Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 10 Discussion

Jun 5, 2015 10:04 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This bought back some nostologia. The mood feels like the original Nagato.

Glad to see she survived though (should of been obvious anyways). Moody episode though even for Kyon. However, I found the memories the club members to have this melancholic feeling that brings the core members again. Nagato you book nerd

Jun 5, 2015 10:10 AM

Yuki-chan is fine except scratches, but acts different. The friends thought first that she's shocked from the bump and is down. Very quiet day.

She doesn't get blush anymore and the tone is like the Yuki-chan in the main series. The friend and the main guy both felt weird talking with her, and it was friend girl who asked the Yuki now.

Wow, the little change they made with the ED is nice, but sad, but that reflects the current Yuki.

"Shoushitsu" as title series starts next ep.
Modified by tsubasalover, Jun 5, 2015 10:28 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

Jun 5, 2015 12:16 PM

This Nagato is reminding me of the old Nagato with little to no emotions. Can't wait to see where this goes from here.

Jun 5, 2015 12:22 PM

Old Nagato is back.
Oh god who are you people?

Jun 5, 2015 12:36 PM
Finally, Asakura noticed this Nagato was a different person than who before she knew.

Asakura: "And just one thing... Who are you?"

But, Nagato didn't answer...
Modified by htsuji, Jun 5, 2015 12:45 PM

Jun 5, 2015 12:55 PM

shit just got real

Jun 5, 2015 1:42 PM

Great episode. Although I do remember the manga having this moving much faster, with Asakura saying "Who are you?" almost immediately after the incident.

I also like that Yuki's spare glasses match that of her glasses from the main series. Also, did anyone else notice the "Someday in the Rain" theme playing with a slightly different notation during the clubroom scene?

Man, this was a nostalgic episode.

Jun 5, 2015 1:53 PM

Meh this episode was alright.

Jun 5, 2015 2:05 PM

woah, old nagato is back and i couldn't be happier. i actually enjoyed the tone and atmosphere of this episode, and it definitely contrasts with the previous episodes. that last scene was pretty intense, too.

the episode title was a nice throwback ^.^

Jun 5, 2015 2:07 PM

finally. i was actually able to watch the entire episode without using my phone or playing on my ds

Jun 5, 2015 2:08 PM

Jun 5, 2015 2:11 PM

Finally, thank you god, finally.

Jun 5, 2015 2:34 PM

The old Nagato is back.

Jun 5, 2015 2:46 PM
Yay, something happened, finally it went somewhere :D She really reminded me of the Yuki from those original series.
And that preview though, I guess that's what they meant by "Disappearance".
Also, I think I might wanna put this anime on hold until it finishes airing because I feel like more cliffhangers are on the way.

Jun 5, 2015 3:42 PM

Shit's gonna go down.

Jun 5, 2015 4:10 PM

Something actually happened now. The atmosphere of this episode was a bit strange. The "usual" Yuki from this show disappeared and the one from the original series appeared... It feels weird.

Jun 5, 2015 4:11 PM

Finally!! I was so anxious for this arc to start :3
The episode was good, great atmosphere, nostalgia and was definitelly different from the previous ones (thankfully) but I can't help but feel like in some parts the manga delivered it better. Well, moving on, excited for the next episode :D
Modified by -Panda_Hero-, Jun 5, 2015 5:58 PM
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH

Jun 5, 2015 5:04 PM

emotionless nagato is back! inb4 kyon gets shanked, lol jk, but kinda curious to se what happens next week

Jun 5, 2015 5:10 PM

Nagato is back.

Jun 5, 2015 5:39 PM

It's tough because you can hear the 9 year difference in Minori's voice between Yuki-chan Nagato and Haruhi Nagato. Not saying she's doing a bad job, but it's reminding me that it's been almost 10 years since I first watched Haruhi. The times man...

Also, just as a reminder for folks that may have missed the header in the OP. Please do not discuss the manga.

Jun 5, 2015 5:43 PM
finally we can see the trully Nagato-san

Jun 5, 2015 5:53 PM

So, here we are...

I was half-expecting that they would change the OP, maybe next episode?

Guess they really wanted to make this part as dramatic as possible, I was waiting (rather impatiently) for Asakura to say that line at the end of the episode.

Jun 5, 2015 5:57 PM

alcrowry said:
I was waiting (rather impatiently) for Asakura to say that line at the end of the episode.

Hell yeah, I was really anxious for the anime to get to this part :3 Let's see how they handle it
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH

Jun 5, 2015 6:18 PM

The worst for an anime would be to focus solely on an emotionless character. From the beginning of this episode to the credits, it was difficult to enjoy conversations the characters were having with Nagato.

Jun 5, 2015 6:55 PM
Welcome back, Nagato!

