Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some anime have (proportionally) more fillers than others?

New
Jun 27, 2015 11:08 AM
Mar 2015
I really want to start Naruto since I'm just a hundred or so episodes from catching up to One Piece (my favourite anime TT) after three months of slow marathoning. But the thing is, I'm a completionist and the humongous number of fillers bothers me. I have no problem with few fillers or if we're talking about an episodic show, fillers are like no different from canon. But not one with a continuous plot.

This makes me wonder how the producers thought it was a good idea, especially when similar anime like One Piece and from what I've heard HXH (haven't watched it) have so few to none.

Reasons?
Jun 27, 2015 11:10 AM

Feb 2013
Not wanting to catch up with the source material is normally the reason why (don't ask why Naruto was still making them after the manga ended though). Hunter x Hunter's manga was mostly written ahead of time so no filler was needed and One Piece adapts very little of the manga each episode instead of making a bunch of filler arcs.
Jun 27, 2015 11:12 AM

Nov 2012
Just skip the fillers, you don't have an obligation to watch them by definition.
Jun 27, 2015 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
studio pierrot is known for having much anime original content;
not only naruto, but also each lesser known series i've watched from them(sugar sugar rune, shirokuma cafe, clamp school detectives) has a lot of original content
Jun 27, 2015 11:17 AM

Mar 2015
1. catch up original source.
2. milking money.
3. nobody knows.
even lot of short anime have fillers anyways.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 27, 2015 11:19 AM

Jul 2013
Watch the fillers. There are so many characterization and plot points in them that you'd be missing half of the show if you skip them.
Jun 27, 2015 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
I love fillers where characters scream for 5 minutes. And showing the world is shaking apart.
Jun 27, 2015 11:30 AM

Sep 2013
Bleach fillers are better than 95% of today's anime XD
Even the weakest one "The Bount Arc" is decent.

Watch HxH already, it's better than one piece.
Jun 27, 2015 11:36 AM
Mar 2015
gedata said:
Not wanting to catch up with the source material is normally the reason why (don't ask why Naruto was still making them after the manga ended though). Hunter x Hunter's manga was mostly written ahead of time so no filler was needed and One Piece adapts very little of the manga each episode instead of making a bunch of filler arcs.
Ah, that clears it up a bit. But then that leaves the question of why they can't just go on hiatus periodically. But Naruto still making them after the manga ended seems like miking.

romagia said:
studio pierrot is known for having much anime original content;
not only naruto, but also each lesser known series i've watched from them(sugar sugar rune, shirokuma cafe, clamp school detectives) has a lot of original content

So the problem is with the studio?
Jun 27, 2015 11:39 AM

Aug 2013
ichii_1 said:

Zanpaktou filler arc god tier stuff.
Jun 27, 2015 2:14 PM

Dec 2012
Isaac_ said:
gedata said:
Ah, that clears it up a bit. But then that leaves the question of why they can't just go on hiatus periodically. But Naruto still making them after the manga ended seems like miking.

Because that would cost them a lot of money, for no good reason. It can't just abandon it's time slot, and being off air, will damage it's popularity.

Take it from a big Naruto fan, if you actually want to enjoy the series, forget the completionish mentality, find one of the many filler guides online, and simple skip them (lucky for you, the first series, have few fillers in it's first 100 something episode)
Jun 27, 2015 6:54 PM

Jul 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
ichii_1 said:

First half of Zanpakutou filler arc was god tier, the rest of it were just random episodes for each Zanpakutou.
Jun 27, 2015 7:04 PM

Apr 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
DrGeroCreation said:

First half of Zanpakutou filler arc was god tier, the rest of it were just random episodes for each Zanpakutou.

I actually liked the Bantou(?) Arc with Kariya. (Made it into Anime Canon, somehow too.)
Jun 27, 2015 10:07 PM

Apr 2015
I think anime has fillers more than anything else because usually anime stick to a set amount of episodes. USUALLY a season of anime is either 12 or 24 episodes, but i'm not quite sure about Naruto or One Piece. Probably because of the amount of chapters of manga those 2 manga have.
Jun 28, 2015 4:14 AM
Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
Isaac_ said:

Because that would cost them a lot of money, for no good reason. It can't just abandon it's time slot, and being off air, will damage it's popularity.

