Forum Settings
Forums
New
Has fan service gotten a bit out of hand?
Jul 2, 2015 2:14 PM

Oct 2014
I have been watching anime for over 20 years now, and one trend that just won't die is the increase in fan service. I now use it to determine whether an anime is worth bothering with at all rather than watching it properly. It seems that the creator knows that there anime is either poor quality or generic cookie cutter that they spice things up to improve dvd and figurine sells.

What do you lot think?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 2, 2015 2:16 PM

Dec 2012
kidanime3d said:

What do you lot think?

I think I'm getting tried of the same generic cookie cutter fanservice bitching threads.
Jul 2, 2015 2:17 PM
Nov 2014
CUZ BOOBS AND PLOT

Mar 2014
I agree, boobs.

Oct 2014
tsudecimo said:
kidanime3d said:

What do you lot think?

I think I'm getting tried of the same generic cookie cutter fanservice bitching threads.

I am new, and didn't bother to lurk. Are they common?
Jul 2, 2015 2:18 PM

Feb 2015
Yeah, there's too much fanservice. I stick with anime made before 1980s because of it.

Dec 2013
Well like Denpa kyoushi's mc put it. "The top brass don't understand this" it's not the manga/anime's fault per se. But to make it marketable they need to put some fool proof material for the target demographic.

Jun 2014
Don't watch anything that has an ecchi tag it's that simple.
Jul 2, 2015 2:19 PM

Jul 2014
kidanime3d said:
and one trend that just won't die is the increase in fan service.

Good.
Jul 2, 2015 2:19 PM

Jan 2015
babymimi said:

Aye. There are plenty of good anime that aren't excessive in ecchi.
Jul 2, 2015 2:20 PM

Dec 2013
babymimi said:

Except that it's not. Fanservice isn't just ecchi
Jul 2, 2015 2:21 PM

Nov 2008
Import anime and merchandise (if possible) to get the series you want.

and no it hasn't, it's bad Ln adaptations that are out of hand.

Jul 2, 2015 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
MrHawkeye said:
babymimi said:

But do you really think OP is talking about non-ecchi fanservice?
Jul 2, 2015 2:22 PM

Jun 2014
MrHawkeye said:
babymimi said:

Assuming OP is complaining about boobs
Jul 2, 2015 2:23 PM

Apr 2015
Outside of the Ecchi Genre, fanservice Is bad 99% of the time.
Jul 2, 2015 2:25 PM

Feb 2015
How Original.

Jul 2, 2015 2:26 PM

Dec 2013
babymimi said:
MrHawkeye said:

Assuming OP is complaining about boobs

Fair enough. But any fanservice is bad to the shows they're in.
Jul 2, 2015 2:27 PM

Oct 2014
Hoppy said:
Import anime and merchandise (if possible) to get the series you want.

and no it hasn't, it's bad Ln adaptations that are out of hand.

DrCoppelius said:
MrHawkeye said:

Actually I am. I am talking about boob increases, 'strategically ripped' clothes, ttt harems that get in the way of storylines.

Ecchis are easy enough to avoid.
Jul 2, 2015 2:33 PM

Dec 2013
I have my victory wahahaah. The beach episodes are the worst.
Jul 2, 2015 2:34 PM

Oct 2014
listbot said:
Danmachi and Saekano are generic but also quite good. Both have fan service but not going to far. The other part to appreciate apart from the percentage of surface area exposed is the character themselves: arts, voices, acting and the scripts. Generic stuff can have good conversations too while the plot is being re-used.

I found Danmachi boring TBH, there wasn't anything there to keep me interested. Plus having already watched tower of druaga, SAO, Ragnarok, and Log Horizon among others; the story gave me deja vu.
Jul 2, 2015 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
kidanime3d said:
DrCoppelius said:

Actually I am. I am talking about boob increases, 'strategically ripped' clothes, ttt harems that get in the way of storylines.

