Forum Settings
Forums

Wanted: Social Media Team Members & Page Feedback

New
Jun 8, 2015 7:31 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
We are currently looking for helpful individuals who have a passion for anime/manga and MAL's community, and would like to be part of MAL's staff.

This is a new position for the purposes of helping to run our social media pages (e.g. Facebook) and promote good user/database content. If you enjoy keeping on top of currently airing series and/or what's happening in MAL's community, and would like to inform members about MAL content and anime/manga information, this is the position for you.

Please note that all moderator positions are voluntary.

A Social Media Team Member's duties include:
  • Knowing, understanding, and executing our internal guidelines.
  • Cooperating with other staff members to promote good community/database content on our social media pages.
  • Monitoring community activity and finding interesting content to promote.
  • Writing engaging posts in your own words.
  • Developing fresh and fun ideas for mini-polls/contests/etc. to keep the social media pages entertaining.
  • Idling in our Staff IRC channel as often as possible. This is important, as it's the quickest way to communicate with the rest of the moderator team.

A Social Media Team Member must:
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Possess good English skills, with the ability to write engaging posts from scratch.
  • Have enough time to perform moderator duties on a daily basis.

To apply for a Social Media Team position, please send me a PM with the following:
  • Age & time zone.
  • English writing skill level (beginner, intermediate, advanced, native).
  • A list of which social media sites you currently use (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
  • Some anime/manga industry related pages on those sites you monitor frequently (e.g. MAL).
  • A selection of anime/manga/MAL related posts you've made on any social media site (links or screenshots; feel free to black out your real name).
  • At least one paragraph describing why you are interested and why you feel you are well-suited for this position.

Submissions will be open for two weeks, ending on Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 23:59 Pacific Time.
Anyone who cannot follow these simple instructions will owe Kineta a kitty gif.

We look forward to reading your applications! Thank you for your interest :)

For those not interested in applying, but who still regularly use our social media pages, we'd like to take this opportunity to ask:

What content would you like to see (more of) on the page you are currently following?
Please post in this thread and indicate FB, Twitter, etc.

PS. Don't forget that our Facebook Cover Design Contest is still open for another 2 days!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 8, 2015 7:34 AM

Nov 2011
Good luck to anyone that applies :3

This sounds like a lot of fun btw. Also looking forward to the winner of the FB cover design contest.
Jun 8, 2015 7:35 AM

Mar 2012
2015 is the year of change for MAL.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 8, 2015 7:46 AM

Feb 2014
Good luck to all those applying!

NeoAnkara said:
2015 is the year of change for MAL.

It is indeed :)

Jun 8, 2015 7:55 AM

Mar 2014
Can't

My birthday is the 9/11/2016 :(
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 8, 2015 7:56 AM
Mar 2015
Wish I could apply, sadly I'm not 18 yet T^T
trebmeg said:
Good luck to all those applying!
Jun 8, 2015 8:00 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Sounds interesting and tempting for some reason lol

in the FB page more contest from MAL/clubs/forums, recommendations of games from clubs/forums, even something like a "this week our staff recommend x anime/manga"....

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jun 8, 2015 8:16 AM

Jan 2013
I'm younger than 18 :(
Jun 8, 2015 9:36 AM

Mar 2015
I wish I was 18 now!
Jun 8, 2015 10:20 AM
Mar 2014
Kineta said:
What content would you like to see (more of) on the page you are currently following?

First of all, thank you for the opportunity to discuss this. My views on it are something I've wanted to make light of for a while, but I never really had the chance to do so. (I follow the Twitter page, but occasionally I get linked to the Facebook posts by friends.)

MAL's social media pages feel concerningly impersonal and exhausted; there is little to no actual incentive to actually follow them aside from showing you like the site, and the mass of anime news and updates it shares is the sole reason for that. MyAnimeList is not Anime News Network, it's a site of its own—a community-oriented database, really. This is not to say you should refrain from sharing news and the like, but why is that its primary selling point? To represent a community website, you need much more user interaction, whether it be through open-ended questions or even saying how good a certain anime is. It creates discussion. As it stands, you are using a forum as an advertising platform, and that really doesn't work; it can lead to some pretty cringeworthy material when done incorrectly.

