Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2015 10:35 PM

Feb 2014
Stupid pointless unproductive complaint I made when I was an ignorant teenager LMAO. Please ignore this thread. The complaint is just dumb. Do not partake in dumb threads like this either.
BurtCadOct 25, 2020 10:50 PM
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Jul 3, 2015 10:48 PM

Jun 2012
Rocksterrock said:
I don't wanna be that guy but like... THIS DUDE REALLY BOTHERS ME.
This show seems alright so far but the one thing I can't get past is the fact this guy is actually a guy. Like what.

In anime, there are prepubescent boys so I guess that would be understandable with the feminine voice, I can deal with that BUT NO, gotta make him into a full blown trap. If he was a girl sure I'd be fine with how he looks but literally the entire first ep I was hoping they would reveal that he's actually a girl but they made it pretty clear that he's a guy.

This bothered me so much I had to rant about it on a forum. Am I the only one bothered by this? Am I weird for being bothered by this?

Yeah that shit bothered me in Ass class too.
It doesnt help that hes acting like an autist too.
Jul 3, 2015 11:12 PM

Nov 2012
i don't really care that he's a trap. imo it's more annoying that he's like "i'm accused of being a murderer of my homeroom teacher... who was a murderer too? LOL SOUNDS INTERESTING AND FUN"
Jul 3, 2015 11:15 PM

Jan 2011
You aren't wrong. It will probably end up being a major reason why this gets dropped by a lot of people including myself. "He" is a full blown trap and they aren't even trying to overlook it or be cute about it, in fact they are accentuating every female characteristic while dropping dialogue to support "his" gender. Simply put, it's annoying to view.

I could easily overlook the trap dynamic as it doesn't really perterb me but there was really nothing else to like about the show to take focus away from that fact.
IZEROIIJul 3, 2015 11:20 PM
Jul 3, 2015 11:54 PM

Apr 2015
They really have to emphasize that

Kobayashi
Boy, 13

And my initial reaction?

RPSB9Jul 3, 2015 11:59 PM
#CHEXIT
Jul 4, 2015 12:41 AM

Mar 2009
honestly, I thought it was very obvious, even before the show aired. the reaction to koyabashi being a boy is a bit hilarious and overblown. anyway koyabashi is interesting, I like the idea of getting a character who feels very detached and not interested in much having this spark his interest rather than the standard we'd get in this scenario. idk, he's a unique kid who we usually wouldn't get in the protag role. I never expected something super complex from this show, esp from this director, but kobayashi's a unique type that is the show's saving grace for me.
Jul 4, 2015 12:56 AM

Apr 2013
Well, people dropping this show for a shallow reason like the main character resembling a female is pretty sad and they're gonna miss out. There's lots of feminine guys out there in reality lol, just get over it and watch the show.
Jul 4, 2015 1:29 AM

Jul 2007
ITT Homophobia.
Jul 4, 2015 2:31 AM

Sep 2009
well i do think she he has such a cute voice :3 nothing annoying about him for me.
VargnattJul 4, 2015 3:04 AM

Jul 4, 2015 2:39 AM
Mar 2011
It's not something that bothers me, but I think they could have made a little better design, like his knees seem to be a little too thin.
Jul 4, 2015 3:52 AM

May 2014
Honestly I don't understand why people overreact over the fact that Kobayashi is a dude. His character is much more interesting beyond 'I look like a girl and sound like a gir but I'm a boy lol'
The fact that he found his teacher's murder interesting is pretty much a sign that he isn't your normal middle school student. He is dissatisfied with his normal life and he wants an adventure like in the books he read. And he is excited when bad things happen to him, like when he was blamed for his teacher's murder, showing that he didn't think like a normal person. Seriously guys, there's a lot more of Kobayashi than just 'he's a trap!' There's a lot of girly looking boys in anime out there.

