Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 13, 2015 5:06 PM

Jul 2014
HONESTLY, THIS SHOW (BOTH SEASONS) DO NOT GET THE LOVE IT DESERVES. IT SHOULD BE WAY MORE POPULAR.

I find it very different from other anime and it sucks how more shitty shows are ranked higher than this and are more popular
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jun 13, 2015 5:43 PM

Dec 2013
I think a lot of people are turned off by the animation, but I completely agree with you.
If I forget to reply feel free to drop a message or comment on my profile!
Jun 13, 2015 5:50 PM

May 2010
absolutely agree but honestly im actually fine with this not being as popular for some reason.

the CGi part really should not be an issue if it pulled off soo damn well .
Jun 13, 2015 6:23 PM

Nov 2007
You don't say. I am actually enjoying the second season even more.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 16, 2015 5:48 PM

Jun 2012
Anime is about animation, the animation of this sucks what would you expect... It's different? Yeah, why should that make it good? Only the story is good, what you would expect of the creator of Blame!.
If this got, Gargantia, Gurren Laggan, Valvre, Aldnoah animation, it would be superb. CGIme doesn't exist and I sure as hell wouldn't want to see future One Piece turned like this.
Jun 16, 2015 6:54 PM
May 2014
Snaita said:
Anime is about animation, the animation of this sucks what would you expect... It's different? Yeah, why should that make it good? Only the story is good, what you would expect of the creator of Blame!.
If this got, Gargantia, Gurren Laggan, Valvre, Aldnoah animation, it would be superb. CGIme doesn't exist and I sure as hell wouldn't want to see future One Piece turned like this.

Do graphics justify how good a video game is? Not necessarily. Like video games, animation is primarily used as a medium for conveying stories and ideas, not simply something you ogle at. While I do admit that the animation for Sidonia is a bit unusual at first, it never crossed my mind that the series was automatically bad. Besides, by comparison, of the aforementioned examples that feature CGI mecha, there's no denying that Sidonia is leagues above the competition, thanks to its combination of excellent camera work, superb sound direction, and a keen eye for detail that really immerse the audience within its universe.
Jun 16, 2015 6:57 PM

Jul 2012
a lot of people don't even bother trying this show because of the cgi
oh well. they're missing out.

very underrated.
Jun 16, 2015 11:13 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah, it is unbelievably underrated.

The CGI is so well-done, I do not know why so many people turn around from this. It is pretty damn epic.
Jun 17, 2015 11:25 AM

Jun 2012
TanukiKid said:

Do graphics justify how good a video game is? Not necessarily. Like video games, animation is primarily used as a medium for conveying stories and ideas, not simply something you ogle at.

Not necessarily? Of course it justifies, why do you think they are always trying to improve it. Truth that story matters on the overall, that is why I only said that the animation is the only thing wrong. CGI is a tool why do you think the animation of the other shows I referred excel Sidonia's. A show made entirely of CGI isn't anime, want a good mix of CGI you have Space Battleship Yamato 2199.
Jun 17, 2015 12:11 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The strange thing is that it's pretty similar to SnK in many ways, yet it's nowhere even remotely close to those levels of ratings. Is the animation really the only reason people hate on this show? Seems like a pretty cheap excuse to me
Jun 17, 2015 12:11 PM

May 2015
no its terrribly written
Jun 17, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2014
Animation is just as important as plot. The CGI is a complete turn off.
I love my gurlz
Jun 17, 2015 3:44 PM

Jan 2014
I agree, it's super underrated.
But I disagree about animation. To be honest, it's probably one of the best if not the best CGI out there. It's smooth and very well done, with all the nice cuts, camera views and effects and other details. I really would like to praise the animation director.
At first it looked strange, because it's unusual, but later on you simply get used to it. So I think it's just the matter of habits. Also, I think this anime simply wouldn't work with ordinary 2d animation.
TapuTapuuJun 17, 2015 3:47 PM
Jun 17, 2015 3:46 PM

Jul 2012
Zeus4President said:
Animation is just as important as plot. The CGI is a complete turn off.

i love the cgi so much. it makes the manga look mediocre since the cgi is so beautiful

HaXXspetten said:
The strange thing is that it's pretty similar to SnK in many ways, yet it's nowhere even remotely close to those levels of ratings. Is the animation really the only reason people hate on this show? Seems like a pretty cheap excuse to me

i think it's done better than SNK in terms of writing
Jun 17, 2015 3:51 PM

Jul 2012
noLoserguy said:
mayukachan said:

i think it's done better than SNK in terms of writing

aot had continuity this show not,explain

aot does not have continuity thats the thing. it lacks it because of the lack of foreshadowing.