So how can you fix it? Well, asking for feedback and finding volunteers is a wonderful first step. Furthermore, you must ensure that everyone you choose for the job is equally passionate and responsible in their duties. Even if the social media accounts are off-site, the content needs to stick to what makes MyAnimeList what it is. Don't just post things and link to the relevant site page. Remember: you are not selling a product, you are representing a community.

Kineta/Luna/whoever - feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this or get feedback further, but I've only run accounts in the 3000 followers range.
vegetablespiritJun 8, 2015 10:25 AM
Jun 8, 2015 10:49 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thanks for your feedback, vodall.

We fully agree that the pages haven't done a good job at representing MAL itself up until now. The FB page has primarily been run by one individual who wasn't as well-versed in the community as we are and also had a number of other tasks to see to outside of the pages. This person has done a great job with what resources they had and our page has grown wonderfully. However, like you, we would also like to see change. And this largely part of why we're finally looking at getting a dedicated team who knows the community and knows what people are talking about now, to help us run that.

With this new team, we'll be evaluating what types of content we'd like to be the focus of the pages (also keeping in mind that variety is the spice of life). This is why we're asking for feedback from the community now as well. Concise feedback of the types of content users would like to see there will help us to shape the pages.

Please keep in mind that the social media pages hold two purposes: both to engage our existing community and to incite new users to want to be part of our community. So part of the social media pages does involve linking back to MAL. But we fully agree that this isn't what the page should solely be.
Jun 8, 2015 10:56 AM

Mar 2013
I've finally decided to drop the general activity in the virtual world and focus far more on the real one, with pretty much the only active website participation being personal on social networks. Therefore, while I am bound to be active on social networks such as Facebook and Twitter (others as well), it is mainly for the sake of socializing with my friends and working on various projects together. I'm not interested in anything where I wouldn't be using my real identity or where it wouldn't effect my future's progress in the productive way, so not applying. Good luck to anyone who does, though.

Kineta said:
Please post in this thread and indicate FB, Twitter, etc.

As far as Twitter is concerned, there's never too much of cute and sexy pictures, I guess. So checking them out while working would be sweet. Like a Picture of the Day (PotD) feature or alike, something we already hold in quite a few community clubs here at MAL.

Facebook, on the other hand, could be something more like a place where relatively funny or "omg, that is so true!" anime pictures/thoughts could be shared. Similar to what Fortafy and Daniel Amos are currently doing there, just anime-styled.

Having entertainment-focused posts over facts on both would be nice, which would potentially, at the end of the day, also attract more new people than raw facts about some news or additions to anime and manga around.
Jun 8, 2015 10:59 AM

Feb 2015
Ok...

As someone who has been.. paid.. to do social media for internet communities and been involved in the machinations of some large corporations and previously had my own website to boot with its own social media footprint..

What does MAL want to accomplish via social media - heck, what does it think social media can do for it?

You're essentially a review databse and forum. You register people in your own context and don't really adopt social logins because the anonymity granted by your interface is preferred for this context. People don't want everyone knowing their real name and their real life friends knowing they reviewed some Hentai - this is not moms sharing their family vacation photos to promote a trip to some destination.

What do you think you're going to accomplish?

And to use Facebook or Twitter you need a content stream.. which you seem to think is going to be the user reviews..? This confuses me. Do you have a defined format for processing and packaging that content for social media distribution and consumption..? I have some ideas on how that "could" work but it's really not an obvious fit. Is there a constant supply of "News" in the industry that this website curates and i'm unaware of? I see sales ranks and some release info, but that doesn't seem to be the core product...

It's like you're trying to comodify and monetize things that aren't your actual product - you import in those release info dumps and sales stats - and then piggybacking it onto what you do produce, which is the reviews.. though they're really not that directly related.

I'm lost. What exactly are you trying to do again..? An example of what you think your posts to social media should be..? And maybe an explanation as to why those should exist and why anyone would want to read them..?

Click bait like "Japan's Top 10 Manga This Week! You WONT BELIEVE Number 7!" wont work.. just sayin..
Jun 8, 2015 11:03 AM

Mar 2013
aloricg said:
What does MAL want to accomplish via social media - heck, what does it think social media can do for it?
What do you think you're going to accomplish?

I don't mean to sound rude, but having social networks set up purely for the sake of advertisement of the main website/product alone isn't a new thing around. If you were paid for it, I'm rather amazed you wouldn't know that.