Since S3 isn't gonna happen, this arc is as close as we'll get to enjoy one of the gang back in action. We'll how long Satelight decides to make this... hopefully they don't rush it.

Jun 5, 2015 6:57 PM

alcrowry said:
So, here we are...

I was half-expecting that they would change the OP, maybe next episode?

Guess they really wanted to make this part as dramatic as possible, I was waiting (rather impatiently) for Asakura to say that line at the end of the episode.

They did change up the ending a little. Just visually though.

boukendesho said:
Welcome back, Nagato!

Since S3 isn't gonna happen, this arc is as close as we'll get to enjoy one of the gang back in action. We'll how long Satelight decides to make this... hopefully they don't rush it.

I predict somewhere from three to five episodes.

Jun 5, 2015 7:09 PM

This part was so idiot, you don't say "who are you?" like that to someone, even if you think that his personallity changed or something like that...

Jun 5, 2015 7:11 PM
After 9 episodes of Nagato going after Kyon, it looked like it was Kyon going after Nagato. I like how things turned over. He's so cute when he blushes
(*´∀`)

I read the manga, so I had no surprise.

I really hope there will be a season 2. The manga has a lot of chapters and (of course) they won't fit into 16 episodes.
Modified by fham, Jun 5, 2015 7:16 PM

Jun 5, 2015 7:21 PM

Not enough Haruhi this episode lol

Jun 5, 2015 7:37 PM

It seems like the show is getting some plot. As we have original Nagato now, we will have original Asakura too? I hope not.

Jun 5, 2015 8:01 PM

Wow, what an interesting turn of events...

Jun 5, 2015 8:12 PM

The last three episodes of lazy onsen antics would seem to have been a concerted effort to lull us into a sense of complacency and security before Yuki got hit by a car and…simply changed. Honestly, she undergoes the most radical character change I’ve seen since Golden Time. It’s sobering; it’s unsettling; it’s downright intense. And it’s also kind of amazing.

That’s because the previously most dramatic moment of this series was when Yuki walked in on Haruhi giving Kyon chocolate. That seems so petty and insignificant now. Also, while I had worried Haruhi would take over the show, here she doesn’t appear at all, not for one second. Nor, ironically, does the sun. It’s all dark clouds and rain, matching the gloom and uncertainty of the situation.

Also, it takes a little while, but I realized how Yuki was talking and acting: like she did in the Haruhi series: distant, unemotional, nigh impossible to read. In other words, completely different from the Yuki of the first nine episodes. That it feels so very wrong for her to talk and act like this is a testament to how well the show has sold to me the idea of “New Yuki”.

And neither Asakura and Kyon seem to know what to do with her now that she’s seemingly regressed to who we know of as the “Old Yuki” of the other shows, who acts this way because she’s not human, but rather an alien interface. It’s impossible for a veteran of the franchise to not make the connection, which I’m sure is the producers’ intent.

For the record, I don’t believe there’s any alien influence or other supernatural powers at work here. To that end, the explanation that makes the most sense is that Nagato Yuki suffered some kind of personality-altering brain trauma as a result of the accident (The somewhat spoilery preview shows brain scans that would seem to back this up).

But man, this episode was packed with uncomfortable scenes in which a normally flustered, flattered, or bashful Yuki simply…didn’t have any reactions at all. It’s smart of the show to jettison the others for an episode and keep her with the two people who know her the best, which underlines just how much she’s changed since that encounter with the car.

I will say I thought the soundtrack was a little over-assertive throughout most of this, except for the very end, when we started hearing stuff we’ve never heard on the show before, stuff that doesn’t jibe with Yuki’s romantic narrative, but something else entirely. Asakura’s look of resignation, followed by her final question to Yuki before the credits roll; essentially, “Who the heck are you?” heightens the tension that accompanies the already ample discomfort and gloom.

I have no idea where the final six episodes will take us, but I can say for sure that my hopes for a “feel-good”, low-effort romance are as broken as Yuki’s primary glasses. But I will also say that the show has my full attention. It’s taken a huge bold step I honestly never saw coming, but probably should have, because of that dang “disappearance” in the title.

Jun 5, 2015 8:17 PM

"omg we had something happening, let's not make anything else happening the whole episode, just in case it'd get interesting".
I'm glad to see the old Nagato back of course, but aside from the car incident everything else was just Yuki showing over & over her emotionless character.

I somewhat wish the show would have just begun at episode 9 and develop the accident party. I mean, if you want to make a darker story about mental changes and such, 9 episodes of emptiness & cliché forced romance were not needed, even for the contrast.

Jun 5, 2015 8:44 PM
-_Cloud_- said:

This part was so idiot, you don't say "who are you?" like that to someone, even if you think that his personallity changed or something like that...

It may be my translation error, I suppose.

