3It was OK
9.4%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
4.7%
Average 4.5
85 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 21, 2015 1:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, I think Maruo needs to calm down a bit. I mean, he needs to keep a cool head in this game. Score remained pretty close although I think Marou picked up his pace.

Grats to Araya overall in winning though. I mean, the match was intense from start to finish. Marou also deserves a round of an applause for effort.

Great match.
Jun 21, 2015 4:20 AM

Nov 2013
Is it over? Is it really, finally, over? My God, my nerves could barely handle that. The first two matches had a guaranteed outcome for obvious reasons and the ones after were skipped, so this really was the only match that could go either way and be exciting. Although I did expect Maruo to lose, it still kept me on the edge of my seat, and I almost thought Maruo was going to win for sure xD
But yeah, what a finale to a great and intense match.

Oh hey Iwasa, it's been a while. I thought he was gone for good back then, glad that we could see more of him. That little moment with his advice and everything at the end was so moving ;_;

Maruo may have lost but he definitely learned a lot. Beast mode on. And it seems starting with next episode it will be another training arc before the next tournament; Gathering of the Rivals sounds hype so I can't wait.

5/5 episode.
Mid season score 8/10 ---> 9/10.
Jun 21, 2015 5:03 AM

Mar 2008
I knew it was coming but damn I was still rooting for Maruo.
Jun 21, 2015 5:11 AM

Dec 2011
I know already what would happens but it was so great watching it animated and i wish they could show the award ceremony as well but it may be shown next episode.Good drawing from Iwasa and can't for next episode to see all Kanto rivals to be present.
Jun 21, 2015 5:14 AM

Mar 2012
Oooh, the final set was played like the final sets for each Grand Slam besides the US Open. Lol, that automatically killed off my prediction of this going to a grueling tiebreak.

Man, that match was intense! Sad to see Maruo lose after all of that, but it doesn't change the fact that he proved himself as a legit threat now.
Jun 21, 2015 5:19 AM

Jun 2011
Amazing match. I kind of didn't expect Maruo to lose, but he did so well that I can't even feel frustrated about it. Okay, a bit, maybe. Arata telling him that he's not a no-name player anymore and Iwasa giving him that drawing were touching moments.
Jun 21, 2015 6:05 AM

Aug 2010
9-7 sure is one heck of a long game. DAMN! Maruo must have felt dead tired at the end ^^;

Intense match. Can't wait for what comes nxt. I can't wait for a certain match against a certain shounen MC XD

Time for group training and some romance :3
Jun 21, 2015 7:07 AM

Nov 2013
Noooo i wanted Maruo to win :(
Damn i wish i had Araya's energy, Maruo looked like he was about to faint.
And that drawing was good ^^

Jun 21, 2015 7:17 AM
Jul 2014
I was kinda surprised Natsu didn't say anything at all after he lost, she just stood there in silence the whole time. Not really sure if that is consistent with her character, as I'd say she's more supportive of him than anyone.

Oh well, probably being pushed off to a later discussion along the same vein. Great episode, even if I think the infinite length match is a little cheap against an endurance machine to produce a win for Araya.
Jun 21, 2015 7:22 AM

Jun 2014
Araya too strong for Maruo in the third set.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 21, 2015 7:34 AM

Jul 2010
Never seen Maruo getting exhausted to this extent, that was one great match, though!

Being able to play at a national level and enjoying tennis more than anyone else, a wonderful episode.

Araya's style really is an issue for Maruo, though. Just powering through everything.
Jun 21, 2015 9:30 AM

May 2014
Man that was butt-clenching! All that training, but it still wasn't enough. ;~;
It was one of the best sport matches I've seen in my time of watching anime.

