New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 26, 2015 12:14 PM

May 2015
yes, completely kills character .
May 26, 2015 12:17 PM
Mar 2011
SeibaaHomu said:
You do realise they kind of redubbed the entire show, a whole bunch of the movies and GT with the original music intact and a more accurate script quite a while back right? I mean, that's not even news. They completed it in 2009.

The only dub they didn't redo was Dragon Ball but that was only because the dub they originally made (Which was done from 2001 to 2003) was already uncut.

other asain nations who talk english got a non ebgluih versions of the real op and ed in englsh made by the acual proerp atrists]

im talking tv casting and ont only hime media like i think what your saying the re dun was fore

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 26, 2015 12:50 PM

Oct 2012
ZetaZaku said:
All English voice actors suck. Only Malaysian people voice acting in English can do a competent job at English voice acting.
I'd take Malaysian dubs over English dubs any day, one at least has great comedy value while the other is pure cringe.
May 26, 2015 3:18 PM

May 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
offmodel said:

I would agree with that, for sure, it's the main difference I notice since the switch from ADV to Sentai. AFAIK, it's still the old Seraphim/Amusement Park studio, but they don't seem to get the same resources they used to (sometimes they do though, like with Appleseed/Captain Harlock, but I think that's because of Warner Bros.)

EDIT: Just to explain that, Seraphim did the Harlock dub, but you can't get it in the U.S. - legally - yet. Here's a clip:

2nd EDIT: I just looked into it, apparently the DVD is out, but not the BD. I thought both were supposed to hit at the same time, but apparently not (the Japanese BD doesn't have the dub on it, just FYI, I already have that one) - I'm holding out for the U.S. BD though, not sure what is up with it. You can apparently get the HD version with the dub via Amazon's VOD service, though.

You can import the Australian or UK BD with the dub, though (I may or may not have seen a rip of this awhile back).
Yeah, ADV did make some pretty good dubs back in the day. Also, all the non Sentai dubs done at Seraphim that I've heard sound just fine. The same goes for some of Sentai's more popular titles so I'm guessing that it's a lack of funding on Sentai's end. They probably decided with some of the less popular shows (Considering Funimation, Aniplex and Viz get all the popular stuff I'd that's about 80% of their library) that they could save money by skipping or at least rushing through some of the steps in the adaptation process.

Although what puzzles me is why they'd even make the English dub in the first place if they thought the show's popularity wouldn't justify putting the appropriate amount of effort in to do it justice. I mean, is there really an audience of people out there who are into niche stuff but at the same time are vehemently dub only to the point where they don't care how good the voice acting is or whether the show retains what made the original series so good? I don't think anyone wanted Penguindrum's dub to turn out the way it did and from I've gathered it didn't sell too well.

I know that 99 times out of 100 there's inevitably going to be a crowd of people who blindly rant and rave no matter how good or bad a dub is. And in the years I've been watching anime the only dub I've seen get an overwhelmingly positive response on the day it was revealed from all corners of the fandom is Panty & Stocking probably because of the obvious American influences and the general consensus that 'Who the fuck are you calling a whore you god damn cunt' sounds a lot funnier than 'Who are you calling a whore?'

But it's mostly people like me who actually watch English dubs on a pretty regular basis and pay attention to what all the western companies are doing that are criticising Sentai.

FGAU1912 said:
lest they got propr engtrasltion of the songs unllkie the us dub witch raped some of the modt loved anison s=of all time
Not that this is the first time that I've doubted your Japanese heritage, but 'Goku' is not pronounced 'Gogoo'.

Pretty sure that if something gets dubbed, they obviously think the dub is going to sell like hotcakes, otherwise they wouldn't bother, being the money grubbing business that it is today and all.
May 26, 2015 4:03 PM

Jun 2014
No, I like many English VAs. I watch both dubs & subs, and I usually go for dubs first if they exist, and are uncut, but I don't really have any problem with Japanese VAs either.