Judging based on previous actions made on these social networks, that's precisely what MAL's social networks are trying to accomplish. For example, in a competition, giving 1 point by pressing like and 3 points by pressing share is already a huge indicator of just-that. Shares alert the friend network of the page while likes make it seem approved by the masses. More likes and shares combined, more chance it will lure new people in if the content shared is nifty and well-thought-out.

Those that know what they are posting on social networks gain audience and indirectly members on their websites, which increases activity and directly income from the ads/subscriptions.
Jun 8, 2015 11:06 AM

Feb 2015
You can't advertise the main page if it doesn't have content though. Google ads are one thing, but social media relies on constant production of content.

There's no content here to lure people in.

And a "share" button is not the same as the job they're asking to be done here. They want their own social media distribution channels.

You need a steady stream of content for that.

Take for example.. a car dealership. It has a physical product. It's "news" or the stream are sales, promotions, etc.. Those get posted. People see the "deal" and then go to the website to get more info and hopefully buy a car.

What is MAL's product? MAL appears to be driven on click-thru and impressions from ad servers who pay for the views and clicks of their advertisements. That means you need to get people to the page to "read content."

Which brings me back to - which content? A randoms stream of "Oo, look at the page for Attack on Titan" and "Oo, this user has a nifty Anime list" isn't really content of interest.

Nothing here is produced as a viable piece of "of-value" content to monetize for pageviews and ad clicks. It's not like MAL is selling anime itself.
aloricgJun 8, 2015 11:13 AM
Jun 8, 2015 11:10 AM

Mar 2013
The point is not to directly connect the content of the social network's posts with the main website's focus, but simply get MyAnimeList's name out. When that's done, people check the social network's page and see the description of what the main site is about. If they become interested, they end up joining.

The connection doesn't have to be big between the content shared on social media and what the main website focuses on. It can simply be anime or manga, just interesting enough for the masses/majority. As said, key factor is to make that first step: let the people around the world know MAL exists. From there, it's their choice.

There are tactics to lure people even further from there on, but I wonder if it would work with MAL.
Jun 8, 2015 11:14 AM

Feb 2015
Subpyro said:
The point is not to directly connect the content of the social network's posts with the main website's focus, but simply get MyAnimeList's name out. When that's done, people check the social network's page and see the description of what the main site is about. If they become interested, they end up joining.

The connection doesn't have to be big between the content shared on social media and what the main website focuses on. It can simply be anime or manga, just interesting enough for the masses/majority. As said, key factor is to make that first step: let the people around the world know MAL exists. From there, it's their choice.

There are tactics to lure people even further from there on, but I wonder if it would work with MAL.

That's not social, that's spam.

Buy Google AdWords ads and don't piss people off on social media by spamming them with something they may have little to no interest in seeing.
Jun 8, 2015 11:20 AM

Mar 2013
After saying that you used to be paid to administrate social networks you surely aren't showing any knowledge of what people around the world like to see. You call it spam, but saying that everyone will dislike it is missing the point for 180 degrees.

Check the most followed (and one more) anime page on Facebook (besides Tokyo Otaku Mode) and tell me, what kind of content do you see? Quick. To the point. Instantaneous.

Likewise, it goes for pages that aren't related to anime. The general activity on Facebook has dropped a lot in this past year, and the majority of the people I know simply log-in to it daily to see what Fortafy, Daniel Amos and alike have to share. Check their pages out and tell me what their content is like. Similar?

Now realize that what you want is not necessarily what the majority wants, and these social networks aim for the majority.
Jun 8, 2015 11:23 AM

Feb 2015
Subpyro said:
After saying that you used to be paid to administrate social networks you surely aren't showing any knowledge of what people around the world like to see. You call it spam, but saying that everyone will dislike it is missing the point for 180 degrees.

Check the most followed (and one more) anime page on Facebook (besides Tokyo Otaku Mode) and tell me, what kind of content do you see? Quick. To the point. Instantaneous.

Likewise, it goes for pages that aren't related to anime. The general activity on Facebook has dropped a lot in this past year, and the majority of the people I know simply log-in to it daily to see what Fortafy, Daniel Amos and alike have to share. Check their pages out and tell me what their content is like. Similar?

Now realize that what you want is not necessarily what the majority wants, and these social networks aim for the majority.

