Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2008 4:28 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oooh, Goro ... welcome to the beauty of American baseball. Land of the great trading empire? Gibson had a son we knew nothing about? Heck, that would have been useful information. Still, fit it well with the episode. Fox and Sanchez are real pals. Loved the 'older geezer 'technique comment.

Good, good. Looking forward to next episode.
Feb 19, 2008 5:44 PM

May 2007
Interesting episode.

I was relieved that Goro didn't magically develop a worthwhile curveball overnight, but I'm not sure how I feel about Sanchez's advice to focus on the fastball. I mean, it'd make things easier as far as the show goes, I guess... but it makes it harder to swallow, I think.

But the real thing is... wow, Joe Gibson Jr.'s a giant asshole. I can't think of a better word than that right now. ...I mean, potential rivalry is one thing -- but telling a guy that his dead father was worthless when your dad caused his death seems a little more than just cold or ruthless to me. I mean, that's really mean. I mean, that's way worse than saying that your mom smells like fish.

I'm glad, story-wise, that it isn't so easy for Goro to find a team where he fits, but I'm ready for him to settle down now. Hopefully, the next place he goes is where he's going to end up for the season.

=)
lowellFeb 19, 2008 5:49 PM
Feb 19, 2008 9:09 PM

Nov 2007
What? Stop learning a curve? That's horrible advice. Keep learning the curveand, while you're at it, throw change-ups again!
Feb 19, 2008 10:53 PM

Aug 2007
lowell said:

But the real thing is... wow, Joe Gibson Jr.'s a giant asshole. I can't think of a better word than that right now. ...I mean, potential rivalry is one thing -- but telling a guy that his dead father was worthless when your dad caused his death seems a little more than just cold or ruthless to me. I mean, that's really mean. I mean, that's way worse than saying that your mom smells like fish.

=)

Yeah that was really fucked up. You should never disrespect the dead. Gibson Jr. should be happy to go against Honda Jr., The son of the man who was worthy enough to take on his amazing dad. But no. calling him worthless. If any of my family members got disrespected like that he would be dead, or just outcold.

Otherwise good ep.
Feb 20, 2008 5:28 PM

Jan 2007
I think there is more to Gibson Jr. than what took place this episode. But yeah, I'm glad Goro got his assed kicked and that the curveball wasn't some new amazing technique. I don't know a lot about baseball, but I'm with blue about the fact that it was some horrible advice about stop learning the curve.
Feb 21, 2008 12:52 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
lowell said:

I'm glad, story-wise, that it isn't so easy for Goro to find a team where he fits, but I'm ready for him to settle down now. Hopefully, the next place he goes is where he's going to end up for the season.

=)

I think it's safe to say he'll be sticking with his next team (The Bats). The intro shows that team in quite a few shots.

Gibson Jr. is a nice twist to an already tense battle for Goro. Looking forward to it.

Oh, i see competition for Goro's girl back in Japan (Shimizu was it?). Woot, harem ftw. :D
Feb 21, 2008 10:02 AM
Sep 2007
i agree with faust, the scene where gibson jr. looked at that pendant or whatever was a bit strange, i think he may really be an asshole, but he has some other reasons to act the way he did too.

nice episode, just too much time until the next comes out ^^"
Feb 22, 2008 12:06 AM

Nov 2007
Awakened said:
i agree with faust, the scene where gibson jr. looked at that pendant or whatever was a bit strange, i think he may really be an asshole, but he has some other reasons to act the way he did too.

It's probably something stupid and predictable like his mother died when he was "stuck" in Japan and he blames Goro's father because he wouldn't have been in Japan for so long if he didn't die.
Feb 27, 2008 10:37 AM
Jan 2008
There is gonna be some thing along those lines, im glad goro finnally hit a wall, he gonna finally go back to training and become super goro again, it would be hilarious if he gets traded to the same team as gibson jr, or if he accidently kills gibson jr with a dead ball, hate the asshole gibson jr, atleast his father repented, gibson jr just threw salt in the wound
Dec 12, 2009 9:42 PM

Jun 2008
cant say im a big baseball fan, but im really enjoying this series, up to this point it seems like they made it a bit more comedic compared to the previous seasons.
Mar 13, 2010 12:46 PM

Apr 2007
I was really surprised to hear those words come from Gibson Jr., I never expected he'd be such an ass. Still, once Goro develops some more a game against him should be fun to watch.
Apr 15, 2010 1:21 AM