Jul 4, 2015 5:23 AM

May 2009
Kobayashi is based on Yoshio Kobayashi, character from Edogawa's books. He is described as androgynous in his works.
Jul 4, 2015 9:27 AM
Apr 2013
yeah it bothers me too he looks exactly like a girl, i mean look at the body and his personality is also a big turn off
Jul 4, 2015 3:42 PM

Dec 2013
Avra said:
yeah it bothers me too he looks exactly like a girl, i mean look at the body and his personality is also a big turn off
Jul 5, 2015 1:11 PM

Jul 2014
silverwalls said:
i don't really care that he's a trap. imo it's more annoying that he's like "i'm accused of being a murderer of my homeroom teacher... who was a murderer too? LOL SOUNDS INTERESTING AND FUN"

Yeah, this, as much as drawing a girl and calling it a boy and giving it a voice actress and still calling it a guy is, what is really annoying is how the characters in the show don't act at all like normal humans would, none of them. When you have no one acting like a normal human you've completely destroyed your story. You literally have nothing, it's just random crap on the screen or some alien drama. This extends to the police whose arrest at the end of the show made no sense either.
Jul 5, 2015 2:24 PM
May 2015
Sokah said:
silverwalls said:

Yeah, this, as much as drawing a girl and calling it a boy and giving it a voice actress and still calling it a guy is, what is really annoying is how the characters in the show don't act at all like normal humans would, none of them. When you have no one acting like a normal human you've completely destroyed your story. You literally have nothing, it's just random crap on the screen or some alien drama. This extends to the police whose arrest at the end of the show made no sense either.

I don't think you guys understand it at all, this is the type of stuff Kobayashi enjoys. Difficult mysteries are what he enjoys the most. Also, Sokah, all you've done is complain about how no one has acted like a normal human. Did you notice how all but 2 students talked with Kobayashi? in fact, Hashiba had to reassure some students that Kobayashi wasn't the murderer after the whole class went silent as he entered the class. Let's not forget about Kagami and Nakamura, detectives who have differing views on the case (at least until Akechi gets Kobayashi arrested), they're reacting to this case just as a detective should.
Jul 5, 2015 4:20 PM

Dec 2012
I think some of you guys are watching the wrong anime and should go for Aoharu X Kikanjuu where the MC is a girl instead of a boy. I will continue watching Ranpo.
Jul 5, 2015 6:26 PM

Aug 2013
I honestly don't care if Kobayashi is a trap. It doesn't bother me at all, in fact Kobayashi is going to be the new Hideyoshi from Baka and Test in my opinion.
Jul 6, 2015 5:13 AM

Jul 2007
Sokah said:
silverwalls said:

<<--- Point
--->>> You
Jul 7, 2015 6:54 AM

Nov 2010
Nordavind said:
well i do think she he has such a cute voice :3 nothing annoying about him for me.
Lol, careful there, you don't want your husbando to get jealous.
Jul 9, 2015 2:15 PM

Apr 2015
I honestly don't care if Kobayashi is a trap. It doesn't bother me at all, in fact Kobayashi is going to be the new Hideyoshi from Baka and Test in my opinion.

Not even on the level of Hdeyoshi's feet. I'll sleep with Hideyoshi, but not with this one. ^_^
#CHEXIT
Jul 9, 2015 5:40 PM

Aug 2013
Imeon said:

Not even on the level of Hdeyoshi's feet. I'll sleep with Hideyoshi, but not with this one. ^_^

Of course, Hideyoshi is one of the best trap characters I seen any anime. After watching two seasons of Baka and Test I actually don't care if Hideyoshi is either a boy or girl. What I meant was that I have to keep telling myself that Kobayashi is boy and not girl. Ranpo Kitan is only have two episodes and so far I can't seem to like Kobayashi. Hopefully the anime gets better in future episodes.
Jul 9, 2015 7:04 PM

Jan 2015
I don't know why he being a trap gets so much hate, it's not like who's watching has to make out with him (joke). People go overboard just because a male mc "doesn't act like a man"... it's just an anime, no need to feel offended, too bad there's still too little acceptance of differences. If one's gonna drop the show at least do it because it might end up being poorly written, not because a characteristic.
Jul 9, 2015 8:58 PM
Oct 2012
neko_cola said:
I don't know why he being a trap gets so much hate.