This anime is what motivates me the most at the moment. :p

Off-topic, but does anybody know if this will continue on to the next season as a 2-cour series?
ArunumeriqueJun 21, 2015 11:49 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:12 AM

Nov 2010
Oh damn, he was so close. >.<

Great match, looking forward to the next tournament.
Jun 21, 2015 11:31 AM

Apr 2015
It's a pitty that Maruo was so tired, if it wasn't for that I think that Maruo had a chance to win.
when Maruo understood the way that Araya plays he won the second set, on the third they were with the same strenght but Araya is better physically so he won the match, so with a little bit more of physical strenght Maruo can beat Araya in the future.
The tournament is over, now I'll wait anxiously for the next one.
Go Maruo!!
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Jun 21, 2015 11:53 AM

May 2010
Can anyone clarify for me?
I thought that if Mauro lost this tournament then he promised to quit tennis?
Jun 21, 2015 12:05 PM

Apr 2010
Thrashinuva said:

He promised the nationals, not the prefectuals.
Jun 21, 2015 12:13 PM

Jul 2012
Dang, I really thought he was gonna pass out. Amazing match. He did so well. I can't wait to see what happens next. He just keeps growing and growing.
Jun 21, 2015 12:33 PM

May 2010
TiagoCosta said:
Thrashinuva said:

He promised the nationals, not the prefectuals.

At the pace it was going I figured it must have been something like that. Thanks.
Jun 21, 2015 12:58 PM

May 2013
Wow, 9-7. That's why we play tie-breaks. I could almost feel Maruo's exhaustion.
Jun 21, 2015 12:58 PM

Jun 2013
so Araya won
Jun 21, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2014
geez. it's been such a long time since i read this in the manga that i misremembered the end of this match. nearly started crying along with ei-chan. Ugh. This kid. This wonderful kid. </3

10/10 episode

GSupernova said:
I was kinda surprised Natsu didn't say anything at all after he lost, she just stood there in silence the whole time. Not really sure if that is consistent with her character, as I'd say she's more supportive of him than anyone.
naw. she's been at this tennis thing for a while, so her look of "yep, sucks doesn't it," was totally in character. Sympathetic yet proud. Knows he needs to feel the intensity of this loss to further motivate him in the future, when he can't afford to lose.
Jun 21, 2015 2:47 PM

Oct 2014
Bittersweet episode. Kinda sad that Eiichiro lost, but then again Araya really deserved to win after we got to se all his flashbacks in the previous episodes.

Hope that Ei-chan can move on to nationals soon though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2015 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
i'm quite surprised by the different choice of music. so many shows nowadays have bittersweet endings it's getting annoying >.<
Jun 21, 2015 4:51 PM

Sep 2013
wasn't Maruo suppose to quit tennis if he didn't win this tournament?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Jun 21, 2015 5:02 PM
Oct 2010
Jose07 said:

Maybe, I was thinking the same thing, but I believe it may have been he was supposed to quit if he didn't win the national junior tournament. This one was merely to qualify for it, I can't remember though so I could be wrong.

EDIT: NVM someone already answered it, and yeah I was right.
Jun 21, 2015 5:30 PM
Jul 2018
Araya won the match!!

The match between Maruo and Araya was intense.
Jun 21, 2015 5:43 PM

Nov 2013
those tears ;___;
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jun 21, 2015 7:46 PM

Mar 2009
Well, damn. Sucks for Maruo. He worked his ass off, too.
Jun 22, 2015 12:21 AM

Oct 2013
Wow I thought Maruo would win. Dang! They got me good. Well Maruo didn't give up on going pro yet; yeah he still qualifies for the national tournament which I forgot a while ago.
Jun 22, 2015 7:02 AM

Sep 2014
A fantastic match overall. Even if Maruo didn't win, it was still a delight to watch! Let's see what Maruo does now.
Jun 22, 2015 4:02 PM
Dec 2013
nice game. animation looked pretty bad this episode, though. that 10 seconds still frame at the end and some awkward facial animation.
Jun 22, 2015 6:59 PM