May 26, 2015 4:10 PM

Jun 2011
Depends on the anime. A lot of things are lost in translation from English to Japanese, though certain anime cover for that in other ways. Personally, I think Crispin Freeman is the greatest English VA and made watching the dub for Hellsing enjoyable.

May 26, 2015 4:10 PM

Mar 2014
Working_Designs said:
No, I like many English VAs. I watch both dubs & subs, and I usually go for dubs first if they exist, and are uncut, but I don't really have any problem with Japanese VAs either.
So you've decided to come back to the forums after all?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 26, 2015 4:12 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Working_Designs said:

Yeah, for now.

May 26, 2015 4:13 PM

Mar 2014
Working_Designs said:
Comic_Sans said:

Yeah, for now.
And you still believe that Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei is seinen?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 26, 2015 4:17 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Working_Designs said:

Yeah, for now.

Well, it's not aimed toward 8 year old kids.

May 26, 2015 4:23 PM

Aug 2014
I hate dubs

Look at this Angel Beats dub.
Skip to 4:33

Like, what the hell was that cry LOL?
He was like euguegehgeheugueghehgegdg
May 26, 2015 4:27 PM

Mar 2014
Working_Designs said:
Comic_Sans said:

Well, it's not a seinen either
Tehqo said:
I hate dubs

[yt*]H3Z-Cv-kAzs[/yt]

I think someone was trying to strangle the voice actor. Poor boii
Nico- said:
May 26, 2015 4:30 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Working_Designs said:

Okay then, what would you call it?

May 26, 2015 4:32 PM

Mar 2014
Working_Designs said:
Comic_Sans said:

Okay then, what would you call it?
17+

Psychological

A great tale about life

Not a seinen
Nico- said:
May 26, 2015 4:36 PM

Nov 2014
The few dubs i watched were pretty good. Take Baccano for example ~
May 26, 2015 4:39 PM

Mar 2014
KawaiiWeeabz said:
Yeah, Baccano! was great. I actually enjoyed it as much as the sub
Nico- said:
May 26, 2015 6:22 PM
Apr 2010
KawaiiWeeabz said:

Not surprising, considering the setting and the characters. Usually shows that are sorta catered to the western audience are going to have good dubs.
May 26, 2015 7:27 PM

Sep 2014
For me, watching dub can be awkward at times. I am not too sure why.

I like the dub for Cowboy, DB series, Black Butler, Bleach and a couple of others.

Definitely not TTGL.
May 26, 2015 8:33 PM

Mar 2012
Tehqo said:
I hate dubs

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use a Sentai Filmworks dub if you want to explain why all dubs are bad. It's equivalent to using Hitler as an example of why all German people are evil.

Dark_Chaos said:
Pretty sure that if something gets dubbed, they obviously think the dub is going to sell like hotcakes, otherwise they wouldn't bother, being the money grubbing business that it is today and all.
Well Sentai must not know the market very well if they thought people would buy Shiawase no Pan. And more recently they've decided to dub Magical Warfare which wasn't popular by any stretch and was so shitty that the author of the source material publicly renounced it.

And as I said, there's a clear difference in effort between this shit

and some of their more popular titles like Watamote.
SeibaaHomuMay 26, 2015 8:36 PM
May 27, 2015 6:42 AM

May 2015
I quite liked the FMA:B English voice acting.

I prefer subs to dubs because I am super picky about words used and since I don't understand a single word of Japanese, I can watch the anime and not cringe at every mispronunciation.

Saying that ALL english dubs and dubbing artists suck would be a little harsh. You should listen to hindi dubs.

May 27, 2015 2:22 PM

May 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
Tehqo said:
I hate dubs

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use a Sentai Filmworks dub if you want to explain why all dubs are bad. It's equivalent to using Hitler as an example of why all German people are evil.

