Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
School-Live!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2015 12:56 AM

Jan 2013
This was pretty good, could not help but start the manga >.<
Jul 10, 2015 12:59 AM

Jun 2015
Good episode. Love the way they revealed the reality of the situation. Also feel a little sad for Yuki for what she's going through

Fave moment of the episode (because my family dog ignores me at times too)

You're not alone, Miki!

Jul 10, 2015 1:12 AM

Feb 2011
I read a ton of the manga last night. And I didn't expect it just have Miki there like that..

Jul 10, 2015 1:23 AM

Jul 2009
I had the good intention to read all 5 pages of comments, but there's barely anything discussion worthy in 85% of them, so I am sorry, just skipping ahead and giving my 5 cents on episode 1:

The reveal is what saved it. I LOVE the source material and the art style is great, but the episode was absolutely SHIT!!!!!!! It even failed in pretending to be a moe SoI. The choice to chase the dog for an entire episode is a very poor one, when we're talking episode one - the very first that should hook people up. If they wanted to go mask it as slice of life - good. But I am sure there could have been plenty of other scenarios they could have gone with that would mislead the viewers and still not bore them to death. Because I ended up only waiting for the big reveal, that's how disappointed and uninterested I was. And mind you, I like slice of life, it's just that Gakkou Gurashi did really poorly at it and the "well it isn't actually moe slice of life, it's horror" is not an excuse in my book.
As for the reveal - it was executed perfectly I have no complains about it and the scene with Yuki in the classroom actually shook me. The manga did a great job with it, but aside from a surprise and a gasp, it didn't really strike me as much as seeing it in animated form.

About Taromaru(?) and Miki: eh. I can see why they're there. But I don't think "otherwise she would need to appear around episode 8" is a valid excuse. I think there could've been plenty of things that could have been done differently, present some things in a more organized fashion and have Miki by episode 5 or something. It looks like many of the manga readers forget Megu-nee is not a minor character in the whole story, so having her
pretty much removes a good amount of story that they will actually bring back later as a flashback. At least this is how I think will happen. And that is something absolutely unneeded. Why just not play things out normally like in the manga and add Miki later on? I know a lot of you love her, but I love Megu-nee too and having this weird twist is pretty much pointless to me. Why rush things, if you'll explain them with flashbacks later on?!
Also, I am curious if there is a possibility that the dog

<3?

Jul 10, 2015 1:27 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly, other than the twist at the end (which I more or less knew was coming already), this episode felt pretty worthless. As for the twist, I already knew about the zombies and stuff, but I didn't realise that everything else was actually a delusion in Yuki's head to block out the reality of the situation (which she clearly hasn't accepted). On a different note, I hate that OP song so much; it's definitely on of the worst OPs I have heard.

In any case, I'm interested to see what this series does from here, now that it's revealed what's really going on.
Jul 10, 2015 2:09 AM
Jul 2018
Seriously pretty dissapointed with the 1st ep. The dog is the mpv for this ep. Pretty sure they're toning down the dark side of the story. Sigh... really a dog?
Jul 10, 2015 2:44 AM

Mar 2013
I just did a bit of reading about what to expect and I AM NOT READY FOR WHAT I HAVE LET MYSELF IN FOR

Kurumi is best girl so far in this series for me too ;^;

(if you're wondering why I'm upset at that fact, I'm not saying what's coming)
RiotstarterJul 10, 2015 3:00 AM
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Jul 10, 2015 2:51 AM

Jun 2009
So I heard this wasn't your usual SOL moe anime. Thank god I picked this up.

Jul 10, 2015 3:12 AM

Jun 2014
LoveChild said:
I had the good intention to read all 5 pages of comments, but there's barely anything discussion worthy in 85% of them, so I am sorry, just skipping ahead and giving my 5 cents on episode 1:

The reveal is what saved it. I LOVE the source material and the art style is great, but the episode was absolutely SHIT!!!!!!! It even failed in pretending to be a moe SoI. The choice to chase the dog for an entire episode is a very poor one, when we're talking episode one - the very first that should hook people up. If they wanted to go mask it as slice of life - good. But I am sure there could have been plenty of other scenarios they could have gone with that would mislead the viewers and still not bore them to death. Because I ended up only waiting for the big reveal, that's how disappointed and uninterested I was. And mind you, I like slice of life, it's just that Gakkou Gurashi did really poorly at it and the "well it isn't actually moe slice of life, it's horror" is not an excuse in my book.
As for the reveal - it was executed perfectly I have no complains about it and the scene with Yuki in the classroom actually shook me. The manga did a great job with it, but aside from a surprise and a gasp, it didn't really strike me as much as seeing it in animated form.