sidonia has so much potential that it hasn't gone through yet. have you even read the manga?
Jun 17, 2015 5:46 PM
May 2014
Snaita said:
Not necessarily? Of course it justifies, why do you think they are always trying to improve it. Truth that story matters on the overall, that is why I only said that the animation is the only thing wrong. CGI is a tool why do you think the animation of the other shows I referred excel Sidonia's. A show made entirely of CGI isn't anime, want a good mix of CGI you have Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Ocarina of Time has been deemed to be one of the greatest games of all time. Crysis 3 on the other hand has been known to be one of the most graphically intense games for 2 (Nvidia) generations now. Despite the disparity in pixels, polygons, and frames, the latter has failed to achieve equivalent praise and recognition of the former. There are many factors beyond visual appeal that determine how great a game is. This concept, I would like to believe, also applies to animation.

For what Sidonia "lacks" in one department (in this case, animation), it makes up for in others, and that's not just referring to its story. As I have mentioned previously, Sidonia is directed in such a way the let's the audience feel as though they were part of the experience rather an outsider looking in. Most who have watched the show, however, will agree that the greatest strength of Sidonia lies within its sounds. Sounds of which possess a certain impact that really makes the show come to life.

Even then, that's not to say that the animation is Sidonia's greatest fault. In fact beyond the concept of "CGI character models," the animation is actually quite phenomenal. I strongly recommend that you open up to other animation mediums like CGI. You're really missing out on great series beyond just Sidonia.
TanukiKidJun 17, 2015 5:49 PM
Jun 17, 2015 8:14 PM

May 2014
Tbh Episode 1 of the first season put me off this show for months after it aired simply due to the different animation style w/ that icky low framerate.

I picked up again out of a whim and it's honestly been one of the best decisions I've made regarding anime. This show saved anime for me, possibly with sound alone.
Jun 18, 2015 4:02 AM

Jan 2014
WrongPriest said:
Tbh Episode 1 of the first season put me off this show for months after it aired simply due to the different animation style w/ that icky low framerate.

I picked up again out of a whim and it's honestly been one of the best decisions I've made regarding anime. This show saved anime for me, possibly with sound alone.

Exactly, same story with me.
Jun 19, 2015 6:22 AM

Jul 2013
Snaita said:
TanukiKid said:

Do graphics justify how good a video game is? Not necessarily. Like video games, animation is primarily used as a medium for conveying stories and ideas, not simply something you ogle at.

They improved video games graphics to go along with the ever improving technology, not because they have to. It doesn't make sense to stick to 16-bit sprites when the platform your game is being produced for can already process HD graphic.

Video game graphic doesn't (and will never) justify how good a game is. The prove is indie games popularity have been steadily on the rise for PC. Minecraft is one of the most popular games in the world and it has a graphic worse than Sega Genesis. World of Goo is so fucking simple yet it's better than hundreds of high graphic games out there. On the other hand we have tons of terrible games in PS3/PC despite their advanced graphics.

Back on topic though, personally I can't even begin to imagine Sidonia without CG. A lot of times especially during battle scenes I was actually thankful that it's CG because I don't think it'll ever look as good or as clear if it was traditionally drawn. With CG we don't have to worry about weird frames or terribly drawn faces as is often the case with traditional anime. Of course I'm not saying that all anime should switch to CG. Most anime CG is terrible when combined with traditional hand drawing but for those rare cases like Sidonia it is certainly better to just go full CG, I might even say that it's a stroke of genius on the producer's part. Personally I think people who shun CG just because it's not "anime" is no different than those old folks who shuns modern technology because they think it's evil.
Jun 21, 2015 1:12 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
CG in Sidonia is good. Second season already major improvement over first. Also this series is climbing into the top 500 so I don't think it will be "underrated" very soon once it's done.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 21, 2015 1:25 PM

Nov 2013
The CGI is an initial turn off, especially in the dialogue scenes (although not only does the animation improve throughout the season it improves greatly in S2, in my opinion).

However, any complaints I had about the CGI goes away after the action scenes. They are superb with CGI, and I have to say that's what gives the show some of its best parts.
Jun 21, 2015 2:17 PM
Aug 2009
Yohimo_asakura said:

At first it looked strange, because it's unusual, but later on you simply get used to it. So I think it's just the matter of habits. Also, I think this anime simply wouldn't work with ordinary 2d animation.

This. I was initially put off by the animation, but then looked for something to watch and gave this a shot, and never looked back since. The CGI grew on me pretty well.

