Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2015 9:30 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is my third time stating the show, and hopefully the last. Now that I have this with somewhat good subs, things should go smoothly.

Pretty good opening episode, they took their time setting up the story well, some backstory about Alloy-Z and Photon. And obviously, Kabuto Koji has no idea what he's doing in the mech, which is nice. In most newer mecha shows the MC always figures out how to pilot quite easily, so it's nice that the very first one takes its time. Baron Ashura is a pretty interesting villain and I like how the voice changes depending on the perspective.

Also Garada subs are so awesome. While they are pretty accurate, some parts will always make me laugh. Adding shit, fuck and bitch where it's not needed is so immature, yet it still makes me laugh.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 28, 2016 10:15 PM

Jul 2010
Always wanted to get into the Mazinger franchise, decent first episode but didn't really grab me yet lets see if I can finish this 92 eps long show.
Aug 28, 2016 11:26 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Beautiful first episode for a classic series!!!!

Dr. Kabuto, Dr. Inferno, Ashura, Aphrodite, Shiro, Koji .... and the Mazinger Z!!!!
Sep 11, 2016 8:56 AM
Jul 2015
I love the art style and the animation in general, the designs are so cool and the colors are so pretty.

It was hilarious how quickly Koji went from, "Oh no, grandpa has died!" to "Aw yeah, time to pilot this giant robot!"
Nov 24, 2016 6:03 PM

Sep 2013
Really nice first episode. I had just finished watching the original Cutey Honey series prior to starting this show, and I was cracking up at how similar the back story was. Old man/father figure invents something amazing and dies first episode. Generic bad guy organization wants to rule the world. Old man's offspring has to save the world using his invention. The MC even has a little brother just like in Cutey Honey.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 21, 2017 5:58 AM

Nov 2012
Hmm not to sure about this one going into it. Mainly watching cause I wanted to see some Go Nagai anime.

Usually when it comes to mecha prefer something psychological like Eva or Real Robot like Gundam. Only real Super Robot genre mecha I've seen so far would be TTGL and didn't like that much honestly.

I'll try to complete this but might end up putting it on hold every 25 or 50 episodes depending on how it turns out.
Jun 13, 2017 3:11 PM
Nov 2015
I had the big Shogun Warrior toy of Mazinger Z as a kid and I loved it. This show is something ripped from the id of a kid in the 70s or 80s, I don't know if it's good or not, but who cares!
Nov 6, 2017 11:28 AM

Nov 2011
Today I wanted to open a small parenthesis on my leisure, so I have come to think of starting this anime series that I saw when I was very young, I know about ten years? Or less, anyway, it was a great dive in the very exciting past. I had never seen the first episode, because in those days, was broadcast on private TV and there times were a real mess. I find that there are many points not well explained in the narrative, but left to the spectator's imagination, because the links between certain characters and certain scenes do not make sense. The story begins without a waste of time, the bad guys are immediately aware and the good ones know, but they do not give much information. I noticed that the atmosphere was not always serious and dramatic, but there were also really comical moments, with Koji coming on stage. The soundtrack, including the opening and ending, puts some melancholy. Speaking of Koji, I remembered it differently, and not as a youngster who enjoyed riding his motorcycle. Speaking of the protagonists of those times, I clearly remember how with their bikes they did crazy acrobatics. Now things like that are not seen anymore.
Dec 28, 2019 10:33 PM
May 2019
Finally got around to start on this. Decent first episode. I hope this won't be a complete waste of my time, but it for sure won't be forgettable.
Jun 9, 2021 12:07 PM
Feb 2021
I had watched this show a good way through when I found about the forums here and so I decided to rewatch the episodes I had seen so I could make comments on them. I like Mazinger Z for all it's faults it is a pretty grovy anime and besides most of the faults only make it even more entertaining. It has a 60's Spiderman like quality apart from it's much more competently made and doesn't come across like it was made on drugs. This episode a good introduction setting up characters and conflict well. The death of Koji's grandfather gives both a good motivation for revenge whilst ensuring that he is not trained to operate Mazinger Z. Though I still think that it's looks like they could have saved Juzo's life seeing that even though he says it's too late he still manages to give an entire speech about Mazinger Z and even answer questions before dying, reminds me of the Fighting Fantasy books where characters 'dying words' can go on even longer. The antagonists also pretty cool and have some really interesting designs from the robots to their commanders that only get more outlandish later on.
Mar 24, 2022 11:38 PM

Apr 2019
The single most important moment in all of japanese animation
Jan 30, 2023 5:33 PM
Sep 2017
Great 1st episode! I like the art and animation and especially the designs and attitudes of the Villains, since good Villains are necessary for a show like this.
The two brothers are very entertaining, even though it's a choice to introduce your main Hero by him recklessly trying to cause a traffic accident!

Also the comedy worked better in this than in most old animes I've watched.

All in all a throughly entertaining beginning for an epic saga!
Otcho_Shogun28Jan 30, 2023 5:38 PM
Apr 16, 2023 4:08 PM

Dec 2020
I hope Devil Z can beat Dr. Hill and his crabstick
:)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 2 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 3, 2015

10 by Slorglord »»
Mar 2, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 92 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 18, 2015

10 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 25, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 91 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 18, 2015

6 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 25, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 90 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 18, 2015

5 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 25, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 78 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 14, 2015

5 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 21, 6:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.