About Taromaru(?) and Miki: eh. I can see why they're there. But I don't think "otherwise she would need to appear around episode 8" is a valid excuse. I think there could've been plenty of things that could have been done differently, present some things in a more organized fashion and have Miki by episode 5 or something. It looks like many of the manga readers forget Megu-nee is not a minor character in the whole story, so having her
pretty much removes a good amount of story that they will actually bring back later as a flashback. At least this is how I think will happen. And that is something absolutely unneeded. Why just not play things out normally like in the manga and add Miki later on? I know a lot of you love her, but I love Megu-nee too and having this weird twist is pretty much pointless to me. Why rush things, if you'll explain them with flashbacks later on?!

It probably gonna work since it's the author who is in charge with the script but maybe they will skip some stuff since its 12 episode only.
Jul 10, 2015 3:18 AM

Jan 2015
Thai777 said:
LoveChild said:

It probably gonna work since it's the author who is in charge with the script but maybe they will skip some stuff since its 12 episode only.

in 12 episodes they can adapt 30 chapters without skipping nothing
Jul 10, 2015 3:27 AM

Jul 2009
Xenocrisi said:

Yes, exactly my thought!
The more i think about these changes, the more my curiosity rises as to how they will play this out. But also the more I worry. I was honestly a tiny bit disappointed with episode 1, maybe my expectations are way too high.

<3?

Jul 10, 2015 3:28 AM

Jan 2014
So there it was, the twitch. I was afraid the horror and mystical tag was a mistake... Now it makes sense why the girls acted like they did with only Yuki not being able to see the horrific truth or being undeniable.

I'm excited to see more! (つ'ワ'c)
Jul 10, 2015 3:37 AM

Jan 2015
LoveChild said:
Xenocrisi said:

Yes, exactly my thought!
The more i think about these changes, the more my curiosity rises as to how they will play this out. But also the more I worry. I was honestly a tiny bit disappointed with episode 1, maybe my expectations are way too high.

I agree with you, they shouldn't have changed the manga for me, Miki appears at ch6-7, 1 episode= 2/3 chapters so at the 3rd/4th episode miki appears. she wouldn't appear late. but i agree with the dog, better. if there is it too
XenocrisiJul 10, 2015 3:48 AM
Jul 10, 2015 4:01 AM

Mar 2013
I'm gonna need a list of all the subtle hints that were in this episode so I can talk about it with friends after I make them watch it
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Jul 10, 2015 4:03 AM

Jan 2015
Riotstarter said:
I'm gonna need a list of all the subtle hints that were in this episode so I can talk about it with friends after I make them watch it

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBywVePj1Ig

EDIT: i don't know if they did it intentionally but the dog looks really similar there... (spoiler panel from chapter 17)

XenocrisiJul 10, 2015 4:21 AM
Jul 10, 2015 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
This got so dark so fast. Holy shit. I didn't expect that. Well I'm still gonna complain about the lack of shoujo-ai tag. But damn, this anime...
Jul 10, 2015 4:52 AM

Mar 2013
Xenocrisi said:
Riotstarter said:

EDIT: i don't know if they did it intentionally but the dog looks really similar there... (spoiler panel from chapter 17)

Those are all ones I'm aware of, as well as Megu's comments about various things
but someone earlier said there's like 20 different foreshadowing points
Jul 10, 2015 5:07 AM

Apr 2013
Zombiessssssssssssssss. The character designs are too cute to be horror though. Hope this will be good.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Jul 10, 2015 5:14 AM

Jan 2015
Riotstarter said:
Xenocrisi said:

Those are all ones I'm aware of, as well as Megu's comments about various things
but someone earlier said there's like 20 different foreshadowing points

