Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 11, 2015 8:00 AM

Jun 2015
i don't dislike it. the manga was better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2015 8:04 AM

Nov 2014
Forgetfulness said:
aikaflip said:

I can't recall. My brain flushed this anime out of my memory shortly after I watched it. I probably should have said stupid OR unrealistic. There may have been some degree of realism, but I vaguely remember someone doing something really stupid.
Okay...I mean it was literally like this (plot synopsis below)

Well, shit. I could be wrong. Like I said, I barely remember it, and I was probably too annoyed by something—likely the dialog—to look too deep into it or take it seriously. I'm re-watching it now out of curiosity to see if it's really as bad as I remember.
Jun 11, 2015 8:04 AM

Oct 2012
The movie expects me to care about characters which I know dick about because 99% of the scenes consist of someone being angsty and looking out into the distance or at a cellphone.
ShrabsterJun 11, 2015 8:14 AM

Jun 11, 2015 8:05 AM

Sep 2014
Because people can dislike whatever they want. Why do you care?
Jun 11, 2015 8:08 AM

Feb 2013
It was ok, nothing too special for me
And like other people said it's forgettable and the characters too, I don't even remember their names when I look at them
Jun 11, 2015 8:21 AM

Jan 2015
Forgetfulness said:
TokonatsuYuu said:

I blame the guy for not trying hard enough. The main character from Kimi no Iru Machi moves to Tokyo to find his girlfriend yet the guy from 5cps did nothing despite knowning their relationship has issues. But why I hated the movie was mainly because I feel like the director just wants to make audience cry by writing about an unlucky relationship. I think I would have cried if I didn't realize it from the first part (because its god dammed obvious). Its the only show I gave 1/10 I think xD
Maybe middle schoolers moving around the country for a friend isn't exactly feasible, especially since he lives on a different island.
Like even that one time in the movie he goes to meet her, it took him a while to plan + things still didn't go that well.

And well, I'm pretty sure losing touch with people that you no longer live with is pretty normal...at least that has been my experience so far in life.

I agree with you but i'm pretty sure the writer is using our life experience to his advantage so that people would actually think its a great piece of work. What do you think of the show actually? ^^
Jun 11, 2015 8:21 AM

Mar 2015
Imaishi said:
I dislike it because it really bored me despite being so short. Nothing entertaining about it, other than the music at the end.

I also don't see what's 'smart' or 'deep' about a story about a guy who can't get over some childhood love.

It's anything but "smart" or "deep". lol It's very simple, if not a tad too melodramatic. If you find poetic stuff like 5 Centimeters Per Second boring, then you might as well turn around and go look for something else that is fast-forward like an action series. With that said the backgrounds and overall visuals were stunning.
Jun 11, 2015 8:26 AM

Sep 2014
MrInfy said:
Imaishi said:
I dislike it because it really bored me despite being so short. Nothing entertaining about it, other than the music at the end.

I also don't see what's 'smart' or 'deep' about a story about a guy who can't get over some childhood love.

It's anything but "smart" or "deep". lol It's very simple, if not a tad too melodramatic. If you find poetic stuff like 5 Centimeters Per Second boring, then you might as well turn around and go look for something else that is fast-forward like an action series. With that said the backgrounds and overall visuals were stunning.

I know it's not, lol, that's why I said, isn't it? It's just that I have seen many people who call it that.
Jun 11, 2015 8:27 AM
Oct 2013
I don´t hate it and I acknowledge the work behind it, because visually it´s among the most beatiful Anime I´ve seen, but like mentioned several times, it´s boring.

Fucking nothing happens in that show.
Jun 11, 2015 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
Imaishi said:

It's not supposed to be 'smart' or 'deep', anyone who says otherwise is a pretentious asshole. It's just a slow, quiet and subtly dramatic romance.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jun 11, 2015 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
I didn't understand the story :P
When people asked 'why are you so quiet?',
just answer 'why are you not?'
Jun 11, 2015 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
promiser said:
The MCs were two childhood friends who had a mutual love interest, but as time flew, they had to cross paths and never see each other again
Jun 11, 2015 8:32 AM

Apr 2013
promiser said:

There's not much to not understand.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jun 11, 2015 8:33 AM

Jul 2011
Why not?
People can dislike anything they want.
Jun 11, 2015 8:35 AM

Nov 2014
Shrabster said:
The movie expects me to care about characters which I know dick about because 99% of the scenes consist of someone being angsty and looking out into the distance or at a cellphone.