Feb 2008
wow, his luck is a lot worse this time around lol
though I prefer it this way, things were going way too well.

crap, they're ditching the curve again :/
wtf is wrong with them? there's no way you can succeed with just one f'ing pitch :/

I think Gibson Jr is probably being an ass to Goro more because of the way his father behaved after the incident than for any other reason. the only real question is exactly what that behavior was.
Jan 24, 2012 8:36 AM
Apr 2011
Gibson Jr. was a jerk to disrespect his dad. I bet if his dad was there he'd get hella pissed off, considering how Joe Gibson changed after that incident. Yeah there's that thing bout the pendant; bet it's something like his mother/family relative died due to some accident whilst they were in Japan. Hopefully not cause that's too cliched and predictable.
Anywho, I thought that Gibson Jr. should have respected Honda as he was fairly skilled to hit a home run to Gibson's fastball which was an unable feat. even for Americans, shown by that one game he threw just fastballs.

It's good to see how fired, it was going way too well. Especially the curve ball. Even though he learnt it he didn't master it so it wasn't really much of a use. Don't really like how Sanchez told him to focus fully on his fast ball. Unless he can increase his speed 5~10km more with full control then that'd be different.
Jul 9, 2013 12:50 AM

Jul 2008
Wow now that was a gut punch! I'm pissed my angels released him, and even more pissed at Gibson Jr. Not even Toshi was that cruel to Goro.

However this was a great wake up call for Goro, its not going to happen overnight.
Dec 7, 2013 12:58 AM

Apr 2011
so basically the author trolled us and Goro is not actually gonna learn new pitches
Dec 10, 2013 4:49 AM

Aug 2009
wow ...Gibson jr. was truly and utterly disgusting. me having a mother who passed on my 13th birthday, I can sympathize with Goro. and its hurts I mean literally hurts when someone talks bad about that parent you've lost. it really touches the soul in so many bad places. and for Gibson jr. to say all of that? call him an idiot and worthless? my heart literally couldn't take the scene I just about cried because that was truly beyond words. I understand they want to make him look like a jerk but thats going too far. My reaction would have been the same as Goros. to beat him up. I only wished Goro would have got a hit on him.

Dec 23, 2013 5:23 PM

Jul 2012
Aw man. I thought Gibson Jr was pretty attractive just at first glance but his personality is horrible. To make fun of Honda's death... :/ Ugh so many unlikable characters in this show.
Jan 11, 2014 8:55 PM

May 2012
Wow, Gibson Jr has the worst character disrespecting Goro's dad like that. I was totally pissed with all the things he said.. and too bad Goro is fired but at least, it is a good development for him to be more stronger. All good things come to an end eventually.
May 1, 2014 11:56 AM

Oct 2012
lowell said:
Interesting episode.

I was relieved that Goro didn't magically develop a worthwhile curveball overnight, but I'm not sure how I feel about Sanchez's advice to focus on the fastball. I mean, it'd make things easier as far as the show goes, I guess... but it makes it harder to swallow, I think.

=)

You're having exactly the same thoughts as me. Damn, Gibson Jr. is such an arrogant prick... Can't wait to see him fail.

I don't like the fact Goro will keep on using fastballs as well, but I guess it's just not his style.
Jan 3, 2015 9:23 AM

Nov 2009
I don't think Goro will forever stick to only fastballs, however as of right now he hasn't found a breaking ball he felt "worthwhile practicing". On a side note, breaking balls really aren't as powerful as you would expect when you can throw a 100mph fastball, honestly even in the major leagues when it gets to that speed batters are predicting more where the ball will wind up than trying to watch it. I feel bad for the umpires having to judge pitches like those.
Apr 16, 2015 7:45 AM

Aug 2013
I bet that Gibson Jr was bullied when he was a child in Japan, since he was a foreigner. This is something very cliché. No matter what his reason is, I won't forgive him too. He had no right to talk about Honda like that, what a jerk!
Jul 2, 2015 11:48 AM

Aug 2013
...... :(

At least, he got a new goal : to rekt that foolmouth! Wow, what an asshole that Gibson Jr. There is a limit to what you can say about the dead, even if you believe it.

Kinda sad that his performance have been tainted by that brawl. And that the Honda/Fox battery is no more. Oh well, that's what sport is. Moving from team to team. It's rare in our days that a player stay very long with one team.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 24, 2015 5:58 AM

Jun 2009
god FUCKING dammit. no more breaking balls? alright, someone should tell goro that there's more fastballs than gyros and 4-seamers. if you're only going to use fastballs, start using forkballs again or even cutters. FUCK.
Aug 8, 2015 9:50 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting advice.
Good episode, there's a lot of time left, it can't go well from the beginning.
Aug 23, 2015 11:19 PM

Feb 2008
What the shit.