Others are... (even if nobody can know it) with spoilers obviously
[spoiler]
-Yuki's peluche-bear
-In the op, the pigeon
-Nobody talks with menu-nee except yuki
-Yuki says: "we have all. It's like this is a different world"
-When Yuki is sleeping, inside her notebook there are drawn menu-nee and the dog happy together, obviously it is a reference to the chapter 17, because menu-nee kills the dog
-Mii-kun when enters in the classroom
-Yuki says: "dead end"
-The dog when is scratching the door. (chapter 17)
-Yuki says: "i didn't forget you" with menu-nee in the background
-The text on the board is a reference to the dog
-and then the zombie at the end from the chapter 2
-From the official visual: Megu-nee is just a draw on the blackboard and the Peluche too
XenocrisiJul 10, 2015 5:23 AM
Jul 10, 2015 5:40 AM

Nov 2014
This was better the second watch... I wish i could change my score to a 5/5. :(
Jul 10, 2015 6:34 AM

Jun 2012
idk, it was so obnoxious until the last couple minutes

if they don't get straight to the point in the next episode, this will be a trainwreck.

well played tho
Jul 10, 2015 6:35 AM

Dec 2014
The dog thing went on for too long. Felt like typical moe for most of it. The zombies didn't come until the very end. (Though even with the zombies and bloody backgrounds they played the cutesy music and the characters acted very normal, probably delusion I think, but I'm not sure)

Other than that, not bad. (Though to be far the only show I'm still watching this season that I'd consider bad is that Student Council President bullshit)
Jul 10, 2015 6:36 AM

Jul 2011
samesdday said:
idk, it was so obnoxious until the last couple minutes

if they don't get straight to the point in the next episode, this will be a trainwreck.

well played tho

manga tries to concentrate on the characters feelings rather than action(most times) in the first 9 chapters, with a usual trend : yuki asks that do something and they do it trying to not make her find out aboutzombies.
Jul 10, 2015 7:03 AM

Sep 2010
Was about to drop this after the first 15-20 Minutes... i was wondering where the "Mystery, Horror" were.

But with the Ending i will at least watch the next Episode
Jul 10, 2015 7:13 AM
Feb 2009
I was so confused looking for the horror, then suddenly blam zombies.
Really hope they focus more on the zombies otherwise I'll be insta-dropping though.
Jul 10, 2015 7:57 AM

Jan 2013
The pink girl's voice was the true horror. Better not watch this show to save my ears.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 10, 2015 8:14 AM

Feb 2013
Man, I started watching this knowing absolutely nothing about it.

At first, it kinda bored me, as I was thinking 'wow, Japan likes school so damn much that now there's an anime about living in school', and stopped midway to watch later (cuz I was also sleepy)

today I come back, more of the same stuff, (tho the dog was hilarious), and then that twist...

Well done people who made this. well done. Now I'm hooked.
Jul 10, 2015 8:16 AM

Jun 2013
holy shit she's delusional ffoling us the entire epiosde thinking this is some moe anime but no
Jul 10, 2015 8:22 AM

Oct 2012
WTF ending? I actually rewatched some of those scenes just to see them in different light.
Garden on the roof, shovel, Miki screaming during class, them sleeping in the school - everything now makes sense.

But sadly... the slice-of-life was pretty average and uninspired, even to the point I got bored really soon.
There was no single point where I would laugh.

So now the question is - is this series going to be like this until the very end or will they face their harsh reality a lot sooner.
Because if former is true, I'm going to drop this with next episode as there is really not much that would make this series stand out.
But if latter is true, I'm willing to give this anime its second chance.
Jul 10, 2015 8:22 AM

Mar 2015
I thought this was going to be a nice fun sol until I saw the last few minutes. Did not see that coming lol.
Jul 10, 2015 8:25 AM

Jan 2015
Mich666 said:
WTF ending? I actually rewatched some of those scenes just to see them in different light.
Garden on the roof, shovel, Miki screaming during class, them sleeping in the school - everything now makes sense.

But sadly... the slice-of-life was pretty average and uninspired, even to the point I got bored really soon.

So now the question is - is this series going to be like this until the very end or will they face their harsh reality a lot sooner.
Because if former is true, I'm going to drop this with next episode as there is really not much that would make this series stand out.

