Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 23, 2015 11:36 AM

Dec 2013
This anime is so awesome. Its so funny especially the opening. The girl is so like me >.<

Anyways, the brother is so awesome I wish I was like him lol.

Too cute.

5/5 so good.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Jul 23, 2015 7:19 PM

Jul 2009
She reminds me of Yukino (Karekano)! I liked it.
Jul 25, 2015 11:55 AM

Sep 2013
Not quite enjoyable with many short stories strung onto 1 ep. Btw Umaru-chan is too cute....
Jul 31, 2015 4:34 PM

May 2015
funny
Kono Giorno Giovana Niwa Yume Ga Aru
Aug 1, 2015 4:00 AM

Sep 2009
Kawaii as fuck.
Oh and best opening 2015
Aug 1, 2015 6:48 PM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
That crying for what she wants though LOL!

I like it really. Umaru is so cute.
Aug 3, 2015 9:06 AM

Jul 2007
She's a bit too selfish
Aug 9, 2015 3:29 AM

Oct 2009
This THIS! This is better than I expected! Q_Q!

Haha so gonna love watching this!
Aug 13, 2015 12:10 PM
Mar 2013
This was surprisingly enjoyable! I'm afraid it will become repetitive after a while, tho
Aug 13, 2015 12:15 PM
Aug 2015
umaru is quite cute girl :)
but i think this anime is too long for original manga.
Aug 14, 2015 6:59 AM

Jun 2014
not bad
Aug 17, 2015 4:57 PM

Nov 2013
Kirino 2.0 comes to mind.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Aug 17, 2015 5:06 PM

Nov 2013
bittersweetlove said:
She reminds me of Yukino (Karekano)! I liked it.

Except that Yukino is a nice girl and not a selfish brat.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Aug 26, 2015 11:43 AM

Feb 2014
It's impossible she'd be the top in class, a good pianist, fit despite eating all that junk food and having no time for exercise because she spends it all procrastinating.

Well, it's anime.. but still.
Aug 31, 2015 7:36 PM
Oct 2014
Well.... This is kind of weird and kind of funny...
Sep 6, 2015 5:17 AM
Jan 2015
I just can't stand the way the female lead is. A whiny, spoiled, lazy, childish character who gets whatever she wants from his brother via tantrums, and that despite not even touching the books gets a 100 on an exam. Everyone thinks she is perfect and the anime itself admits she has no flaws... Mary Sue red flags are being seen everywhere. Gonna drop it anyway.
Sep 7, 2015 4:52 AM

Nov 2012
This show was a big surprise for me, I normally hate cutesy Slice of Life shows and I hate spoiled brats even more which is why I completely looked past it at first glance but I really like the comedy and tone, the art /animation style is also nice and the many pop-culture references are nice easter eggs to look out for. Let's hope that this doesn't pull me into the dangerous abyss that is kawaii XD.
Sep 9, 2015 9:13 AM

Nov 2011
Start sympathetic but not too crackling, the comedy does not clash. in truth. The series reflects the standards of animation studio Doga Kobo, no surprise then. Drawings cute and animated well enough, fun blue-haired girl.
Sep 22, 2015 2:23 PM

Dec 2012
It's unrealistic to say the least, but I suppose that's how it was meant to be.
Overall, the anime is quite mediocre and nothing special in terms of comedy.
Sep 22, 2015 5:35 PM

Jul 2014
Umaru is love. Umaru is life.
Sep 24, 2015 10:14 AM
Jun 2014
Her crying almost made me scream.
Sep 25, 2015 6:59 AM

May 2012
The long awaited Umaru-chan! Pretty fun first episode, I do wonder what this anime will offer us but one thing is sure her brother sure has it hard!
Sep 28, 2015 9:44 PM

Apr 2013
The fuck.....how do you NOT have diabeetus?
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Oct 1, 2015 5:23 PM

Sep 2013
What a putrid beast
Oct 4, 2015 10:46 AM
Mar 2015
shy_imouto said:
I'm honestly surprised so many people are enjoying this. Umaru scores perfect marks on all her tests. She can play piano immaculately without practicing (no, typing does not count). She can swim faster than a swim club member. Everybody respects her and loves her. When she is asked how she does it, she merely brushes it off as "luck"...

