New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2015 10:55 AM

Nov 2014
Unyilkdr said:
AzureDaora said:
if I remember right Law of Ueki doesn't have one
but I watched that a pretty long time ago
ueki suddenly have power to use lvl 2? even he still can use 7 weapon god? (correct me too, i watch it long time ago)
I remember that being no asspull, I remember it being explained and I think he trained for that
and I'm pretty sure you can use both heavenly powers and level 2 at the same time

Jul 9, 2015 11:00 AM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
Fusion was introduced since Namek saga eg. Piccolo fusing with Nail.

Not really. Fusion dance and the earnings weren't. Nail was able to fuse with Piccolo because they are both Nameks, it wasn't stated that this could happen with other species, not to mention that their fusion is hardly like the ones from the fusion dance and the earnings, in those fusions both personality form one, in Picoolo's case Nail just kinda disappeared for good and didn't change the appearance of Picolo (tho that's probably because they look the same anyway)
Jul 9, 2015 11:02 AM

Mar 2015
AzureDaora said:
Unyilkdr said:
ueki suddenly have power to use lvl 2? even he still can use 7 weapon god? (correct me too, i watch it long time ago)
I remember that being no asspull, I remember it being explained and I think he trained for that
and I'm pretty sure you can use both heavenly powers and level 2 at the same time
from what i remeber, his enemy is buble guy, and he need at least open 9 god weapon to leveling. and the buble guy even not leveling yet, he make nomer 10 god weapon. well, maybe it's me that not remember the explanation.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 9, 2015 11:07 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Fusion was introduced since Namek saga eg. Piccolo fusing with Nail.

Not really. Fusion dance and the earnings weren't. Nail was able to fuse with Piccolo because they are both Nameks, it wasn't stated that this could happen with other species, not to mention that their fusion is hardly like the ones from the fusion dance and the earnings, in those fusions both personality form one, in Picoolo's case Nail just kinda disappeared for good and didn't change the appearance of Picolo (tho that's probably because they look the same anyway)
True but it was never said that only Nameks can fuse. Piccolo knowing Dende even before meeting him and being protective of him shows Nail's personality was present and didn't just disappear. It's the same type of thing when Piccolo fused with Kami in terms of personality.
Jul 9, 2015 11:10 AM

Nov 2014
Unyilkdr said:
AzureDaora said:
from what i remeber, his enemy is buble guy, and he need at least open 9 god weapon to leveling. and the buble guy even not leveling yet, he make nomer 10 god weapon. well, maybe it's me that not remember the explanation.
well you remember wrong
[spoiler]
Robert Haydn (bubble guy) was already eaten by Hanon (pink haired, true villain guy) by that point. Hanon doesn't use your average powers, and only heavenly powers since he actually isn't a competitor. So he has no level 2, just the 1-10 star weapons.
Ueki trained to get to level 10, he was inside another heavenly beast.

Jul 9, 2015 11:13 AM

Mar 2015
AzureDaora said:
Unyilkdr said:
well you remember wrong
[spoiler]
Robert Haydn (bubble guy) was already eaten by Hanon (pink haired, true villain guy) by that point. Hanon doesn't use your average powers, and only heavenly powers since he actually isn't a competitor. So he has no level 2, just the 1-10 star weapons.
Ueki trained to get to level 10, he was inside another heavenly beast.
thank you.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 9, 2015 11:21 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
A wedgie?
Jul 9, 2015 11:46 AM

May 2015
Jonas_The_Jay said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Such as?

Ultimate Gohan, fusion, SSJ3, pretty much every power up in the Boo arc.

I can't name anything specific, but the world didn't seem consistent. They just threw everything they thought of, having super sayian level 4000 to defeat opponents.

Come to think of it, Digimon Adventure also has it. They pull mega Digivolution out of their ass to solve every conflict. Medabots is also a little bit guilty, but everything there (Animation, comedy, action) is so better that I can forgive it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 9, 2015 11:51 AM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Yeah, someone else pointed that out earlier. I got it, thanks[/quote] No problem.

TheBrainintheJar said:
They just threw everything they thought of, having super sayian level 4000 to defeat opponents.
That doesn't even exist in fanfiction.