Lmao. You hit the nail on the head. I'm re-watching it now. And the dialog in this movie... "The overwhelming weight of our lives to come and the uncertainty of time hung over us. But... the creeping anxiety that had taken hold of me would soon gradually melt away. And all that remained would be the feeling of Akari's soft lips." Young teenagers aren't this damn eloquent. And if they're this insightful, they could have found a way to make their relationship work.
Jun 11, 2015 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
Shrabster said:

Well you do have a point, but the show focused on themes about drifting apart and loneliness, not the characters themselves.

But I do agree that they should have characterized the characters more especially the female childhood friend since we never get to see her perspective at all. They developed the wrong girl IMO. Episode two was pretty pointless.

Still, I didn't think childhood love could last that long. Must be intense. He couldn't even forget about her after he had sex with the megane girl who he had been with for two years.
Jun 11, 2015 8:38 AM

Dec 2012
aikaflip said:
Shrabster said:

Lmao. You hit the nail on the head. I'm re-watching it now. And the dialog in this movie... "The overwhelming weight of our lives to come and the uncertainty of time hung over us. But... the creeping anxiety that had taken hold of me would soon gradually melt away. And all that remained would be the feeling of Akari's soft lips." Young teenagers aren't this damn eloquent. And if they're this insightful, they could have found a way to make their relationship work.

He reads books, that could explain his eloquence, and monologues.
Jun 11, 2015 8:39 AM

Mar 2015
why this thread not moved yet?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 11, 2015 8:41 AM

Apr 2015
because it's meaningless shit but everyone hypes it
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jun 11, 2015 8:49 AM

Nov 2014
tsudecimo said:
aikaflip said:

The girl is just as deep though. In the beginning she talks about the speed at which cherry blossoms fall, hence the title of the movie—5 centimeters per second. Personally, I like poetic dialog, and I think these lines by themselves are actually pretty good, but they sound odd being said with such seriousness by middle schoolers.
Jun 11, 2015 8:54 AM

Oct 2012
Tenshi_Shura said:
Shrabster said:

Well you do have a point, but the show focused on themes about drifting apart and loneliness, not the characters themselves.

But I do agree that they should have characterized the characters more especially the female childhood friend since we never get to see her perspective at all. They developed the wrong girl IMO. Episode two was pretty pointless.

Still, I didn't think childhood love could last that long. Must be intense. He couldn't even forget about her after he had sex with the megane girl who he had been with for two years.
I can concede that its main focus was not the characters, but that's also why it doesn't work. The movie doesn't really say anything important about the themes (loneliness, drifting apart) it focuses on either, other than the painfully basic and cliched notion of "moving on" so at the end of the day it doesn't work on that level or as a story.

Jun 11, 2015 8:58 AM

Dec 2012
aikaflip said:
tsudecimo said:

The girl is just as deep though. In the beginning she talks about the speed at which cherry blossoms fall, hence the title of the movie—5 centimeters per second. Personally, I like poetic dialog, and I think these lines by themselves are actually pretty good, but they sound odd being said with such seriousness by middle schoolers.

They both met, while reading books, or they were the only two people who read a certain book I don't remmeber. But year I get your point.
Jun 11, 2015 9:03 AM

Oct 2012
tsudecimo said:
aikaflip said:

They both met, while reading books, or they were the only two people who read a certain book I don't remmeber. But year I get your point.
Wouldn't the most logical answer be the movie is just highly romanticized?

Jun 11, 2015 9:32 AM

Oct 2014
Forgetfulness said:
Okay...I mean it was literally like this (plot synopsis below)

Huh? Realism? Lol. I guess that's true because it's realistic to have some ridiculous fantasy of some childhood friend you had but didn't bother to pursue, then end up crushed because you somehow circle back to this fantasy years later.