Jul 2010
Ffs, let the good guy win an important match for once.
This is the first time in a spokon where I see the MC losing so many times, it's not a bad thing obviously, because probably when he will win the important match it's gonna be clamorous, so I think these lost are in preparing for that.
Jun 22, 2015 10:06 PM

Nov 2014
That was a really great match.
It was fair for Araya to win since the match went for so long and the difference in their stamina is noticeable.
Still, that made me really sad. Maruo tears at the end were really sad, no sweet talks can make him feel better. Getting the second place is the worst feeling ever :(
HakayaJun 22, 2015 10:14 PM
Jun 23, 2015 6:37 PM

Oct 2011
Maruo did his best

dat picture T__________T
Jun 23, 2015 10:07 PM

Jan 2013
Very good episode, realistic outcome.
Jun 24, 2015 9:57 AM
Aug 2013
I'm so sad that Maruo lost. He really did his best. However, that's one of the main reasons I like this anime; for its realistic episodes.
I think that when he wins his first important game, we're all going to be equally happy as the character is going to be.
Jun 24, 2015 12:05 PM

Apr 2015
That quote from Iwasa at the end ....

I was feeling the same as Maruo at the end.

Those tears DAMNIT !
Jun 24, 2015 3:38 PM

Jul 2011
currycurry said:
geez. it's been such a long time since i read this in the manga that i misremembered the end of this match. nearly started crying along with ei-chan. Ugh. This kid. This wonderful kid. </3

10/10 episode

GSupernova said:
naw. she's been at this tennis thing for a while, so her look of "yep, sucks doesn't it," was totally in character. Sympathetic yet proud. Knows he needs to feel the intensity of this loss to further motivate him in the future, when he can't afford to lose.

THIS. I was 100% confident he would win in the end, because I misremembered too! I was tearing up when Maruo was crying. It hurts. T__T

Natsu's doing the right thing. She's probably has a sense of what it feels like. What would you say to cheer him up?? "Don't mind it, you'll win next time!" BS. An insensitive person would say that. Maruo knows his limits and he knows why he lost better than anyone. I like that everyone stayed silent and just watched over him, because they know he has to overcome this loss himself. It's brutal and crushing to lose after giving it your absolute all, and empathy would just make him feel worse. His spirit and confidence have been shaken, and he needs to recover on his own.

MirorinJun 24, 2015 3:45 PM
Jun 25, 2015 7:22 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
currycurry said:

GSupernova said:

I was going to reply to this, but you said it in a better way than I could've. Natsu is usually quiet I think when it comes to watching matches, and I think she knows exactly how to support Ei-chan in the way he needs it.

DarkYazawa said:
Wow, 9-7. That's why we play tie-breaks. I could almost feel Maruo's exhaustion.

Same. I love how immersed I get into the game and the anime. Ei-chan played an incredible match I think, and he learned even more about instincts and reason, how when he is drained of all mental energy, his instincts take over and he's able to play really well. Though it's not a one hit solution to his physical exhaustion. It's frustrating, but physical attributes are definitely another weapon in sports.

When Iwasa gave Ei-chan the sketch, my eyes blurred at the same as Ei-chan's did. You could really feel the frustration and conflict Ei-chan felt at that moment, that despite how he was enjoying the game (for the most part), he still lost.
Jun 28, 2015 5:48 AM
Jun 2014
Baby steps is just going in circles, and it feels like a waste of time.
Jun 28, 2015 12:49 PM

Sep 2013
skudoops said:
Jose07 said:

Maybe, I was thinking the same thing, but I believe it may have been he was supposed to quit if he didn't win the national junior tournament. This one was merely to qualify for it, I can't remember though so I could be wrong.

I see, thnx
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Jun 28, 2015 3:08 PM

Nov 2010
Going this far the endresult didn't actually mattered to me anymore, since I assume he will be shining on the all Japan Junior later

Next up will be interesting with all the rivals meeting up
Jul 2, 2015 9:33 AM

Jun 2011
I totally know how that feel, being totally burned out, that really sucked. It was a little bit tiring to watch, it makes me remember those days where I couldn't get enough sleep or overworked myself.