TheBrainintheJar said:
I can't name anything specific
You can't because you have never fully watched DBZ.
Jul 9, 2015 11:54 AM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:

TheBrainintheJar said:
I can't name anything specific

I think he is one of those, that have an aversion to popular action shows because they are more popular than stuff like NGE.
Jul 9, 2015 11:56 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I think he is one of those, that have an aversion to popular action shows because they are more popular than stuff like NGE.
Typical jealous hipster, it does seem so.
Jul 9, 2015 11:57 AM

Jul 2015
1+ One More Please!
Jul 9, 2015 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
tsudecimo said:

"Hipster" lol. Besides the stupid ad hominem/populum, do you even know what is Evangelion? It's arguably more popular than DBZ in Japan and is part of their culture.
Jul 9, 2015 1:21 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah I heard that they named a specific day over Shinj- oh wait.

NGE is not more popular than DB, nor is it part of their culture. It's only part of the Otaku culture/pop culture. And the context was that DBZ is more popular than NGE in the west, which is also true.
Jul 9, 2015 1:24 PM

Aug 2013
Agafin said:
DrGeroCreation said:

"Hipster" lol. Besides the stupid ad hominem/populum, do you even know what is Evangelion? It's arguably more popular than DBZ in Japan and is part of their culture.
EVA was a late night anime not shown in the day and mainstream like DBZ. An average Japanese salary man would quicker recognize DBZ or Dragon Ball than EVA.
Jul 9, 2015 1:28 PM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
An average Japanese salary man would quicker recognize DBZ than EVA.

Well that was random. Salary men usually read Seinen manga when they commute.

I also don't think many people realize that a good portion of the population of Japan are not familiar with anime/manga. There was a street survey in where 60% or more (I don't remember the exact number) didn't know what 'Gundam' is, and never heard of the franchise.
Jul 9, 2015 1:54 PM

Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Agafin said:

EVA was a late night anime not shown in the day and mainstream like DBZ. An average Japanese salary man would quicker recognize DBZ or Dragon Ball than EVA.

It originally aired at 7:30 AM but actually became more popular when it was moved to 11:30 PM so that's not actually true.
The Evangelion movies are doing better than the DBZ movies so its fair to assume that it has more fans than DBZ atm at least.
http://www.someanithing.com/268
And it's rather hard to not at least know about Eva in Japan since there's like an Eva monument in several public places in Japan (like the Asuka's giant picture at the Tokyo (?) airport).
Jul 9, 2015 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:
An average Japanese salary man would quicker recognize DBZ than EVA.

Well that was random. Salary men usually read Seinen manga when they commute.

I also don't think many people realize that a good portion of the population of Japan are not familiar with anime/manga. There was a street survey in where 60% or more (I don't remember the exact number) didn't know what 'Gundam' is, and never heard of the franchise.
They do but they usually grew up with mainstream anime targeted at kids like Dragon Ball, Doraemon etc. Yeah there are people that don't know that anime itself isn't really mainstream in Japan.

Agafin said:
The Evangelion movies are doing better than the DBZ movies so its fair to assume that it has more fans than DBZ atm at least.
http://www.someanithing.com/268
And it's rather hard to not at least know about Eva in Japan since there's like an Eva monument in several public places in Japan (like the Asuka's giant picture at the Tokyo (?) airport).
Only one of the EVA movies has outgrossed Battle of Gods. It's hard not to know about it in Japan if you are an otaku. There being a monument doesn't mean most people know what it's of or representing.

The Japanese government actually helped fund Battle of Gods http://www.saiyanisland.com/2012/09/dragon-ball-z-2013-movie-receiving-government-funding/. Has any EVA movie received such funding?
DrGeroCreationJul 9, 2015 2:13 PM
Jul 9, 2015 2:26 PM

Oct 2014
An "asspull" encompasses everything from Deus Ex Machina, Diabolus Ex Machina and anything else that can be "Ex Machina".

It describes an element of a fictional story that gets introduced in the later part of the story that has a significant effect on the story, but was in no way hinted at at some point.

For me it's already NOT an asspull if there is even the slighest hint about the element in the earlier part of the story. Otherwise we would NEVER be able to experience genunine "surprises" in the later part of the story without it being considered "bad writing".
Grey-ZoneJul 9, 2015 3:25 PM
Jul 9, 2015 2:27 PM

Apr 2011
Is this an anti-naruto pro-bleach topic in disguise ?
Jul 9, 2015 2:50 PM

Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Only one of the EVA movies has outgrossed Battle of Gods. It's hard not to know about it in Japan if you are an otaku. There being a monument doesn't mean most people know what it's of or representing.