From the movie itself, there was no reason given as to why he stopped contacting her (what is this "lost contact info" did you just make this up? lol). Though if that was what was intended there wasn't any obvious indication of why he would be so irrational if he did indeed love her. He was writing text messages which he never sent (can't remember whether or not he had her number, or if he even bothered to ask for contact info). Which to me is kind of some pathetic step back especially after they

That's ultimately the thing that stops me being empathetic. It feels detached from reality and disillusioned to believe a lack of effort would somehow lead to some glamorous, overly optimistic belief that a person would not move on after you cease all contact with them. Needless to say, that's far from how relationships work in reality. You need to do something instead of just fantasize.

akaiflip said:

Young teenagers aren't this damn eloquent. And if they're this insightful, they could have found a way to make their relationship work.

There's nothing wrong with being eloquent, would you rather them use child language? Then people'd just criticize the show for being juvenile. Being expressive isn't the same as being romanticized or melodramatic.
MintJun 11, 2015 9:47 AM
Jun 11, 2015 9:39 AM

Oct 2013
Because it is mediocre at best. Boring story with terrible ending. The visuals were the only thing that made me finish it.
Jun 11, 2015 11:46 AM

Nov 2014
MintPanda said:
akaiflip said:
Young teenagers aren't this damn eloquent. And if they're this insightful, they could have found a way to make their relationship work.

There's nothing wrong with being eloquent, would you rather them use child language?

No, because that would be taking it to the other extreme. There's nothing inherently wrong with young teens having the literary sophistication of an English professor, but I can't suspend my disbelief long enough to buy it.
Jun 11, 2015 11:53 AM

Jan 2015
Forgetfulness said:
TokonatsuYuu said:

I agree with you but i'm pretty sure the writer is using our life experience to his advantage so that people would actually think its a great piece of work. What do you think of the show actually? ^^
My thoughts on the movie?

Well yeah, it wouldn't actually surprise me if Makoto Shinkai used personal experience to come up with the story. The appeal for me is the realism and just that it highlights something that happens in everyday life. I can't really think of any other anime that have specifically focused on people drifting away over time because of their distance.
For me it's not really something really sad that would like make me cry (well I don't usually cry to anime anyway), but instead its appeal is that it illustrates a depressing reality.

I think post #32 in this thread also does a really good job explaining why I like the movie

Oh, and also production value is top notch

Ahaha you just said my other main reason for hating this show. It wants to potray reality and teaches us about moving on. But i watch anime as i know its unreal. Maybe other anime watchers feel the same as me, they want a fairytale end at least in their fantasty world.
Jun 11, 2015 12:18 PM

Jan 2015
Forgetfulness said:
TokonatsuYuu said:
Ahaha you just said my other main reason for hating this show. It wants to potray reality and teaches us about moving on. But i watch anime as i know its unreal. Maybe other anime watchers feel the same as me, they want a fairytale end at least in their fantasty world.
That's fine, it's just not your cup of tea I guess
Ahaahah yeap. On the other hand, i really loved movies like 500 days of summer XDD
Jun 11, 2015 12:22 PM

Oct 2014
Forgetfulness said:
I thought it was pretty obvious that their letters slowed down over time because they weren't like friends that lived near each other anymore. This might just be me, but every time I've moved I've felt less reason to talk to people that I used to talk with like daily, even though I can literally click on their name on Facebook and send a message if I wanted. (but let me know if this is not your experience with moving places)

Of course it is, for the friends you don't plan on keeping. Sure you won't especially if you're not physically meeting them anymore. Except all my good friends I am still in constant contact with no less than I was (in fact to an extent interact even more with online) after moving. It's natural to forget the forgettable, but not when it's someone you are truly valuing, let alone someone you're fantasizing to be your supposed soulmate even after years of no contact (as the movie suggests).

I am in a 5, almost 6 year relationship with my girlfriend having to do this current year via long-distance because she entered university a year after me and I've already graduated and moved. I don't contact her less just because there is some physical distance between us.

