Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2015 8:28 AM

Mar 2013
Greetings.

This idea is probably going to get shot down by many other forum regulars, but I'd still like to put it out there and see any possible reasonable points for or against it. It all focuses on what is displayed and what not in the posts made on the forums. In this thread, I suggest removing some additions to posts that I personally find unimportant. Yeah, this thread might be a bit different than most others, as the majority tends to recommend even more features over removing the current ones to keep the outcome as simplistic as possible.

Forums are supposed to be a place where discussions are held. I like to emphasize that over any extra glitter and such. Therefore, I'll keep it short.

× What I want to see stay/exist
Hyperlinked username
Forum avatar
Online status

× What I want to see removed
Forum signatures
Post count
I am aware that there is already the option to hide signatures individually and I am using it. But there is none for the Join date and Post count. Furthermore, this suggestion is supposed to be global, not individual.

Thank you for reading; please, do share your thoughts on the matter.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2015 8:33 AM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Why don't you hide join date and post count via Stylish/Adblock? Does it really matter that others see it?
May 12, 2015 8:36 AM

Mar 2013
How would you hide Join date and Post count via AdBlock? You are aware that AdBlock works in the way to cut off scripts that are identified in front, correct? I fail to see how the display of the two is any work of an open path script.

Stylish could do, but I prefer to keep them off for various reasons.
May 12, 2015 8:38 AM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
You're right, it's not possible for adblock. Anyway it's just 2 lines of text, not a big deal.
May 12, 2015 8:39 AM

Feb 2008
Akarin said:
Why don't you hide join date and post count via Stylish/Adblock? Does it really matter that others see it?

It does because post count can often lead to low-quality posts as some people are more interested in raising it than making interesting posts. It also leads to garbage threads like this: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1364111
May 12, 2015 8:41 AM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Veronin, even without post count there will be the same amount of garbage threads. Someone just wants attention, while post count is just a number.
May 12, 2015 10:29 AM
Mar 2014
Why do u want signatures removed?
May 12, 2015 10:46 AM
Mar 2014
It's already very minimal, but I definitely agree. It's kind of a mess right now, and the signatures aren't helping. They could at least disable images in them..?
May 12, 2015 11:46 AM

Jul 2012
^ I'm confused, what do you think it's so messy right now? o.o

Well, honestly I don't see a problem with how it is now but either way it's fine, I don't really pay attention to the number of posts and such but I can definitely see you point when you say people just post random stuff to raise their number...
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
May 12, 2015 11:46 AM

Nov 2011
vodall said:
It's already very minimal, but I definitely agree. It's kind of a mess right now, and the signatures aren't helping. They could at least disable images in them..?

I don't really find signatures that distracting myself, they can't be overly large. The forum design is already pretty clean.
May 12, 2015 11:47 AM

Aug 2014
Subpyro said:

Forum signatures
Post count
Please no
May 12, 2015 11:48 AM

Jul 2012
LunarProxy said:
vodall said:

I don't really find signatures that distracting myself, they can't be overly large. The forum design is already pretty clean.

they aren't that large, the max height is 150px, don't see them really making a mess out of the forum
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
May 12, 2015 12:02 PM

Dec 2012
Nvm, just ignore my previous post. If it's the option to hide those things then I support, removing them entirely is out of the question.
May 12, 2015 12:09 PM

Nov 2011
Roth said:
Nvm, just ignore my previous post. If it's the option to hide those things then I support, removing them entirely is out of the question.

I actually support that too. While I don't personally use it, it can speed up loading times and such for users, especially on mobile. I've seen it in use on a few other forums here and there.
May 12, 2015 12:35 PM

Sep 2011
Subpyro said:
Forum signatures
Post count

Over my dead body. I see more people getting angry if you remove signatures than that of people being happy with it. And I see no point hiding Join Date. Again, I use the join date + post count on the forums too much to determine whether an account can be an alt or not. All in all, no thank you.
TyrelMay 12, 2015 12:39 PM
May 12, 2015 12:37 PM
Mar 2013
forums would be a lot better without signatures though. Only image signature should go since they're pointless. Text signatures can advertise clubs.

And join date leads to discrimination and post count leads to spamming
May 12, 2015 12:40 PM

Dec 2012
I don't see there's any logical reason as to why you'd want Join Date and Post count removed.

Tyrel said:
Subpyro said:
Forum signatures
Post count

Over my dead body.
May 12, 2015 12:53 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
forums would be a lot better without signatures though. Only image signature should go since they're pointless. Text signatures can advertise clubs.

