and agreed that over time a word could change meaning).

That is what Deconstruction seeks to do. It denies that a word today (or when it was written) had meaning today or that time. It seeks to define words as the critique WANTS it to mean. That is what I consider wrong, and ultimately evil.

I'm going to skip the rest of your post because 1) I don't want to be too long and 2) frankly, you seem incapable of carrying on a discussion without resorting to name calling and rudeness
Jul 11, 2015 4:14 PM
Oct 2012
TokonatsuYuu said:
I see. But I do find the chemistry between the 3 to be lacking.

They are, but they were designed to be that way. So it wasn't a flaw, it was an effect.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Check post #189 - I can't believe I missed this theme of isolation in NGE. It put the series in new light for me.

I will spoil, though it isn't really one
Jul 11, 2015 4:44 PM

Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

But they aren't the same thing in English. The Germanic words represents the animal, the French words represent the eatable meat. So this example says the opposite of what you were saying.

The french words ended up representing the meat itself because of a divide between cultures, and what they supposedly saw as representative of the animals. While the french nobility only saw them in the form of meat, and thus named them relative to what they were eating, the germanic, rural workers dealt more exclusively with the animals themselves, hence the distinction.

The issue I was targeting here is, simply, that the variance of words between cultures, even those in close proximities, means that the words themselves are relative to communication, and serve to fit whatever is necessary to aptly communicate--and hence, following the context of our discussion--are not equatable to reality.

Most likely the reason the words were brought into English was because merchants needed to distinguish that they were not selling the entire animal, but were only selling the eatable meat and it was easier to take the french words than invent new ones.

But this isn't a substantiated fact--this is an assertion, a hypothesis, if you will. The process in which both were incorporated into English is irrelevant to the claim I was making, to be frank, but does address the diffusion of language over time.

Yes, its called misunderstandings, whether individual, cultural or linguistic. The only way to resolve these is for both groups to agree to call the same thing the same thing (or at least agree that x word means y word in the other language).

This reaffirms my point. The use of language is, at its root, for communication, thus whatever words exist in more commonality, and fit the purported and associated "norm," are what become used. Referring back to the point of calling a cow a pig, if it became more common, for whatever reason, whether it be linguistic ease or odd popularization, then it would make more sense to call a cow a pig, because that is what the "group" one is forced to communicate with, would presuppose to define a cow.

The one example you gave above, had it been true, would have proven my point.

I tend to disagree, the issue reaffirms my point.

Though I do think we do have a bit of a misunderstanding. I am not saying that cow has to always be cow in English, I could see that after a long period of time the word could change (as words have evolved over centuries - though mass printing has slowed this down dramatically). But that would be a natural accreted change, my argument is against a sudden conscious change. That is what I believe cannot occur outside of tyranny (and with evil intent). And Orwell backs me up on this. Had you read my argument it should have been clear (in that I both specified "today" as the time change, and agreed that over time a word could change meaning).

However, this is moving away from the original argument. We were simply arguing regarding the hypothetical notion of a cow being called a pig, to which we got into this discussion regarding the use of language, which you purported is, in essentiality, equatable to reality. To which we began to discuss the nature of such a conversion happening, which you time and time again purported to only be possible in a single day, while I was continually referring to the accretion of a word's popularity over time causing such a convergence.

While what I'm about to say is yet another example of what you would consider "rudeness," changing the scope of this argument, and thus altering your claims throughout, is intellectually dishonest.

Agreed on by whom? Agreed on for what reason? If every person of a societal group honestly believes that a cow will, from today, will be called a pig, then yes, the word would change. But what are the odds that such a conversion would occur? Short of tyrannical imposition, I cannot envision why anyone would want to change "cow" to "pig".

Here you presupposed that the only form of conversion we were discussing was instantaneous convergence, when in actuality, from the beginning, the argument had a far broader scope encompassing the general convergence from one word to another in order to qualify certain concepts/tangible objects.

Here, one quote later in your previous post, you affirm that you understand this notion of words being refined over hundreds of years, and yet you're asserting that such quotes are not reflective of what you were arguing?

Conventions are not frail. Something agreed upon by millions of people over hundreds of years is not frail.

It would be odd to chock this up entirely to the notion of a misconception, or a series of misconceptions, and doing so would neglect what has previously been stated.

That is what Deconstruction seeks to do.

Okay, now I'm beginning to understand why you qualified this as a misunderstanding. While I understand this thread began by discussing deconstructionism, we were, in actuality, discussing the notion of a word changing to another qualifier in order to characterize a certain tangible object.

I'm going to skip the rest of your post because 1) I don't want to be too long and 2) frankly, you seem incapable of carrying on a discussion without resorting to name calling and rudeness

This is once again neglectful of the rest of our discussion.

Here are some choice quotes to which I responded in a manner that you would consider rude:

Why? Just because the "mass" of people today think that "war is peace" doesn't make war = peace. If you believe that meanings can be overwritten so easily, that past meaning can be forgotten so easily, then why is your definition better than mine? What sort of racist sexist bigot do you think you are?