Dark_Chaos said:
Well Sentai must not know the market very well if they thought people would buy Shiawase no Pan. And more recently they've decided to dub Magical Warfare which wasn't popular by any stretch and was so shitty that the author of the source material publicly renounced it.

And as I said, there's a clear difference in effort between this shit

and some of their more popular titles like Watamote.

There will always be an exception to the rule, as even in this money grubbing industry, people still take risks and break away from the safe tropes.

Dark_Chaos said:
May 27, 2015 4:00 PM

Aug 2010
No, there are many good English voice actors.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

May 27, 2015 5:32 PM

Jan 2010
Well for most anime the english is horrible. I won't watch it. I always prefer Japanese with English subs because it just sounds so much better plus I can read really fast. lol.

BUT. One exception for me was Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I actually really enjoyed that anime in English. The voice actor for Edward Elric, Vic Mignogna does a great job in my opinion.
May 27, 2015 7:51 PM

Jun 2007
SeibaaHomu said:
Although what puzzles me is why they'd even make the English dub in the first place if they thought the show's popularity wouldn't justify putting the appropriate amount of effort in to do it justice. I mean, is there really an audience of people out there who are into niche stuff but at the same time are vehemently dub only to the point where they don't care how good the voice acting is or whether the show retains what made the original series so good? I don't think anyone wanted Penguindrum's dub to turn out the way it did and from I've gathered it didn't sell too well.
There is a vocal "no dub, no buy" contingent on sites like ANN and Fandompost, but I'm sure they can't be numerous enough to salvage sales numbers on an otherwise marginal series. Maybe Sentai thought that they were numerous enough, but it seems they've changed their tune and aren't dubbing as much these days. I've often joked that companies should move to selling drama CDs of dub VAs reading scripts (perhaps with the music&effects audio for accompaniment), since the "no dub, no buy" crowd doesn't seem to value the art, animation, story, characters, music, Japanese voice acting, or other elements all that much.

Or it's possible that they're churning out dubs to try and get more of a foothold on mainstream streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu, but if those dubs give a bad impression of specific shows or anime in general, it's kinda pointless...
May 27, 2015 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
in all fairness, it really depends on who it is, and who the company/studio is that dubs the show. however, in most cases it is never the fault of the actor, and the studio (ei Funimation) wants to pump out an english dub as fast as possible with zero quality control.
May 28, 2015 6:12 AM

May 2013
Zalis said:
The "no dub, no buy" crowd doesn't seem to value the art, animation, story, characters, music, Japanese voice acting, or other elements all that much.

Where did you get that silly notion? :S The dub-only watchers value all elements of any Anime they watch. They'd kind of have to if they've seen it, ya know? :)
May 28, 2015 6:19 AM

May 2013
I haven't heard as much english voice acting, as I have japanese, but in general they are quite bad.
But there is a limit on what a voice actor can do with a bad script. English voice acting wouldn't be half bad with proper scripts.
May 28, 2015 6:36 AM

May 2015
Not really i mean it depends on the anime. In recent years i've found that the english voice actors for anime are getting a lot better.
I still prefer subs though :P.

One piece english dub sucks...
This is it!, are you ready?
May 28, 2015 6:48 AM

Jun 2012
It jsut sound so weird when English actor try to make Loli voice ........
May 28, 2015 7:19 AM

Oct 2014
Since English is my first language, I prefer dubs. I also like watching subs. I like both.

The good dubs for me are:
- Baccano
- Black Lagoon
- Dbz
- Binbougami ga
- Afro Samurai
- Berserk
- B Gata H Kei
- Dance in the Vampire Bund
- Deadman Wonderland
- Death Note
- Fate/Zero
- Hellsing
- Ninja scroll series
- Attack on Titan

Bad dubs:
- Any character which doesn't show much emotion.

But of course this is all subjective to me, generally though if you start to watch something dub/sub then you stick with it and It's weird to try and change it.

