Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this anime?
May 23, 2015 4:18 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Hunter x Hunter (2011)

MAL Anime Information Page: Hunter x Hunter (2011)

MAL Score - 9.15 (100369 users)
Ranked - #5
Popularity - #94

Please approach this thread as a critical review of the work in question. Avoid fallacious arguments to the best of your ability while taking these criteria into account.

Story:
Characters:
Art / Animation:
Sound / Music design:

Other production elements.

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions completely.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. Everyone has the right to their opinion, please try to be respectful to each others views and formulate constructive arguments in response to the work being spotlighted.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE

Yes: 31
No: 18
Abstained: 11
I don't know this anime: 33

This anime was NOT inducted into the club's Anime list - 63.2%

Resurrection You Decide results:

Hunter x Hunter (2011) (Anime) (25/06/17)
- Yes: 24
- No: 9
- I haven't watched this anime: 23
~ Abstained: 3

Inducted - 73%
TruePeinSep 1, 2017 11:03 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 23, 2015 7:03 AM

Aug 2014
I'm kinda mixed with this one, on one side as a whole it is a very well executed anime from the stories to production value, but on the other side I'm of the majority here who thinks Chimera ants is dragged too long (even longer than manga) and Greed Island's pacing is kinda awkward at times. But still, I really enjoy watching and waiting this show every weeks when it was airing, so I'm still voting yes.
EvilKagawaMay 23, 2015 7:06 AM
May 23, 2015 11:34 PM

Jan 2008
Ok, here is a (somewhat dumb) question: I didn't put this anime to my list, because I only watched certain arcs (Yorkshin, Ant, Election). Can I vote on the next week's "you decide" above all?
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
May 24, 2015 3:03 PM

Nov 2008
Junchi said:
Ok, here is a (somewhat dumb) question: I didn't put this anime to my list, because I only watched certain arcs (Yorkshin, Ant, Election). Can I vote on the next week's "you decide" above all?
Well, I guess if you add it to you list (probably on on-hold or dropped) and added the number of eps that you watched to cover those arcs, it would be OK as long as you have watched at least 30 eps in total.

But we can't really make your vote count if you don't add it to your anime list.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
May 24, 2015 11:44 PM

Jan 2008
Ok, I added it to my on-hold list (with the number of episodes what I saw).
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
May 30, 2015 4:49 PM
Apr 2014
The original response here served as a template for my finished review of HxH, which I've spoiler-tagged for your convenience.

tl;dr version - it's overrated. it does a few things right but gets a lot more wrong than it ought to. the world-building is mediocre, any promising characters barring killua are thrown to the sidelines, and the much-lauded chimaera ant arc has the most appalling pacing of any arc i've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

defunctmaluserJun 12, 2015 6:24 PM
-
Jul 22, 2015 6:12 AM

Dec 2007
Probably the most overrated show of this era, as proven by all the hate I got by posting this review online. Here is a translation.

The original: http://naomeapeteceestudar.blogspot.pt/2015/07/hunter-x-hunter.html

(...) I had already watched the original older version, and I knew this was a remake with the hated "fillers" (that I hadn't even noticed in the original) and with a prolongation of the story. (...) It's a famous series, loved by many people, but that unfortunately will not have my recommendation. As always, we swim against the current in this space [blog] and we have to be mean to things that people love. But everything has a reason. I'll explain.

Everything starts in Whale Island, a pacifical Island where Gon live with his mother [or aunt, it does not really matter]. Ging, Gon's father, is a famous "Hunter". "Hunters" are those that have a licence that grants them access to various things, allowing them to make new discoveries, solve pendent issues of various levels of danger and, deep inside, to live constant adventures. Thus, Gon decides to be a Hunter as well, to be able to discover the location of his absent father, that is always away for reasons that nobody knows.

