Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 22, 2015 1:17 PM

Dec 2009
fluffybunnyboy said:
Those types of protagonists were also popular in spaghetti westerns, which had worldwide audiences back when.

Never once when I watched the Dollars trilogy did I think, "This Man With No Name is cool, but he would be so much better if he screamed lots of passionately emotional lines!"

But apparently, this is what makes Jonathan so much better than Jotaro in the eyes of western anime viewers.

Problem with this is that barring The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the supporting characters were nothing to write home about either, they didn't have a character arc or anything. When that 3rd movie happens we see lots of shenanigans involving Blondie and Tuco, so it's not like he's a flat character too.

Jotaro is way better as a supporting character IMO. Being all stoic and shit AND a mentor? Nice stuff.
Jun 22, 2015 3:48 PM

Aug 2013
TeddyBeer1983 said:
To me, this whole thread just shows how much times have changed. Most people today see Jotaro as a total dick with no personality who should be nicer to bis mom.

Back when the manga version was being made, no one cared about character development in a shonen action manga. Fans just wanted to see the protagonist beat the crap outta the bad guy. And characters like Jotaro were pretty much the norm.

The "plot holes" people are so obsessed about in this day and age, the "asspulls"...none of that mattered as long as it was FUN! In fact, to me the lack of logic makes this even more fun for me.

The ONLY flaw I see in Stardust Crusaders is that it was animated in the wrong era (animation wise).

I mean imo to S1's credit both part 1 and 2 WERE simple and super fun. So much style and flair to offset the violence and flashy fight scenes. I thought parts 1 and 2 had such a PERFECT balance. In part 3 they oversimplify and streamline the formula too much. It goes from simple in S1 to chewed up/pre-digested in SC if that makes any sense. Season 1's simplicity was one of its strong points. It did so much while still keeping it simple. Parts 1 and 2 told a story on TOP of having all this flair and bells and whistles and style akin to Jojo. While the fight scenes were great in SC that seemed to be the focal point above making sense and creating a great dynamic between the characters and the world of the story.

I really liked SC and it's still one of my favorite anime but it's still my least favorite of the 3 anime parts I've seen so far and by a noticeable margin. It's fight scenes may have been more intense and varied but every other facet falls short compared to its predecessors. Still great but not as great as parts 1 and 2. The specifics and timing of everything that happens in SC doesn't even matter. It forces the viewer to accept "hey I'm only watching this for the fight scenes" because they shaved everything else down so that there's no longer a "there's something for everyone" element the previous 2 parts had.

I know it sounds like I'm trashing SC right now but don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it for the entertainment factor. I was definetely entertained. But absolutely nothing felt like it mattered. The effect of the happenings, the order they happen in, etc. It was more akin to watching something like Pokemon or Digimon (of course more violent and Jojo-y). While that style is perfectly fine I still personally feel like SC lacked real substance as a whole compared to Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.

Then again I haven't read the manga so that could be a totally different case.
Jun 22, 2015 4:10 PM

Dec 2012
Ken_of_Hokuto said:
fluffybunnyboy said:
Those types of protagonists were also popular in spaghetti westerns, which had worldwide audiences back when.

Never once when I watched the Dollars trilogy did I think, "This Man With No Name is cool, but he would be so much better if he screamed lots of passionately emotional lines!"

But apparently, this is what makes Jonathan so much better than Jotaro in the eyes of western anime viewers.

Problem with this is that barring The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the supporting characters were nothing to write home about either, they didn't have a character arc or anything. When that 3rd movie happens we see lots of shenanigans involving Blondie and Tuco, so it's not like he's a flat character too.

Jotaro is way better as a supporting character IMO. Being all stoic and shit AND a mentor? Nice stuff.

But Kenshiro is your favorite character?
Jun 22, 2015 8:04 PM

Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:
Ken_of_Hokuto said:

He isn't a favorite of mine, but Kenshiro showed at least a wider range of emotions then Jotaro did
Jun 22, 2015 9:10 PM
Sep 2014
gedata said:
tsudecimo said:

He isn't a favorite of mine, but Kenshiro showed at least a wider range of emotions then Jotaro did

He didn't become the posterboy to the "manly tears" meme for no reason
Jun 22, 2015 10:20 PM

Dec 2009
Not only Kenshiro showed more tenderness, he actually showed more anger and happiness Jotaro ever did.