To give the haters some credit, if this were a completely original story, then having the lead character be a trap would seem to be pandering on the part of the writer. No one wants to be preached to. Having Bruce Jenner's pathetic mental illness (and yes, in his case it is an illness, his "idea" of a woman is a male ideal, not a female's ideal) being shoved down our throats as being "healthy" is enough to disgust anyone. (Off the subject, but I remember watching a Japanese tv show in 1993 which had 100 foreign impersonators. What really shocked me was that 99 of them were exactly the same type (they all wanted to be Marilyn Monroe). There was 1 British impersonator that didn't try to be a robot and actually looked like a normal woman, with a little bit of chunk and not the exact same platinum blonde). It was then I realized that I didn't have an issue with different people, I had an issue with "different" people acting the exact same way).

The problem, in this instance, is that this is not an attempt to capitalize on the latest PC fetish, but speaks to a 70 year old question in Japanese literature.
Jul 10, 2015 12:31 AM

Jul 2011
Shuhan said:
Rocksterrock said:
This show seems alright so far but the one thing I can't get past is the fact this guy is actually a guy. Like what.

In anime, there are prepubescent boys so I guess that would be understandable with the feminine voice, I can deal with that BUT NO, gotta make him into a full blown trap. If he was a girl sure I'd be fine with how he looks but literally the entire first ep I was hoping they would reveal that he's actually a girl but they made it pretty clear that he's a guy.

This bothered me so much I had to rant about it on a forum. Am I the only one bothered by this? Am I weird for being bothered by this?

it's funny because you sound like you're using it offensively, but tecnically he IS autistic... or something like that anyway.

also i feel like there is no reason anymore to keep thinking kobayashi is a boy, everyone treats him as a girl, he has a body, face, and way to talk and act of girl, and so and so on, really, the plot would even go much much smoother if he was simply a girl(oh yeah sure the teacher that tried to cheat on his girlfriend because he got infatuated with the girl that is a ctually a guy... yeah).

i'm not even going anymore to try and remind myself he's a guy, we won't see him naked(i hope...?) anyway, so what does it matter?
Jul 10, 2015 12:51 AM
Mar 2011
kataklism said:

also i feel like there is no reason anymore to keep thinking kobayashi is a boy, everyone treats him as a girl, he has a body, face, and way to talk and act of girl, and so and so on

I don't think that he acts as a girl nor that he 's treated as a girl. It is for me hard to imagine a girl acting this way, it would be a bit a weird and deranged girl.

The fact that he looks a little bit more feminine than he should, it's just a stylistic exaggeration. A little bit like huge eyes, or tiny noses and mouths. It reminds me of some Egyptian pictures and statues which represented the king with almost a female body, but no one would say that he was considered or considered himself as a woman.
Jul 10, 2015 1:33 AM

Jul 2012
Is the 13 year old, prepubescent boy not masculine enough for you guys?
Jul 10, 2015 1:44 AM

Jul 2015
I dont really care Kobayashi is boy or girl. Main problem is his/her personality. I just cannot imagine any sane or mentally healt character who is so happy when he's accused of murder and seen furniture made from human body parts.
Jul 10, 2015 3:04 AM
Jul 2018
Them curves.
Jul 10, 2015 6:14 AM

Jul 2011
PetalBlizzard said:

it's not that he's too masculine, it's that he's too feminine, a 13 year old boy shouldn't look like neither, but here you get this

https://zakitakubu.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/key.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop=1

dat ass, like seriously, you can't ignore dat, a male person shouldn't have such anatomy unless they had some sort of physical problem(which though might not be so weird considering how fucked up mentally he is)
Jul 10, 2015 1:15 PM
Jan 2011
Rocksterrock said:

You are not alone comrade! I too was lost. I mean WTF?
Jul 10, 2015 4:24 PM
Oct 2012
KanameFujiwara said:
Rocksterrock said:

You are not alone comrade! I too was lost. I mean WTF?

Not weird, but this is fiction, can't you enjoy something bizarre in fiction that you may not like in real life?

I don't want to have a nameless deity suck my eyeballs out through my nostrils in real life, but I sure as hell can enjoy reading about it.