Forgetfulness said:

And anyway, why are we making the assumption that he was the one who stopped contacting? Let's not forget that Akari was the one who could actually move on so if anything I think it's more likely to have been her. And well...once one person stops I think it's harder to start up again considering they were still using snailmail in the movie

Does it matter who stopped? The point is that someone stopped trying and even though he supposedly still loves her so much he stopped. The line should end there. Whether Akari was the one who stopped doesn't mean Takaki should especially if he still has an interest in her even if she doesn't. And if she didn't he should eventually understand that and move on, not continually be emotionally invested in a relationship or a future that no longer exists. Especially years later. It makes no sense.

Forgetfulness said:

Yeah, he didn't have her phone #, and that's what I mean when I said they lost contact information, or else he would have sent his messages after taking all the time to actually type them out. I think it's not hard to infer that they got cellphones after their snailmail communication slowed to a stop and I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to show happened.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Anyway, sure it's obvious communication regressed. But why did one clearly move on and the other was still so invested and stuck? There was no indication that he tried hard to find her contact info or that it somehow didn't reach him and he was distressed. He wasn't. He just forgot about it, yet contradicting that notion still seemed passively emotionally invested, trying to live out this fantasy for years (and consequentially ignoring reality).
Jun 11, 2015 12:35 PM

Jan 2015
MintPanda said:
Forgetfulness said:
I thought it was pretty obvious that their letters slowed down over time because they weren't like friends that lived near each other anymore. This might just be me, but every time I've moved I've felt less reason to talk to people that I used to talk with like daily, even though I can literally click on their name on Facebook and send a message if I wanted. (but let me know if this is not your experience with moving places)

Of course it is, for the friends you don't plan on keeping. Sure you won't especially if you're not physically meeting them anymore. Except all my good friends I am still in constant contact with no less than I was (in fact to an extent interact even more with online) after moving. It's natural to forget the forgettable, but not when it's someone you are truly valuing, let alone someone you're fantasizing to be your supposed soulmate even after years of no contact (as the movie suggests).

I am in a 5, almost 6 year relationship with my girlfriend having to do this current year via long-distance because she entered university a year after me and I've already graduated and moved. I don't contact her less just because there is some physical distance between us.

Forgetfulness said:

And anyway, why are we making the assumption that he was the one who stopped contacting? Let's not forget that Akari was the one who could actually move on so if anything I think it's more likely to have been her. And well...once one person stops I think it's harder to start up again considering they were still using snailmail in the movie

Does it matter who stopped? The point is that someone stopped trying and even though he supposedly still loves her so much he stopped. The line should end there. Whether Akari was the one who stopped doesn't mean Takaki should especially if he still has an interest in her even if she doesn't. And if she didn't he should eventually understand that and move on, not continually be emotionally invested in a relationship or a future that no longer exists. Especially years later. It makes no sense.

Forgetfulness said:

Yeah, he didn't have her phone #, and that's what I mean when I said they lost contact information, or else he would have sent his messages after taking all the time to actually type them out. I think it's not hard to infer that they got cellphones after their snailmail communication slowed to a stop and I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to show happened.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Anyway, sure it's obvious communication regressed. But why did one clearly move on and the other was still so invested and stuck? There was no indication that he tried hard to find her contact info or that it somehow didn't reach him and he was distressed. He wasn't. He just forgot about it, yet contradicting that notion still seemed passively emotionally invested, trying to live out this fantasy for years (and consequentially ignoring reality).

Ahahaha i think i would have loved the movie if the guy tried A LOT harder. His passiveness kind of makes me think he deserved that ending.
Jun 11, 2015 3:31 PM

Jun 2014
>Poetry, and subtlety

internet: Deep and edgy kek fuken shit

IRL: clever, interesting and sophisticated

omg ignoramus
[center]
Jun 12, 2015 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
I think that this happens because people watch this movie with wrong kind of expectation.
Some go into it thinking that it will be an easy feel trip, like Clannad or something, others go into it expecting a somewhat conventional love story. It's none of those.

First of all, this movie is one that should be analyzed over and over again, it's genuinelly thought provoking, poetic and subtle, a point which is missed by most of the audience focusing on the "love story" aspect of it. This film isn't about love, it's about distance, regrets, and, ultimately, nostalgia. It's not strictly speaking a melodrama, altough the director nods to the genre in the ending clip. While some people say that the theme has been done to death, it's the drector's take on it that's so appealing.