This is not only a strawman, but it's hyperbolic and unnecessarily aggressive. Would you consider this "rudeness"? I believe I classified it as some form of intellectual dishonesty, which is a very benign classification for such intolerance in a discussion.

In changing Cow to Pig you are the one deviating from "normality", your failure to understand this is what undermines your argument and exposes you as a tyrant.

Claiming that I innately failed to understand your concept - check.

Deviating from the argument itself - check.

Claiming that I am, for satirical reasons or otherwise, a tyrant - check.

I personally do not want to call a cow a parrot. Cow is perfectly fine, there is no reason to change the word. So please don't pretend that you desire to call a cow a pig is "natural". It is not. The only reason for the change would be a political reason, and that ultimately is a tyrannical decision.

Once again, an invariable strawman and a unnecessary personal attack. I'm sorry, but me calling this kind of statement out for what it is, a fallacy, is not resorting to rudeness, it's simply explaining the faulty logic present.

I'm missing the part where I've resorted to rudeness and name calling at this point, unfortunately.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 11, 2015 5:59 PM
Oct 2012
YandereTheEmo said:
I'm missing the part where I've resorted to rudeness and name calling at this point

My apologies, I didn't realize that the word "charlatan" was a positive one in your dictionary.

YandereTheEmo said:
While the french nobility only saw them in the form of meat, and thus named them relative to what they were eating, the germanic, rural workers dealt more exclusively with the animals themselves, hence the distinction.

YandereTheEmo said:
But this isn't a substantiated fact--this is an assertion, a hypothesis, if you will.

Yes, it was a hypothesis, which is why I said "most likely". The word would have entered the vocabulary because there was a need to differentiate between "swine" and "pork", my hypothesis is the most simple explanation of what happened.

Your hypothesis is also not "substantiated", and I think it is even weaker because I can identify the exact source of the hypothesis. It occurs in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. Find an etext of Ivanhoe and then search for the first use of pork, it spells it out completely.

But here is the thing, Scott was an extremely political writer, the context of the writing of the novel was to elevate the native english (in Scott's case the saxons) at the expense of the french (the normans), it was not based on historical fact, but rather was a product of 19th century romanticism (which interestingly encompassed a heavy dose of nationalism) and Scott's political views of contemporary British society (On this, Wikipedia's entry on Sir Walter Scott (see the novel subsection) is actually pretty good).

So, once you understand this, let me ask, which hypothesis is the most likely to be true.
Jul 11, 2015 6:41 PM

Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

My apologies, I didn't realize that the word "charlatan" was a positive one in your dictionary.

You proclaimed it as though it was unwarranted, when in reality, highlighting charlatanry and fallacious reasoning is part of discerning and dissecting illogical responses. I apologize if you took offense.

Yes, it was a hypothesis, which is why I said "most likely". The word would have entered the vocabulary because there was a need to differentiate between "swine" and "pork", my hypothesis is the most simple explanation of what happened.

This seems logical, but can you point of evidence aside from hypothetical reasoning? It's unsubstantiated because it doesn't provide any form of empirical evidence, and rather just serves as a hypothesis without an answer, or evidence therewith.

That doesn't mean it's any less likely, it just means it isn't as well recorded or supported.

Your hypothesis is also not "substantiated", and I think it is even weaker because I can identify the exact source of the hypothesis.

This is an incomplete statement as it stands. Being able to identify the purported source of the hypothesis does not inherently make the hypothesis weaker, in fact, having a place of reference bolsters it more-so than simply engineering one without any text or evidence behind it.

It occurs in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. Find an etext of Ivanhoe and then search for the first use of pork, it spells it out completely.

The notion of class divides is based on historical evidence, the likes of which, at the least, reveals that they existed--which is the first part of substantiating the claim. When the Normans invaded England, French was introduced as an up-market language of sorts, where-in the differences between their languages, as blended into English, essentially originated from the variance in the kind of work and materials they dealt with.

Similar divides can be seen in such phrases as, "Hearty Welcome" (English) and "Cordial Reception" (French). One is much earthier, and arguably more crude, while the other is fancier, however the both, in essentiality, mean the same thing. This is an example of linguistic decisions varying between the French and Germanic tongues.

Another example is the difference between job names:

Lower end, more humble professions such as being a Baker, Miller, or Shoemaker had noticeably English names, while upper-end work such as that of a Painter, Tailor, or Mason was referred to by its French counterpart.

Furthermore, they referred to the animals, or the parts therewith, based on what they were consuming, and or working with. The humble farm workers, those in rural environments, who usually cared for the animals being served to upperclass individuals, are assumed to have been the primary origins of the Anglo-Saxon words associated with the animals they cared for, because the divides can be seen throughout the loanwords associated with English, and not purely because of a single text.