I don't understand this at all, just focus on the Gyro?

If this was about fighting games and not baseball i swear Goro would that idiot who only mashes HP and reaches a certain point and dropps back down.

This is highly disappointing, it was more fun to watch the other pitchers since they actually did stuff other than throwing the same ball for 75 episodes.

You can only have the formula "People get surprised by the Gyro, they start to hit it, Goro throws a harder gyro". Work so many times.

It's the damn rasengan of this show, and just like with Naruto it pisses me of to no end.
Nov 14, 2015 3:32 PM

Nov 2015
I agree on the idea that he should focus on his Gyro. No point in keeping it half assed while at the same time, learning a breaking ball. Not just that, it could break his form..

I guess it's just me but as soon as I saw the pendant I thought "He must have a picture of Shigeharu in there, just as Gibson has a picture of Shigeharu on his wall."
Probably a tsundere...
Apr 23, 2016 5:34 PM

Feb 2013
Gibson's son was too rude, he can't say stuff like that about Goro's father.
He got fired, but he will find another team, hopefully that team will have someone who speaks Japanese.
Sep 14, 2016 4:25 PM

Feb 2008
He should probably try to improve fastballs, but it really wouldn't hurt practicing other throws from time to time. It's too soon to use it in a pro game anyway, he can't just get good at different throws within weeks, but if he practices at least in the next season he'd be able to throw some good ones. If Minor league can hit his current breaking balls, Major will wreck him.

And yeah I agree, there's more to Junior than it seems. This show never introduces completely negative characters, everyone usually has a reason for acting the way they do. I assume he just had the same experience as Joe Gibson in Japan and didn't really get to play the kind of baseball he wanted to play, but we'll see. I doubt it's something tragic, but in a way, having to move to a different country and abandoning all friends is tragic, especially since he's isolated in Japan, language barrier preventing him from making friends, and by the time he masters the language he already has to return to the states.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 5, 2018 2:48 PM

Nov 2016
Fastballs are the right answer after all, at least for now.

Gibson Jrs. words were fucking unforgiveable,but I kinda have the feeeling he's still hiding something.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 19, 2018 5:54 PM

Jul 2016
Wow.. where did THAT come from? Gibson Jr. was a complete piece of crap for saying that.. but he is 19 years old (and we'd all be lying if we did not reach some level of hate at that age). I agree with some of the posters here that something probably happened in Japan and now holds a grudge against Honda.

Also liked that the creators added Bradley International Airport on one of the signs in the background when Goro was going to the airport. Whenever I go on vacation, that is the airport I usually fly out of.
mshea1213May 19, 2018 6:03 PM
Aug 2, 2020 2:10 PM

Dec 2007
we finally introduced to new character, joe gibson junior, and he's real duchbag.
as for the episode itself, i didn't really except for goro to do well in the first game pitching breaking balls, but in the end shnetz (or how you pronounce his name..) told him to consecrate on fast ball only, so long variety pitching of goro~
though there will be people who criticise this season for goro poorly playing and being fired so quickly, I'm actually find better than the last seasons where goro were like a kami, for once goro are not going to have easy life and going to work on his playing.
Oct 17, 2021 7:42 PM

Jul 2015
Joe Gibson has a son?! Gibson himself was a nice remorseful guy but on the opposite his son is such a insufferable victimblaming piece of shit. Gotta say I didn't expect Anaheim Salmons to actually release Goro, well time for a new team

May 31, 2022 8:18 AM

Apr 2016
Major doesn't know how to create a rival without making him too asshole xD

Anyway, this is what I was waiting for. Major S3 was a step back for me, but this fourth one is going pretty well.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 18 Discussion

Harout - Nov 10, 2008

27 by QuestIonMark_ »»
Aug 8, 2023 6:50 PM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 8 Discussion

Faust721 - Apr 3, 2008

33 by Meranwise »»
Oct 27, 2022 6:31 AM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Harout - Dec 28, 2008

50 by CLADDAN »»
Sep 19, 2022 7:01 PM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 3 Discussion

Awakened - Jan 20, 2008

32 by CLADDAN »»
Sep 16, 2022 4:33 PM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 2 Discussion

lowell - Jan 21, 2008

34 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 18, 2022 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.