Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2015 9:50 AM
May 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
goood lord how awesome it was, i just created this account just to spread the awesomeness that this episode was. . . .. . for saga fans i mean, oh my that was ton of fan service, a shit ton o TNT kind of fan service.

oh and Aphrodite for the first time was very badass, he wipes the floor with one of the 7 god warriors without breaking a sweat. and die once again, i think this is becoming a southpark situation, looks like they need to kill him every-time he appears
May 22, 2015 10:25 AM

Apr 2014
cancer wasnt a douchebag after all
May 22, 2015 10:45 AM

Jan 2012
Aaaw Saga way to go! :D

And Aphrodite... poor him though I didn't quite get what happened to him at the end.. should be dead and should have holes all over his body...

The animation is getting a bit ridiculous... though it's been like since the beginning... I really don't feel like I'm watching something made in 2015... and that bothers me to no end ><
May 22, 2015 10:56 AM
Mar 2011
Saga the strongest gold saint.
May 22, 2015 11:11 AM

Dec 2008
Kinda angry that they did typical treatment for Dite, making him mia already. I expected him to get more development since he supposedly didn't want to fight. Then suddenly he goes all out let's destroy this tree. I guess the only motivation he needed was Deathmask hehe~

I've always liked Deathmask for his insane and boisterous personality, so seeing his soft side was startling lol. His moments were super touching. And the Cancer God Cloth looks so cool.
glacierknJun 5, 2015 4:22 PM
May 22, 2015 11:51 AM

Jul 2013
They be hyping up Saga! I'm sure they'll do the same with Shaka once he fights and shower him with hype and compliments.

I actually enjoyed seeing Aphrodite moping the floor with that weak asgard warrior...only to get MIA's again fucking lol.

Even Andreas knows DeathMask is the weakest, and DM actually agrees. Man if Manigoldo (MANLYGOLDO) was here..

Of course Shura is fucking evil in the next episode, come on man.

My guess is that they made a couple Gold Saints "Evil" to balance the numbers between 7 Asgard Warriors and 12 Gold Saints.
May 22, 2015 12:29 PM

Jun 2013
I doubt Aphrodite is dead. They won't kill a Gold Saint this early. Aren't all of them shown in God Cloths on the opening anyway?
Weakness is a sin!
May 22, 2015 1:42 PM
Aug 2012
Best episode until now. Too bad Afrodite got kidnapped just after he find out a way to destroy Yggdrasil.

I can't wait to see Gold Saints at full power. Since Hades barrier Gold Saints are unable to use full power, I'm getting tired of this... I hope there is a next season where they fight real gods at full power.
May 22, 2015 2:40 PM
Nov 2012
Andreas looks like a cheap version of Hades. Aphrodite is alive, looks to be having his cosmo being farmed for something.

Aphrodite will redemn himself. After all he has a god cloth waiting.
May 22, 2015 3:28 PM

Jan 2011
Really good episode!

Did anyone notice that God Warrior Lyfia mentioned, the one who is a complete mystery that no one knows too much about? In the meeting with Andreas, he was completely silent and I could be wrong but I think he may just be an ally of the Saints. I almost thought it was Kanon except this guy has black hair but who knows..with all that's happening, it could be some sort of disguise?

As for Deathmask, I'm happy he redeemed himself and that his cloth has returned to him. It sucks that Helena had to die as a result but I'm sure that he will avenge her death before the season ends. It's refreshing to see a softer side to his character.

And as for the reason the Gold Saints were revived..I think Andreas kinda hinted that Yggdrasil revived them. He mentions that he's aware of the revival when he's fighting Deathmask and in the final scene of the episode before the credits, you see Aphrodite captured and 11 vacant spots next to him in Yggdrasil..so I have a theory that the Saints revival is because of Andreas wanted them to be revived to give power to Yggdrasil.

Shaka needs to get it together..I need him to get out of that meditative state and help his comrades, already!

>:)
May 22, 2015 3:31 PM

Jan 2011
VirgoSaint said:

Even Andreas knows DeathMask is the weakest, and DM actually agrees.

My guess is that they made a couple Gold Saints "Evil" to balance the numbers between 7 Asgard Warriors and 12 Gold Saints.

What is it that makes Deathmask a weak character though? I didn't agree with Andreas bashing him like that..aside from the fact that he lost to Shiryu and the cloth abandoned him, I always saw Deathmask as a powerful opponent.

