Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 28, 2015 1:38 PM

Oct 2012
Cause I'm not masochist.
Jun 28, 2015 1:40 PM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Aeonic said:
I must be the dirtiest and most vile casual there ever was with my 600 dropped shows.
No there's still that scrafty or whatever guy who has dropped nearly 95% of the anime in the database and his reason for doing it is hilarious.
wow 0o he only rated like 519 of them, so i don't think he's actually seen even 1 second of all the others
Jun 28, 2015 1:46 PM
Jun 2015
Praland said:
Because ... i can.
)))
I try to accelerate like 1-2 minute per episode, when it's old/ boring/same animation, like seinen - u watched one and know the others, all you need is epic fights.
Sometimes I just don't want to see some genre, like Agent Paranoia I watched during month - half ep per day - hardest anime for me.
Jun 28, 2015 2:46 PM

Nov 2013
i usually drop anime because I don't have any chance to download the rest episode, my internet quota is low..
Now I prefer to read manga/LN..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 28, 2015 2:53 PM

Jan 2015
karde_en said:
hmmm well i do it,because i have a very busy study life and some animes make me really addicted.

Signature removed. Please check your inbox
Jun 28, 2015 4:11 PM
Feb 2015
I drop if I find it intellectualy insulting or characters irreparably unlikable.
Jun 28, 2015 4:17 PM

May 2013
When I am so bored with it that I don't care anymore.
Jun 28, 2015 4:36 PM

Nov 2010
romagia said:
IntroverTurtle said:
No there's still that scrafty or whatever guy who has dropped nearly 95% of the anime in the database and his reason for doing it is hilarious.
wow 0o he only rated like 519 of them, so i don't think he's actually seen even 1 second of all the others
Don't think so either that's what makes his reason so hilarious.
Jun 28, 2015 5:13 PM
Apr 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
romagia said:
Don't think so either that's what makes his reason so hilarious.
What's his reason then?
Jun 28, 2015 5:32 PM

Aug 2014
I only drop anime if the characters are annoying and it's a longer series.
Even if the plot is boring I can typically burn through a terrible 12 episode anime.

Jun 28, 2015 5:55 PM
Oct 2012
For me its the 3rd episode. 1st episodes usually have something worth watching, but if they can't give me something interesting in the 2nd or 3rd episodes, then the show is probably a one idea show and is not going anywhere.

Sometime a great 1st will cause me to preserver, but if I do I am usually, inevitably disappointed.

There have been some exceptions, but that is why I come to MAL: it helps me to find overlooked gems (Log Horizon though I did not drop it as much as thought it was outside my preferred type of show and did not even give it a chance) or to stick with something I think is crap (Mahouka, had I not read the comments from LN readers, I would have dropped it).
Jun 28, 2015 5:56 PM

Mar 2014
Because i feel like it ho
Jun 29, 2015 6:02 AM

Jun 2012
If Im going to cringe through the whole show why bother watching it?
Jun 29, 2015 5:11 PM

Jun 2015
Because dead weight is too heavy.
Jun 29, 2015 11:27 PM
May 2010
Because there are thousands of titles out there and YOLO. Don't have time to sift through all the garbage.
Jun 30, 2015 9:04 AM

Jul 2014
PrettyJ said:
Because I have better things to do than watching 10-20+ remaining episodes of something I know I will not enjoy... I'm very picky with what I watch, after all.
Jun 30, 2015 6:50 PM

Mar 2015
Because I can why should I watch something that I dont like till the end?That would only be waste of time I have better things to do (actually I dont... xD)
Jul 1, 2015 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
Mostly because the pacing is bad or it just ceases to interest me altogether. I try not to drop as much as I can but I have my limits. There are too many other anime I can be spending time on
Jul 1, 2015 1:02 PM

Jan 2015
I personally don't drop animes.
But I watched the short anime Vampire Holmes - and thus it became the first anime I dropped and the worst I have watched
Jul 1, 2015 1:03 PM

Apr 2009
I'm the one who generally enjoys most anime, but, I usually drop either because

-it's boring
-Something offensive is pretty much the central theme of the anime
-no interest in the characters
-Show is formulaic to the ten thousandth degree
-I forgot the on-hold status existed
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jul 1, 2015 1:31 PM
Jan 2014
Dropping an anime is rare for me. However, it happens.

There is only two reasons I drop an anime.

1). Disgustingly, mind numbingly simple, or stupid. For example "To Love Ru" et al. Nuff said.

2). This one is much more important. There are times when the actions of one character is so unlikely as to be impossible, or those actions are so stupid, that the show wants me to think one thing, when the logic of the question is totally out in science fiction somewhere.

A couple of examples.
a). "Steins; Gate"
Does anybody in this world really believe that a self-confessed 'mad scientist' will complete anything of note? Anytime in history? Anywhere? Even by mistake?