Just like emotionless voice actors though, Japanese voice actors, especially for the cute type of girls sound really annoying sometimes, and I can't stand that.
May 28, 2015 7:23 AM

Mar 2014
Shadake said:
Nobody does that ''O-onii-chan... i-it won't fit'' voice like them Jap gurls
Camzarcar said:
- Deadman Wonderland
- Attack on Titan
Lol
Comic_SansMay 28, 2015 7:27 AM
Nico- said:
May 28, 2015 10:30 AM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Shadake said:
Camzarcar said:
- Deadman Wonderland
- Attack on Titan
Lol

It's subjective, thank you for your input. I think Attack on Titan has amazing voice actors. lol x 2.
May 28, 2015 11:00 AM

Sep 2009
YES.
fuck yes.

can't stand any english dub.
May 28, 2015 11:23 AM

Jun 2007
Dark_Chaos said:
Zalis said:
The "no dub, no buy" crowd doesn't seem to value the art, animation, story, characters, music, Japanese voice acting, or other elements all that much.

Where did you get that silly notion? :S The dub-only watchers value all elements of any Anime they watch. They'd kind of have to if they've seen it, ya know? :)
These "no dub, no buy" people aren't necessarily dub-only watchers -- often they've seen and liked the shows via downloads/streams, but don't think they're worth buying unless they're dubbed. Hence, my conclusion that they don't place enough value on the other elements to make a given show worth buying.
May 28, 2015 11:46 AM

Mar 2012
Eucli said:
English voice acting wouldn't be half bad with proper scripts.
You say with your incredibly limited knowledge of what most English dubs actually sound like, obvious bias and complete lack of knowledge on how the adaptation process works.

Dark_Chaos said:

There will always be an exception to the rule, as even in this money grubbing industry, people still take risks and break away from the safe tropes.
Well Sentai probably make more dubs for properties that you're calling 'exceptions' than they do the popular stuff.

Not to mention these are the same guys who didn't even realise that Chuunibyou was popular enough to warrant a dub until after they announced a sub only release and had angry mobs of people call them out on their mistake. Diabolik Lovers on the other hand? Dubbed without any hesitation.

Even though it's not up to par with what I expect from an English dub produced in 2015 (Seriously, the woman who plays Nibutani is fucking atrocious) Chu2's dub is pretty well above average for Sentai. I could just say they have no god damn clue what the market is like and they genuinely thought those crappy shows would sell. But if I go by that assumption then why is it that the Watamote dub didn't suck balls like Penguindrum's? Is that just a coincidence? Did Steve Foster and all the VAs just happen to be having a bad day when they did the dub?
May 28, 2015 12:12 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Not EVERY single time but generally yes

Though I don't think it's entirely their fault admittedly. Japanese just doesn't translate very well to English to begin with. Many things will just end up sounding like crap no matter who's voicing it
May 28, 2015 1:11 PM

May 2013
Zalis said:
These "no dub, no buy" people aren't necessarily dub-only watchers -- often they've seen and liked the shows via downloads/streams, but don't think they're worth buying unless they're dubbed. Hence, my conclusion that they don't place enough value on the other elements to make a given show worth buying.

How does their language preference determine how much they value art, animation, sound, etc? Because I don't see how it makes a difference to be honest. Please, elaborate.
May 28, 2015 2:11 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Nah, I don't think English VAs are awful. I just often feel like their voices don't match the characters most times, but there are a few gems out there.

Crispin Freeman as Kyon > Sugita Tomokazu as Kyon
Anything voiced by Steven Blum
Ian Sinclair as Space Dandy > Junichi Suwabe
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

May 28, 2015 2:45 PM

May 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
Eucli said:
English voice acting wouldn't be half bad with proper scripts.
You say with your incredibly limited knowledge of what most English dubs actually sound like, obvious bias and complete lack of knowledge on how the adaptation process works.

It's limited in comparison to japanese. It's not like I've watched a dozen dubs and I go around saying how bad they all are. I don't have to lick all the asses in the world to know that they taste bad.
I know quite well the process and I know that most scripts are very bad.