Similarly, most words relating to government had french origins, similarly, a large portion of the justice-system's vocabulary has french origins--once again suggesting the power and class divides therewith. So the notion of such class-divides leading to a differentiation in language is relatively well-supported by empirical data and historical evidence, making it a pretty substantive hypothesis.

But here is the thing, Scott was an extremely political writer, the context of the writing of the novel was to elevate the native english (in Scott's case the saxons) at the expense of the french (the normans), it was not based on historical fact, but rather was a product of 19th century romanticism (which interestingly encompassed a heavy dose of nationalism) and Scott's political views of contemporary British society (On this, Wikipedia's entry on Sir Walter Scott (see the novel subsection) is actually pretty good).

A critique of one individual who's work made up but a small piece of the vast array of data present to support said hypothesis in no way completely discredits the hypothesis itself, at the least, it just refines it by weeding out unnecessarily biased information.

So, once you understand this, let me ask, which hypothesis is the most likely to be true.

Nice nod to your perception that I don't understand the concepts you are discussing, it adds grandeur to your claim.

Based on what's displayed now, I'd say "my hypothesis," although it's not something I'm entirely interested in, is more likely than not, but feel free to refute what's been posted.

Also, this piece of the discussion was but a small part of the larger picture you mentioned that you were going to refrain from responding to--which is unfortunate, because it truncates the larger context of what we were discussing.
YaN333Jul 11, 2015 6:44 PM
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 11, 2015 7:03 PM
Oct 2012
YandereTheEmo said:
I apologize if you took offense.

Stop being whining. Have the balls to admit you were being offensive.

Let me provide you with positive example: you are a whining little twit, rather than try to understand the opposing viewpoint you retreat to trying to take individual words out of context. You are a pathetic worm. Crawl back underneath your rock before I decide squashing you is worthwhile.

No, it is not based on "historical" evidence. An "honest" evaluation of "historical context" would expose that 12th century understanding of language is not the same as 19th century understanding. No 12th century Saxon would have felt the same way a 19th century writer would feel. That you cannot understand this differnce really makes me doubt your intelligence.

Allow me to give you this hint (though based on your writing I doubt you can understand): thoughts have a temporal basis. Certain arguments can only be made at certain times.
Jul 11, 2015 7:23 PM

Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

Stop being whining. Have the balls to admit you were being offensive.

No, I'm being honest. I apologize if you took offense, because nothing I said was a direct attack out of the context of our discussion. I was dissecting what you wrote, and evaluating fallacies present.

Let me provide you with positive example: you are a whining little twit, rather than try to understand the opposing viewpoint you retreat to trying to take individual words out of context. You are a pathetic worm. Crawl back underneath your rock before I decide squashing you is worthwhile.

Interesting. However, the issue with stating this sort of remark is that you have already taken what I have previously said out of context by calling it inherently offensive, and "name-calling," so you're contradicting your purported concept of logical arguing here.

Also, it's not that I'm not trying to understand your viewpoint, it's that I disagree with it. Also, you've made some similarly-geared remarks earlier (two of which I noted prior), once again exemplifying which of us has actually been "offensive" based on your standards.

No, it is not based on "historical" evidence.

You're denying that the Normans invaded England? And the exposure of french to the English language therewith?

An "honest" evaluation of "historical context" would expose that 12th century understanding of language is not the same as 19th century understanding. No 12th century Saxon would have felt the same way a 19th century writer would feel. That you cannot understand this differnce really makes me doubt your intelligence.

Mind if I start marking places that would be considered "offensive" based on your previously noted standard of name-calling and rudeness?

Anyway, the notion of an "honest evaluation" isn't objective, so asserting one perspective as fact in this case is, by nature of technicality a form of mind-projection.

The rest of your comment is highly irrelevant. I'm not justifying the writings of Sir Walter Scott, yet that seems to be the only bearing for discrediting the theory. In fact, I forsook the notion of his writings in my comment when evaluating the historical context. Of course it's obvious that the understanding of language changes and warps over time, however that does not discredit the evidence abound in the similarities between French, the loanwords, and the relativity of said loanwords therewith.

I'd like to note that aside from this, you've offered no refutation to what I previously said, meaning that as of now, the hypothesis still stands.

Allow me to give you this hint (though based on your writing I doubt you can understand): thoughts have a temporal basis. Certain arguments can only be made at certain times.

The notion that we cannot evaluate history, especially by utilizing evidence present today in our own language is a completely negligent way of restricting an argument based on minor uncertainties.

Following this notion of arguments and thoughts being temporal, technically we should refrain from hypothesizing about our uncertainties of history in general, because we cannot completely delve into the minds of those present at the time of said historical events--regardless of the boundless critical analysis that can be poured into their actions, and the physical proof/aftermath of said actions.

(Note, I marked another spot in which you dissolve your argument into argumentum ad hominem)
YandereTheEmo said:
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

47 by MeguSae38 »»
18 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by animeboilolz »»
44 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

91 by Zarutaku »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.