I don't believe it. While I'm capable of suspension of belief for something that is otherwise rational and logical, this sort of distortion of reality puts a whole new spin on the notion of "...it ain't happening, not now, no way ..."

b). "Death Note"
This otherwise excellent anime has one big problem. Light Yagami. While many people buy the notion that this kid is some kind of genius; as an actual smart guy, I can tell you he's dumb as a post. Very lucky at times, but also quite stupid.

Light kills Ray Penber, after Ray has told Light he's gonna terminate his FBI investigation without implicating anybody. Light then kills Penber, which then forces Light to also destroy Penber's girlfriend. This was not done by mistake. It was done on purpose; for the fun of it. Now he has to dodge the investigation of both these new murders from at least a dozen professional detectives; including his own father.

This all happens before the end of the 8th of 37 episodes. This is so mind-numbingly stupid, there is no way for Light Yagami to ever recover his label as "Super-Genius". I dropped this hot-potato after the end of the 8th episode, and good riddance.

c). "Kamisama Hajimemashita"
This anime had the potential to be really fun, and entertaining. Only one problem. The notion that Tomoe would ever consider Nanami, a subject for a romantic entanglement is totally laughable.

She ensnares him into lifelong bondage and slavery, not once but twice. Intentionally. And he's going to forget all of that, because 'true love conquers all'!? Nonsense. I'm not buying it. Especially after Tomoe makes it totally clear that he hates Nanami a half-dozen times in the series. I watched all of that one, hoping there would be some rational and logical solution for this hypocrisy, but nope. I shoulda dropped this one early. Say around episode 3.

This the end of discussion. There are legitimate, but rare examples of Anime that are so bad, in some way, that they should be dropped before one's sanity framework is permanently wrecked. I intend to protect mine. I have dropped a half-dozen Anime, because of my fairly strict principles, on the matter.
KD7BWBJul 1, 2015 1:47 PM
Jul 1, 2015 1:34 PM

Apr 2011
Because it's not worth my time, though lately I've been more lenient with anime. Used to drop anything that went below 5, now it's anything below 4.
Jul 1, 2015 1:38 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I don't.
Jul 1, 2015 1:49 PM

Jun 2014
CursedFein said:
Cause I'm not masochist.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 1, 2015 4:22 PM

Feb 2010
Because I enjoy anime and would not want to quit the medium every time I encounter an unwatchable show.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 1, 2015 4:54 PM

Feb 2015
I don't, because I binge watch it too. And because I let a chance to the anime to entertain me.
Jul 1, 2015 5:05 PM

May 2012
KD7BWB said:
Dropping an anime is rare for me. However, it happens.

There is only two reasons I drop an anime.

1). Disgustingly, mind numbingly simple, or stupid. For example "To Love Ru" et al. Nuff said.

2). This one is much more important. There are times when the actions of one character is so unlikely as to be impossible, or those actions are so stupid, that the show wants me to think one thing, when the logic of the question is totally out in science fiction somewhere.

A couple of examples.
a). "Steins; Gate"
Does anybody in this world really believe that a self-confessed 'mad scientist' will complete anything of note? Anytime in history? Anywhere? Even by mistake?

I don't believe it. While I'm capable of suspension of belief for something that is otherwise rational and logical, this sort of distortion of reality puts a whole new spin on the notion of "...it ain't happening, not now, no way ..."

b). "Death Note"
This otherwise excellent anime has one big problem. Light Yagami. While many people buy the notion that this kid is some kind of genius; as an actual smart guy, I can tell you he's dumb as a post. Very lucky at times, but also quite stupid.

Light kills Ray Penber, after Ray has told Light he's gonna terminate his FBI investigation without implicating anybody. Light then kills Penber, which then forces Light to also destroy Penber's girlfriend. This was not done by mistake. It was done on purpose; for the fun of it. Now he has to dodge the investigation of both these new murders from at least a dozen professional detectives; including his own father.

This all happens before the end of the 8th of 37 episodes. This is so mind-numbingly stupid, there is no way for Light Yagami to ever recover his label as "Super-Genius". I dropped this hot-potato after the end of the 8th episode, and good riddance.

c). "Kamisama Hajimemashita"
This anime had the potential to be really fun, and entertaining. Only one problem. The notion that Tomoe would ever consider Nanami, a subject for a romantic entanglement is totally laughable.

She ensnares him into lifelong bondage and slavery, not once but twice. Intentionally. And he's going to forget all of that, because 'true love conquers all'!? Nonsense. I'm not buying it. Especially after Tomoe makes it totally clear that he hates Nanami a half-dozen times in the series. I watched all of that one, hoping there would be some rational and logical solution for this hypocrisy, but nope. I shoulda dropped this one early. Say around episode 3.

