Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2015 11:48 AM

Aug 2014
With the growing rate of technology, and the growing popularity of e-books, scans, and piracy, do you think books will become obsolete in the future? I hope it doesn't but in today's world it is cheaper to buy books on a tablet or kindle or whatever people have these days. I like reading an actual book and like having print books, especially for all my Manga. What do you think guys?
ssjtkMay 12, 2015 5:22 PM
Thinking of you, wherever you are.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 12, 2015 11:51 AM

Dec 2014
Na, they may decline in certain genres like "Young Adult" for example, but they aren't going anywhere. Humanity is aware that digital technology can't be preserved.
May 12, 2015 11:51 AM
Jan 2015
If nature freaks have it their way yep because trees are people too
May 12, 2015 11:52 AM

Nov 2010
I hope not.
May 12, 2015 11:53 AM

Oct 2010
I hope not. I prefer purchasing and reading proper books, I'm not into that whole Kindle scene at all.
Plus new books and old books smell really good, so I would miss sniffing my books while reading them.
May 12, 2015 11:56 AM

Dec 2013
I doubt it, while technology is booming we've used paper and ink for centuries now to record and teach. Sometimes you can't beat a physical version with it's virtual counterpart. Beyond them being more accessible as they don't need electricity to be used, those who cherish written works will no doubt preserve them for historic purposes.
May 12, 2015 11:56 AM

Aug 2014
I only read manga online when it's not licensed in North America and there is no other way to read it.
May 12, 2015 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
I doubt it. There will always be an interest for physical books. It's obviously impossible to imagine what will happen down the line, but I'm pretty sure that physical books will stick around for many hundreds of years to come, in some form or another.
May 12, 2015 11:59 AM

May 2014
MidnightLPA said:
Na, they may decline in certain genres like "Young Adult" for example, but they aren't going anywhere. Humanity is aware that digital technology can't be preserved.
May 12, 2015 11:59 AM

Sep 2013
Someone, somewhere will continue to produce, purchase, and preserve books in some form. Even if you don't hear about it. Plus there are billions of books in homes and such, it would be a time consuming and difficult process to track them down and dispose of them all.
May 12, 2015 12:05 PM
Oct 2014
I highly doubt it. Do you think they will destroy old books and documents after they've digitalized it? If so they are very naive and simply retarded, and I will loose all hope for humanity that might be left.

Cersei said:

Plus new books and old books smell really good, so I would miss sniffing my books while reading them.

I do also get high on new books, old ones smell like disease though.

May 12, 2015 12:28 PM

Feb 2015
There's a flawed assumption that people who consume literature or "print media" just like words and will take them in any format.

Some people are like that, and they readily switch to digital mediums.

However, there's a large contingent who actually enjoys the book for being a book. Index, paper pages, binding type, font style, letter spacing.. All of it plays into the enjoyment of the work.

They seem like minor things, but they do make a difference. Your favorite anime could be a radio play. From a broad view it's the same thing - but.. it's not.

The same goes for books and the words inside of them. A great story is a series of words, but a good book is a great story well-presented. The context matters.
May 12, 2015 12:34 PM

Feb 2015
Also - economic factors.

The same "book" costs less in digital format. Significantly less. Actually printing a book costs very little. The lost revenue between actual-book and eBook is shocking to see.

People don't see strings of data as having much worth. They thus pay less, and the whole industry makes less money. A book is seen as having value as a physical item.

And it's not the same as music. Ownership and value in music in tied to the ability to hear it - which really isn't different if it's a CD/Tape/mp3. Going digital cuts out a physical item that's not seen as having value and not integral to the presentation/experience.

Not to mention the paying for songs you don't want on a physical album.

Books aren't sold in box sets with 1 Harry Potter amid a dozen cheap romance novels.
May 12, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
Only untill the day a solar or man made even makes all the little kindles go up in smoke.

In terms of record keeping short of via incompetent clerks, it will never go away however.

Paper has proven invaluable at this task.
May 12, 2015 12:39 PM

Apr 2013
I hope not.

Books >>>>>> e-books
May 12, 2015 12:40 PM

Jul 2014
I'm glad you changed the title from "extinct" lol

But no man that's never gonna happen. Books have been around since forever, and I don't think they are going anywhere.