First season was ok, but the second season is amazing. It's at least on par with SNK, which I also enjoyed a lot.
Jun 21, 2015 2:44 PM

Feb 2013
It's mediocre. The increase in bad humor this season certainly didn't help and the protagonist is extraordinarily boring.
Jun 23, 2015 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
Jun 23, 2015 9:26 PM

Jun 2015
i'll try to watch it :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2015 6:30 AM

Mar 2010
abyss333 said:
HONESTLY, THIS SHOW (BOTH SEASONS) DO NOT GET THE LOVE IT DESERVES. IT SHOULD BE WAY MORE POPULAR.

I find it very different from other anime and it sucks how more shitty shows are ranked higher than this and are more popular

/thread
Jun 29, 2015 4:22 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, I agree actually. I don't have a lot of CGI anime to compare it to and it did have its hiccups, but I'd generally say it pulled the style off. It really gave me hope for the inevitable trend of CGI anime. I can't imagine a 2d SnK looking better overall.
And if the visuals didn't deserve a medal, the sound absolutely does. For that alone I wish the studio every success.
Jun 30, 2015 10:49 PM

Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
noLoserguy said:

aot had continuity this show not,explain

aot does not have continuity thats the thing. it lacks it because of the lack of foreshadowing.

sidonia has so much potential that it hasn't gone through yet. have you even read the manga?

Lack of foreshadowing? Say what? You will be overwhelmed by the amount of foreshadowing the first season had. Obviously you won't notice it until you watch the second season.

On topic. Eh, I have watch a few episode of the 2nd season, I plan to watch the rest in the forcible future. The first season was a 710 but nothing special IMO.

Also you guys should stop taking your frustration out on snk. Its not snk fault that sidonia is not popular or not being rated well.

Snk could not have existed but in the end sidonia will still not be popular. As long as you like the series that's what really matters.
keragammingJun 30, 2015 10:54 PM
Jun 30, 2015 11:41 PM
Jun 2015
The opinions on cgi usage seem pretty snobish. It's like ewww... cgi... i'm too good for that :P. What the hell?

In truth the animation here is freaking superb. The use of cgi is perfect for this genre. I hope to see more just like this.
Jul 1, 2015 9:42 AM

Dec 2013
Most definitely, I wish this show was more popular but I still enjoy it regardless. And yes the CGI is something you have to get used but most people don't wanna give it the chance.
Jul 2, 2015 11:26 PM

Jan 2013
I'm a little baffled why this is underrated. Especially if some play video games with 3D graphics. It makes me wonder if they wouldn't try the 2D games from the SNES/Genesis era. Given there are some badly 3D animations within the anime medium but Sidonia isn't one of them.

For those on the fence for their CGi excuse, I mean on the fence to reconsider and give watching Sidonia. I put up spoiler action scenes from this post Here but shifted some around. Thanks to L-Ryoshi for the post.

They are intensive .gifs enclosed in the spoilers so excuse the lag that may occur on your end if you decide to check them. The first 4 are not spoilers but the rest are. View at your own discretion.

Jul 3, 2015 10:53 AM
May 2014
radle said:
snip

To add, these are from only 2 episodes.
Jul 3, 2015 4:02 PM

Dec 2010
This season in particular was a pretty blatant manga promo.

The first one is a different issue.
Dec 30, 2015 1:58 PM
Dec 2014
Snaita said:
Anime is about animation, the animation of this sucks what would you expect... It's different? Yeah, why should that make it good? Only the story is good, what you would expect of the creator of Blame!.<br />

Anime is a story telling medium. "First Gundam" and SDF Macross look like shit and yet I still rated them 9/10.
Jan 12, 2016 7:15 PM

Aug 2012
dapr said:
Yohimo_asakura said:

This. I was initially put off by the animation, but then looked for something to watch and gave this a shot, and never looked back since. The CGI grew on me pretty well.

First season was ok, but the second season is amazing. It's at least on par with SNK, which I also enjoyed a lot.

Same.

I usually HATE on 3D CGI in anime. . .

But here, it was pretty decent, bit weird in the first episodes but you quickly get used to it, and it made the environments and mecha battles 10/10.

And characters did look alright, the amount of "classic" anime that look like shit is too damn high and I'd take this 3D CGI over those any day of the week now.

I rated first season 8/10 & this one 9/10, simply cause the mecha battles and story was pretty good, and I loved almost every character.

Dunno why this isn't more popular...