Everything starts, thus, with the Hunter Exam. The candidates will have to pass through a series of tests that will give information on their abilities to attain the desired license. The start is quite fun, captivating, colourful, full of energy. We follow Gon and his new friends, Killua, Leorio and Kurapika, on theire intense and dangerous tests, always wishing that they will find the best solution. These are smart, original and very stimulating. From the second part, there is a certain change, that affects the whole tone of the series, progressively. In this arc, we are going to meet Killua's family. These moments are darker, but we still learn a bit of the values that characterize all shounen series, love, friendship and so on. Deep inside, the series was not atypical, but had a refreshing originality, variying between humour and sarcasm and in the enemies that appeared. One of them, for me, was especially interesting: Hisoka. Even though, maybe, my opinion is biased because (once in a while) he appeared naked (which is very appealing visually), I felt that this villain was more than expected. Characterized with an aura ov doom, the fact that for him everything is kind of a game, a search for the strongest oponent with a simple objective of pure fun, is a pleasant variation to the typical antagonist.

Now, I felt a certain magic in HxH. It was something unique, even though it was normal. Unfortunately, it's hard to keep things unique. And HxH disappointed on that aspect. The magic is lost quickly from the moment in which we enter the third arch. Here, the main character is Kurapika, a person interesting from his conception. He looks forward to revenge the death of his clan, perpretated by the group of "Spiders" and, because of that, has to destroy the assassins the best way he can. It's introduced a new concept, "nen". This "nen" ends up to turn the continuation of the story in a constant oposition of original super powers (certainly inspired by Jojo's "Stands"), giving a reason to the existance of many ways to fight. This concept makes everything quite boring and unpleasant, especially because great part of the series is spent training it. Oh well, let's come back to Kurapika. This caharacter, that was quite dear to me, suffers a deep decaracterization in a way that he turns into some kind of killing machine, a hurt being, introverted and with an evil aura that was not proper to him. The anime becomes "dark" and it seems that's what people like. "Dark" things and with a lot of deaths, and blood and so on. And the magic? Seems that the magic is in destruction.

We go to Greed Island, a game that Ging gives the chance to play. Extremelly uninteresting arc, seems to be there just to establish the powers of "nen", allow the characters to perfect it, and in the end is just a physical and mental preparation ot the following arc, the very famed Chimera Ant Arc. To be honest, I understand the reasons that lead the majority of people to like this arc. It's dark, very dark, with horrifying and terrifically bloody moments. People like it. I felt that, once again, there was a complete decaracterization of the characters. Even Gon, that was a childing and happy go lucky creature, becomes a psichotic animal able to do anything for a revenge and defeat the forces of evil. That's it, for the first time we have an invincible malificent force, exactly what a typical shounen was missing... The same as every other. So invincible that the author uses an instrument of extreme bad taste to solve the situation, even though it does not solve anything anyway. This is, in some way we could do a paralelism to the past of real life: we are under this type of weapon and we find some kind of inner peace. Even though, it seemed to me completely unnecessary and I had prefered if the inner peace had been found in other way of destruction: after all, the power of the old man was so interesting that could have been usedd in that way. Also, the narrative style (with a narrator) is anticlimatic, boring, sins for lack of rythm. In this part, the soundtrack is so repetitive that is nauseous. And the integration of comedy moments in the most unsettling situations turns them ridiculous.

To finalize, we get a bit of what was the first part. A relief, comparing to the anterior arcs. But, even like this, I felt that important characters were forgetton, namely Leorio and Kurapika.

In artistic terms, the series has its highs and lows, as in any long series. There are some extremelly well done action scenes, but in some moments (especially in the end) they demonstrate a bad use of budget, making use of a bland and little enlightned experimentation.

Musically, the same thing happens. In some moments the soundtrack is terrifgying and very exciting but, as the narrative processes and the style is added, it ends up to become repetitive and source of headaches.

So, a series that could have been much more than what it is, if it had chosen a different route for itself. I'm very sorry that this is like this, but I can't recommend it.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.