May 12, 2015 12:47 PM

Aug 2014
Dojourei said:
I'm glad you changed the title from "extinct" lol

But no man that's never gonna happen. Books have been around since forever, and I don't think they are going anywhere.

lol yeah, I used poor choice of words XD
May 12, 2015 1:17 PM

Mar 2014
Not as long as I am still around
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 12, 2015 1:22 PM

Jun 2014
Nah, I don't think so; there are still many people who prefer buying physical copies of books, myself included; I own around 600 books right now. I haven't seen a decline in paperbacks/hardbacks, but more of a rise on how to purchase physical copies online, whilst book stores have a tendency to struggle.
May 12, 2015 1:22 PM

Oct 2012
I'm pretty sure they will once this generation dies off. Publishing physical books is a lot more expensive with all the manufacturing that comes with it. And most book sales are greatly exaggerated I mean do people really buy the whole "OMG IT WAS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER!" nonsense? The only reason books get that dumb "award" is because when compared to the other 4 crappy books that were released that week that one didn't suck as much. Digital is the way of the future and nothing will ever change that. And digital books can be preserved in any fucking hard drive. Even if the internet stopped working the books will still be in the hard drives.
May 12, 2015 1:40 PM

Dec 2014
Democracy said:
I'm pretty sure they will once this generation dies off. Publishing physical books is a lot more expensive with all the manufacturing that comes with it. And most book sales are greatly exaggerated I mean do people really buy the whole "OMG IT WAS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER!" nonsense? The only reason books get that dumb "award" is because when compared to the other 4 crappy books that were released that week that one didn't suck as much. Digital is the way of the future and nothing will ever change that. And digital books can be preserved in any fucking hard drive. Even if the internet stopped working the books will still be in the hard drives.

One well placed EMP just wiped out your theory.
May 12, 2015 1:43 PM

Oct 2012
Who the fuck is gonna randomly EMP the entire world? It's not like the only people with access to all the books ever made are in the US.
May 12, 2015 1:48 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Not as long as I am still around

if I see your font in another book, I swear I will eradicate you from every book and convert you to Times Romans

OT no because books feel better than looking at screen
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 12, 2015 1:54 PM

May 2015
...Fucking hope it doesn't
May 12, 2015 1:54 PM

Dec 2014
Democracy said:
Who the fuck is gonna randomly EMP the entire world? It's not like the only people with access to all the books ever made are in the US.

Future wars will be digital.

I have a hard time picturing future civilizations attempting to read our digital historical documents on their future formatted technology. Sure we can keep updating and transferring it but that would mean we'd need to stick around to do that.

May 12, 2015 1:57 PM

Oct 2010
books are already obsolete

nobody reads that shit, stop acting like you do
lots of music -
May 12, 2015 1:59 PM

Oct 2012
MidnightLPA said:
Democracy said:

I have a hard time picturing future civilizations attempting to read our digital historical documents on their future formatted technology. Sure we can keep updating and transferring it but that would mean we'd need to stick around to do that.

I have a hard time picturing future civilizations knowing where the few remaining libraries are. The only reason teens know what a library is these days is because they have one in their school and even then they barely touch it, or anything that they cant see in their phones and tablets. .-.

May 2015
incisorr said:
books are already obsolete

nobody reads that shit, stop acting like you do

We're sorry that you're illiterate.

Sep 2014
Moog- said:
I doubt it. There will always be an interest for physical books. It's obviously impossible to imagine what will happen down the line, but I'm pretty sure that physical books will stick around for many hundreds of years to come, in some form or another.

Agreed. I love reading books, it's a very different experience than watching a movie or even reading off a computer screen.
May 12, 2015 2:06 PM

Dec 2014
Has anyone seen the movie "Idiocracy"? That's what will happen when society relies on tech and the books are gone.
May 12, 2015 2:08 PM

Oct 2012
MidnightLPA said:
Has anyone seen the movie "Idiocracy"? That's what will happen when society relies on tech and the books are gone.

It's a comedy movie, there's a movie about a guys dick jumping out of his body because he was a man whore. That's just as likely to happen.
May 12, 2015 2:08 PM

Nov 2010
MidnightLPA said:
I thought that movie talked about the US.
May 12, 2015 2:09 PM

Mar 2013
unfortunately, yes.
May 12, 2015 2:16 PM

Dec 2014
Democracy said:
MidnightLPA said:

It's a comedy movie, there's a movie about a guys dick jumping out of his body because he was a man whore. That's just as likely to happen.

It's exaggerated but highly plausible. The dick guy however...I hope is not highly plausible.

Kinkara said:
I thought that movie talked about the US.

We'll be first.
May 12, 2015 2:16 PM

Oct 2012
No, I believe companies like google and amazon are 'backing' up digital texts to print form because its obviously a more stable storage medium so I'd say print media is not going anywhere.
May 12, 2015 2:18 PM

May 2014
No but trees will
I've been here way too long...
May 12, 2015 2:20 PM

Oct 2012
TheConquerer said:
No but trees will

They will if hipsters keep chopping them down for books they'll never touch after the first week.
May 12, 2015 2:22 PM

Dec 2014
Feaor said:
No, I believe companies like google and amazon are 'backing' up digital texts to print form because its obviously a more stable storage medium so I'd say print media is not going anywhere.

