Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer realistic or heroic characters?

New
Heroic vs. Realistic?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 16, 2015 10:04 PM

Jun 2014
realistic hero
May 16, 2015 10:14 PM

Nov 2011
If you're gonna answer, even if it's both, try actually giving some sort of reason why you chose so. 1-2 word answers are pointless and nobody cares. I don't care if you think the poll is stupid, express it with words if you need to post at all.
May 16, 2015 11:56 PM

Aug 2013
realistic because they are more human and more interesting then heroic characters
huh
May 17, 2015 1:34 AM

Nov 2011
Even battle shounen-style heroes that have very few flaws can be realistic character-wise in the right framing, but I don't know of any anime/manga examples. Being good is a lot harder than fiction tends to portray it.

In terms of simple heroic acts, that obviously can be realistic. Police and firefighters could do this, for example.

I don't think I prefer one over the other as is. I'm generally going to prefer the morally good character given an equal amount of depth and/or character development, regardless as to whether they're "realistic" or not. (Again, I don't think characters need a lot of flaws to be considered realistic; their struggles just need to be portrayed appropriately.)
May 17, 2015 7:51 AM

Nov 2011
offmodel said:
dnautics said:
Strange question. You can be heroic but not realistic? I am struggling to understand what you meant here.

There have been many heroic people in history, and they were very real.

I think he was mostly referring to your battle shounen type of hero, but I could be wrong. You're right though, heroes do exist in reality, it's pretty ridiculous to act like there haven't been extraordinary people throughout history.

I never once said they can't be realistic. You just don't often see both in an anime. Just look at the threads. The examples I see are Simon and Batman. I count two so far, and one isn't anime.
May 17, 2015 7:58 AM
Jan 2015
LunarProxy said:

I never once said they can't be realistic. You just don't often see both in an anime. Just look at the threads. The examples I see are Simon and Batman. I count two so far, and one isn't anime.

I'd say you're right, but there are the occasional examples. I'd say Kaneda (from Akira) is pretty realistic, Isamu Dyson (from Macross Plus) is a fairly realistic character, Shirotsugh Lhadatt (from Honneamise), etc. Then again, almost every example I can think of is going to be from an old sci-fi anime.
May 17, 2015 8:13 AM

Nov 2011
TripleSRank said:
Even battle shounen-style heroes that have very few flaws can be realistic character-wise in the right framing, but I don't know of any anime/manga examples. Being good is a lot harder than fiction tends to portray it.

In terms of simple heroic acts, that obviously can be realistic. Police and firefighters could do this, for example.

I don't think I prefer one over the other as is. I'm generally going to prefer the morally good character given an equal amount of depth and/or character development, regardless as to whether they're "realistic" or not. (Again, I don't think characters need a lot of flaws to be considered realistic; their struggles just need to be portrayed appropriately.)

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding this. I didn't really like the word realistic, but I still can't think of a better one. Definitely not as far as 'coward'. By heroic I mean a heroic personality, the kind of person ready to do things the average Joe wouldn't even consider. The average Joe is usually more relatable assuming he has a personality and isn't some cardboard cutout. The heroic character would be like Kamina, MC from Samurai Champloo, and to an extent, Ichigo from Bleach. Batman isn't 'realistic' by what I'm saying as he doesn't represent the majority. Whereas Simon can be both, specifically in the first half, as more people could relate to him.

And characters don't have to be heroic OR realistic. Look at Light Yagami from Death Note. He feels empowered when he has the Death Note, but he doesn't have a heroic personality. It's more of a control thing. And he certainly doesn't act like a realistic character would.

I just really hate the word realistic here. And I don't like even using the term Average Joe, as characters that I would call realistic are like the MCs in Colorful, Jin-Roh, and The Sky Crawlers. While they aren't necessarily very interesting characters on their own, the interest comes from moral dilemmas and such. offmodel's example of Shirotsugh from Honneamise is really spot-on for being both, and is probably the best example I know.
May 17, 2015 8:19 AM

Oct 2014
Both. Like Gintoki maybe?
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
May 17, 2015 8:48 AM

Sep 2014
You just described two sides of a character, dude.
The sun is a deadly laser
May 18, 2015 4:12 AM

Mar 2012
Heroic male characters = Faggot
Heroic female characters = Otaku bait
Realistic characters = relatable to all pussies out there
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
May 18, 2015 4:38 AM

Jul 2014
Realistic > Anti-hero > A sponge > Heroic
May 18, 2015 4:51 AM

Apr 2014
Everything > realistic
May 18, 2015 4:58 AM

Jul 2013
Realistic because heroic are boring and very annoying
May 18, 2015 5:40 AM
Apr 2015
A mixture of both. There are lot of heroic people throughout the World and human history who sometimes got lucky and made it big. You cannot really say a person is heroic and not realistic. To me I like heroic characters with flaws and who grows as the series progress. That is one of the main reason I like mangas because they don't have perfect characters, the characters grow over time and become better and stronger such as Naruto and Luffy as oppose to superheroes like Superman who is already like a perfect person from the beginning.