Another constant complaint is that it is a slow film. It sure is, as it focus on the aestethic pacing other than the narrative one, a technique inherited from classical asian cinema (Ozu, Mizuguchi, Tarkovsky), not common to the most "westernized" japanese directors, such as Kurosawa (with some exceptions, Dersu Uzala comes to my mind) and Miyazaki, which present stories easier to an western audience to like.

It's not an easy film to the common public, speacially not the one not used into watching a more minimalistic kind of movie, like the people who watch mainly anime movies and/or blockbusters. And I don't think there's a problem with this. This is the kind of movie that will never have universal acclaim within the public, but you can expect it to be present on a list of the best animated movies of our time in some 20 years.

EDIT: I don't extend my praise of this movie to the whole of Shinkai's work though. While I do think he has potential, for now this movie remains his best one by FAR.
LacertossJun 12, 2015 2:47 PM
Jun 12, 2015 8:25 PM

Oct 2014
HalfMoons said:

You do realize there isnt anything deep about it.. Its a simple love story.. Wtf

HalfMoons said:
>Poetry, and subtlety

omg ignoramus

1/10 3rd rate troll.

Lacertoss said:

First of all, this movie is one that should be analyzed over and over again, it's genuinelly thought provoking, poetic and subtle, a point which is missed by most of the audience focusing on the "love story" aspect of it. This film isn't about love, it's about distance, regrets, and, ultimately, nostalgia. It's not strictly speaking a melodrama, altough the director nods to the genre in the ending clip. While some people say that the theme has been done to death, it's the drector's take on it that's so appealing.

Haha wow. Very poetic and subtle. I must be a neanderthal to miss all this. Even a 5 year old child could tell this was about regret and distance. Could you give some examples of this exemplary subtle symbolism or writing that the layman would miss? I can agree it's definitely not about love. If anything it's a story with the moral of "don't live in a fantasy world or you'll end up like this idiot".

Lacertoss said:

Another constant complaint is that it is a slow film. It sure is, as it focus on the aestethic pacing other than the narrative one, a technique inherited from classical asian cinema (Ozu, Mizuguchi, Tarkovsky), not common to the most "westernized" japanese directors, such as Kurosawa (with some exceptions, Dersu Uzala comes to my mind) and Miyazaki, which present stories easier to an western audience to like.

I'm sorry but boring or badly written =/= slow. The film was way too fast paced so I'm not sure where you got that from. What on earth is aesthetic pacing? Are you just making up terminology to sound sophisticated? Pacing has to do with narrative, period. Poor writing and poor pacing are just fundamental flaws.

Lacertoss said:

It's not an easy film to the common public, speacially not the one not used into watching a more minimalistic kind of movie, like the people who watch mainly anime movies and/or blockbusters. And I don't think there's a problem with this. This is the kind of movie that will never have universal acclaim within the public, but you can expect it to be present on a list of the best animated movies of our time in some 20 years.

Let's not forget the terrible voice acting. Or is that supposed to be minimalistic too? The only thing this movie has going for it is its visuals. Nothing in the entire world will receive universal acclaim. It's already a movie which got way more hype than it deserved.
Jun 12, 2015 9:19 PM

Jul 2013
Haha wow. Very poetic and subtle. I must be a neanderthal to miss all this. Even a 5 year old child could tell this was about regret and distance. Could you give some examples of this exemplary subtle symbolism or writing that the layman would miss? I can agree it's definitely not about love. If anything it's a story with the moral of "don't live in a fantasy world or you'll end up like this idiot".

I'm sorry but boring or badly written =/= slow. The film was way too fast paced so I'm not sure where you got that from. What on earth is aesthetic pacing? Are you just making up terminology to sound sophisticated? Pacing has to do with narrative, period. Poor writing and poor pacing are just fundamental flaws.

Let's not forget the terrible voice acting. Or is that supposed to be minimalistic too? The only thing this movie has going for it is its visuals. Nothing in the entire world will receive universal acclaim. It's already a movie which got way more hype than it deserved.