But, as for the part, it seemed to me that Asakura couldn't believe a girl looked like Nagato in front of her was real Nagato she had been taking care of; or rather she thought the girl could be someone else whom Asakura never met. In other words, Asakura was now doubting it was something mimicking / pretending Nagato.
Modified by htsuji, Jun 5, 2015 8:59 PM

Jun 5, 2015 9:06 PM
It's my impression or at rain scene where nagato hold her bag tightly her umbrella change hands and bandages are gone? wtf?

Jun 5, 2015 9:07 PM

This was the hardest episode to rate- it was certainly well made with some plot. Technically it was probably the best episode of this series, and it called the corresponding episode from the original series well.

Then again Nagato turning into Nagato was unbelievably lame in itself...it's the original manga artist's fault. Three stars for me.

Jun 5, 2015 9:13 PM

Thank Haruhi that true Nagato is back to make this show not boring. I felt that the moments between her and Kyon were a lot more romantic this episode than they were when Nagato showed expression.

(Also if old Nagato is back, does that mean old Asakura is back too? Is Kyon going to die?)

Jun 5, 2015 9:59 PM

Finally!

The anime is called "The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan" but it should be called "The Return of Nagato Yuki". I have been waiting for this since the start of the anime :D Best episode of the series. I just hope it continues to tie in with the original series and the movie.

Jun 5, 2015 10:00 PM

Best episode so far! Well, "Someday in the rain" was also my favorite episode from the original, 2006 series.

Gotta say that was a really change of mood. This episode was really melancholic, like some episodes from the 2006 series. And I also loved the ED edition, to reflect this "new Nagato".

Really looking forward to the next episode ^^

Jun 5, 2015 10:05 PM

htsuji said:
-_Cloud_- said:

It may be my translation error, I suppose.

But, as for the part, it seemed to me that Asakura couldn't believe a girl looked like Nagato in front of her was real Nagato she had been taking care of; or rather she thought the girl could be someone else whom Asakura never met. In other words, Asakura was now doubting it was something mimicking / pretending Nagato.

It wasn't a translation error. あなた「は」誰ですか。Definitely means "Who are you?"

Jun 5, 2015 10:08 PM

The Nagato we all know is back. That ending, shits about to go down.

Jun 5, 2015 10:34 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Old Nagato is back, but her glasses break. I actually like her 2nd pair a bit more. Asakura noticed Nagato wasn't being herself and instead asked who she was. I wonder if she knew that Nagato wasn't herself and was just waiting to confirm her suspicion.

Jun 5, 2015 10:50 PM

Woot! Nagato is back. And it's not completely emotionless Nagato; this Nagato seems to show some emotion.

Also, did anyone notice the gigantic food portion that Nagato was eating?

Jun 5, 2015 10:59 PM
After the end of the last episode, I knew stuff was going to go down in this one, but to the degree that it did? Wow. I'm literally chomping at the bit now to get to next week's episode and maybe get some answers.

Also... it was pretty crazy just how long it took me to realize that Nagato was talking like old-series Nagato. And the realization that something had happened to possibly bring that about was a slow dawning but very powerful one.

Finally... did anyone notice that musical hit when Asakura was standing at the train tracks? Sounded very... psycho killer-y.

Lot of questions swirling around now, around a series that just a week ago was just another cutesy, unimposing romantic comedy. Now? I'm not sure what kind of show we're all gonna be watching... But I know I WILL be watching.

Jun 5, 2015 11:09 PM

Yooo so there actually is gonna be more to this like i hoped

hope yall are happy now the old Nagato is back

Jun 5, 2015 11:57 PM

"Who are you?"

"I'm a demon"

WE WILL SEE SOME BLOOD NEXT EPISODE.

Jun 6, 2015 12:14 AM

I was really unimpressed with this series up until now. I thought it's inferior to the original Suzumiya Haruhi in every way... up until this episode. I think there's a real chance that this show can be good. I definitely really enjoyed the eerie atmosphere that was present throughout the entire episode.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.

Jun 6, 2015 12:37 AM

6 more episodes and let's see how the ending will go.

Jun 6, 2015 12:45 AM

Man, talk about a jarring tonal shift. Going from tons of comedy to such a serious atmosphere from one episode to the next is really jarring. Also, though this was probably the best episode so far, I'm very conflicted about the return of the emotionless Yuki Nagato. I can't decide whether I'm happy about it or really annoyed by it.

Jun 6, 2015 1:16 AM

This is surprising. It's funny how barely anything happened, yet the mystery and tension kept my attention until the very end. I was expecting a "twist" like that throughout the episode, but I wasn't sure it was going to happen since not much has been going on in this series - with the exception of everybody getting together again and Yuki being cute and blushing. When Asakura said she had one more question though, I knew she was going to say that.

So I guess there's still hope for greatness in this series after all. Let's hope they won't drop the ball in the following episodes and wrap it up properly at this point.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

Preview MangaManga Store