I agree with that theory about the evil Gold Saints. I think what the issue is, is that the Saints have different ideas of justice and what is right and wrong, as Aiolia explained to Lyfia.
May 22, 2015 3:52 PM
May 2015
i find it strange too, i mean DM wasn't killed by sheer strength, he was pushed into the yomotsu, not because he was weaker, but because was reckless, but in the end someone needs to be the weakest, and even DM have a really high body count, he is still a golden saint that could kill shiryu if he didn't lose the cancer cloth.

i was hoping he would have a new attack, or at least was what i was expecting since episode 2, but in the end the lucky one was Aphrodite with his new mind rape skill, wich is very nice, very upsetting that he was locked in the freezer, but i know that he will come back and redeem himself further, he needs to be really badass to erase my memories of him in hades battle (he just run like a little bitch)
May 22, 2015 4:34 PM
Apr 2015
In regards of the comments about DM being the weakest can also mean in terms of character. If h fights with heart and rage, he is definitely a very powerful Gold Saint. His redemption and also Saga's epic appearance are by far he best part of the episode.
May 22, 2015 5:24 PM

Jul 2013
So they redeemed DM and actually suceeded in making me like him (As a character)? Well, thats unexpeced.
I also dont agree with DeathMask being called Weak, in fact, the only reason he lost to Shiryuu was because the cloth abandoned him due to his twisted sense of justice, but before then, he made the battle against Shiryu a hell (It kind of always bothered me how after the Sanctuary Arc, DM and Aphrodite had been on the short end of the stick here, they always made them look weaker than what they were. Here, Aphrodite shined......was defeated right away.
i Dont know, if anything this anime did the right thing with DM.

the chapter is 7.8 for me, i really, really like the character development we get here, but the animation is really bad.
no
May 22, 2015 5:41 PM
May 2015
don't know if make sense to keep bashing the animation, it was relatively low budge, it is really inconsistent but the moments it requires to be good (like afrodite and saga fights) it improves a lot. the only criticism that i have and people don't seen to notice is the sound direction, the "glens" or fairy like sound that the knights make when launching an attack is really nonsensical and breaks my immersion at least like it was a truck.

the metal sound in the cloth is awesome though, probably something inspired by legend of sanctuary.
May 22, 2015 6:26 PM

Apr 2008
Aphrodite just wrecked =D Don't you just love him? SO DID Saga. My goodness, Saga and Aphro are cute. The strange animation xD (lol) Making the Goldies cute.

Again, Deathmask's character. I don't even know; this probably confirms that Camus is messed up too. He had a love interest? Or maybe I should just say he was sensitive? Man he's soft. What a strange change.

But it was still an entertaining episode. It was nice to see an impassioned performance of Tanaka Ryoichi (C.V: Deathmask). Personally, it takes a while to convert from the deep, dignified sound of DM from the 12 Temples Sagas to this humorous, drunken tone of DM, which you can hear from even the video games and the Hades OVA series. The qualities are considerably different, especially when compared to the other Goldies who maintained their own VAs (ie: Shaka, Aphrodite).

Even so Uncle Tanaka, you're still cool. You can still sense a bit of a fight spirit. Elderly, but refreshing.
May 22, 2015 9:03 PM
Mar 2011
I could be wrong but if you actually counted the pedastals werent there 13? Saga is the strongest gold saint its non cannonically official now LOL. you see how much freaken power he has the guy left a huge ass creater. I dont think aphrodite is dead so since for whtever reason the gold saints cant die there he is prabably in some type of suspended animation that cuts off his cosmo and puts him in some sort of coma. now i have to wait till my next pay check to see. I cantr wait to see the capricorn saint.
May 23, 2015 8:11 AM

Jun 2013
This means Camus wants to destroy the Yggdrasil from inside.
I think Shaka is stronger than Saga. Hope Shaka will fight his first match at Asgard soon.
May 23, 2015 6:05 PM
Apr 2015
one curious thing: Helena died, but actually Deathmask can use the Sekishichi to go after her and avoid her falling into the Yomotsu, isnt' it? ;)
This is his great power, after all he is the hell's gatekeeper... then, why is he crying? I think he is an amazing character and successor of a tremendous power as we could see from Manigoldo, Sage and Hakurei... but of course Kurumada hates this sign...
RyukiderMay 23, 2015 6:15 PM
May 24, 2015 8:32 AM

Dec 2008
jirico said:
Best episode until now. Too bad Afrodite got kidnapped just after he find out a way to destroy Yggdrasil.