I get that she's naturally gifted, but her "praise me" attitude just rubs me the wrong way. I like all the characters but her. Kind of hard to like this show when it revolves around her. Hopefully I can enjoy it once they get her characterization out of the way.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels that way. Otaku Umaru character designs were hilarious so i decided to give this anime a shot but... SERIOUSLY, DID WE NEED ANOTHER OREIMO? The main character is TWISTED, CONCEITED AND UTTERLY SPOILED. I was never a fan of shows where the protagonist is unrealistically perfect and gifted in every way. Her being perfect in everything without even trying and the way everyone stares at her (kids, elders - doesnt matter) is just too 'forced'. SHE IS NOT EVEN THAT DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER GIRLS. Tbh, i find her friend and blue-haired girl to be more attractive. Umaru on the other hand looks like a usual pretty girl without any special features. The theme itself is so cliche and character writing is devastatingly bad. Oreimo, on the other hand, had pretty good side characters. They were believable and there is nothing believable about this show. 16 YEAR OLD GIRL WHO ACTS LIKE SHE'S 5, TREATS HER BROTHER LIKE TRASH AND MANIPULATES EVERYONE AROUND HER IS THE DEFINITION OF CUTE?? Since when? -_- It would be better if Umaru the hamster and Umaru the schoolgirl were 2 different characters.
Oct 4, 2015 10:50 AM
Mar 2015
linchpin said:
It's hard to believe so many people hate this show here. Wow. How can you hate on a show like this? Are you some professional haters or what? Umaru is my IDOL OF THE SEASON. I wanna feed her chips while she's browsing wikis about herself.

If she was some sort of animal - yes. Other than that, its plain annoying.
Oct 4, 2015 11:09 AM
Mar 2015
Axernea said:
It's impossible she'd be the top in class, a good pianist, fit despite eating all that junk food and having no time for exercise because she spends it all procrastinating.

Well, it's anime.. but still.

I know, right? And there is nothing original about the story as well. Its almost like a bad rip-off of KareKano. Unlike Umaru, Miyadzawa actually had to work hard to get perfect grades and good looks. It was never granted easily and thats what is likeable about her. KareKano is a beautiful show with deep meaning and the transition between comedy, drama and romance is perfectly done so i highly recommend it. After watching just one episode of Himouto i have a feeling that the rest will be just as foolish and pointless. I might change my view later on but so far, i doubt so.
Oct 5, 2015 12:40 PM

Feb 2015
This anime is so fun! I can't believe I was just going to ignore it...
Oct 18, 2015 12:16 AM

Jan 2014
We created a live action short film of Himouto Umaru Chan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeBBPnNo6r4
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2015 9:40 PM

Mar 2008
Meh, I like it. I know Umaru is selfish and annoying but I can't hate on her.. Probably cause she doesn't even take herself seriously. I'm just going to treat this as a cute, comedy chibi-form anime and not get too hung up on the details.
Dec 29, 2015 3:25 PM
Feb 2015
I'm exactly the same as Humaru at home, why don't I get 100s at tests ? T_T
Mar 18, 2016 11:54 PM

Mar 2015
OP: Animation - 4.5/5, Song - 2.75/5

So this is the Umaru-chan everyone talking about. Her public form is good looking and her personality is likeable but when she turned to chibi form, her personality goes worst. :/
But her chibi form is kawaii though.

But...but, Ebina-chan is way more cuter than Umaru-chan <3
She is like Onodera from Nisekoi.

I noticed when Umaru is in school, there is a girl who stare Umaru from behind.

I wanna have a little sister just like Umaru not her chibi.

ED: Animation - 4.25/5, Song - 2.75/5

Episode: 3.9/5
Mar 19, 2016 9:56 PM
Jan 2016
I want to annihilate Umaru I hate her so much
Aug 27, 2016 2:41 PM

Oct 2012
dang, only one episode in and i'm gunna have to drop it. umaru-chan seems like a nice sweet girl at school, but i can't stand her personality switch when she's at home. i hate her and characters like her that bully and manipulate others to get their way.
Oct 30, 2016 1:41 PM

May 2016
I have seeing this aime gifs in a lot of places I wondered if it was good after seeing saw manny gifs And lazy umarus cute face I couldn't resist not to watch it finnaly I got some free time to watch it I really Love this anime great ep btw
Feb 11, 2017 11:38 AM
May 2014
I only watched the first episode and the plot seemed like it came straight out of 4chan. Dropped.
Apr 24, 2017 9:22 AM

Aug 2016
She was a bit annoying at first but turns out to be really cute

Set by SenpieX
Apr 28, 2017 7:30 AM
Feb 2017
Something about this just pisses me off to no end... Maybe I'm just a part of the fun police, but I hate almost everything about this.
I honestly don't know anymore.
May 17, 2017 9:09 PM

Jan 2017
Gdj_24 said:
Something about this just pisses me off to no end... Maybe I'm just a part of the fun police, but I hate almost everything about this.