The Japanese government actually helped fund Battle of Gods http://www.saiyanisland.com/2012/09/dragon-ball-z-2013-movie-receiving-government-funding/. Has any EVA movie received such funding?

Eva 2.0 and 3.0 both outgrossed BoG in Japan. And worldwide 3.0 outgrossed it.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=evangelion3.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=dragonballz2014.htm
And that is my point.

Lol, Evangelion is mainstream, it's more popular than any Otaku anime can dream of being. Its movies have disc sales of around 900k, that's Ghibli/Disney level.

The government would fund Eva if it actually needed funding, what does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, I hope you can at least admit that calling Eva fans "hipsters" is bullshit.
Grey-Zone said:
An "asspull" encompasses everything from Deus Ex Machina, Diobolus Ex Machina and anything else that can be "Ex Machina".

It describes an element of a fictional story that gets introduced in the later part of the story that has a significant effect on the story, but was in no way hinted at at some point.

For me it's already NOT an asspull if there is even the slighest hint about the element in the earlier part of the story. Otherwise we would NEVER be able to experience genunine "surprises" in the later part of the story without it being considered "bad writing".

Yeah, just like I said earlier, Good foreshadowing=subtle foreshadowing (though not too vague). The twist should also make sense imo.
AgafinJul 9, 2015 2:55 PM
Jul 9, 2015 3:14 PM

Aug 2013
@Agafin You got me there but box office sales alone don't automatically mean it's mainstream.
Jul 9, 2015 3:49 PM
Mar 2013
When a character learns a new move in the middle of a fight, takes down the opponent with it, but then never uses that move ever again (I really hate when they do that).
Jul 9, 2015 5:53 PM

Mar 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
DBZ is supposed to be nothing but asspulls

Mostly the buu saga
Jul 9, 2015 5:58 PM

Aug 2013
MightyM16 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Mostly the buu saga
Only Old Kai being in the z sword and the fusion ability of the portara earrings to me count as asspulls in the Buu saga.
Jul 9, 2015 6:43 PM
Oct 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:

If a show is nothing but "asspulls" the very definition of asspull says that it isn't an asspull.
Jul 9, 2015 7:07 PM

Jun 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Takuan_Soho said:
If a show is nothing but "asspulls" the very definition of asspull says that it isn't an asspull.
Yea I'd say it's just ass.

It could be self-aware that it's ass.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 9, 2015 7:10 PM

Jun 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
YandereTheEmo said:
It could be self-aware that it's ass.
And that's fine. I love a work that's self-aware.

What's an ass without some brain?
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 9, 2015 7:20 PM

Feb 2015
When a plot twist isn't foreshadowed or lampshaded at all; particularly when it only occurs due to the introduction of a new rule or change in the rules of the show. The most common form of asspull is the protagonist getting a new power or ability out of nowhere - deus ex machina style.

i.e. in Yu-Gi-Oh! when Yami, out of nowhere, uses a new card that clones kuriboh perpetually, which allows him to auto-win because killing the clones doesn't affect his life points because that's an exception to the rules for no apparent reason.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jul 9, 2015 7:24 PM

Aug 2013
icirate said:
i.e. in Yu-Gi-Oh! when Yami, out of nowhere, uses a new card that clones kuriboh perpetually, which allows him to auto-win because killing the clones doesn't affect his life points because that's an exception to the rules for no apparent reason.
Yami Yugi cheated big time in that duel with Kaiba. Fusing a monster card with a trap card wtf?
Jul 9, 2015 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
Unlimited Blade Works
Jul 10, 2015 2:53 AM

Mar 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
icirate said:
Yami Yugi cheated big time in that duel with Kaiba. Fusing a monster card with a trap card wtf?
google gem-knight deck. it's literally have 2 traps card fusion. it used normaly after syncrho cards saga. well, i admit it thats not many cards can use it. but after quick play fusion release, this movements is normal to use. but yeah, in that era, it's asspull
KumaJul 10, 2015 3:25 AM
Jul 10, 2015 3:22 AM

Jan 2012
One important one that I haven't seen mentioned is.
Parasyte

I swear that's the part in the anime that immediately made me drop it's overall score.

