Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 28, 2015 1:07 PM

Oct 2014
I just started watching DanMachi today. I was wanddering why Bell's main weapon is a knife. Why not a sword or something more suitable for an adventurer? Do you think he will stick with a knife throughout the series? Tell me your thoughts.
May 28, 2015 1:10 PM

Aug 2014
Wrong section but whatever. First off, knives are cool and yes it probably wouldn't be best for a dungeon adventurer as a main weapon because reach is important. That said, he will probably stick with the hestia knife because it is OP.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 28, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2015
Meh? Who knows really.Could just be a choice the author barely thought about.I don't believe there is any specific reason.
May 28, 2015 1:12 PM

Oct 2014
Lancehot said:
Because in anime, your weapon size is proportional to your penis. That's why women always have the biggest.

wth XD
May 28, 2015 1:13 PM

Oct 2014
black1blade said:
Wrong section but whatever. First off, knives are cool and yes it probably wouldn't be best for a dungeon adventurer as a main weapon because reach is important. That said, he will probably stick with the hestia knife because it is OP.

Sorry if I posted this on a wrong section XD
But thanks for answering my question/s! :3
May 28, 2015 1:14 PM

Oct 2014
Relinquish022 said:
Meh? Who knows really.Could just be a choice the author barely thought about.I don't believe there is any specific reason.

You've got a point actually..
May 28, 2015 1:18 PM

Feb 2015
I have a feeling it's going to evolve like a Pokemon later on :o
:::|| ---A N I M E L I S T--- || ---M A N G A L I S T--- || ---S I G N A T U R E S--- || ---C A R D S--- ||:::
May 28, 2015 1:20 PM

Oct 2014
Porofy said:

It doesn't evolve actually. It just gets strongest. The stronger the user gets, the weapon does too.
May 28, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2014
Lancehot said:
Because in anime, your weapon size is proportional to your penis. That's why women always have the biggest.

Yeah, this seems about right.
May 28, 2015 1:22 PM

Mar 2014
I guess that's just his build and what he prefers, some prefer a sword and a shield while others prefer a big two handed weapon like an axe or a spear. Bell just prefers dual knives/daggers like a rogue/thief class (plus I think from the author's standpoint swords are just too common with this type of anime so at least Bell's choice of weapons is kinda unique)
DMindMay 28, 2015 1:27 PM
May 28, 2015 1:28 PM

Oct 2014
DMind said:
I guess that's just his build and what he prefers, some prefer a sword and a shield while others prefer a big two handed weapon like an axe or a spear. Bell just prefers dual knives/daggers like a rogue/thief class (plus I think from the author's standpoint swords are just too common with this type of anime so at least Bell's choice of weapons is kinda unique)

So do you think he'll stick with a knife?
May 28, 2015 1:31 PM

Aug 2014
Hestia knife is too OP for him to drop it. Him wielding the sword was cool as a one of but the rogue's path is for bell in the long term.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 28, 2015 1:31 PM

Feb 2015
RedKun said:
Porofy said:

It doesn't evolve actually. It just gets strongest. The stronger the user gets, the weapon does too.

So it's not going to? '^' Aw.
:::|| ---A N I M E L I S T--- || ---M A N G A L I S T--- || ---S I G N A T U R E S--- || ---C A R D S--- ||:::
May 28, 2015 1:32 PM

Feb 2013
the same reason evangelion 01 has a knife
May 28, 2015 1:33 PM

Oct 2014
black1blade said:
Hestia knife is too OP for him to drop it. Him wielding the sword was cool as a one of but the rogue's path is for bell in the long term.

Another splendid answer.
May 28, 2015 1:33 PM

Oct 2014
Porofy said:
RedKun said:

So it's not going to? '^' Aw.