And stick around, if you are disturbed now, wait and see what he has in store for you.....
Jul 10, 2015 4:27 PM

Jun 2009
I can accept if his voice is girly and his pretty face but look at his body curve and ass. There is no way a boy will look like that. That's clearly a girl's body. Is this some kind of new trend in anime for bishounen?
Jul 10, 2015 6:48 PM

Dec 2012
not bothered by those delicious curves in the least

more bothered by the fact that he's some kind of budding sociopath
kleinchenJul 10, 2015 6:51 PM
Jul 10, 2015 7:18 PM
Oct 2014
I'm really enjoying his character and looks so far c:
Jul 10, 2015 7:29 PM
Oct 2012
kleinchen said:
more bothered by the fact that he's some kind of budding sociopath

Ah, but isn't that the real hook? This show wouldn't have half the potential it has if it were otherwise. He is a detective that can catch psychopaths because he is more psychotic than they are.

They made this point clear this episode when Hoshino achieved peace by understanding the reason the teacher "fell" for Kobayashi was because Kobayashi understood the teacher in a way Hoshino could not. She could have only offered acceptance (and she would have gladly accepted "chairification"), Kobayashi could have offered understanding.

In a perverse way, she recognized that Kobayashi truly "loved" the teacher (in that truly understanding the "other" is the definition of love), and because of this her jealousy vanished. She recognized that Kobayashi was a peer, not a rival (of course as the world's greatest troll, Kobayashi could have cared less, once he understands he loses interest).

That is how sick and twisted this show is. God bless it. Bring on the sicker and more twisted.
Sep 9, 2015 8:30 AM

Apr 2014
kataklism said:
PetalBlizzard said:

it's not that he's too masculine, it's that he's too feminine, a 13 year old boy shouldn't look like neither, but here you get this

dat ass, like seriously, you can't ignore dat, a male person shouldn't have such anatomy unless they had some sort of physical problem(which though might not be so weird considering how fucked up mentally he is)
Are you complaining about a nice ass?

You people are all confusing. Who really cares about gender? It's an animated character. If it's cute and hot, then you can find it cute and hot. No need to feel uncomfortable because you're not used to it.
Sep 9, 2015 9:27 AM

Jul 2011
Hongu said:
kataklism said:

You people are all confusing. Who really cares about gender? It's an animated character. If it's cute and hot, then you can find it cute and hot. No need to feel uncomfortable because you're not used to it.

following your theory we shouldn't even make difference between kids and lolis, i can be a lolicon, i can't be a pedo, that'd make me go to jail to a good number of countries, there needs to be difference and clarity in gender, ages, and therms.

just as a trans isn't at all means biseaxual and a an androginous gay, as well as a kid isn't a loli.... there has to be a clear definition of everything, or we'd go to jail, as well as feel bad about ourselves.

tl;dr
leave the ass of kobayashi for gender-bended pics, and only if you have 15 years or less.
Sep 9, 2015 11:16 AM

Apr 2014
kataklism said:
Hongu said:

following your theory we shouldn't even make difference between kids and lolis, i can be a lolicon, i can't be a pedo, that'd make me go to jail to a good number of countries, there needs to be difference and clarity in gender, ages, and therms.

just as a trans isn't at all means biseaxual and a an androginous gay, as well as a kid isn't a loli.... there has to be a clear definition of everything, or we'd go to jail, as well as feel bad about ourselves.

tl;dr
leave the ass of kobayashi for gender-bended pics, and only if you have 15 years or less.
You do realize you're a fan of anime, one of the most disgusting, controversial, sexual, and bizarre mediums of media in the world?
Confusing your dick is something that it does on a daily basis. It takes pride in blurring the lines between right and wrong, male and female, adult or kid. If you think anime should conform to the laws of real life then I have very bad news for you, because barely any do.
They do this shit on purpose, to awaken fetishes in people that they never knew they had.
Anime is inherently weird and at times uncomfortable, but that's part of its charm.