So yeah, one could say Kenshiro is at the very least not as flat as Jotaro.
Jun 23, 2015 12:41 AM

Aug 2013
Maybe it's different in the manga, but I honestly have no clue how anyone could think Stardust is better than Battle Tendency. Stardust had so much fucking padding. And the Dio fight was a total let down. The fight in the older version was way more epic. This one just seemed lackluster. I'm assuming they spent all their budget on all those 2, and 3 episode fights rme.

I really wish Stardust followed Battle Tendency's example by just making the show short and sweet. I totally prefer 10 great episodes over 48 mediocre ones. But I guess I'm just a quality over quantity type of guy...
Jun 23, 2015 1:59 AM

Dec 2012
Ken_of_Hokuto said:
Not only Kenshiro showed more tenderness, he actually showed more anger and happiness Jotaro ever did.

So yeah, one could say Kenshiro is at the very least not as flat as Jotaro.

Well I didn't really watch/read Fist of the north star (aside from some episodes on TV, when I was a kid), but I just assume, from the way other anime reference him, he is the iconic action stoic badass character.
Jun 23, 2015 6:55 AM
Sep 2014
Haytin said:
Maybe it's different in the manga, but I honestly have no clue how anyone could think Stardust is better than Battle Tendency. Stardust had so much fucking padding. And the Dio fight was a total let down. The fight in the older version was way more epic. This one just seemed lackluster. I'm assuming they spent all their budget on all those 2, and 3 episode fights rme.

I really wish Stardust followed Battle Tendency's example by just making the show short and sweet. I totally prefer 10 great episodes over 48 mediocre ones. But I guess I'm just a quality over quantity type of guy...

It is not entirely fair to compare an OVA budget to a tv anime budget, and you gotta admit that there were a lot of memorable characters and fights, Death 13, Anubis, Vanilla Ice, Pet Shop, the D'arby's, among others. You might say the OVa got it right by removing most fights, but if you have a manga that its main feature are the creative and fun fights, why strip it away of all of that?
Jun 23, 2015 10:53 AM

Mar 2010
fluffybunnyboy said:
Mixon said:
Then came Stardust Crusaders which took all the parts of BT that made me go "that was clever", threw them out of the window, and put bullshit pokemon powers instead.

Yeah, it's so terrible how Stardust Crusaders ripped off Pokemon.....

....Back in 1989, years before Pokemon existed. Araki is such a time machine-abusing plagiarist, I swear. =P

I see you have a habit of nit-picking.

Never said it ripped off Pokemon, I didn't even think of comparing the two, lol. I know how old is the manga, I just described it the way I thought was clearer than simply "bullshit powers".

All I mean is:
BT had moments that were clever. Sure, attaching a dozen of hand grenades on someone's back seems kind of hard to pull-off, but it still felt more clever, than "uh, my stand can do that and that. Oh, it could do that too, all along".
MixonJun 23, 2015 11:13 AM

That's some signature, eh?
Jun 23, 2015 11:17 AM

Dec 2012
D'arby fight is more clever than literally anything in BT.

You also generalizing there, there are a lot of stand fights that had tactics, most of them, didn't really depend on pure strength to win, otherwise Jotaro would have faced all the enemies. I don't really see how can Joseph bullshit, can be considered clever, they were just asspulls/street tricks, in SC, the tactics were legitimate.
Jun 23, 2015 12:00 PM

Mar 2010
True, D'Arby fights were good, though if the way Jotaro won the first fight wasn't an asspull, I don't know what is. Well, I suppose different strokes for different folks, I was enjoying first two arcs wholeheartedly throughout each episode, and hated SC, so I suppose I can't escape some bias.
MixonJun 23, 2015 12:06 PM

That's some signature, eh?
Jun 23, 2015 1:45 PM

Dec 2012
Mixon said:
True, D'Arby fights were good, though if the way Jotaro won the first fight wasn't an asspull, I don't know what is. Well, I suppose different strokes for different folks, I was enjoying first two arcs wholeheartedly throughout each episode, and hated SC, so I suppose I can't escape some bias.

