Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2015 3:33 PM

Aug 2013
Or is it too late for a brand new religion to begin and eventually grow into the worlds largest? I mean most religions followed were already set down way back when. Is the world too different/science driven now for a new one to show up? Only way I can see it happening is if the world banks collapse, everyone lives in slums and theres no hope. Would be a perfect place for a new religion preaching any kind of new rise/hope to gain followers and turn from a cult to a real religion.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 2015 3:39 PM

Jun 2014
The ONLY way a new religion can rise, and become excepted by younger, non-religious people, is if it doesn't prevent people from "Being Themselves."

I created "Dragonitsu" as a belief system to work in the modern world, with no sins, no dogma, no commandments, and no heaven or hell. Shinto was definitely an inspiration for it.

Jul 2018
Yup,the Church of DejWo.
Apr 2014
Well i did join a new religion for a month ago. We are gonna a have a party with Kool-Aid as drinks next week. I can't wait.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 5, 2015 3:41 PM

Aug 2013
Rakaxo said:
Well i did join a new religion for a month ago. We are gonna a have a party with Kool-Aid as drinks next week. I can't wait.

I thought they only had those parties when comets passed or something
Jul 5, 2015 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Rakaxo said:

Jul 5, 2015 3:42 PM
Jun 2015
I was raised Morman, so I think definitely yes.
Jul 5, 2015 3:47 PM

Nov 2008
Most of the new religions are cults which are bad especially Scientology.

Jul 5, 2015 3:53 PM

Nov 2013
The Church of Chin Chin
Jul 5, 2015 3:55 PM

Aug 2013
vonrox said:
well i see more and more atheists or agnostics proclaimed, they can unite their ideals and will form a religion

Atheism can never be a religion.
Jul 5, 2015 4:11 PM

Dec 2014
Yep. Half of the religions are just other religions with the pieces they don't like missing.
Jul 5, 2015 4:23 PM

Apr 2015

This man has a big potential to become a God in the future
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jul 5, 2015 4:57 PM
Jul 5, 2015 4:59 PM
Mar 2014
Isn't atheism the up and coming religious trend?
Jul 5, 2015 5:01 PM

Jan 2014
New ones can arise, but I don't see any rising to become the top one. Recent ones like humanism, militant anti-theism, equalism and such a gaining some ground though.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 5, 2015 5:02 PM

Jan 2015
Spooks_McBones said:
vonrox said:
well i see more and more atheists or agnostics proclaimed, they can unite their ideals and will form a religion

Atheism can never be a religion.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God-Building
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 5, 2015 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, it's still possible.
Jul 5, 2015 5:31 PM
Mar 2014
I don't see that happening.
Jul 5, 2015 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Lust said:
Jul 5, 2015 5:41 PM

Aug 2013
RedTie47 said:
Lust said:

This is casual discussion here, not twitter
Jul 5, 2015 6:37 PM

Mar 2008
Fastest growing religion is a bit of a deception because it changes depending on how the population is counted. Whether it is percentage population of the world increase, percentage of growth increase, population of members increase from birth count, number of new converts, exclusion or inclusion of de-converts, how the religions are grouped or separated, or any other way to count it. They are called New Religious Movements or NRM for short which means the same thing as cult without the negative connotations. All religions start as cults.

International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), AKA the Hare Krishna movement or Hare Krishnas, is a Gaudiya Vaishnava religious organisation that was founded in 1966 in New York City by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.. It has around 1 million followers.

Bahá'í Faith was founded by Bahá'u'lláh in 19th-century Persia. Has around 7 million adherents.

Tenrikyo (天理教), is a monotheistic, Shinto-derived new religion originating from the teachings of a 19th-century Japanese woman named Nakayama Miki, known to her followers as Oyasama. It has 1.75 million followers in Japan, and is estimated to have over 2 million worldwide

Neo-Pagan religions including Asatru, Neo-Druidism, and Kemetism among others, have an unknown number of followers but its around at least over 1-3 million. Considering they often are not organized it may be more.

The Church of Satan (Satanism) has unpublished numbers of members but it was founded in 1966 by Anton LaVey and still stands so it must be a decent amount to be around still.

Rastafari founded by Marcus Garvey in the slums of Jamaica in the 1920s and 30s has around 1 million followers

Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormonism) Founded by Joseph Smith, 1830, New York has 12 million followers.