Yup.. '^'
May 28, 2015 1:37 PM

Mar 2014
RedKun said:

I wouldn't know for sure but it seems to be that way, although we have seen him using another weapon besides the knife in episode 8
DMindMay 28, 2015 1:40 PM
May 28, 2015 1:40 PM

Apr 2011
Daggers are awesome weapons and the perfect fit for a light fighter like Bell. Swords may be cool, but when every fucking MC has a sword, it kinda loses it's charm.
May 28, 2015 1:43 PM

Sep 2013
Lancehot said:

Feminists ruining the world :(
The women should be support while the men fight, they can't even cover him or chant enhancement spells.
May 28, 2015 1:46 PM

Oct 2014
DMind said:
RedKun said:

I wouldn't know for sure but it seems to be that way, although we have seen him using another weapon besides the knife in episode 8

Okay, then.
May 28, 2015 1:46 PM

Oct 2014
yhunata said:
Daggers are awesome weapons and the perfect fit for a light fighter like Bell. Swords may be cool, but when every fucking MC has a sword, it kinda loses it's charm.

I totally agree, mate. ^^
May 28, 2015 1:47 PM

Oct 2014
ichii_1 said:
Lancehot said:

Feminists ruining the world :(
The women should be support while the men fight, they can't even cover him or chant enhancement spells.

I'm not sure what you're trying to point out..
May 28, 2015 2:25 PM

Apr 2013
1) due to existence of magical weapons, Dagger can be very powerful as well
2) the principal advantages for wielding a knife is the speed it can be wield, and the combination you can do with kick as well as dual wield. A longer weapon in main hand wouldn't give those. Bell is a speed based adventurer, avoiding damage rather than parrying or blocking/enduring it.
3) principal disadvantage is the lack of powerful blow and the lack of reach.
4) Bell has no training to fight with a longer weapon. When he used that bastard sword in the 8th episodes, adventurers from the Loki Familia commented about how rough and amateur his sword style was with it. The more time passes, the more used to knife he becomes, so the higher the difference is with how well he can wield other weapons. This is becoming less and less likely for him to wield something else except in very specific cases.
5)The two weakness (lack of powerful blow and lack of reach) can be compensated by being in a proper party as well. So as his party becomes bigger, there is also less and less reason to change

This fits Bell's choice of being a light armoured fighter. He chooses the lightest armours, and the fastest weapons. Part of the decision was probably him being afraid of being hit (because it hurts, well, yes) at the very beginning of his dungeon exploration. He may have chosen the knife due to that. Furthermore, know that his first weapon was furnished (as well as his first armour that he had in the first episode) by the adventurer guild. Which may very well not give anything else than knife as weapons.
Anyway, as Eina commented, Bell LIKES to not be hindered in his movements. So that why he'll stay as light armoured, and with a light weapon. He's a rogue like fighter, not a knight.

In the end, there is no official and complete answer given so far AFAIK.
But what is sure is that he's not going to change, and that he has all the reasons not to change. He would be able to dual wield with weapons too long. His way to kick and avoid everything would be as easy, either.
It's also sure that he wanted to avoid hit at the beginning being afraid of being hurt, and that he likes being unhindered in his movements as well. He acknowledge the fact that big swords are awesome for powerful blow and the reach, and used a short swwrd for a good while (the short sword which was given by Lili) but returned to dual knives afterwards.
ZefyrisMay 28, 2015 2:32 PM
May 28, 2015 2:26 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Daggers have always been cooler than swords in RPGs anyway so why not an RPG-esque anime too

Would've been better if it was dual-wielded though
May 28, 2015 2:32 PM

Apr 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Daggers have always been cooler than swords in RPGs anyway so why not an RPG-esque anime too

HE has been dual wielding for a good while and will always dual wield from now on.
May 28, 2015 2:37 PM

Oct 2014
Zefyris said:
1) due to existence of magical weapons, Dagger can be very powerful as well
2) the principal advantages for wielding a knife is the speed it can be wield, and the combination you can do with kick as well as dual wield. A longer weapon in main hand wouldn't give those. Bell is a speed based adventurer, avoiding damage rather than parrying or blocking/enduring it.
3) principal disadvantage is the lack of powerful blow and the lack of reach.
4) Bell has no training to fight with a longer weapon. When he used that bastard sword in the 8th episodes, adventurers from the Loki Familia commented about how rough and amateur his sword style was with it. The more time passes, the more used to knife he becomes, so the higher the difference is with how well he can wield other weapons. This is becoming less and less likely for him to wield something else except in very specific cases.
5)The two weakness (lack of powerful blow and lack of reach) can be compensated by being in a proper party as well. So as his party becomes bigger, there is also less and less reason to change