You mean the star finger thing? well there is a little abilities that aren't showed from the beginning of the stands (polenraff ability to release the point of his sword)
Jun 23, 2015 1:58 PM

Dec 2009
tsudecimo said:
Well I didn't really watch/read Fist of the north star (aside from some episodes on TV, when I was a kid), but I just assume, from the way other anime reference him, he is the iconic action stoic badass character.

He actually IS *the* iconic stoic badass character, having influenced a lot of characters that appeared after him, be it visually or in personality. I mean, Jonathan looked A LOT like Kenshiro, and Jotaro amps it by being more stoic.

However the catch with Kenshiro is that he isn't just that. In fact, I recommend you read Hokuto no Ken. It raised the bar for the genre, and like Dragon Ball or One Piece, it's a cultural colossus.

It's kinda cheesy sometimes, and there ARE some problems with the story as you will notice if you get to it, but it's forgivable.
Jun 23, 2015 2:00 PM

Dec 2012
I always wanted to read it, for the catch phrase if nothing else, but I didn't find any good scans, do you know any decent ones?
Jun 23, 2015 2:03 PM

Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:
Mixon said:

You mean the star finger thing? well there is a little abilities that aren't showed from the beginning of the stands (polenraff ability to release the point of his sword)

And the Magician Red's Cross-fire Hurricane, Silver Chariot's cloning/armor removal, and Hierophant Green's possession, and DIO's eye beams.

tsudecimo said:
I always wanted to read it, for the catch phrase if nothing else, but I didn't find any good scans, do you know any decent ones?

Pretty sure there's only one set of scans for the series. Checked Batoto and there was only one option. Normally they include as many options as there are available.
gedataJun 23, 2015 2:10 PM
Jun 25, 2015 11:18 AM

Oct 2012
Mixon said:
Never said it ripped off Pokemon, I didn't even think of comparing the two, lol.

You said on the last page that Araki put in Pokemon powers in place of what came before. The thing is, though, how is that even possible when SC predates Pokemon?

So ultimately, that's not a valid criticism you could throw at Jojo.

It reminds me of that guy during season 1 who was saying that Jonathan and Zeppeli's "Zoom Punch" was just some fighting move from Toriko with a different name. It's as if some people on MAL are out to demonstrate their ignorance towards the creation dates of anime/manga and instead only consider their own order of familiarity with these works, then slam the earlier works for being similar to newer ones, as if that's in any way a valid or intelligent criticism.
fluffybunnyboyJun 25, 2015 11:39 AM
Jun 26, 2015 7:41 PM

Apr 2014
Mixon said:
ak184 said:

We are comparing Stardust Crusaders as a whole to Battle Tendency + Phantom Blood, not Stardust s1 to Stardust Egypt

Works either way. Phantom Blood was amazing, I thought I was past my anime phase when I was watching it, but there I was, watching 3 episodes at a time on the edge of my seat.

Battle Tendency was also great, I really enjoyed the scope of the story and how obviously Pillar Men were at a advantage. I enjoyed Joseph's street smarts and how everything was part of his plan.

Then came Stardust Crusaders which took all the parts of BT that made me go "that was clever", threw them out of the window, and put bullshit pokemon powers instead. It also took all attempts at humour and replaced them with shit jokes and everyone making ugly faces.
I liked the first Darby brother, I liked parts with Joseph in the spotlight, I hated most of the cast, starting with Jotaro. The whole series dragged ruthlessly, as I only watched it for Joseph and Dio.

I have to agree with sjack on this one, if JoJo became popular during SC, it did for all the wrong reasons.
PB and BT I would recommend to people that aren't even into anime, SC I would not recommend to even hardcore weeaboos.

"I'm glad it's over".

Remember, kids, becoming popular because you made something innovative is becoming popular for the wrong reason.

Also, calling BT "clever" is a bit of an overstatement. A lot of the things that happened in it were asspulls.

I'd also love to hear how stands are "bullshit".

