Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Saikano Episode 13 Discussion

Jan 11, 2015 4:12 AM

A great conclusion to Saikano. Their world may have ended, their loved ones may not be there anymore, but one thing's never changed throughout: their undying love. Like many others, I am a fan of sci-fi and at many times did rage at the lack of logic and reasoning behind the war concept and the abrupt apocalypse - but you know, this is a love story. Surprisingly, the ending to me was a very happy conclusion, compared to the endless amount of tragedy we have endured all the way up to episode 10. (The fansubbers even gave me a warning at the end of episode 10, ironically.) In fact, from 11 onwards is when this anime shines, and did its fullest.

I may have found myself many-a-times empty and stunned, brain powered-out; still, I can't say I despise this love story, something which is decent. A surprising subtopic to consider: the dichotomy of life and death. Many times I found myself questioning the pain of living on, and the bliss of death in this anime. Obviously, in no way am I saying death is better than living, but if one is in the situation of Saikano, death may not be so scary after all.

The other recurring symbol in this anime is morality. Humanity have tresspassed on this concept in history countless of times, regressing ourselves into mindless beasts; either for survival or for power. Yes, humans are the ones that end up bringing themselves down. Saikano is one of the very few anime which dared to touch on this topic, although with a steampunk-esque outlook to it.

I have to admit that I didn't really liked the concept of a human-turned-WMD. While it did serve as the main plot device of the love story and the surrounding tragedy, I disliked it not just for its nonsense, but also for its method to evoke despair in this anime. This made it feel unnaturally forced, and also boring as it gets repetitive.

Although, I have to reiterate that the entire anime was decent at its own right, and the conclusion was excellent in my honest opinion. School is starting for me soon, and this is a great title to end off the holiday.
8/10
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Mar 20, 2015 10:29 AM

The first 6 episodes was horrible but the rest was really dramatic and sad which is good :) I like the ending with the imaginary scene... it makes it less painful to watch.

Apr 15, 2015 9:02 PM

Wow, that was a depressing ending to a depressing anime. Everybody died, but him. He is living in his own world pretending to be with Chise again. When he was hugging her, and then it showed him in a black empty room with nothing, as he tries to hold onto nothing, fuuuuuuuuuuck almost made me cry. It had a slow start, but really really kicked in the last 5 episodes. 8/10

Jun 12, 2015 1:33 PM

I felt like this show had a lot of potential, unfortunately it didnt quite deliver.
The VA's werent that great, specifically Shuji's VA, his character didnt make it that much better.

I wish they portrayed the way the world was ending and the war a bit better, I guess it can be explained why it didnt because that's the way Shuji saw the world after all, he didnt know what was going, except what was happening in his own town.

Many of the side characters were a plus though, Akemi and Tetsu especially.
It was almost to the point I cared more for them than the 2 main characters

Overall the anime was a nice little story ... depressing though.

7/10

Aug 13, 2015 2:50 PM
DoctorWasabi said:
Wow, that was a depressing ending to a depressing anime. Everybody died, but him. He is living in his own world pretending to be with Chise again. When he was hugging her, and then it showed him in a black empty room with nothing, as he tries to hold onto nothing, fuuuuuuuuuuck almost made me cry. It had a slow start, but really really kicked in the last 5 episodes. 8/10

I think the real Chise is connected to his somehow through the strength of his memories of her. Anyway, let's just hope for his sake that he can bang her, else it will be boring for him real fast! :P

Aug 15, 2015 2:23 PM

9/10
Serious, moving, and beautiful story.
I think this series couldn't have a better ending, even if it is scary a bit.
I loved almost every aspect of this anime. It was kinda rushed from time to time, this is the reason why I give only 9. But you know? this is really almost masterpiece.
I don't remember when I last watched a anime in one-run.
This is a story which is totally unforgettable.
Dub = fake crap. Always.

Oct 12, 2015 2:03 PM
9/10
TNX Flarona, your notes helped a lot.
Unforgettable Anime.

Nov 27, 2015 9:30 AM

Well ,that sucked if this is the last love song on this little planet then we're fucked

Jan 3, 2016 11:29 AM

I will never forget the feelings this show transmitted to me.
Modified by KenShiRo-Sama, Jan 3, 2016 11:29 AM

Feb 22, 2016 1:31 PM

Damn what an ending! This sure was something!!!

At first I really didn't know what to expect from this but boy did this anime amaze me!

Really great character and story development I must say, together with a great portion of drama and romance as it should!

All in all a very good anime I must say, I sure liked it and I do wonder what the ova's have to offer us!

Jul 9, 2016 5:01 AM

A little plot twist at the final episode. I never knew half of the Earth was destroyed.

Everyone died huh except Shuu, LOL. Earth is no more too.

They were together even though the world's ended, I see.

3/5

Overall 5/10

Jun 10, 7:14 PM

Seriously powerful ending with those kind of feels that make you tear up, but more importantly, give you food for your thoughts. This series as a whole was a completely new experiences for me when it comes to the romance genre and shed light on aspects where other series didn't even move the curtain. Furthermore, it also managed to be a really amazing intra-apocalyptic war drama and depressing to boot. And I didn't expect it would play out like this. Shuji survived and Chise in a way too, but man, this whole situation is way too sad and somehow crueler than death. Being alive without any hope left, so much taken from you, you're only able to reminisce in memories. I wouldn't be able to stand it.

I'm in awe right now and still can't process all what happened.

Easy 9/10 and if some technical aspects had been done with more finesse then I probably would've even considered a full score. Will make sure to check out the manga, I'm curious and also because it might help with getting a better grasp of some aspects.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]