The first chapter is the only chapter where there is a lot of SoL, with the time this "kind" of SoL will not be anymore. Oh well, in the next episode there will be a bit of action, don't worry.
Jul 10, 2015 8:30 AM

Jul 2013
that....was unexpected.
Jul 10, 2015 8:56 AM

Jul 2014
Finally!! I've been waiting for this (>_<)/
Jul 10, 2015 9:05 AM

Oct 2014
Poor yuki..she just cant accept the reality
Jul 10, 2015 9:06 AM

Jun 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Thai777 said:

I'm not so sure honestly, most chapter are 30pages +. Also episode 1 cover chapter 1 so you stil have 29 chapters for 11 episode which makes a little less than 3 chapter/episode which is quite big for 30pages + per chapter. Or I was just slow when I read it because I swear it took me as long as a 80 chapter of weekly manga.
Jul 10, 2015 9:10 AM

Jul 2012
Yay for second best show this season!

I enjoyed this episode and am very excited for more. The final few minutes were chilling.

It sure is different from the beginning of the manga. Quite a few changes...which is not necessarily a bad thing of course.
I'm interested to see how they'll fit in the dog story. Good thing Miki's appearance can be easily shifted around.

Nice of them to also throw in the debut of >Steppen King.

Jun 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Mich666 said:

The first chapter is the only chapter where there is a lot of SoL, with the time this "kind" of SoL will not be anymore. Oh well, in the next episode there will be a bit of action, don't worry.

No I'm pretty sure there was quite a lot of them in other chapter, some are full of SoL. Like chapter 14. There was also chapter 25 which almost made me sleep.
Jan 2013
I didn't read the sypnosis nor anthing, I've only seen the score rating that made corious why this show has a good rating, then when I started watching it. I kinda felt sick due to its kiddieness, I was even thinking that those people who rate it good might have a poor standard.. But when the time i nearly drop it, I skipped (the part where she called the pink haired girl with a broken chair and glass backgroud) then I Immediately rewind the part where I skipped. (Felt like that spoiler ruined me a bit.) Then I continued the part where I skipped while thinking that the pink haired girl might be a killer and a psychotic. But I was still wrong, this was a zombie anime. OH YEAH! Very misleading! I've seen a lot of people complained who read the manga, well, this is not the right for you to discuss that thing, this is ANIME not Manga. Specifically Discussion for Episode 1 not the chapters of the manga. For me, as I didn't read the manga, the story was well executed.
coffeeworldJul 10, 2015 9:14 AM
ANIME>Disney
Jul 10, 2015 9:11 AM

Jan 2015
Thai777 said:
Xenocrisi said:

I'm not so sure honestly, most chapter are 30pages +. Also episode 1 cover chapter 1 so you stil have 29 chapters for 11 episode which makes a little less than 3 chapter/episode which is quite big for 30pages + per chapter. Or I was just slow when I read it because I swear it took me as long as a 80 chapter of weekly manga.

They just wanted to finish the 1st episode like the 1st chapter of the manga, this is probably the reason of why they adapted just 1 chapter in this episode, i am pretty sure the next episode will adapt in the first half the second chapter and in the second half the third chapter. these are my previsions for episode 2. if they continue adapting 1 chapter per episode this adaptation will be rushed as hell.
Btw you are slow.

Thai777 said:
No I'm pretty sure there was quite a lot of them in other chapter, some are full of SoL. Like chapter 14. There was also chapter 25 which almost made me sleep.

3 chapter full of SoL out of 35. Not bad. the rest of SoL scenes are most likely fake SoL that makes you depressed and are really short ones.
Jul 10, 2015 9:25 AM

Jun 2014
Xenocrisi said:

3 chapter full of SoL out of 35. Not bad. the rest of SoL scenes are most likely fake SoL that makes you depressed and are really short ones.

I can't remember but I do know that it happened more often than 3 chapter and they aren't all that short. Of course the SoL is not the dominant one but it is not a small portion either from what I remember so it's better if you tell them that it's happens sometimes but maybe the author will change that since she is in charge of the anime.