Sorry, I won't try to explain to you the symbolism in the movie, you can pretty much read any of the great number of reviews there are around the internet about it. I'm a bit lazy for this kind of stuff and I'm a terrible reviewer anyway, so you are better reading it from somebody else.
By aesthetic pacing, I mean letting the narrative into 2nd plan, and letting visuals and backgrounds speak for you. Have you ever watched Andrey Rublev, by Tarkovsky? Think about the 3rd segment of that movie "The Passion According to Andrey", how the narrative pacing is completely abandoned from that point on to focus solely on the procession and the character's monologue. It's a classic technic from eastern movies, which is done to simulate the introspective feeling and existencial emptiness you get while reading works such as Dostoievski's. Dostoievski himself makes use of a different variation of this strategy on a literary level, as is often said that St.Petersburg is a character in his books which in itself is a remnant of the great Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, but I digress.
Also, I don't see the problem with the voice acting. Sure, they are not your typical anime voices, but it has the same style of voice acting than Ghibli and Hosoda's movies and no one seems to care about that. (Altough in Hosoda's case, specially Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, it can get a little distracting.)

Anyway, I don't really like to act as a big shot, as I don't consider myself very knowledgeable, and I really don't want to pick a fight with you, just clarify the OP's question to why people hate this movie, but I really think that you should abandon your "it's a melodrama!" or even "it's a romance" prejudice against it and watch it one more time, as the beautiful, existentialist and minimalist movie it is. Have you ever read anything from Murakami or watched anything by Terrace Malick or Tarkovski? I suggest you to watch this movie as you are watching something from them, it may give you a new perspective on it.
Please, understand, I'm not comparing Shinkai's writing to these monsters, I'm just saying that he was clearly influenced by them (and Yasujiro Ozu as well), and this movie mimicks their styles very much. Don't compare his style to Miyazaki, and PLEASE don't think of this as something that Key might have done (I have nothing against Key, tho), compare him to those guys.
It's a beautiful movie, honestly, one of my all time favourites (even though it's not at the level of the great directors on the theme). If you still don't like it, ok. As I said this won't ever get universal acclaim. But at least you won't hate it based on misconceptions.

EDIT: Dunno if I can post youtube stuff here, but here it's the Andrei Rublev scene I talked about. Without the full movie you can't quite understand it that well, but if I think it can be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1FmE2t9Y_I
LacertossJun 12, 2015 9:32 PM
Jun 13, 2015 3:46 AM

Jun 2014
[quote=MintPanda]
HalfMoons said:

You do realize there isnt anything deep about it.. Its a simple love story.. Wtf

HalfMoons said:
>Poetry, and subtlety

omg ignoramus

1/10 3rd rate troll.

Waaaaat, I swear I am not l33t
[center]
Jun 15, 2015 6:35 AM
Jun 2015
Because they want happy endings. But I like this movie... I think it's very poetic and runs deep into the writer's heart.
Jul 6, 2015 4:52 PM

Apr 2012
From what I see above, maybe because it's lack some detail?
And the director just let the watchers to imagine it.

Still, for me who doesn't care thing about that, I love this movie
Jul 15, 2015 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
I'll try to answer the Question.

Why do people dislike this? Because:
A) They don't understand it
B) They can't relate to it
C) They don't appreciate it

I was a bit of both A & B. That was about a year ago. I'm going to rewatch the movie- my views on it will have probably changed.

I'd like to read the source material, if possible. Could someone point me in the right direction? Or is the movie itself the source?
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jul 15, 2015 10:16 PM

Jul 2013
NoongaJuice said:
I'll try to answer the Question.

Why do people dislike this? Because:
A) They don't understand it
B) They can't relate to it
C) They don't appreciate it

I was a bit of both A & B. That was about a year ago. I'm going to rewatch the movie- my views on it will have probably changed.

I'd like to read the source material, if possible. Could someone point me in the right direction? Or is the movie itself the source?

The movie itself is the source material. There are a manga and a LN based on the movie, and while they do clarify some points that were left to imagination, imho both are extremely underwhelming. If you are not a huge fan, who seeks every single bit of information, you should probably stick to the movie.
Jul 18, 2015 11:53 PM

Aug 2013
I just finished it right now and I must say, for a drama I thought it was pretty weak. I expected the last part to hit the hardest given how these things work but it felt rather happy.