Exactly. There are entire facilities backing up history on hard copy paper all over the world.
Everyone here spends their lives using technology. How can you all not feel that technology is too unreliable to preserve our history?
May 12, 2015 2:23 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I sure hope not
May 12, 2015 2:24 PM

Oct 2012
MidnightLPA said:
Feaor said:

Exactly. There are entire facilities backing up history on hard copy paper all over the world.
Everyone here spends their lives using technology. How can you all not feel that technology is too unreliable to preserve our history?

How is ink and paper any more reliable though? if there's a flood or fire in the building they're gone too.
May 12, 2015 2:25 PM

May 2014
Democracy said:
TheConquerer said:
No but trees will

They will if hipsters keep chopping them down for books they'll never touch after the first week.

More like if Macdonalds stop grazing down huge huge areas of rainforest to use as grazing land and then fail to replant it.
Seriously thats the main reason the rainforest is disappearing not because of paper which is ridiculous.
May 12, 2015 2:39 PM

Sep 2014
TheConquerer said:
No but trees will

Yeah, I don't like oxygen either^^
May 12, 2015 2:41 PM

Dec 2014
If there's a gap in civilization after mass war, disease or famine (as there has been many times before), I just hope the first person climbing out of a hole can find a power supply, fire up that old Apple, connect it to WiFi that still works for whatever reason, and teach their new civilization lessons about how Books used to exist.
May 12, 2015 2:43 PM

Nov 2014
Nah, the only thing that would become obsolete are e-books. Seriously, I fucking hate sitting through long hours to read on a fucking screen. No paper smell, no paper scratching, no paper turning, no bookmarks.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 12, 2015 2:44 PM

May 2014
Grubelgrub said:
TheConquerer said:
No but trees will

Open Land= Cash
We destroy rainforests and we get land to farm all our cattle on.
Think about we can make money and once oxygen starts depleting we can charge that too! Its the perfect plan!
May 12, 2015 2:50 PM

Sep 2014
TheConquerer said:
Grubelgrub said:

Open Land= Cash
Think about we can make money and once oxygen starts depleting we can charge that too! Its the perfect plan!

I know, I actually study this at university level^^ But the most important thing about destroying rainforest is the destruction of the ecosystems there. It will take a lot more than that for us to actually get oxygen problems, due to the forest elsewhere (e.g. the boreal forest belt). Some countries actually have an increasing amount of forest :)

But still, I agree that the distruction of rainforest for cattle and soy production is devestating (can't stress that enough).
May 12, 2015 2:51 PM

Oct 2012
MidnightLPA said:
If there's a gap in civilization after mass war, disease or famine (as there has been many times before), I just hope the first person climbing out of a hole can find a power supply, fire up that old Apple, connect it to WiFi that still works for whatever reason, and teach their new civilization lessons about how Books used to exist.

If there's a World War 3 you better wish people take care of the servers instead of a reinforcing a library's walls. As if that will do any good when the bombs start dropping.
May 12, 2015 2:55 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Probably they will in the future. It make me glad that I, most likely, won't live to see a news headline reading "see the man with the last physical book on Earth".
May 12, 2015 2:58 PM

Oct 2012
Democracy said:
MidnightLPA said:

How is ink and paper any more reliable though? if there's a flood or fire in the building they're gone too.
You obviously still have that problem with Digital storage but you also have issues with failure and corruption along with general deterioration, its overall a less stable storage medium, even when talking about Magnetic Tape, but its obviously more space efficient.
May 12, 2015 2:58 PM

May 2014
Grubelgrub said:
TheConquerer said:

Open Land= Cash

I know, I actually study this at university level^^ But the most important thing about destroying rainforest is the destruction of the ecosystems there. It will take a lot more than that for us to actually get oxygen problems, due to the forest elsewhere (e.g. the boreal forest belt). Some countries actually have an increasing amount of forest :)

But still, I agree that the destruction of rainforest for cattle and soy production is devestating (can't stress that enough).

Yeah I know but I don't think we can fix the eco-system, we've ruined it so badly its just not what it was anymore. Then again I amn't some kind of authority on this so I cant say for certain. You trying to become an ecologist?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

21 by Absurdo_N »»
7 minutes ago

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - Apr 19

11 by deg »»
16 minutes ago

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - 4 hours ago

9 by cody »»
16 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

313 by Lightskynight »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 5 hours ago

11 by phantom346 »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.