This fits Bell's choice of being a light armoured fighter. He chooses the lightest armours, and the fastest weapons. Part of the decision was probably him being afraid of being hit (because it hurts, well, yes) at the very beginning of his dungeon exploration. He may have chosen the knife due to that. Furthermore, know that his first weapon was furnished (as well as his first armour that he had in the first episode) by the adventurer guild. Which may very well not give anything else than knife as weapons.
Anyway, as Eina commented, Bell LIKES to not be hindered in his movements. So that why he'll stay as light armoured, and with a light weapon. He's a rogue like fighter, not a knight.

In the end, there is no official and complete answer given so far AFAIK.
But what is sure is that he's not going to change, and that he has all the reasons not to change. He would be able to dual wield with weapons too long. His way to kick and avoid everything would be as easy, either.
It's also sure that he wanted to avoid hit at the beginning being afraid of being hurt, and that he likes being unhindered in his movements as well. He acknowledge the fact that big swords are awesome for powerful blow and the reach, and used a short swwrd for a good while (the short sword which was given by Lili) but returned to dual knives afterwards.

Outstanding! Thanks for answering my question/s, bro! :D
May 28, 2015 2:38 PM

Oct 2014
Zefyris said:
HaXXspetten said:

HE has been dual wielding for a good while and will always dual wield from now on.

BELL DUAL WIELDS?! ARE THESE SPOILERS?! 0_0
May 28, 2015 2:38 PM

Sep 2014
he's a weak fag and swords are actually heavy
May 28, 2015 3:06 PM

Apr 2013
RedKun said:
Zefyris said:

BELL DUAL WIELDS?! ARE THESE SPOILERS?! 0_0

I don't remember the first time he dual wielded, but by the end of the 3rd arc (meaning episode 8) , he was using dual wield in his last fight. In the LN during that last fight, (since that part wasn't adapted) it was actually a very important fact since without it he wouldn't have deceived his opponent at a key moment during that fight. That precise scene wasn't shown, but he is shown dual wielding even in the anime during the 8th episode.
ZefyrisMay 28, 2015 3:30 PM
Jun 2, 2015 10:38 PM

Mar 2015
I'll go out on a limb and say that it's probably because swords are so grossly overdone, and axes have been staple for side characters since forever. Plus it's interesting to see a different kind of combat. You have to plan your attacks a little bit better with a weapon so small.

Jun 13, 2015 11:16 PM
Aug 2012
Imaishi said:

A regular sword is not heavy, 2-4 pounds(1-2 kiloes) is not heavy, and that's about what a regular long-sword weighs, and even then a sword comes with far more advantages in combat than a knife ever would provide. A knife really only has one real advantage when it combat comes to mind, it's easily concealed, that's it.

But then that's how it actually is, and this is Anime, and since it's anime, Knives are OP.
Jun 14, 2015 2:19 AM

Apr 2013
Err, any adventurer level 1 could get out of a normal prison cell by simply bending the metal bars with their bare hands and no efforts whatsoever. Their status give them boost in speed, stamina and strength that makes even level adventurers supernaturally strong.
So no, it's not because swords are heavy.
Jun 14, 2015 6:27 AM

Apr 2011
shurryy said:
Imaishi said:

A regular sword is not heavy, 2-4 pounds(1-2 kiloes) is not heavy, and that's about what a regular long-sword weighs, and even then a sword comes with far more advantages in combat than a knife ever would provide. A knife really only has one real advantage when it combat comes to mind, it's easily concealed, that's it.

But then that's how it actually is, and this is Anime, and since it's anime, Knives are OP.