I think Aphrodite transmitted the information he extracted to Mu, which is how they know how to destroy the Yggdrasil's barrier in the next episode.
May 24, 2015 1:11 PM

Oct 2011
Kurama errr Aphrodite NOOOO

Deathmask surprised Andreas

Helena NOOO T___T

God Cloth OMG
May 24, 2015 1:22 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was very cringeworthy lol.
May 25, 2015 7:59 AM
Apr 2015
Soul of Gold is being very nice, and I hope they continue, but I think Kurumada needs to learn from Shiori (from Lost Canvas) how to properly define a Gold Saint. There should stop this thing about which GS is strong or weak, leave it to the fans! We all see Kurumada trying to fix his issues with Aphrodite and Deathmask, but still you can feel his rage and disgust against both. I am not surprised we also see a very bad Shura... Shiori, however, with Manigoldo, El Cid, Albafica and all the other GS from both anime and manga, managed to deliver the best of what you can expect from Athena Gold Saint.
As I already feel the differences between Kurumada and Shiori, I neglect to read or even touch "Next Dimension". I need to say I "tried" to watch Omega, but I gave up, Soul of Gold is far away better than it. It is an insult the way they put Shiryu, Ikki, these school to leran "elements" thing and these lame new Gold Saints.
My opinion:
Lost Canvas: 5/5
Classic SS (Athena/Asgard/Poseidon/Hades): 5/5
Soul of Gold: 4/5
Legend of Sactuary: 3/5 (but nice animation)
Omega: 1/5
May 25, 2015 2:32 PM

Oct 2014
Well, that was awesome. I want to say some things. While some people say that Deathmask and Aphrodite are acting totally out of character, I remind you about Hades arc, when all of them sacrificed their lives for Athena. They already acted totally out of character. I mean, who expected Aphrodite and Deathmask to sacrifice their lives for the greater good, moreover for Athena, who they never seemed to be loyal to? In the anime version Aphrodite even gave some parting words to Shun, which was like... totally out of character. The point is, they changed. They are not the same characters as they were before. This is the whole point of Hades arc, after fighting with their respecting opponents, gaining defeat and dying, they learned something, and changed. All this stuff in the beginning of Hades OVA was an act. In the manga it is downright stated, and in the anime it is hinted (or stated as well, don't remember for sure). Now they died once again... after just being revived. So it makes sense why Deathmask acts like he did. We never really learned anything about him, nor his backstory, nor the reasons for his acts, not even the circumstances under which he killed all these people. All we learnt was that he was cruel and sadistic and killed those who pope (Saga, I guess) ordered him to kill. This could happen, that most of his victims were enemies during the war, not necessarily bad people, but enemies, and enemies must be annihilated, this is how Sanctuary, and Saint Seiya works in general. What I speak about is that even if Deathmask's victims were good people, they were not necessarily the civilians, they could be warriors, like the ones who were destroyed by Aphrodite. I am not trying to justify his actions, I am just trying to say that we barely know anything about Deathmask, Aiolia tried to kill Seiya, even though he was supposedly a good guy, because Seiya was his enemy. And given how twisted was Deathmask, it is not a wonder, that he was even more fine with killing his enemies, being it children or women.

Now about Aphrodite. He was shown attacking only his enemies, the island which was destroyed by him, (in anime it was Milo mostly, and Aphrodite killed only Shun's master) consisted only of saints in training. They were said to be enemies and traitors , so he killed them, yes, he fought unfair, and was pretty twisted as well, but he never was said to attack civilians, as far as I remember.

It is worth nothing that we never even got to see what they acted like in the normal life, we saw them only in the battlefield. I mean, just compare, how different is Aiolia while he actually fights, and when he is just in Sanctuary, not actually doing anything. And he is supposed to be the kindest of them all.