You misunderstand. Ecchi in this context doesn't mean the genre, it means sexual fanservice. We were discussing whether you were complaining about fanservice as a whole (anything that caters to fans whilst not really being useful to the show, like for instance yaoi bait or unnecessarily drawn-out action), or about sexual fanservice specifically. We're just weebs so we're using the word ecchi.

At least I think that's what was going on in this discussion. Forgive me if I too misunderstood.

But anyway, you saying that just confirms my speculations.
Jul 2, 2015 2:45 PM

Oct 2014
DrCoppelius said:
kidanime3d said:

You misunderstand. Ecchi in this context doesn't mean the genre, it means sexual fanservice. We were discussing whether you were complaining about fanservice as a whole (anything that caters to fans whilst not really being useful to the show, like for instance yaoi bait or unnecessarily drawn-out action), or about sexual fanservice specifically. We're just weebs so we're using the word ecchi.

At least I think that's what was going on in this discussion. Forgive me if I too misunderstood.

But anyway, you saying that just confirms my speculations.

Yes, fanservice as a whole.
Jul 2, 2015 2:53 PM

Apr 2015
That's what I hate about some of the Anime nowadays. It just shows that the anime has nothing interesting to offer so to keep the audience entertained, they add fanservice. I'm perfectly fine with some fanservice, as long as it doesn't become the main attraction of the anime.

I liked FT's first season but I can't seem to get interested in second one, its just fanservice with little plot. Anime of high quality doesn't need to keep putting ecchi scenes one after another, they reply on plot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2015 2:54 PM
Jul 2013
Maybe we're getting fed up over stereotypes.
Like the boy that sudendly lose all equilibrium to end both hand on a girl's boobs.

The harem tends to be more present also... and i can't handle harem xD It pisses me off. I do not mind a little harem, either i do not mind an harem in an anime made for this as nisekoi.

Sidonia no kishi is my exemple of a developing harem which is totally useless. I really hope it will not go any further in Sidonia. (hopesssss)
Jul 2, 2015 2:57 PM

Oct 2014
Allussante said:
Maybe we're getting fed up over stereotypes.
Like the boy that sudendly lose all equilibrium to end both hand on a girl's boobs.

The harem tends to be more present also... and i can't handle harem xD It pisses me off. I do not mind a little harem, either i do not mind an harem in an anime made for this as nisekoi.

Sidonia no kishi is my exemple of a developing harem which is totally useless. I really hope it will not go any further in Sidonia. (hopesssss)

My thoughts exactly Sidonia no kishi is currently waving the flag for a pointless harem. Series 1 was great without it.
Jul 2, 2015 2:58 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If timed properly it's good. Good ecchi is rare to come by but incredibly entertaining

Real problem is how many series there are which just slap on fanservice on top of themselves without any sense of timing whatsoever, which does nothing but distract from the story
Jul 2, 2015 3:03 PM
Feb 2011
HaXXspetten said:
If timed properly it's good. Good ecchi is rare to come by but incredibly entertaining

Real problem is how many series there are which just slap on fanservice on top of themselves without any sense of timing whatsoever, which does nothing but distract from the story

this man knows it
Jul 2, 2015 3:04 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Guess I can quote myself from a different thread, more or less the same discussion:
HaXXspetten said:
SweetMonia said:
Are you into ecchi? If so, what makes you like it so much?
Well.. honestly I watch essentially all genres of anime other than yaoi so yeah sure I watch ecchi too. "Like it so much" however might be an exaggeration, because in reality... the vast majority of all ecchi anime utilizes said ecchi elements in very immature and stupid ways that only makes you roll your eyes. However that doesn't mean good ecchi doesn't exist, and when it's actually done right then it can be very enjoyable.