Jehovas Witness founded by Charles Taze Russell, 1879, Pittsburgh has around 6 million followers

Spiritism started around the 1800s and has around 15 million

Falun Gong founded by Li Hongzhi in 1992 in China has 10 million

Cao Dai Founded in 1926, Vietnam by Ngo Van Chieu and others based on a séance. 4-6 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations
http://www.religionfacts.com/compare/religions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_religious_movements
traedJul 5, 2015 11:10 PM
Jul 5, 2015 7:13 PM

Aug 2013
RedTie47 said:
Lust said:

Jul 5, 2015 7:33 PM

Jan 2013
traed said:
Tenrikyo (天理教), is a monotheistic, Shinto-derived new religion originating from the teachings of a 19th-century Japanese woman named Nakayama Miki, known to her followers as Oyasama. It has 1.75 million followers in Japan, and is estimated to have over 2 million worldwide

I've been to a Tenrikyo religious gathering before. I was taking some karate lessons from a Tenrikyo school when I was in Japan, since they offered free lessons for foreigners. They had a group trip thing which combined religious activities, festival stuff and a karate tournament. One unusual thing about Tenrikyo is that they have animated mascots with voice acting and all that, and they typically placed these mascots somewhere in the festival-like activities.

Anyway I was a bit surprised when I learned that they were a new religion, usually you associate these newer things with evangelicalism but they never were particularly forceful in spreading their religion to us.
I don't have a signature.
Jul 5, 2015 7:57 PM

Mar 2015
There are already 2 new religions. The Media and the Internet. So yes.
Jul 5, 2015 8:09 PM

Jan 2009
Jul 5, 2015 8:42 PM

Jul 2012
Cults yes, a new dominating religion... hmm not so sure. Most religions began in a time where people didn't yet search for the explanation for things as miracles. Therefore they could mostly lean on only their beliefs. Now that we have science we are eager to explain everything in a logical way and its less likely that we would create some sort believe including supernatural statements.
Jul 5, 2015 9:04 PM

Jan 2013
Working_Designs said:
The ONLY way a new religion can rise, and become excepted by younger, non-religious people, is if it doesn't prevent people from "Being Themselves."

I created "Dragonitsu" as a belief system to work in the modern world, with no sins, no dogma, no commandments, and no heaven or hell. Shinto was definitely an inspiration for it.

How do I become a member?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2015 9:40 PM

Mar 2008
ixsetf said:
traed said:

I've been to a Tenrikyo religious gathering before. I was taking some karate lessons from a Tenrikyo school when I was in Japan, since they offered free lessons for foreigners. They had a group trip thing which combined religious activities, festival stuff and a karate tournament. One unusual thing about Tenrikyo is that they have animated mascots with voice acting and all that, and they typically placed these mascots somewhere in the festival-like activities.

Anyway I was a bit surprised when I learned that they were a new religion, usually you associate these newer things with evangelicalism but they never were particularly forceful in spreading their religion to us.

I would like to go to some gatherings like that some time of whatever smaller religion just to see what they are like.

They are not the only ones who use anime. Happy Science does it too. They have propoganda through anime. 6 films so far
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=happy%20science

http://www.vice.com/read/my-afternoon-with-a-failed-japanese-cult
Jul 5, 2015 10:59 PM

Feb 2015
Depends on what you call a religion.

I'd call equality-worship a religion. I think the following depiction of Saturn makes a good 'poster child' (no pun intended) for what Equality represents in the long run:

Perhaps we can simply call Saturn 'Equality' and treat it like a false God, and believers in Equality members of that religion.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jul 5, 2015 11:53 PM

Apr 2014
RedRoseFring said:
New ones can arise, but I don't see any rising to become the top one. Recent ones like humanism, militant anti-theism, equalism and such a gaining some ground though.

Those are all too weak to be religions. If anything, shouldn't Christians not want such flimsy ideas to be treated as religions? That's very self-deprecating, like, "well, atheism is a religion too [so it's just as bad]!"

As for me, I don't like those ideas except for humanism, but I consider that so vague and obvious an idea that it doesn't even count as a worldview.
Jul 5, 2015 11:56 PM

Jun 2008
Lol cults as you people put them are religions. They are being called cults because they are not recognized by the big religions or the state but in the end is just a belief system no different than religion.

vodall said:

Is like saying an empty glass is the new cool drink.
MonadJul 5, 2015 11:59 PM
Jul 5, 2015 11:59 PM

Feb 2015
Monad said:
vodall said:

Not a bad way of putting it. It is the 'cool new drink', but people will get thirsty and need to find something else.