Take it from a big Naruto fan, if you actually want to enjoy the series, forget the completionish mentality, find one of the many filler guides online, and simple skip them (lucky for you, the first series, have few fillers in it's first 100 something episode)

There are lots of anime that do that though (all seasonals for example). Do their studios love loosing money?

Well if you say so, I guess I will just watch a few to see if I enjoy them and if not I will momentarily skip them. But I will still have to come back and watch them before rating Naruto and marking properly as completed.
Jun 28, 2015 4:24 AM

Jun 2014
StandoffishMan said:
Just skip the fillers, you don't have an obligation to watch them by definition.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 28, 2015 5:08 AM

Dec 2012
Isaac_ said:
tsudecimo said:

There are lots of anime that do that though (all seasonals for example). Do their studios love loosing money?

Well if you say so, I guess I will just watch a few to see if I enjoy them and if not I will momentarily skip them. But I will still have to come back and watch them before rating Naruto and marking properly as completed.

Those have a slot, with a specific amount of episodes, they are not long running. How many episodes they have, is already predetermined, their source material is not long in the first place. Example: Fate/zero was already decided to have 24 episodes total (which were separated into 2 cours, with a break in between), while Naruto is a long running anime, with a long published manga, that ran along side it, so it's impossible to have a specific amount of episodes decided beforehand.

I think that would work best then, watch all of the canon, then get back to the fillers.
Jun 28, 2015 5:36 AM

Aug 2014
Skip the fillers, most of them are non-canon, original stories that just create confusion.

Dunno what Studio Pierrot is thinking, they are likely just trying to milk as much as possible from the Naruto franchise since it's still quite popular.
Jun 28, 2015 7:16 AM

Nov 2010
Story pacing, adaptation pacing, amount of material left, the size of the arcs, maybe even more. Bleach has a slow story pacing in the manga and very large arcs so when the anime studio speeds up the adaptation pacing so the story pacing is faster they use up the material faster which generally means more filler if they are planning on keeping up that adaptation pacing. One Piece goes for a slower adaptation pacing since there is more content each chapter than in let's say Bleach, which means less need for filler. How much material the manga had when the anime started also matters, HxH's manga had over 300 chapters out I believe before the new remake started so it didn't have to worry about catching up as much as most anime where the manga had only been serializing for a year or two(50 to100 chapters).

Never stop being completionist. Though I understand how hard that can be with Naruto and Bleach. The first Naruto series has fine filler though a little too much near the end. Shippuden is a mix some good filler and some of the worst I've ever seen. I say to keep on being a completionist try to watch the filler, maybe read about it before hand and if it's too bad then save it until after you catch up.
Jun 28, 2015 8:28 AM

Dec 2014
Why do you care so much about manga canon if all those arcs still tell their own stories?
Jun 28, 2015 8:57 AM

Mar 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:

That was actually a sort of sub-arc inside of the main filler arc about Sword Beasts. A different story began then.
Jun 28, 2015 10:49 AM

Jun 2014
ichii_1 said:
Watch HxH already, it's better than one piece any other anime in existence.
Jun 28, 2015 12:06 PM
Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
Isaac_ said:

Those have a slot, with a specific amount of episodes, they are not long running. How many episodes they have, is already predetermined, their source material is not long in the first place. Example: Fate/zero was already decided to have 24 episodes total (which were separated into 2 cours, with a break in between), while Naruto is a long running anime, with a long published manga, that ran along side it, so it's impossible to have a specific amount of episodes decided beforehand.

I think that would work best then, watch all of the canon, then get back to the fillers.

Hmmm, makes sense. But there are still cases like Fairy Tail or Gintama which are long running like Naruto yet went on hiatus when they were caught up to the manga before coming back unlike Naruto. At least that's what I've been told. Anyway, I know jack shit about how all this works so I'm just gonna assume that they have good reasons.