God, you're dense.

That page isn't supporting a website. It is free to post whatever from wherever. MAL's page cant be that because it has to support MAL. You can't just take content and publish it if you are a FOR PROFIT entity.
Jun 8, 2015 11:27 AM

Mar 2013
aloricg said:
God, you're dense.

That page isn't supporting a website. It is free to post whatever from wherever. MAL's page cant be that because it has to support MAL. You can't just take content and publish it if you are a FOR PROFIT entity.

I believe I've already addressed this matter:
Subpyro said:

That's the only reasonable path they can take. To use the social networks to get the name out, nothing more. Anything site-related (besides maybe fresh news) probably wouldn't receive any shares, resulting in only the current audience staying and not expanding.

That's why I'm not saying that you are incorrect if you seemingly imply that social networks are in a sense useless as far as it concerns MAL's main website. I am merely pointing out what's the maximum gain it can get and how, which is probably what they are after. Nothing more. I'm not arguing what content would make sense and what not. If anything, you make a fair point, but it seems you have slightly misunderstood my intentions when I replied to your comment.
Jun 8, 2015 11:32 AM

Feb 2015
If they're not coming to THIS WEBSITE to view content it's not getting the name out. They have to come to THIS WEBSITE to view content for the member to join or see ads and generate ad revenue. If they are directed to other websites, the point is moot.

If anything, MAL needs to make THIS WEBSITE social media share friendly. It needs to designate and code in the social media related images that will display when a page is linked - and that needs to be content specific - and it needs to have pre-made social share "slugs" to promote the sharing of the highest traffic areas.

And you cannot host other people's content on your social media or this website to promote this website, because that's illegal. This website makes money, it is therefor illegal.
Jun 8, 2015 11:38 AM

Mar 2013
Then suggest something that would make people interested in seeing and would be related to MAL's main website (besides news). I hardly find anything. That's why I repeat, for the final time, I was implying what could, from my perspective, bring out the maximum effect, as little as that effect might be. Simply posting this "spam" and possibly gaining a few members is still better than gaining nothing, I guess.

The issue of this argument is that we don't seem to understand our points. You have a reasonable argument of what MAL should do in social networking to bring out that fair effect, but it hardly connects with the fact that the content has to be interesting enough for people to share it onward. On the other hand, what could be interesting does not relate to the website. It's not a really sweet situation in either case, but one looks at little gain while one at very little gain.

In these posts, I was implying that little is more than very little.

If anyone else has ideas on what could be interesting and relate to the main website, that'd be great. Surely not reviews or recommendations. Not database changes, either. Forums have nothing to advertise, really. Clubs... maybe something could be done here. And then there's news, which I see as the biggest potential, really.
Jun 8, 2015 6:35 PM

Mar 2010
Perhaps promoting List designs contest. Since it is the sites primary function. I don't really use the FB page but its always good to hint on community things and news.

As for the position itself, good luck guys. Back in 2009 Someone did link me information that MAL had and it was my first time seeing this site, It was about a character. So I agree that making things more Sharable would be good too.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 8, 2015 8:15 PM

Jul 2009
aloricg said:

This is indeed a good question that we are also answering along the process, but I think some of your assumptions are misplaced. We know click bait does not work, and we have little interest in turning social media into an editorial mouthpiece that has lately occurred at ANN. If you believe that our database is not content, I disagree.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jun 8, 2015 10:10 PM

Mar 2013
Not trying to be pessimistic, but advertising a social website on a social network usually just doesn't work out. The most successful tend to be product advertisemenets, such as mobile applications or alike. With MAL clearly being the former, could we at least be given a frame of what you think you could share up there without failing quite badly?

Going into it and even putting this recruitment up before having a clear vision is quite daredevil-ish. Well, not like you have anything to lose.
Jun 9, 2015 3:18 AM

Oct 2014
Being a Social Media Team must be tough work i guess..
Good luck for those who applying this.. :)

read from right to left
Jun 9, 2015 11:38 AM

Dec 2014
I wish I had a selection of posts to show you guys, but I don't have any :( Then I would definitely try applying.

And good luck to all those applying!
Jun 9, 2015 6:20 PM
Oct 2012
cheer for those who want to apply for the job.
that's really great to know we r expanding our field to social media.
plok plok plok
Jun 9, 2015 8:58 PM

Aug 2014
Social media....
Jun 10, 2015 12:12 AM
Jun 2015
nice post by you....