In my mind there are three ways you can make ecchi good. One is to use it for pure comedy by using it for sex jokes and similar (like Seitokai Yakuindomo or B Gata H Kei). The second is to use it as a supporting element for romance in order to make it more realistic. Sadly this part is very rare to find in anime but it's not rare at all in ecchi/romance manga (Suzuka, Ichigo 100% etc) and in those scenarios I wholeheartedly support it. It makes it out not as fanservice but as a part of life (which after all, it is) in a much more mature sense. The third and final option is to tackle the matter directly and simply go full on lewdness (To LOVE-Ru Darkness, Kiss x Sis for example). By being extreme enough to be considered borderline hentai then it can actually be naughty enough to be hot for once, and by not even trying to mix in some sort of serious story which no one cares about then the overall experience is a lot more satisfying, albeit very simplistic.

The biggest problem with ecchi anime is the formula they follow more often than not, namely as some sort of action/fantasy/ecchi/harem combination or similar. A male protagonist surrounded by a group of girls, fighting some other beings for whatever reason in some cheap plot whilst showing off their exaggerated cleavages and panties whenever possible during the fight scenes. This to me is totally pointless because you can't really enjoy the fanservice when the story is trying to be serious, and you can't take the story seriously when there are tits absolutely everywhere. In other words it's counterproductive as hell. This is the main reason I don't really like series like DxD, Sekirei, Hagure Yuusha or similar. That, and also the heroines in those series tend to be all tits and zero personality which I don't really find attractive. Too superficial.

So that being said, for the most part no I don't really like ecchi anime, but that's more because of the fact that most of said anime are bad to begin with, there's nothing wrong with the genre itself and there definitely are a handful of good ones out there. It must also be stated that generally ecchi is made out a *lot* better in manga, light novels and visual novels. And the reason for this is that they all utilize text and no animated movements. In other words they can't just get away with having their fanservice consist of nothing more than swaying tits and panty shots, but rather they actually have to put in some serious effort and creativity into the text itself in order to make their lewd moments actually feel hot. Therefore I think ecchi is much more tasteful, original and just plain better in those kinds of mediums compared to anime.

As for why I like it when it actually is done correctly..... well I guess I'm just a pervert at heart. Can't really get around that fact~ :>
Jul 2, 2015 3:05 PM

Feb 2015
HaXXspetten said:

People who hate ecchi usually hate every form of it, not selective.
Jul 2, 2015 3:12 PM

Apr 2015
HaXXspetten said:

This

HaXXspetten said:

A lot. Highschool DxD being the prime example.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2015 3:13 PM
Jul 2013
kidanime3d said:

My thoughts exactly Sidonia no kishi is currently waving the flag for a pointless harem. Series 1 was great without it.

Yes. Season 1 was far greater. Just looking at the openning ahah.
Hachikudakeee~

But hey, there's worst than it : Log horizon ahah
"how to make 50 episodes out of a story that held in 25 episodes"
HaXXspetten said:

As in log horizon, with St valentine's day. Omg I could not beleive what i was watching.
And in any anime in general where we got a 7th episode at the beach or at the thermal sources... Oh you waited a whole week for that ahah, come back next week.
Jul 2, 2015 3:13 PM

May 2013
Less boobs, more abs
Jul 2, 2015 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
WingsOfValor said:
Less boobs, more abs

I like boobs but yes please.
Jul 2, 2015 3:19 PM
Jul 2013
Ecchi in manga is way better than in anime.
Just because you can decide how to read it! Either taking out every details, or just going through it because you are not feeling like watching this ecchi scene.
Jul 2, 2015 3:19 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, I still manage to continuously watch anime without much ecchi shitservice and have been for years now. It's all good.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 2, 2015 3:20 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
CG-Silver said:

HaXXspetten said:

...and Shokugeki no Souma. I swear, I really like them so much that I would rate them 10/10, but oh god, the fanservices are incredibly annoying.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 2, 2015 3:39 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
CG-Silver said:
HaXXspetten said:

I'd say Highschool of the Dead is by far the worst example. I mean seriously zombie apocalypse combined with... with... matrix boobs? I don't even-

Though yes, DxD is pretty terrible as well in that sense. One second it's trying to have some mythological fantasy story, and then the next second Issei is ripping girls' clothes apart, telepathically communicating with their boobs and sucking on Rias's nipples. Like uhhh okay? Make up your damn mind wtf...

