How would you rate this anime?
May 30, 2015 5:57 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Barakamon

MAL Anime Information Page: Barakamon

MAL Score - 8.53 (62610 users)
Ranked - #92
Popularity - #235

Please approach this thread as a critical review of the work in question. Avoid fallacious arguments to the best of your ability while taking these criteria into account.

Story:
Characters:
Art / Animation:
Sound / Music design:

Other production elements.

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions completely.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. Everyone has the right to their opinion, please try to be respectful to each others views and formulate constructive arguments in response to the work being spotlighted.

Barakamon (Anime) (5/5/19)
- Yes: 21
- No: 17
- Haven't Watched: 19
~ Abstained: 4

- 55%
HiroM_Dec 7, 2019 2:20 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 30, 2015 7:20 PM

Aug 2014
Shows like Barakamon is very enjoyable to watch, but it just.... too safe. It didn't add something new to the slice of life genre and we already have Usagi Drop for kids and Adult relationship, there are better titles out there and my vote will remains a No regardless what people say here.
Jun 5, 2015 4:49 AM

Dec 2007
Translated review: http://naomeapeteceestudar.blogspot.pt/2015/06/barakamon.html

(...)

It tells the story of a young man that dedicates to calligraphy contests, making of this his job (how is it called? Calligraphist?). After a wronge attitude towards a superior, he gets refuge in a fishing village. There, he makes new friends and learns to live in society. These new friends are a set of children and young people, very cheerful, that is always ready to make some kind of wrongdoing. The result is quite funny, sometimes, but - in general - the anime has some fails that turn it average.

As we know, a slice of life anime - to work - has to base its strenghts in the correct, coherent and strong development of its characters. Unfortunately, here this does not happen. The secondary characters do not contribute to the development oif the main character and appear to be there just to create comedy moments that, even though they are achieved several times, are not enough to turn Barakamon in an exemplary anime. The main character has a lot to learn and absorb from the people that surround him. There is some evolution in his abilities to deal with other people, esse3ntially forced by the siiuations in which he puts himself through his own inaptitude. Many times, they are unrealistic situations and too exagerated to be taken seriously, more than as a comical gat. On the other hand, the young man took refuge in this isolated island to be able to develop his calligraphy. This happens, but there is not in the narrative any reference to the evolution of his talents. This is, in some episodes he makes an acceptable work by the parameters of people who don't know anythintg about calligraphy; right next, he does exemplary works that are recognized by his peers. In this aspect, I would like that there had been more emphasis given to his job and in a more gradual way.

The art would be very beautiful if we were not in 2014. Having in account the production year, there is nothing spectacular about it: the shine, the fluidity, the colours, this is the normal parameter of "now". There are some scenes that try to show to the spectator the beauty of the scenery but, unfortunately, they end up losing intensity due to the normality of the art.

Musically, we have OP and ED that, cheerful, could have had more to do with the series. In the parenchima, many light and funny songs to give as a feeling of calmness, but that not distinguish themselves from other animes of the genre.

This, it's just another slice of life and, having in account the saturation of the genre, in a few years nobody will remember it.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jun 5, 2015 9:19 AM

Aug 2014
No risk No reward eh ;)
Jun 5, 2015 10:11 AM

Mar 2008
Svante said:
Shows like Barakamon is very enjoyable to watch, but it just.... too safe. It didn't add something new to the slice of life genre and we already have Usagi Drop for kids and Adult relationship, there are better titles out there and my vote will remains a No regardless what people say here.

I personally liked Barakamon more than Usagi Drop because Rin is just too perfect. Naru, on the other hand, reminded me a lot of times of my small brother who acts very much the same. It captures the essence of childhood perfectly.
There are a lot of scenes which could very well be a respresentation for something you experience in real life - for example, I remember at the end of episode 1 or 2 Naru tried to overcome a big wall and afterwards saw a very beautiful sight of the ocean -> any hardships you may encounter and "the reward" and happiness you feel when you actually do manage to get through. There were other scenes as well, but I can't remember anymore >.<

For an anime that claims to be a comedy as well I felt that it didn't manage to be very funny, the jokes kind of passed me by.

I share the same opinion as ladyxzeus regarding the art.

I love both the OP and ED! The BGM fits the anime well, but ends up being rather forgettable.

I like the anime for its rewatch-potential. It may be "very safe", but that is also its strength. You can watch it with everyone and just have a good time. :)
Jun 6, 2015 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
Barakamon still catches my attention because it manages to escape the generic high school setting as the majority of slice of life anime tend to be into. However, as was mentioned before, nothing really happens throughout the series. There are moments were certain development seemed to be achieved, but the change was almost non-existent in the end.
It's a very funny and heartwarming series. I'm inclined to give it a yes, but I'm not sure yet.
Jun 7, 2015 8:18 AM

Mar 2013
Barakamon's biggest crime is that it's not distinctive. It's not memorable. It's far too safe, and as ladyzeus put it, it's something we'll all forget in a few years. That alone should warrant a definite 'No'.
Jun 8, 2015 11:10 PM

Oct 2014
One could argue that, yes it's very safe, but that's not necessarily bad. It strips away all of the excess and focuses on just comedy and the struggle of an artist expressed through unknowingly meaningful character interactions. A definite yes from me and I hope I'm not the only one.
Apr 21, 2019 9:12 AM

Mar 2015
i surprisingly very enjoying the rural life aspect of this series, but the drama is, ugh.. too forced i guess.. gonna be Abstain.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.