It's amazing how you can conclude in so many stuff from two sentences that mentioned none of the stuff you assumed.
May 28, 2015 3:04 PM

May 2013
romagia said:
no but i deliberately avoid dubs so im not sure how they even sound like
The world shall know the truth soon.
May 28, 2015 3:20 PM
Feb 2015
No.

You need only look at all the ghibli films which all have great English dubs and even the kids dubbing is good. In particular my neighbour totoro and spirited away.

What about cowboy bebop, one of the greatest English dubs ever and is better to watch in English. Fma brotherhood has one of the greatest dubs as well. Code geass is good, death note's dub is brilliant. Rebuild of Eva films have good dubbing.

Of course there are stinkers such as Elfen lied dub which is fucking horrendous. And the majority of dubs in the mid 80s to early 90s are awful. But most anime dubs I see now are at the very least not bad and some have extremely good performances and is even better to hear in English rather than Japanese.

I think more people should stand up for English voice actors as it is an unfair taboo and they need work as it is a tight market and they do the best they can and for the most part they do it very well. Of course some anime is better than Japanese but the majority of English voice actors are quite good.
May 28, 2015 3:24 PM

May 2012
ITT people who have only watched dubs from the 90's.
May 28, 2015 3:48 PM

Mar 2014
Camzarcar said:
Comic_Sans said:
Lol

It's subjective, thank you for your input. I think Attack on Titan has amazing voice actors. lol x 2.
The sentence ''Shingeki no Kyojin has amazing English voice acting'' doesn't exist, unless you put a ''doesn't have'' between ''Shingeki no Kyojin'' and ''amazing English voice acting''

The same goes for the Japanese version too
Nico- said:
May 28, 2015 4:24 PM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Camzarcar said:

The sentence ''Shingeki no Kyojin has amazing English voice acting'' doesn't exist, unless you put a ''doesn't have'' between ''Shingeki no Kyojin'' and ''amazing English voice acting''

Thanks for explaining your opinion, ie. 'it's bad'...would you mind explaining what elements make the english and japanese version bad or just average?
May 28, 2015 4:26 PM
Jan 2015
I stick to sub as the tone of the voices doesn't seem to be off in some situations
May 28, 2015 4:26 PM

Mar 2014
Camzarcar said:
Comic_Sans said:

Thanks for explaining your opinion, ie. 'it's bad'...would you mind explaining what elements make the english and japanese version bad or just average?
I don't count ''screaming and overacting all the time'' as ''voice acting''

I count it as ''overacting and screaming all the time''
Nico- said:
May 28, 2015 5:03 PM

Jun 2013
All Japanese voice actors sound the same. American voice actors sound very different and have a wide range. And no they aren't awful at all, anyone who says so is a blatant troll and haven't watched any recent dubs. I watch dubs because I speak English, I want to watch anime in my own language instead of reading subtitles the entire time.
May 28, 2015 5:30 PM

Mar 2014
KaminaTheMighty said:
All Japanese voice actors sound the same. American voice actors sound very different and have a wide range. And no they aren't awful at all, anyone who says so is a blatant troll and haven't watched any recent dubs. I watch dubs because I speak English, I want to watch anime in my own language instead of reading subtitles the entire time.
KaminaTheMighty said:
Higurashi was actually pretty good in English. I mean honestly, it wasn't that bad. Of course it wasn't that good, but I mean it didn't bother me.
KaminaTheMighty said:
I thought //The Elfen Lied dub// was excellent

Nice to see that you have high standards
Nico- said:
May 28, 2015 6:19 PM

Jun 2013
May 28, 2015 6:22 PM

Mar 2014
KaminaTheMighty said:
It's not my fault that your voice acting quality bar is set really low
Nico- said:
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

46 by mason_black »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

77 by Vosgy »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

48 by JKKH »»
8 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

39 by mason_black »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

88 by APolygons2 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.