Jan 12, 2016 7:26 PM

Mar 2014
The CGI is awesome, the robots and giant space monsters battling is pretty cool, but outside of that, I don't really like it. It's characters are totally unmemorable and the dialogue can be really cheesy. The world is interesting, I like it's cityscape shots, but we don't see enough of it. There's only one episode in the first season where the characters move around the city and actually do something that tells us a little about it. The ocean just let to a lot of really lame and cheesy moments.
Jan 13, 2016 11:00 PM
Dec 2008
I'm not gonna comment in depth since it will definitely turn into a rant but I'm more baffled at coming here and seeing it rated so highly. I'm used to plot points being ignored and shallow characters but dang did this hit me with a huge dose of indifference. I simply don't see what's so likable about this series
Aug 26, 2016 11:40 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah just recently a fans of polygon around, it's been 2 months now :v. At first I was persuades by my friend to watch Ajin, it took me a while to convince myself to watch it,, but, after finishing AJin series, I was like .. "um, I need to watch that again" ... damn, it's fantastic, I love it ... i watch Sidonia after that .. and it's good too .. their animation quality also increasing, from SnK to Ajin. The only issue from me is that their fps is a bit, bad for a 3d animation.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Nov 4, 2018 9:16 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
SNaG21 said:
The CGI is an initial turn off, especially in the dialogue scenes (although not only does the animation improve throughout the season it improves greatly in S2, in my opinion).

However, any complaints I had about the CGI goes away after the action scenes. They are superb with CGI, and I have to say that's what gives the show some of its best parts.

100% what I wanted to say, you perfectly conveyed how I felt since starting Sidonia.

Let me add, now to a more updated topic, Full Metal Panic IV had a great plot, nice animation and overall just an amazing action package that made previous season justice but I fell that people gave it alot of shit due to the mecha being CG, I had no problem with it, and it enabled them to have some really amazing fights there.
CG can be well done and Sidonia is the biggest example of this.
Nov 27, 2018 12:00 PM
Jan 2014
I hated season 2 so much. So much romantic soap opera shit I was gonna puke. In the last few episodes I had to constantly fast-forward that shit to get to a part with the story.

I wanted to watch an anime about sci-fi action mystery, to learn about the Gauna, to see the characters getting better at fighting and progress in the story. I don't give a damn about their feelings for each other. They dedicated too many episodes on this crap.

I remember season 1 was a lot better. If there is season 3, I will not watch it. I'm glad I'm finally done with this shitty anime.
Jan 27, 2021 3:46 PM

Oct 2019
TanukiKid said:
Snaita said:

Do graphics justify how good a video game is? Not necessarily. Like video games, animation is primarily used as a medium for conveying stories and ideas, not simply something you ogle at. While I do admit that the animation for Sidonia is a bit unusual at first, it never crossed my mind that the series was automatically bad. Besides, by comparison, of the aforementioned examples that feature CGI mecha, there's no denying that Sidonia is leagues above the competition, thanks to its combination of excellent camera work, superb sound direction, and a keen eye for detail that really immerse the audience within its universe.

I think 100% like you!
Incluso si nunca nos llegamos a ver otra vez,
vamos a estar unidos por el Abyss.
Jul 11, 2021 8:41 AM
May 2016
One of my favourite anime of all time. They used the CGI well despite its limitations. Romance was the primary focus and i didn't mind that one bit.

Read the manga if you haven't. Considering that the sequel movie takes an original route, it's the only way to get the author's ending.
Dec 3, 2021 6:22 PM

May 2016
Snaita said:
TanukiKid said:

am i reading this right?

By that logic, BF2042, which recently lost 70% of its steam players, would be one of the best, if not the best game of all time because all their effort went into graphics. Same with call of duty and other copy paste games..
Dec 15, 2021 3:24 PM

Nov 2019
I really did enjoy the show, a lot more ambitious than I thought
Mar 3, 2023 10:48 AM
Nov 2008
Idc about animation this show was super bad strory wise. Plot holes all around the place made it horrible to watch. Shitty harem jokes that didn't lead anywhere. I have no idea how someone can find it enjoyable. Like really for example Kunato walks into sealed room to find there like what? chibi enemy that noone had an idea was hiding there for 100 years? he cuts the head of his aide and takes over his body. Then uses his knowledge to make again what he did last time and everyone is like okeeeey fine you so smart kunato xD. How the fuq you can defedn this show when its full of bullshit like that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2015

163 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 1, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2015

104 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 1, 2023 2:30 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2015

63 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 1, 2023 1:55 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2015

61 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 1, 2023 1:07 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2015

75 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 1, 2023 11:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.