RayAdha said:
...and Shokugeki no Souma. I swear, I really like them so much that I would rate them 10/10, but oh god, the fanservices are incredibly annoying.
That's one series where I think most people actually like the fanservice in though. Mostly because it's so incredibly absurd that it comes off as a funny sort of stupid rather than just plain stupid
Jul 2, 2015 3:41 PM

Feb 2010
HaXXspetten said:
CG-Silver said:

I'd say Highschool of the Dead is by far the worst example. I mean seriously zombie apocalypse combined with... with... matrix boobs? I don't even-

Though yes, DxD is pretty terrible as well in that sense. One second it's trying to have some mythological fantasy story, and then the next second Issei is ripping girls' clothes apart, telepathically communicating with their boobs and sucking on Rias's nipples. Like uhhh okay? Make up your damn mind wtf...

RayAdha said:
That's one series where I think most people actually like the fanservice in though. Mostly because it's so incredibly absurd that it comes off as a funny sort of stupid rather than just plain stupid

Holy shit, DxD sounds even worse than I imagined.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 2, 2015 3:42 PM

Jun 2014
BruceLad said:
CUZ BOOBS AND PLOT
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 2, 2015 3:59 PM

Feb 2013
offmodel said:
I always wondered what it would be like if Jerry Seinfeld was an anime fan, and now I know.

Jerry wouldn't go for such stale material
Jul 2, 2015 4:00 PM

Oct 2013
WingsOfValor said:
Less boobs, more abs
Jul 2, 2015 4:11 PM

Jan 2015
I really hate this blatant act of pseudo conservatism. Problem is many (including me) are pirates so I hav no right to whine bout these
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 2, 2015 4:14 PM

Apr 2014
I think regular shows should stop with the fan service. Like if I want to see boobs ill just go watch and ecchi.
Jul 2, 2015 4:21 PM

Jun 2008
I swear there was a thread exactly like this with even the same poll option just a while ago.
Jul 2, 2015 4:41 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Its typically added in to improve sales which is understandable.

If you ask me though, I don't really care about the poor quality of the writing, as long as I enjoy the show for what it is.
Jul 2, 2015 4:43 PM

May 2013
In Shokugeki no Souma, the fanservice works so well.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 2, 2015 5:09 PM

Apr 2015
HaXXspetten said:
CG-Silver said:

RayAdha said:

I agree. I've only watched the first episode of Shokugeki no Soma because I'll watch it when its completed. The first episode was a bit funny and distracting due to the fanservice but from what I've seen in the manga, that was the only scene with over the top fanservice. Later chapters had more meaningful scenes. Anyways its a great manga.
Jul 2, 2015 5:18 PM

Apr 2015
CDXX said:
Idk, I still manage to continuously watch anime without much ecchi shitservice and have been for years now. It's all good.

Thats why I'm watching high quality Anime nowadays, instead of the mediocre anime with shitty fan service. Feels good to know that I have a lot of good titles to watch.

john_h said:
I have no clue what kinds of shows you guys are watching, I've never had such an extreme amount of fanservice in a show that it negatively affected my viewing experience.

Either you are a pervert who thinks that these scenes are normal or you haven't watched enough shit like Highschool of the Dead, DxD etc....[/quote]
Jul 2, 2015 5:22 PM

Apr 2015
Zergneedsfood said:
I feel like people should just stop watching shit shows.....

or at the very least learn how to judge something by its cover, lol

When people keep telling you that Highschool DxD has a good plot and is not all ecchi, you have to give it a try despite the cover. Plot was just alright except that ecchi scenes kept popping out every second.
Jul 2, 2015 5:49 PM

May 2014
animes with fanserivice is mainly well sericice to deticated pepole of the manga or light novel anime for somethings can be seen as a promotion
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
21 seconds ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

31 by Gator »»
1 minute ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

981 by Palash_6 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Apr 23

20 by windyshadow »»
4 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

27 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.