First part was my favorite as you can feel where each character is coming from and it's almost like a greek tragedy in that he had accounted for everything in his plan except for the snow, so the characters despite being likable and good find themselves affected by outside circumstances. I honestly was bracing myself to find him entering an empty station or being forced to go home without seeing her due to the snow problem.

It was really well executed with amazing visuals and the kiss and everything that led to it was so romantic. Also it kinda shows how much he loves her as while I selfishly thought, 'please let her still be here, let her still be waiting at the station' he wished she had gone home and not risk it with the cold. That actually hit me hard as it made me realize I was being pretty selfish and gave him points.

The way they parted ways made me brace myself for the hits coming from the other two stories but alas, they didn't come. The tanned girl was likable but she made her decision, maybe he could have reciprocated and agree that probably they would have no happy ending due to him still loving his childhood friend but making her choose not to confess made it somewhat happy as she finally got over it.

And the last part looked more like an AMV than a story, to the point I wondered if I was watching the Opening or something. In the end she married which shows she wasn't that in love with him and he managed to move on.

I find difficult to emphatize with drama caused by the characters themselves. He got depressed and left his job, making things harder. But the fact he made the decisions that led to his state means I don't feel bad about him. Overall he recovered and I guess everyone is happy in a way.

So don't think it's a bad movie, just that as others mentioned, the first chapter was the best and could have worked better as a stand alone.
Jul 28, 2015 4:23 AM

Feb 2012
Manga is better. The movie tries to hard to make you care for characters i barely know. In the end i simply didnt and the film is forgettable. Just rewatched it today after 7 years and lowered the score by a point.

Like all Shinkai movies, they would have benefited if they were longer. Its not bad though it just there.
Aug 17, 2015 5:20 AM
Jan 2013
The first episode was great. You can kind of relate to the characters, their feelings etc. If the movie only consisted of this episode I'd give it a 10/10.

The second episode wasn't as good, imho. Yeah, the main character is crushed under his love/pain, so he doesn't show emotion, but still it hasn't really the same emotional influence. It kind of prepares you for an ending that'd make sense (he finishes his study and goes to Tokyo where he finally meets the girl). However..

The third part is where they decided to make it into a real drama. Instead of a good ending they decided to make it depressive and lame. Basically there could be 2 good endings, in one he just lets the girl go, in the second he's together with her. What we see is neither.

What's the point of just torturing yourself just thinking about the person you love and how you'll never meet again? Finding out her personal info so you can meet with her would be like 15 mins work (and the guy works with computers, so he definitely knows how) . What do you have to lose? Either you get rejected and you can finally close that chapter of your life, or you get the girl of your dreams. Sounds like a good deal right? Especially after all that time he had to wait and suffer (10+ years)? I spend most of the movie waiting like that cowboy from tatami galaxy but was disappointed, on the surface it may look sensible but if you think about it it's just lame.

That's of course if you disregard the obvious: when he moved to Tokyo for his job he could have contacted her easily. They didn't show that meeting, or him being rejected, or the girl loosing her feelings for him. So the ending just doesn't make any sense. What is there to relate to? A guy that's either gone mad or lost his balls? And what's the hidden meaning of the movie? Just give up instead of trying? Japanese culture is strange.

Still art and music were great so 8/10
aeiosAug 17, 2015 5:23 AM
Aug 18, 2015 3:11 PM

Oct 2014
I think the first episode should have been a 45 min movie like Garden of Words. It made me cry back then.

I didn't really like the rest of it. The MC should have ended up with the second girl.

I read the manga but it doesn't really tell you if they end up together, and she just got off an emotional phone call with another guy, so i'm not really sure what to think.
Aug 31, 2015 9:54 PM

Mar 2010
I thought it was vapid scenery porn.
Sep 11, 2015 11:41 AM

Apr 2009
Cause everybody wants a happy ending.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2015 11:43 AM

Feb 2015
ezaya said:
Cause everybody wants a happy ending.

I don't I want a good ending.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.