Now all of this is not that important, I just tried to give a clarification. What is really important is that they changed. They are not the same people as they were before. It was clearly shown in Hades saga, of course Kurumada's view on their personalities and their changes may differ from Toei's one, but it isn't the point, the point is that some time passed since Sanctuary arc before Hades saga, and even since their death near the Wailing Wall. There was enough time for them to rethink their ideals, and to change. In fact Capricorn Shura did it in amount of moments, after which he sacrificed his cloth for Shiryu's sake. It would have been out of character, if they acted like that in Sanctuary saga, when they were downright evil , but now they are not, they've changed in Hades saga, and any new personality for them will not be out of character, as people grow and change. Like did anyone expect Cassios to do what he did, after he was shown to be a generic bad guy, who abused Seiya? Yet he made one of the most selfless sacrifices, in order to help the woman he loved and admired. Why Deathmask and Aphrodite, who are Gold Saints, can't be the same?

Now about their personalities themselves, while I may not agree with some changes to Deathmask's personality, and find the way to change it not very good (though I find it pretty good now after rewatching), I admire the sole factor of effort, they did. I mean, seriously, Deathmask is viewed to be just a pathetic, weak and evil guy in the fandom. Yet Toei actually tried to do something with this character, and develope him more from his defeat by Shiryu's hands. I mean, I absolutely love this reference to him losing cloth. Like he seriously started thinking about why all of this happened. Why he lost to some simple bronze saint? Why did his cloth abandon him? This just shows plenty of character development for him. I had some doubt, but after rewatching an episode, I absolutely love it, and it makes sense. Now this scene with Helena was very ironic, and has shown the most character development for Deathmasque. I mean, he was stated to kill women, and children, probably even siblings. Yet, when he was given a chance to see the real life, outside of the war. He noticed, that those people who he killed actually had their beliefs, their strengths (despite being physically weak). That they could struggle hard to protect those they love, even without big amounts of cosmo, cool shining armor, and while being ill to top it off. He noticed it, and then I guess, he understood, he was wrong. He found those people as nothing more than pathetic toys for his amusement, but he was wrong, it wasn't like that. And that is why he felt such an attachment to Helene, because she represented everything which he was hating and destroying all these years, while he understood that his thoughts were wrong He wanted to protect her for all needs to compensate for everything he did earlier, to wash it away, to destroy all his bad deeds. Or, at least it is how I see it now, after rewatching an episode. But he failed. And that was why he cried. I also absolutely love the fact that they didn't make a copy of Manigoldo of him. I mean, I love a guy, but Deathmask isn't Maingoldo. It is good that they let him to be his own character.

It is worth noting that he is shown to be the same as he was in Sanctuary saga and for the most Hades saga in the opening of Soul of Gold, so he will probably return to the same way as he was before, or will act like he did, but fighting for the greater good. Nothing definite, just my thoughts.

Aphrodite. Now his demeanor makes more sense, and doesn't requre much words, yes, he acts much more like Misty now, but why not? Were we shown him actually outside of the war? I believe, not, to top it off, he is kinda looking like a complete opposite of Shun, while being handsome (and even wearing similar clothes to Shun in latest episodes), but actually stating it, unlike Shun, who doesn't seem to care much about it. He is also very harsh, as was shown while he attacked a God Warrior a couple of times, even after him being already weakened because of his roses, because he didn't answer his question. While Shun is an absolute opposite of it, who won't hurt a fly, unless there is a certain need. He fights for people now, but why not? These people are not his enemies, they are victims, who are attacked and abducted by God Warriors, those who he killed during his time in Sanctuary were his enemies, they could be completely good people, yet they were stated to be enemies by a pope, and he got an order, which he performed. Here he doesn't have any orders, those guys are civilians, and they are not his enemies, so he saves them. Makes sense.
Phoenix_WrightMay 25, 2015 2:44 PM
May 25, 2015 2:45 PM

Jul 2009
Saga being awesome! hehe
Aphrodite was doing so well, then Andreas showed up to kill him.
DM finally decided to fight, he do have feelings...
May 25, 2015 4:06 PM
Apr 2013
Ok I have a soft side for DM and Aphrodite...Kurumada treated them so badly in the Hades Saga (defeated at the same time by Mu's starlight extinction, that scene with radamanthys...) i think their defeats to Shiryu and Shun were understandable, but their part in Hades' saga is what make them look as the weakest gold saints. (Kurumada knew this and tried to make it right for pisces and cancer in lost canvas, that's why Albafica and Manigoldo are so fuckin awesome...)