IntroverTurtle said:
Story pacing, adaptation pacing, amount of material left, the size of the arcs, maybe even more. Bleach has a slow story pacing in the manga and very large arcs so when the anime studio speeds up the adaptation pacing so the story pacing is faster they use up the material faster which generally means more filler if they are planning on keeping up that adaptation pacing. One Piece goes for a slower adaptation pacing since there is more content each chapter than in let's say Bleach, which means less need for filler. How much material the manga had when the anime started also matters, HxH's manga had over 300 chapters out I believe before the new remake started so it didn't have to worry about catching up as much as most anime where the manga had only been serializing for a year or two(50 to100 chapters).

Never stop being completionist. Though I understand how hard that can be with Naruto and Bleach. The first Naruto series has fine filler though a little too much near the end. Shippuden is a mix some good filler and some of the worst I've ever seen. I say to keep on being a completionist try to watch the filler, maybe read about it before hand and if it's too bad then save it until after you catch up.

Thanks, that's very informative. I thought every manga have chapters with similar lengths/contents.

Yeah, I will not. But I'm gonna go with your and tsudicimo's advice of skipping them during the first watch.
Isaac_Jun 28, 2015 12:19 PM
Jul 11, 2015 2:13 AM
May 2015
Well, there is really no reason for Pierrot to do so many fillers besides them being lazy and greedy incomepetents.

Not wanting to catch up to the manga? Well duh, it ended 9 months ago.

Saving budget for important episodes? The current canon content (including Gai's fight) has shit animation even though it was preceded by six months of filler.

@OP Skip the fillers. All of them. And no, don't rewatch them later.
Jul 11, 2015 10:32 AM

Feb 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
Watch the fillers. There are so many characterization and plot points in them that you'd be missing half of the show if you skip them.

what

the

fuck
Jul 11, 2015 12:08 PM

Sep 2013
Syndiciate said:
ichii_1 said:
Watch Bleach already, it's better than one piece any other anime in existence.

Agreed.
Jul 11, 2015 12:19 PM

Oct 2014
Fillers are mostly used to waste time so that more material from the respective source exists. The definition of 'filler' is non-canon content, of which canon means 'content from the source material' (if existent).
Otherwise, it is used to elongate the series so that they can increase number of sales. This is done by having fewer arcs from the source adapted so that volumes released can have less content, known as 'filler', to produce this effect.
Anime that are sort and have filler are simply due to bad adaptation from the manga, or for whatever reason they have to excuse themselves from that.
Jul 11, 2015 12:20 PM

Oct 2014
Syndiciate said:
ichii_1 said:
Watch HxH already, it's better than one piece any other anime in existence.

Yep.
Jul 11, 2015 12:37 PM

Aug 2012
I think they do that just to make money off of long popular series like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail.

If you want you can google up anime filler list and they can tell you which episodes are filler or not.

Personally I don't like fillers, they are irritating and time consuming and doesn't advance the story at all :|
Jul 11, 2015 12:56 PM

Mar 2014
Long-runners that go for dozens or hundreds of episodes at a time are daytime or prime time shows for kids and general audiences. And Japan doesn't generally do reruns, so it has to be a new episode every week (unless they're doing a recap, which is even worse than filler). Imagine if the Simpsons had aired a new episode almost every week for the last 25 years with no reruns or hiatuses, and that's basically what you're getting with a long-runner anime like Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan or One Piece. So if it's a long-running anime that's adapting a manga or some other source, they basically only have two choices once they start running out of material to adapt - make filler episodes, or end the series for a year or two until the manga's far enough ahead again. Most studios choose the filler option for two reasons. One, if you end a show there's no guarantee about if or when you'll get back on the air again. And two, most of the revenue for those shows comes from TV ratings and advertising sales - none of them sell more than a handful of copies on the BD/DVD market - so if the show's not running, it's not making any money.

Conversely, the seasonal anime that are scheduled in specific 12/13-episode blocks and only run for one or two cours, like a Fate/Zero, are almost always late-night anime that are made for otaku. Those shows make almost all their money from BD/DVD sales, since there's not a lot of advertising dollars to be made from a show that's airing at 2:30 in the morning, so they don't have to stay on TV for years at a time to generate revenue.

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

40 by redorzo »»
3 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

64 by Sorachin »»
6 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

31 by Meusnier »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

92 by dayooooon »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

35 by phantom346 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.