Ever heard of a dagger? To a speedster like Bell, a sword would be more disadvantageous than a knife and not because it's less easily concealed but rather a sword will be more impending than a knife/dagger. Light armor and bull fighting don't go hand in hand. Daggers also allow for more precision strikes, which is what Bell is mostly suited for.
Jun 14, 2015 7:16 AM

Sep 2010
I figured the knife or dagger was a stereotypical beginner's weapon. At least in some RPGs, you have to start with the short weapons, and work your way up to the long ones. That said, knives and short swords may continue to fit Bell's ultra-light, agile style in the long-run.
For example... in Dark Cloud (PS2), Toan starts with a dagger, and most of the early weapons look relatively short. Another example... in Disney's Aladdin, Aladdin's father leaves his infant son a dagger to use when he's old enough.
Jun 14, 2015 7:25 AM

Apr 2011
Takata said:
I figured the knife or dagger was a stereotypical beginner's weapon. At least in some RPGs, you have to start with the short weapons, and work your way up to the long ones. That said, knives and short swords may continue to fit Bell's ultra-light, agile style in the long-run.
For example... in Dark Cloud (PS2), Toan starts with a dagger, and most of the early weapons look relatively short. Another example... in Disney's Aladdin, Aladdin's father leaves his infant son a dagger to use when he's old enough.

It depends on what type of fighter you are. If your character is a knight, starting off with a dagger is suicidal. Likewise, if your character is an agile type (like thief or assassin), starting off with a claymore or a sword is also suicidal. All in all, what weapon you start off with or use depends entirely on your character. Take FF12 for example; you start the game as Vaan's brother, who is a soldier - thus he starts with a sword and a shield. Then we start off with Vaan who, as a thief, starts with a dagger.
Jun 14, 2015 7:32 AM

Apr 2013
Takata said:

This is probably the case here since his first weapon was given by the guild, and I seriously doubt they give bigger weapons to beginenr like that. After that, Bell and Hestia being poor means that he had to continue with that knife since no money to buy bigger weapons, and got his whole fighting style depending of knives. After that, refer to what I wrote earlier in the threads for more reasons.
Oct 17, 2016 12:51 AM
Oct 2016
i think that your weapon of choice must be proportionate to your physique. since bell is not that tall, he needs a weapon that can work with balance and can be used in his agility. the longer the weapon, the farther its center of gravity. also, a knife/dagger is best used in a dungeon since its a closed space, you never know when you will get stuck in a tight space where there are too many enemies and you couldn't even swing your weapon because it requires much space.
Oct 17, 2016 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
Richmond06 said:
i think that your weapon of choice must be proportionate to your physique. since bell is not that tall, he needs a weapon that can work with balance and can be used in his agility. the longer the weapon, the farther its center of gravity. also, a knife/dagger is best used in a dungeon since its a closed space, you never know when you will get stuck in a tight space where there are too many enemies and you couldn't even swing your weapon because it requires much space.
he isn't tall, but he is definitely tall enough for short swords, axes, warhammer and the like. The real reasons he choose knives is what I wrote in the several posts I made above.
but yes, in a dungeon sometimes (but only sometimes) a big weapon isn't a good idea due to lack of space.
Nov 21, 2020 5:38 PM
Apr 2020
Rancze said:
I just started watching DanMachi today. I was wanddering why Bell's main weapon is a knife. Why not a sword or something more suitable for an adventurer? Do you think he will stick with a knife throughout the series? Tell me your thoughts.
to start it off I really love the DanMachi series they are amazing and I love them ok so |Bell is considered a rabbit he is small in frame and he starts off using a knife later I think he starts using a short sword expect the knife of course sorry if I spoiled it but yes and I don't know from my point of view the knife is oka and it suits its character.
Nov 21, 2020 6:43 PM

Apr 2020
It's kinda hard to get rid of at this point, since it's like his first weapon from Hestia ... Almost sure that'll become relevant/emotional later on again.
Does it matter, tho?

If you're watching this for cool fights and/or awesome weaponery, you're watching the wrong show.

It's more like a Power-Fantasy/Harem-Version of a Slice of Life. It never feels like the core-appeal lies within the fighting, never really feels relevant what weapon is used by enemies either.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2015

363 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

196 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

208 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2015

282 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Apr 10, 2015

277 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 11:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.