If a simple trap is too much for you to handle, then I'm not sure this medium is for you. At least, when watching it you should drop all morals and just act upon instinct, because if you don't then you must get offended at anime quite often.
Sep 10, 2015 2:04 PM

Mar 2013
I can't believe what a fuss people make because of Kobayashi's gender. You're talking like he's the first trap ever in anime.
Oh my God, I have never seen something like that, so impressive, a guy that looks like a girl!!!!!!!
Bullshit. If a guy that looks a lot like a girl confuses and bothers you that much, you may not be the straight guy you always say you are. Shut the fuck up once and for all.
Sep 11, 2015 7:21 AM

Dec 2012
i'm only bothered that he acts like a retard tbh
i wouldn't mind if he dies in the final episode
Sep 11, 2015 4:57 PM

Apr 2011
I just let myself believe that Kobayashi is a girl every episode I watch, and then I won't bother myself with it either, because otherwise it'd just get too obscure and fetishized. The gender isn't relevant to the story anyway.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Sep 18, 2015 12:16 PM

Jul 2012
honestly I couldn't care less if he's a trap or act like a girl (or even more feminine than one) most of the time but I can't take his personality... I'm just glad the last episodes were focused on Akechi and barely had any Kobayashi *sigh*
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Oct 8, 2015 5:36 AM

Nov 2013
kataklism said:
Shuhan said:

it's funny because you sound like you're using it offensively, but tecnically he IS autistic... or something like that anyway.

also i feel like there is no reason anymore to keep thinking kobayashi is a boy, everyone treats him as a girl, he has a body, face, and way to talk and act of girl, and so and so on, really, the plot would even go much much smoother if he was simply a girl(oh yeah sure the teacher that tried to cheat on his girlfriend because he got infatuated with the girl that is a ctually a guy... yeah).

i'm not even going anymore to try and remind myself he's a guy, we won't see him naked(i hope...?) anyway, so what does it matter?

Stop using the word autist, if you don't even know what being autistic means. Autist ≠ Sociopath/Psychopath.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 8, 2015 10:04 AM

Jul 2011
TheBigGuy said:
kataklism said:

Stop using the word autist, if you don't even know what being autistic means. Autist ≠ Sociopath/Psychopath.

i've been diagnozed with it, so if you don't mind, i'll keep using the term when i feel like it fits, i am with you about people who use it as an insult anyway.
Oct 8, 2015 10:21 AM
Oct 2012
kataklism said:
i've been diagnozed with it, so if you don't mind, i'll keep using the term when i feel like it fits, i am with you about people who use it as an insult anyway.

It doesn't matter if you have been diagnosed with it, you are using it wrong. Kobayashi is not autistic. He has no issues with social interaction, no communication problems, he does nothing repetitive. There is nothing to suggest that he has problems when he cares with communicating with people. The issue is that he doesn't care, he appears to lack empathy with other people (i.e. he really doesn't notice how his actions effects others and shows no sympathy to the misfortune of others). This would be a symptom of Socio/Psychopathic behavior, not autism.

That said, I think people (and the APA) throw around psychological categorizations far too readily and mistakenly. Just because someone doesn't follow societal norms does not mean that they have a psychological disorder.
Oct 8, 2015 7:26 PM

Nov 2013
kataklism said:

Of course I don't mind, that you use the term. Also Takuan_Soho is right about the incorrect use of psychological categorizations. There is only the first episode of Sakurako-san and some people already claim, that she is autistic or insane.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 8, 2015 7:45 PM

Sep 2012
Ah, the insane incomprehensible ramblings of virgins who are frustrated that they're sexually attracted to an underage cartoon, but won't let themselves masturbate to it for fear of being called gay.

Hilarious every time.

kataklism said:
PetalBlizzard said:

https://zakitakubu.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/key.jpg?w=350&amp;h=200&amp;crop=1

It might do you some good to leave your room once in a while, and actually interact with other human beings.
Oct 9, 2015 7:11 PM
Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
It might do you some good to leave your room once in a while, and actually interact with other human beings.

Having interacted with 1,000s of people from around the world, I honestly have to say that personal interaction is highly overrated.
Sep 6, 2016 7:04 AM
Mar 2015
I am not gay, but I would fuck him (her). No questions.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.