Jun 10, 2015 2:59 AM
Mar 2015
What a wonderful way to spend your summer holidays! Anyways, good luck. You will really need it.

Jun 10, 2015 3:48 AM

Dec 2012
I'm almost sure I'll be accepted this time!

Jun 10, 2015 5:15 AM

May 2014
Why would someone apply for such a position when there is no compensation?
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Jun 10, 2015 6:31 AM

Sep 2009
Kineta said:
  • Have enough time to perform moderator duties on a daily basis.

I really want to join this project, but I don't think I can do it on a daily basis.
Jun 10, 2015 7:53 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
ziez_krum said:
I really want to join this project, but I don't think I can do it on a daily basis.
If you still want to apply, you can address in your application how much time you do estimate you would have available.

Sadly, many people tend to overestimate their availability. So if you do, I'd ask that you be very honest.

Krisdegooseman said:
I wish I had a selection of posts to show you guys, but I don't have any :( Then I would definitely try applying.
If you still would like to try applying, you can give an example of what you would post instead.

-Turnip- said:
I'm almost sure I'll be accepted this time!
I can always count on you.
Jun 10, 2015 8:08 AM
May 2014
I wont do this, but Id help with other things if needed.

Stark700 said:
Good luck to anyone that applies :3
Jun 10, 2015 12:58 PM

Nov 2013
Kenjataimu said:
Why would someone apply for such a position when there is no compensation?

To help? That's called volunteering. If my English was better I would have applied (and if I had a better understanding of what MAL is trying to achieve through social media). I mean, why would people be card makers in club? This is the exact same kind of questions. Some people like to create stuff/be productive, be part of something cool. And monetary compensation is not necessary there.
Jun 10, 2015 1:14 PM

Mar 2013
Ara_ said:
To help? That's called volunteering. If my English was better I would have applied (and if I had a better understanding of what MAL is trying to achieve through social media). I mean, why would people be card makers in club? This is the exact same kind of questions. Some people like to create stuff/be productive, be part of something cool. And monetary compensation is not necessary there.

Who are you bullshitting.

Ara_ said:
and if I had a better understanding of what MAL is trying to achieve through social media

There's a few of us who would like to know this basic piece of info as well. Of course, we were swiftly ignored.
Jun 10, 2015 4:02 PM

Oct 2013
Wow this will be interesting! Good luck to people who are applying!
Jun 11, 2015 4:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I might have considered it if I actually used any social media sites :s
Jun 11, 2015 7:12 AM
Jul 2014
Sounds interesting... I might considered it...
Jun 11, 2015 2:53 PM

Jan 2014
This looks interesting.
Jun 11, 2015 6:05 PM

Jun 2008
The slavery application process begins.

Betting on successful applicants is one of the few joys of being here in this privileged position.

Good luck.
Jun 12, 2015 6:04 PM

Jan 2014
I am not active on either Twitter, FB, or Google+, so I don't have any real reason to apply to this, but this is more of a suggestion:
Does MAL have an official Tumblr account/page?
There is a very active anime community over there and I would be surprised if MAL hasn't taken advantage of that by setting up an official page. It also seems to be much more attuned to this site's community as it is completely anonymous and has a focus on discussion and graphics among other things.

If there is a MAL blog on tumblr already then I apologize, but I have yet to see it advertised anywhere if that's the case, and it I have not seen it despite being very active in the community over there.
Jun 12, 2015 11:00 PM

Oct 2012
I'm interested. Count me in.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Jun 14, 2015 11:51 PM
May 2015
That is good suggestions.
Jun 15, 2015 11:41 AM

Apr 2007
Would apply but feel like signing up for it - too much of a hassle!for me -_-

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 15, 2015 11:48 AM

Aug 2011
Subpyro said:
There's a few of us who would like to know this basic piece of info as well. Of course, we were swiftly ignored.

Swiftly ignored. As if being ignored has speed settings. lol.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Jun 15, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2013
Doaj said:
Swiftly ignored. As if being ignored has speed settings. lol.

Deciding when to discard a question has it.
Jun 15, 2015 3:29 PM

Jun 2013
I would, but it sounds like a lot of work.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
12 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.