Next episode seems promising. I have always liked rivals/friends from the same area teaming up and get stronger together to face opponents from another area. Can't wait to see all the new faces.

P.S. Aki is pretty cute, isn't she?
skudoops said:
Jose07 said:

This is why I have always preferred to marathon anime, especially a split cours or something. Glad I waited for 2nd season.
ToG25thBaamJul 2, 2015 9:43 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2015 4:30 AM

Jul 2012
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
what the fuck
i didn't expect them to break the sports anime cliche where the team always wins the second time in their "championship"

nice.
this match was horrible. so slow. they got so technical. i started to dislike this show but making him lose was a good decision. onto the next!!
Dec 20, 2015 10:07 PM

Dec 2014
This is getting annoying... :(

this tennis matches, not fun to watch.

i'll just watch this series for the shipping.
Mar 3, 2016 6:32 AM

Aug 2013
For a moment I thought they'd pull the cliche miracle for Ei-chan.
But I'm glad it turned out this way.. now that he's aiming for pro this is more like it.
Oh Iwasawa made an appearance.. I like that guy.
May 13, 2016 12:07 AM

Dec 2012
Such a wonderful episode, the best one. He lost, but the match was incredible. I was about to cry with him. Great job Maruo ! You deserve the acclamations and this beautiful drawing.
Feb 1, 2017 12:58 PM
May 2013
My feeling is that this match lasted a bit too long. Honestly I didn't really care about which of them would win...probably nice that Araya won.

Anyway this is one of the best sports series (and most realistic). However, I hope to see more interesting matches in future.
Sep 11, 2017 3:45 AM

Sep 2015
oh! Ei cahn ! that was really heart breaking!
and why is everyone just standing there when he was crying like that? someone hug him please
Mar 14, 2018 7:43 AM

Jun 2016
Perhaps the last two episodes could have been done differently, but by making us invested in a 2hour+ match with an hour of our own time was a great decision. This final set was absurdly intense. I love endurance fights and this was one for the ages. Maruo's resolve to keep trying his hardest, climbing the wall every time he hit it, and playing until he was on the brink of passing out is going to be my inspiration for awhile. In fact, I should use Maruo as my guidelines of how I want to be in any competitive field or any field I want to improve it. Next time I feel like I'm going to lose no matter what I'll think of this match. Of course... he still lost but the outcome was a moment he'll never forget.

The way Araya shouted to make sure Maruo was okay the second the match ended after he did his cheer put a smile on my face. I sincerely doubt many people are held as highly in Araya's mind as Maruo is. "Look around, you're not a no name player anymore". Queue Maruo looking to the crowd of people cheering for him, that was a beautiful moment.

Last thing I want to talk about is the final scene. Maruo has finally started to understand the intensity of pro play. He already said in the Miyagawa match that this is a crush or be crushed situation and that weighed on him. This time he powered up briefly with a second wind because his reason literally collapsed and he turned all instinct like an animal, he even exclaimed "I'd rather die than concede due to stamina here". DIE!!! He knows what it's like on both sides, the winning and the losing of pro player where livelihood is on the line. That's why he cried when Iwasa congratulated him with the picture. The incentive that fun is whatever you pour all of your heart into is a meaningful one too.
But my point here is why Natsu didn't say anything. It's not that she's out of character. In fact seeing this made her smile. It may be hard in the moment to accept defeat for Maruo, but she's smiling because he's finally tasted the highs and lows of pro play and a loss like this is a massive stepping stone. It will only push him further, it will be what he thinks of while he's training. It's something all competitors need to go through and she understands that. Or so I strongly think. It's like in Dragon Ball where
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2015

116 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2015

51 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

36 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

33 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:01 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2015

48 by ImmuneDark3 »»
Jun 21, 2022 5:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.