This the end of discussion. There are legitimate, but rare examples of Anime that are so bad, in some way, that they should be dropped before one's sanity framework is permanently wrecked. I intend to protect mine. I have dropped a half-dozen Anime, because of my fairly strict principles, on the matter.

^these examples are so true
Jul 1, 2015 9:20 PM

Mar 2013
Because it's not worth to watch ;3
Jul 2, 2015 2:43 AM
May 2009
Characters are boring.
Story is dull.

And I didn't have time to watch it. So I gave up.
Jul 2, 2015 6:02 AM
Oct 2014
I never drop an anime I decide to start. However, I might take a break from them if I'm busy/watching them hurts my brains too much.
Jul 3, 2015 1:56 AM

Dec 2012
Why do people watch bad shows just because they are anime? I don't love anime so much that I'm willing to dumpster dive for scraps.

Here's a regular hollywood show example of how I filter shows: I heard True Detective season 2 starts out awful, and I already heard of the cast change beforehand with low expectations for the producer. I'm probably not going to even give it a chance until I hear some positive reviews somehow. Why should I watch it? My fears were confirmed with word of mouth. My precognitive bias towards the show was affirmed.

The same applies to anime. For example, I have Tenjou Tenge on plan to watch list. Why would I want to watch it? It has tacky cover art. It's shounen ecchi, which I'm almost never ever a fan of. The average rating is a mild 7, and the individual reviews are consistently bad. Why would I take a risk on a show that has both features that completely repel me as well as bad viewer reviews?

It's when those fail that I drop anime. Carnival Phantasm, took me one episode to know exactly that I had no desire to have anything to do with that show. So of course I dropped it.

Slayers. Had an okay-ish plot with okay-ish characters. Gave it 7 episodes to grow on me. Didn't; hated the direction of the plot, the pacing, the antagonist, and the combat, which is the majority of the show, combined with humor I found fairly stale. Thus, dropped.

S-cryed and Outlaw Star. Overhyped anime from the 90s that were popular in the US. Rewatched them; hated how one-dimensional the shows felt. Felt like the same reason I outgrew G-Gundam: after some time, having some repetitive action sequence where you call out your moves isn't enough to keep an aniboner alive anymore. You need quality content to keep engaged.

In summary: I drop shows because I know what I like and what few shows sneak past my filter and still suck I typically drop.
CrimefridgeJul 3, 2015 1:59 AM
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Jul 3, 2015 2:02 AM
Feb 2015
Because I don't feel like watching it anymore

Same reason I would drop a baby - cause I don't feel like holding it anymore
Jul 3, 2015 2:34 AM

May 2015
Crimefridge said:
Why do people watch bad shows just because they are anime? I don't love anime so much that I'm willing to dumpster dive for scraps.

Here's a regular hollywood show example of how I filter shows: I heard True Detective season 2 starts out awful, and I already heard of the cast change beforehand with low expectations for the producer. I'm probably not going to even give it a chance until I hear some positive reviews somehow. Why should I watch it? My fears were confirmed with word of mouth. My precognitive bias towards the show was affirmed.

The same applies to anime. For example, I have Tenjou Tenge on plan to watch list. Why would I want to watch it? It has tacky cover art. It's shounen ecchi, which I'm almost never ever a fan of. The average rating is a mild 7, and the individual reviews are consistently bad. Why would I take a risk on a show that has both features that completely repel me as well as bad viewer reviews?

It's when those fail that I drop anime. Carnival Phantasm, took me one episode to know exactly that I had no desire to have anything to do with that show. So of course I dropped it.

Slayers. Had an okay-ish plot with okay-ish characters. Gave it 7 episodes to grow on me. Didn't; hated the direction of the plot, the pacing, the antagonist, and the combat, which is the majority of the show, combined with humor I found fairly stale. Thus, dropped.

S-cryed and Outlaw Star. Overhyped anime from the 90s that were popular in the US. Rewatched them; hated how one-dimensional the shows felt. Felt like the same reason I outgrew G-Gundam: after some time, having some repetitive action sequence where you call out your moves isn't enough to keep an aniboner alive anymore. You need quality content to keep engaged.

In summary: I drop shows because I know what I like and what few shows sneak past my filter and still suck I typically drop.

"But you can't know if it's good until you spend a lifetime watching it!"

One of the better comments in this thread. Some great explaining here.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

36 by Vendicator »»
19 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Yesterday

36 by inim »»
4 minutes ago

» What animes/manga where you suprised where made by the same creator?

Lol1268 - 9 hours ago

18 by MichaelJackson »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - 5 hours ago

19 by Vendicator »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 34 minutes ago

6 by Toooooooooohru »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.