Naruto ,Bleach , DBZ as everyone else has mentioned, and a lot of other generic shounen's.

Overall I see an ass-pull as something that the reader could not have possibly known prior to it happening , and that it's something so random that it doesn't fit in anywhere into the story.
It's something that the author put's in that only aims to cover up for bad/poorly planned writing.
Jul 10, 2015 3:37 AM

Dec 2012
Ephemer4l said:

Naruto

Examples?
Jul 10, 2015 3:59 AM

Sep 2014
I just think it's sad that so many authors seem to rather take the easy route and pulling an asspull rather than putting in some effort and do some well-intigrated foreshadowing. It's even more sad that they often succeed with it.

Zergneedsfood said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Yea I'd say it's just ass.

Accurate.
Jul 10, 2015 7:18 AM

Sep 2014
Mfw when I looked up the meaning of tfw. It's probably too late though but thanks for the advice. Maybe it isn't.
Jul 10, 2015 7:20 AM

Mar 2012
Pretty much every power in Naruto except Rasengan, Chidori, and Taijutsu
End Zionazism
Jul 10, 2015 7:22 AM

Nov 2014
Every episode of Naruto and Bleach.

Jul 10, 2015 7:29 AM

Mar 2015
For me asspulls are the entire second half of Sword art Online (first one was close to beeing an asspull) the entire second season of Sword art Online and the whole end of Naruto.

oh and pretty much everything in Bleach
Jul 10, 2015 7:35 AM
Mar 2015
According to this thread, Naruto is nothing but asspulls? I don't think I've spotted any yet but I'm just 19 episodes in.
Jul 10, 2015 7:39 AM

Apr 2013
Isaac_ said:
According to this thread, Naruto is nothing but asspulls? I don't think I've spotted any yet but I'm just 19 episodes in.

After watching the whole Naruto and 418 episodes of Shippuden, I still gotta spot one as well...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jul 10, 2015 7:41 AM

Dec 2012
_Raku_ said:
For me asspulls are the entire second half of Sword art Online (first one was close to beeing an asspull) the entire second season of Sword art Online and the whole end of Naruto.

oh and pretty much everything in Bleach

Saying everything about something is an asspull or the second half of it, contradicts the whole meaning of the word. Like how does that even makes sense.
Jul 10, 2015 7:42 AM

Jun 2014
geralt said:
Isaac_ said:

After watching the whole Naruto and 418 episodes of Shippuden, I still gotta spot one as well...

I only spotted one & it wasn't that serious.
Jul 10, 2015 7:45 AM

Jul 2013
What's the difference between an asspull and Deux ex Machina anyway?
Jul 10, 2015 7:48 AM

Mar 2012
Tenshi_Shura said:

Timing.

An asspull is just something out of nowhere, and makes no sense at all. Like Naruto's Sage Mode, or Cloak Mode,
if an asspull occurs at the last minute to save someone's life, it's a Deus Ex.

Alternatively, asspulls might not even need extra power, just the "power of friendship or will", case in point, Luffy beating Lucci just because he had to. There was to extra power, but it was an asspull all the same.
End Zionazism
Jul 10, 2015 7:48 AM

Mar 2012
A meaningless buzzword used by people who have a very limited vocabulary and aren't very good at criticism.
Jul 10, 2015 7:50 AM

Apr 2013
Mikasa said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

Timing.

An asspull is just something out of nowhere, and makes no sense at all. Like Naruto's Sage Mode, or Cloak Mode,

How does sage mode make no sense? Did you miss Jiraiya using it against Pain?
5. Is it actually good?

Jul 10, 2015 7:51 AM

Mar 2012
geralt said:
Mikasa said:

Timing.

geralt said:
Mikasa said:

Timing.

What does Jiraiya using it have to do with it not being an asspull?
End Zionazism
Jul 10, 2015 7:54 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
Like how does that even makes sense.

If someone considers that something like Sage Mode is an asspull, it makes sense that he would consider that almost everything is an asspull.
Jul 10, 2015 7:55 AM

Apr 2013
It was already introduced before Naruto learnt it. When he went through the training for it, he was just very skilled at it. How is it an asspull exactly?
5. Is it actually good?

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 40 minutes ago

11 by Shrimp_Tail »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 14 minutes ago

3 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 6 minutes ago

0 by Absurdo_N »»
6 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 2 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

40 by Ravex1 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.