Aphrodite is clearly not dead. In fact near the end of the episode you see him standing among yggdrasil's roots. He has normal clothes. A second later you see Andreas observing and smirking. So he has been either controlled or kidnapped. I also like the fact that he wiped the floor without breaking a sweat with that god warrior. And he was stabbed by Yggdrasil because he was trying to protect helena. He's MIA now but he'll be back

About Deathmask, I really love how the character is developing. Really sad and emotional scene the one with helena.

Kurumada has to make things right with these two, so i expect they play a big role in this war.
May 26, 2015 9:45 AM
Apr 2015
Hey Phoenix_Wright, really nice text, agree with you totally!! I cannot wait for the next episode and outcome of this saga!!!
May 26, 2015 10:52 PM

Jan 2011
finally some gold saint attacks that actually like powerfull, the first couple eps made them look weak an this time i saw actual animation, during the first few eps the fights were a bunch of stillshots this ep was an improvement
dunno what to think about Deathmask change, he is suppose to be cruel

Kingkittan said:
Kurumada knew this and tried to make it right for pisces and cancer in lost canvas, that's why Albafica and Manigoldo are so fuckin awesome

that was Shioris idea, if you ve read Next Dimension then you d know that Kurumada doesnt care about either cancer or piscis
May 26, 2015 10:58 PM

Dec 2008
What a great episode!!!
May 27, 2015 7:20 PM

Apr 2008
We shouldn't think that no one has the propensity to change or are inherently evil, which includes Aphrodite and Deathmask. The thing is that we, or at least I did, personally found it strange for DM to be so overly sentimental, when it's more suitable with characters like Hyoga and Seiya. It's really the arrogance of Cancer that makes them interesting.

Cancer, Pisces, and Capricorn were the ones who knowingly followed the evil Pope; I think Kuramada stated that he wanted Capricorn to be a bad guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if Shura's on the opposite side in his debut Soul of Gold episode. For whatever reason.

For Deathmask, he's "might makes right"; Shura is "justice is on the side of the strongest", almost similar. Only in the anime, he attacked baby Athena "by mistake". At the end of the 12 Houses battle, he apologized for raising a hand against his Goddess. Least he seems forgiving.

I guess Shion said it best: Even after death, Athena's Saints are still Saints.

If they considerably changed, it based on the producer/direction. Because right now, Camus is still making no sense unless he's brainwashed or had something planned. He and Shura defied being revived against Athena in one of the classic Seiya movies.
May 27, 2015 8:55 PM

Dec 2008
why the animation is so bad?
I miss lost canvas or hades chapter lol

anyway... is Saint Seiya after all so I'll keep watching this
May 29, 2015 4:14 PM

Mar 2012
i'm used with the bad animation already so it didn't really affect me. pretty nice episode btw (finally)
Oct 24, 2015 8:19 PM

Dec 2012
Cancer was a nice guy after all.
Apr 12, 2016 11:49 PM

Nov 2008
This was INTENSE!!! Hell, they made me cheer for Aphrodite and DeathMask!!!
Jan 31, 2020 2:19 AM

Jul 2016
Zennim27 said:
don't know if make sense to keep bashing the animation, it was relatively low budge, it is really inconsistent but the moments it requires to be good (like afrodite and saga fights) it improves a lot. the only criticism that i have and people don't seen to notice is the sound direction, the "glens" or fairy like sound that the knights make when launching an attack is really nonsensical and breaks my immersion at least like it was a truck.

the metal sound in the cloth is awesome though, probably something inspired by legend of sanctuary.

Animation was fine for the type of show this is.

I watch this sort of stuff to be reminded of saturday morning cartoons anyway.
Feb 19, 2023 9:25 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
WOW DEATHMASK AND APHRODITE, THE 2 SUCKERS STEPPED IT UP BIG TIME !!!!!!  😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲
張大です for 張大勇督察

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold Episode 2 Discussion

salvationhope - Apr 24, 2015

27 by Momoiro_Hime »»
Nov 29, 2023 2:29 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

salvationhope - Mar 22, 2015

56 by Momoiro_Hime »»
Nov 28, 2023 11:53 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold Episode 13 Discussion

salvationhope - Sep 25, 2015

34 by iamKetranLang »»
Feb 23, 2023 8:38 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold Episode 12 Discussion

salvationhope - Sep 11, 2015

29 by iamKetranLang »»
Feb 23, 2023 6:17 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold Episode 11 Discussion

Apollo_Madao - Aug 28, 2015

24 by iamKetranLang »»
Feb 23, 2023 5:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.