And you don't have to be average joe's to be a realistic character. There are exceptional people in the World and that is reaistic.
May 18, 2015 5:46 AM

Nov 2011
Dragon88 said:
A mixture of both. There are lot of heroic people throughout the World and human history who sometimes got lucky and made it big. You cannot really say a person is heroic and not realistic. To me I like heroic characters with flaws and who grows as the series progress. That is one of the main reason I like mangas because they don't have perfect characters, the characters grow over time and become better and stronger such as Naruto and Luffy as oppose to superheroes like Superman who is already like a perfect person from the beginning.

And you don't have to be average joe's to be a realistic character. There are exceptional people in the World and that is reaistic.

I had a post about that earlier, but I give up. Thanks for reciting the same points other people did earlier, though. These also aren't black and white categories, so of course not everything is one or the other.

(Everything below not replying to Dragon88.)

Anyhow, about half of the posts add pretty much nothing to any sort of discussion. What boring people, their opinions mean nothing to me if they don't say why.

I'm in a crappy mood, so I'll collect the crappy posts.

Not one of these has either effort nor the beginning of an explanation. Thus, they serve little to no importance in a discussion forum. I know these aren't only here, I'm just sick of crap answers in every thread, all the time. There's a whole surplus. Just gonna quote myself:
LunarProxy said:
If you're gonna answer, even if it's both, try actually giving some sort of reason why you chose so. 1-2 word answers are pointless and nobody cares. I don't care if you think the poll is stupid, express it with words if you need to post at all.
Luna_SparkleMay 18, 2015 5:53 AM
May 18, 2015 8:26 PM
May 2015
It's kind of difficult to really classify realistic and heroic as two different ends of the spectrum when asking for an either/or type answer. Characters can easily be both or those, or neither. I think I kinda get what you were looking for though, so here is my 2 cents :D

I like to see characters that are realistic and become heroic, instead the over dramatic, can't be hurt, born a badass hero.

It is pretty fun to watch a realistic character form into a heroic role. Laying that realistic groundwork first to me makes the whole heroic transformation a lot better. Developing the realistic basis for a character puts me in that mentality that they are very able to be hurt/killed and they are being a hero out of true courage, being completely nuts, or is just are a normal person put in the right circumstances to be heroic. It also makes the show much more compelling when you don't know the outcome of their heroic actions. A show with a hero that you know will survive/prevail in all their heroic actions to me isn't exciting...it's just going through the motions. I don't really think someone like Superman for example, saving someone from a fire, when he bathes in the sun, is heroic. It's an awesome thing to do, but is it really heroic if you're 100% sure that you'll be totally fine?

Good example of a very realistic character making a pretty normal to "hero" transformation to me would be Kurono from Gantz. If you want to see what I mean by any chance, watch it :D
May 19, 2015 12:13 AM

Jul 2012
Definetely heroic types.

Although, even heroes have a 'real' side. I much prefer characters like Lelouch, L, Keima (TWGOK), Kenshin, Itachi or Levi who have some sort of heroic or amazing quality but then demonstrate their humanity, weakness and realism later on, than blank-slate 'normal' characters like Kyon, yuki (Mirai Nikki) or Shu (guilty crown) that get dragged around by circumstance and only eventually decide to do something.
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...
May 19, 2015 7:41 PM

Sep 2014
LunarProxy said:
I guess 'realistic' isn't the best word, but I mean that they're very relatable, make mistakes, and so forth, while the 'heroic' characters tend to achieve the classic Good vs. Evil, and grow stronger after they fall. These heroic characters are quite common in battle shounen.

Of course, the distinction can be blurry, but the two categories are usually kept separate. The most common blur between these is when a round character rises to a challenge, but this can be decided by whether it was for the greater good of many, or a personal issue.

Some things to consider are the bad examples of heroic and realistic characters. Invincible heroes and their plot armor can be annoying or uninteresting, while realistic characters could instead come off as having a lack of personality.

For me, I absolutely love heroic characters as long as it's established and practiced that heroes aren't invincible. However, when realistic characters fall into moral dilemmas, such as in Jin-Roh, it can be extremely interesting in a different way. My vote goes for heroic.

Please give an explanation as to why you had chosen one over the other, as otherwise your answer isn't very interesting. You don't want to be a boring person, do you?

I prefer realistic characters with flaws which you can relate to instead of characters that are unflawed and can achieve anything.
May 19, 2015 11:41 PM
May 2015
I guess I have to go with realistic as I tend to get more invested in shows where the characters are relateable in someway.
Having said that some of my favourite characters are more on the heroic side so a nice healthy mixture of both I guess haha.
May 20, 2015 12:13 AM

May 2015
depends on how realistic and how heroic the character is in a particular series

May 20, 2015 12:27 AM
Jul 2018
Realistic...
I can't really understand why the "The louder I scream the stronger I get" type is so common ~__~
May 20, 2015 12:28 AM

May 2015
Why not both?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

60 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 5 hours ago

3 by nishant0 »»
32 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

40 by FanofAction »»
32 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

72 by luckyrune »»
35 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 1 hour ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.