Jul 6, 2015 12:16 AM

Aug 2013
icirate said:
Monad said:

Not a bad way of putting it. It is the 'cool new drink', but people will get thirsty and need to find something else.

I think its because Atheism is by definition lack of religion, to make something thats defined as a lack of religion into religion means its not atheism, its a juxtaposition.
Jul 6, 2015 12:18 AM

Feb 2015
New religion called consumerism has been founded.
Jul 6, 2015 12:20 AM

Aug 2013
Monstrum said:
New religion called consumerism has been founded.

Jul 6, 2015 12:22 AM

Feb 2015
Spooks_McBones said:
icirate said:

I think its because Atheism is by definition lack of religion, to make something thats defined as a lack of religion into religion means its not atheism, its a juxtaposition.

Well, atheism isn't defined as a lack of religion, but a lack of belief in Gods. A belief in a Godless universe can't in and of itself be a religion, because you can be an atheist and still be a follower of one of a whole bunch of Godless religions. I just chose to interpret what Monad wrote from another angle to show it to be an ironically good metaphor.

Jul 6, 2015 12:22 AM

Jun 2014
Cults will never succeed in this day and age.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 6, 2015 12:23 AM

Jun 2014
Math is a religion!

1+1=2, how does it happen?! Why 2? Why does adding stuff increase value?! No one knows, but you need faith and to believe in arithmetic to ease your mind.
Jul 6, 2015 12:24 AM

Apr 2013
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Cults will never succeed in this day and age.

I beg to differ.

Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Jul 6, 2015 1:20 AM

Jun 2015
Well Christianity is somewhat based on Judaism and still it counts as an own religion. Today if something like that would happen we would probably just call it a sect or a variant
Jul 6, 2015 1:24 AM

Jun 2015
New age is like a new religion, but it's still just called conception of life
Jul 6, 2015 1:39 AM

Dec 2013
Unitology is creepy as hell.

Anyways, maybe? You're asking us to basically predict belief. Which is if not impossible, highly difficult. But based on gut instinct I'm gonna say. It is possible.
Jul 6, 2015 1:41 AM

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:
Most of the new religions are cults which are bad especially Scientology.
Eh, just about every religion has had it's fair share of corruption. Although I think Scientology is hilariously dumb, we can't forget that other religions used to do "cult" shit.
Jul 6, 2015 1:44 AM

Jun 2014
If the world undergoes major destruction then I could see religion growing again
Jul 6, 2015 2:43 AM
May 2009
New religions can be created.
Difference is while it be big enough to get tax exempt status.
Jul 6, 2015 6:02 AM

Jun 2014
Thebigofan said:
Working_Designs said:

How do I become a member?

You simply declare that you are, that's it.

Dragonitsu revolves around the worship of 11 Major Dragons that maintain the elements of the world. Perhaps I should start a club explaining everything about this some time.

Jul 6, 2015 6:06 AM

Mar 2014
I hope not
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 6, 2015 6:41 AM

Jul 2014
With the advent of science it is very hard to do so. The only reason religion exists is because the predominant ones were founded in a time when humans lacked the technology and expertise to discover how the world worked and how everything came to be. Relatively new religions have a tendency to be treated as a joke (eg: The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Scientology etc).
LoveLikeBloodJul 6, 2015 7:04 AM
Take care of yourself

Jul 6, 2015 11:41 AM

Jan 2014
razortongue said:
With the advent of science it is very hard to do so. The only reason religion exists is because the predominant ones were founded in a time when humans lacked the technology and expertise to discover how the world worked and how everything came to be. Relatively new religions have a tendency to be treated as a joke (eg: The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Scientology etc).

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a joke. A bland one, but still a joke.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 6, 2015 11:43 AM

Oct 2013
Unlikely
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

6 by cotetowemixx »»
30 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 2 hours ago

1 by Hikinekomori »»
2 hours ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 11 hours ago

19 by MalchikRepaid »»
2 hours ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

23 by Lost_Viking »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 8 hours ago

11 by Lost_Viking »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.