Jun 27, 2015 5:10 PM

Jul 2009
Stands are boring/ridiculous, at least to me, because there are little to no rules to constrain them. A stand can have any and every power that is convenient to the plot, and there is very little similarity between stands to even be able to group them as the same type of "magic." Stands are any random power that the mangaka wanted to write a fight about that week. This is lame, no matter how he tried to use the powers in inventive ways (especially because we all knew the outcome of those fodder fights before they even started). Systems of magic need to make sense at least within the story's own world. Stopping time, psychic photography, age regression, removing souls, whatever the hell Empress is (parasite?), Mariah's magnet/gravity powers, Vanilla Ice's dimension warping/black hole, a future telling manga book...these are all abilities that come from the same source type!? An orangutan, a bird, a sword, a car, a baby, and a dog can use (and be deadly with) a stand, but Holly Kujo can't even manage to stay alive while in possession of one? Smells like bull to me.

I wouldn't even mind the randomness if there was an actual story to hold SC together, or the fights had any impact/consequence. BT had problems, but it was interesting to see how the characters worked within the limits of their abilities to win, or see how the limits on their powers made them lose. HxH has probably done the best job of having a wide range of powers, but at least attempting to be logical about how the system works and why things are possible. [/Opinions]
RizzleJun 27, 2015 5:18 PM
Jun 28, 2015 11:16 AM
Sep 2014
Rizzle said:
Stands are boring/ridiculous, at least to me, because there are little to no rules to constrain them. A stand can have any and every power that is convenient to the plot, and there is very little similarity between stands to even be able to group them as the same type of "magic." Stands are any random power that the mangaka wanted to write a fight about that week. This is lame, no matter how he tried to use the powers in inventive ways (especially because we all knew the outcome of those fodder fights before they even started). Systems of magic need to make sense at least within the story's own world. Stopping time, psychic photography, age regression, removing souls, whatever the hell Empress is (parasite?), Mariah's magnet/gravity powers, Vanilla Ice's dimension warping/black hole, a future telling manga book...these are all abilities that come from the same source type!? An orangutan, a bird, a sword, a car, a baby, and a dog can use (and be deadly with) a stand, but Holly Kujo can't even manage to stay alive while in possession of one? Smells like bull to me.

I wouldn't even mind the randomness if there was an actual story to hold SC together, or the fights had any impact/consequence. BT had problems, but it was interesting to see how the characters worked within the limits of their abilities to win, or see how the limits on their powers made them lose. HxH has probably done the best job of having a wide range of powers, but at least attempting to be logical about how the system works and why things are possible. [/Opinions]

Sorry to say, but Ripple/Hamon, is even more random than stands in S1, i can understand it is some kind of solar energy that interacts with water and is somehow deadly to vampires, but it doesnt explain a lot of things like: how can Will use it to create a glider from leaves, how can johnathan can enhance his fists with flame, how can joseph create a bulletproof barrier with stroheims hair, how can caesar control a girls movements, etc. The main reason i dont like ripple is that it appears to do a lot of random things without any kind of logic, with no futher explanation than "because ripple". At least with stands, i can understand that each user can mess with reality on its own way because it is some kind os Psychic power,
And i dont think you should compare nen to stands, considering jojo is older and there were some occasions that the author of HxH was accused of ripping off stands, Netero's Stand, Knucke's Potclean and Pitou Doll's, are an example of that. i would not go so far to say he outright ripped off, but he did took some inspiration from jojo
Oct 17, 2015 5:07 PM

Apr 2014
I agree. S2 was strictly worse than S1. S1 got a 9 from me while S2 got a 6. This was reflected in the sales. S1 sold significantly better.
Oct 19, 2015 2:35 PM

Jul 2014
Implying sales mean fuck all.

That happens to nearly every single anime tbh.
"Hi!"
Oct 23, 2015 2:15 PM

Apr 2014
sadpwner said:
I agree. S2 was strictly worse than S1. S1 got a 9 from me while S2 got a 6. This was reflected in the sales. S1 sold significantly better.
That means nothing.

This happens to every anime ever.

Japan loves season 2 more than season one, by the way, so...

Nov 27, 2015 7:59 PM

Apr 2014
Also, where did you get the impression that this was the best Part?

People think highly of it, sure, but I haven't seen anyone going "ZOMG BEST PART EVAH."

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

208 by gophers-insides »»
Apr 19, 9:11 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

132 by fgowy »»
Apr 17, 4:02 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2015

137 by vizthex »»
Apr 1, 10:43 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Akanezora - Feb 20, 2015

187 by MISTERINVINCIBLE »»
Mar 16, 11:01 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

161 by Blitrapika »»
Feb 27, 8:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.