I think when Umaru tries to be cutesy and innocent in her otaku form(and sometimes in her normal self) the result is she being a nuisance. Half the show is that.
May 19, 2017 7:09 AM
Dec 2009
The "double life" aspect reminds me of Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, although I feel like it was better done and more realistic there. As someone already in their 20s I find Umaru kind of painful to watch, I understand what it's like to be a total slob at home but her reliance on her brother is a little ridiculous. So far I just feel bad for him really... guess I'm a boring adult :P
Jul 10, 2017 10:29 AM
Jun 2017
I'm so thrilled to see Umaru so cute and adorable! ♥
Aug 19, 2017 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
Her brother is ok but Umaru is so annoying even if I love blonde characters, ugh.
"you dead" tho xddd

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Aug 27, 2017 2:50 PM

Jan 2010
Smart, athletic, cultured, cute, popular, kind, sparkly, and a lazy good-for-nothing otaku in her free time. Also a little sister. I'm reminded of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu a bit, but at least Himouto! Umaru-Chan is self-aware to an extent.

The cynic in me sees this as a show where you essentially have custody of a girlish product of the modern day, abstracted and moe-fied to where she acts more akin to a needy pet than a functioning member of society. Yet, she gets a pass because she's cute, and the show, which is aptly named after the titular character, powers the show through her antics and weirdness. This conflicts with the older brother (because older sisters are less popular or something), who tries to get Umaru to stop acting as she does, which, paradoxically, goes against the underlying structure of the show. It reminds me of Denpa Onna and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, where the driving point of the show - the weird main girl - is constantly being told to act normally. In a sense, these shows are trying to have their comical daily events and their drama bombs all in one package, which is extremely difficult to balance. That is, of course, assuming Himouto! Umaru-chan even goes down that route.

Or maybe it's just a cute show trying to do cute things.

I'm most likely overthinking things. I just want Himouto! Umaru-chan to stay true to being a slice of life comedy without trying to over extend itself. At least, that's my hope for the rest of the series. For now, it's inoffensive enough to let my minor qualms slide, so I'm curious to see what it has in store in future episodes.
Sep 11, 2017 10:27 AM

Aug 2013
Typical Doga Kobo. Awesome start.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 30, 2017 7:20 AM

Aug 2013
Smart, good at sports and beautiful turns into a lazy child. Fun start.

Oct 28, 2017 12:01 AM

Apr 2014
Well, that was something. The first five minutes and the OP did an impeccable job of setting the tone: "HERE BE CANCER". Chibi Umaru is a cancerous little thing (self-centered, spoiled, careless, manipulative, deceptive), but manages to be entertaining and captivating in the same manner as being unable to avert from observing a wreck unfold in a hilarious fashion for amusement. The episode didn't appear to take itself seriously for the most part, which was good and necessary as it helped me to tolerate and gloss over the otherwise horrid treatment of her brother. However, the scene near the end seemed to imply that there may be some sort of drama or sob story lurking in the background that has yet to be revealed, and I'm curious as to how the show will reconcile the two opposing moods should such a backstory exist. I'm hoping things will get crazier and they will just roll with it and not introduce any nontrivial amount of seriousness, but that remains to be seen.

As for the voices, I had initially intended to watch it subbed, but thought I'd try the dub. I felt that the voice actress for Umaru really nailed both the normal and chibi forms, but particularly the latter in excellently portraying an endearing but annoying little shitbag of a creature and really brought life to the character. The actor for her brother on the other hand sounded rather boring and subdued, but it appeared to fit adequately based on his lines.

Neutral on the ED, but I can see the OP being stuck in my head after a few episodes.
ZeroDragonOct 28, 2017 12:31 AM
Nov 12, 2017 7:13 PM

May 2013
I found an anime about my life. LOL. But instead of gaming per say, it's just anime and manga and movies xDDD

Loved all the One Piece cameos <33333333333 *O*
Nov 16, 2017 7:36 PM

Sep 2013
I have been wanting to watch this for some time now. Finally started up Episode 1, all ready to love it. But....I hated it! I was expecting cute and sweet and nice and all that. This frigging kid is a total shit though. She gets everything she wants and is spoiled rotten. She uses her brother and for some reason his codependent ass puts up with it. And she's worshiped by all the sycophantic kids at school and is admired by everyone who sees her walk down the street...but she's still a total shit. God, I completely hate her.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 11, 2018 7:31 PM

Jul 2013
This is the kind of show you'd watch after finishing shows like Death Note or School Days. Anyway, this is really not my kind of show to watch but I gave it a shot cause I've seen and enjoyed some SoL in the past and I'm watching this on Netflix I've seen this here for a while and I know it will be gone soon so I thought I wanna get most of what I'm paying and I sure am glad I did, I'm totally sure I'm gonna enjoy this. Umaru is living the life only I can dream of. Playing video games and watching anime all day, get high grades in academics without wasting a single second studying, good social life without so much socializing, eat junk food without getting fat, and all these things. Damn.
Mar 14, 2019 4:59 PM

Jun 2015
i feel like a degenerate watching this
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2015

103 by FranqitoH »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:28 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2015

220 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2015

95 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2015

112 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Himouto! Umaru-chan Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2015

110 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.