Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2015 10:34 PM

Oct 2012
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan is now up for vote. Decide if deserves a second lease on life as a reborn member of Enlightenment or if it should be hanged for the crime of being overrated.

RULES:
1. You can only vote for a title if you've finished watching/reading it. You must've read or watched at least 60% of the published content for unfinished titles. There might be exceptions for very long finished titles as they are decided on a case by case basis, but usually amount to more than half of the published content.

2. Write your vote at the very top of your comment.

3. Below your vote, give a substantial explanation to back it up. It doesn't have to be lengthy; it just needs to cover the points you want to make.

4. If you have only read/watched the adaption/source material of the respective nominee, please state so in your post.

5. It will take a minimum of 5 votes for either Enlightenment or Relations to make it into any of the lists as an anime (3 votes for manga). If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Invalid.

6. The votes for Enlightenment will have to outnumber the votes for Unremarkable and Relations for it to be included in our list; the same goes for Relations. If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

7. Behave yourself. We accept discussions and debate, not flaming and incoherent fanboy/fangirl behavior.

8. The fate of the poll will lie in the hands of the officers if it turns out that there are more first time voters than regulars or the series cannot be gauged by both voting and discussions.

This polling process will last 14 days. BEGIN
Ducat_RevelJul 12, 2015 8:45 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 2, 2015 6:00 AM

Jan 2015
Option 2.
Overall, the manga doesn't really make an impact. The drama is forced and I didn't really care about the characters. It's supposed to make you sad, but instead it made me cringe. The dialogue was rather corny and the story was rushed.

Basically, I think this manga tried to make the readers feel sympathy towards the characters. Their lives are sad for the sake of being sad, especially the male character's. The reason for his death sentence was just laughable.

Overall, this manga is okay. It has many flaws, and doesn't deserve a place in our lists.
BohemianRhapsodyJul 10, 2015 12:59 AM
Jul 4, 2015 12:54 AM

Oct 2012
Option 2

This manga isn't bad. It's got moments and I think the whole Christianity element ropes well enough to the road to resolution in this manga. But we have to be real here for a second. It's not good enough to get onto this list. It's not even good enough to qualify for the Top 10. I wouldn't even put it in the Top 100.

Now, I get that impact is subjective. There's trauma here that's real and would resonate with some people. I get that. Just because it didn't hit me doesn't mean that it's not good. If that were the case, then there'd be a petition for people to remove Solanin from this list (I will murder anyone who tries tho.)

But, what I can't overlook is how this manga manages to screw up by the ending. If this manga wanted to root its emotions to something real, then it should've stuck by that from start to finish. And yet, it doesn't.

So yeah. Overall, I guess this manga's okay. But the faults are too great to overlook. Meh. I'll go lower my score.
Ducat_RevelJul 4, 2015 1:06 AM
Jul 4, 2015 4:09 PM
Dec 2013
Option 2.

Honestly, the first time I read through this I very much enjoyed it, it was a nice little series, and I was an advocate for its inclusion on this chart. However, I decided to reread it for the sake of finalizing my opinions before making a definitive vote now and much more of its flaws are readily apparent.

It's a fine dramatic short story, but I found that upon review it's just lacking. The characters were fairly stale and transparent. The story itself relies a tad too much on attempting to invoke sympathy from the reader in place of actual engagement. It's a good short story, but it's not enlightenment-worthy I feel. Thank you.
The_JokiJul 8, 2015 10:13 AM
Jul 5, 2015 1:00 PM

Apr 2013
option 2 - Unremarkable

Like ducat, I also have problem on the dude's reason for getting the death punishment, since it does
. Apart from that one issue, the pacing is pretty good for such short series and the characters are built pretty nicely.
however, I do feel the whole series is relying too much on tragedy and relevance between character and reader in very subjective level. Objectively, it's a short but decent story at best.
Jul 5, 2015 1:40 PM

Aug 2009
Option 2, option 2, option 2, option 2

How the fuck did this even get to the polling stage? Mysterious option 1 voters are conspicuously absent while it's on the few kind souls above to make sure the poll is not invalid (and I have great respect for those who, after all this time, still have the passion to vote in polls, let me say that much). It really seems that the polling is dead by now and that the club is just desperately resuscitating it.
Jul 6, 2015 4:09 AM

Apr 2013
metamorphius said:
Option 2, option 2, option 2, option 2

How the fuck did this even get to the polling stage? Mysterious option 1 voters are conspicuously absent while it's on the few kind souls above to make sure the poll is not invalid (and I have great respect for those who, after all this time, still have the passion to vote in polls, let me say that much). It really seems that the polling is dead by now and that the club is just desperately resuscitating it.
I started reading it in the hopes to vote, I didn't get too far through it before I had to preoccupy myself with other things. However, I'm kinda surprised this is rated over 9.00 on this site. Even by MAL standards this isn't that good.
Though some of the concepts are neat.
If it keeps going this way, I'd more than likely vote option 2, maybe option 3 (which I haven't done before) <_<
Jul 6, 2015 9:53 AM

Apr 2012
Option 2 (If it was a bit worse I would have said 3)

It's short and it has the capacity to evoke 'FEELS', hence why anyone even gives a shit about this in the first place. I don't hate it, but Nickelodeon in 8 pages was able to deliver a more poignant narrative. The setting from the start was overly grandiose and lacked any buildup as it shoved tragic events down your throat. The only reason I should care at all about the characters is because they suffered some tragic events in their past. So no longer are they individuals in a particular universe, but they're manifestations of "bad things that happen to people". They were defined by their tragic events and not their characteristics that make them people, so I sympathise with them insofar as I sympathise with anyone who suffers anything bad in their lives.

Maybe if it had more chapters it wouldn't feel so artificial and perhaps make the characters a bit more organic. Who knows? All I know is that this manga hardly deserves a spot in the E-camp. If you're going to be a short story focus on one element and drive it home, not cheaply and lazily make the backstory and leave it as a peripheral.

Fucking MAL and their short attention spans and their fucking 'FEELS'.
Jul 11, 2015 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
Option 2 - Unremarkable

The manga isn't bad per say, but suffers greatly from its short length and comes off as overblown and melodramatic.
It's pretty good, but not noteworthy to be memorable, let alone be on a list with the most competent manga out there.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 11, 2015 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
Dang, this is quite the hate storm hahaha. Not a single option 1 in sight XD.
Jul 11, 2015 4:27 PM

Oct 2010
According to my rating I guess that would mean a vote for option 1, but it's been a while, I don't have it fresh in my mind, and honestly I'm not in the mood for re-reading right now. Keep the hate storm going, guys.

Actually I was surprised to have it voted at all, that's how terrible I am with my manga track.
jal90Jul 11, 2015 4:31 PM
Jul 11, 2015 4:38 PM

Oct 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
Dang, this is quite the hate storm hahaha. Not a single option 1 in sight XD.

Watch me change my vote to option 3 last minute and rally a last ditch effort for Relations. Then we'll get a real hate storm brewing.
Jul 12, 2015 8:45 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.