And yeah I know that for episode 1 they purposely slowed it down to just have the twist but even taking that on account I still don't think it can adapt 30, I do think it can do 20 but 30 is far fetched in my opinion.
Jul 10, 2015 9:32 AM

Jan 2015
Thai777 said:
Xenocrisi said:

I can't remember but I do know that it happened more often than 3 chapter and they aren't all that short. Of course the SoL is not the dominant one but it is not a small portion either from what I remember so it's better if you tell them that it's happens sometimes but maybe the author will change that since she is in charge of the anime.

And yeah I know that for episode 1 they purposely slowed it down to just have the twist but even taking that on account I still don't think it can adapt 30, I do think it can do 20 but 30 is far fetched in my opinion.

Oh well, 30 pages aren't a lot, if you put into them SoL, Horror, Psychological panels you'll immediately understand that the panels with SoL aren't a lot (5-10 maybe?)

They can do it, if they skip useless fillers (there aren't fillers in the manga as far as i remember), fillers= chapter full of SoL and SoL scenes they can do it i think. it is obvious that they will change the story a little for the first 3-4 episodes (because there's Miki too) and maybe for later episodes too, if they do their best, they can do it.
There's always the idea of Original Ending, if they make an original ending i'll be more than angry, the manga is perfect.
Jul 10, 2015 9:34 AM
Mar 2014
Ga_Laxy said:

It's meant to be The Stand, right?
Jul 10, 2015 9:35 AM

Jul 2007
Okay this seems interesting. Could go either way, but certainly one of the top shows this season.
Jul 10, 2015 9:44 AM

Nov 2014
perfect execution... what i felt on the 1st chapter months back was the same as the 1st episode today, bored then get hook...

that stephen king reference though...
Jul 10, 2015 9:52 AM

Jul 2013
Was the twist really worth fifteen grueling minutes of generic garbage? I don't think so.
Jul 10, 2015 9:53 AM

Dec 2013
Now that was interesting, I was kinda getting bored near the end of the episode but I'm glad I didn't stop watching. The twist at the end was awesome and I can't wait to see where this will go.
Jul 10, 2015 9:53 AM

Jul 2012
RMSfreedom said:
Ga_Laxy said:

It's meant to be The Stand, right?

I believe it's a new and improved version...'The Standard' ;)
Jul 10, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2007
MaxXZoe said:
perfect execution... what i felt on the 1st chapter months back was the same as the 1st episode today, bored then get hook...

that stephen king reference though...

Well at least for me there were A LOT of weird things that kept me questioning what is going on
First being that they chose a VERY freaking way to draw the MC's eyes.

Then we had the writing in the classroom which instantly reminded me of Madoka and did not seem to be something an elementary school kids would learn

Random barricaded hallway also seemed weird:

And the bookworm's reactions seemed weird too(at first I assumed this joined with the whole crazy eyes thing that the MC maybe was forcing them to play along or holding school hostage or something):

And this was the first time I have seen an elementary school with a freaking garden on top:

With a random freaking grave in it?(that was a wtf for me)

So the whole episode had those moments where I felt like "something's not right, what is wrong?".
Jul 10, 2015 10:07 AM
Aug 2014
I'm getting some So Ra No Wo To vibes with the whole "cute girls doing cute things" going on but I love the darkness behind it and I'd love to see where this anime goes :D
Jul 10, 2015 10:09 AM

Jun 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Thai777 said:

Oh well, 30 pages aren't a lot, if you put into them SoL, Horror, Psychological panels you'll immediately understand that the panels with SoL aren't a lot (5-10 maybe?)

They can do it, if they skip useless fillers (there aren't fillers in the manga as far as i remember), fillers= chapter full of SoL and SoL scenes they can do it i think. it is obvious that they will change the story a little for the first 3-4 episodes (because there's Miki too) and maybe for later episodes too, if they do their best, they can do it.
There's always the idea of Original Ending, if they make an original ending i'll be more than angry, the manga is perfect.

Well I will trust you on that one, but don't say that only the first episode will have SoL which is false.
Anime original ending can be good. It's the author, we can expect the same quality no?
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2015

511 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Feb 23, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

289 by PahLevia »»
Feb 16, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

228 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Feb 6, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2015

328 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 28, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

226 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Jan 24, 11:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.