And join date leads to discrimination and post count leads to spamming

Personal tastes, with us being in agreement. But as said in the OP, I very well anticipated this suggestion not to be overly well accepted by the masses.

For everyone who has asked for reason(s), it says right in the OP: to reach minimalism. You may call it little, but little on little makes a lot. As little as possible makes minimalistic. Which brings me back to the point that this thread was created to express a suggestion based on a personal preference, as well as me foreseeing the type of replies exactly as they have gone down. In case anyone is wondering "what the hell is this guy thinking".
May 12, 2015 12:57 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
One problem fixed.

Thank you for carefully reading the OP:
Subpyro said:
I am aware that there is already the option to hide signatures individually and I am using it. But there is none for the Join date and Post count. Furthermore, this suggestion is supposed to be global, not individual.
May 12, 2015 12:58 PM

Jul 2012
Oops, my bad :S Only read main points.
May 12, 2015 1:01 PM

Mar 2013
No issue. :)

Then again, it makes me wonder why I have created this thread in the first place. I knew what the outcome was going to be and that there won't be anything drawn from it in the very end. I guess I just wanted to voice something, knowing that any type of suggestion, with the probability of being executed in the end high or not, is accepted and not against the board rules. So yeah, wasn't really looking for a revolutionary movement here, but I guess you could say that I was/am searching for like-minded people.
May 12, 2015 1:48 PM

Nov 2010
I don't think the forum needs to be minimalist, and as you said most would probably not like those changes(especially the two lines, it just seems pointless, and we have the hide signature feature which hides it for yourself, no need to do it for everyone just because you think it would look nicer). So I think you should just get a stylish theme made for you and the few others who would like this
May 12, 2015 2:03 PM

Mar 2013
You clearly missed the point of my previous post.
May 12, 2015 2:50 PM
Mar 2014
Subpyro said:
No issue. :)

Then again, it makes me wonder why I have created this thread in the first place. I knew what the outcome was going to be and that there won't be anything drawn from it in the very end. I guess I just wanted to voice something, knowing that any type of suggestion, with the probability of being executed in the end high or not, is accepted and not against the board rules. So yeah, wasn't really looking for a revolutionary movement here, but I guess you could say that I was/am searching for like-minded people.

I usually feel the same way when I post here, so don't let it get you down. It's about making your voice heard rather than immediately changing things.
May 12, 2015 3:00 PM

Mar 2013
vodall said:
I usually feel the same way when I post here, so don't let it get you down. It's about making your voice heard rather than immediately changing things.

Oh trust me, I don't feel down one bit. I've been active in this community for long enough to know exactly where to put pressure on to get some actual results. Likewise for seeing the general picture of potential and how things might change and how not. So no need to worry about me there. If I were to put up a suggestion that would aim for something concrete and real, it would have been with a different approach all together.

You could say that I'm bored of it as it all feels so... understood and in a sense, under control. That's why I create such threads on every so. Out of boredom, yet keeping to the guidelines and everything. Which is also the reason for my decrease in general activity on the website as I prefer new things and experiences, blah, blah, blah. You get the point and are probably not interested anyway.
SubbedMay 12, 2015 3:06 PM
May 12, 2015 3:08 PM

Nov 2010
Subpyro said:
You clearly missed the point of my previous post.
I didn't even read your previous post.
May 12, 2015 3:09 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
I didn't even read your previous post.

Yeah, I figured.
May 12, 2015 4:43 PM

Jun 2011
Veronin said:

It does because post count can often lead to low-quality posts as some people are more interested in raising it than making interesting posts. It also leads to garbage threads like this: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1364111

It's easy to ignore them and participate only where it matters for you...
May 12, 2015 4:57 PM

Mar 2010
Like Minded People? That's the point right? :v Well anyways to your point. Your not going to find anyone with this preference unless they really... REALLY want things Minimalized. But no. This is perhaps in the minority. Why Because things are simple as shit already with all the restrictions that are in place right now. People advocate for larger sigs etc. I know your trying to just Minimize things and not hint that Post count/join date are bad because of Insecurity and speculate reasons like Veronin. Just look at this babble:

Veronin said:

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 12, 2015 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
Tyrel said:
Subpyro said:
Forum signatures
Post count
I see more people getting angry if you remove signatures than that of people being happy with it.
Damn straight.
May 12, 2015 5:11 PM

Apr 2013
What does removing signature help to improve the forum? Anyway about the number of post being removed doesn't matter for me, everyone have the right to speak their mind here
May 12, 2015 6:23 PM

Jan 2013
remove avatars and formatting on the page too
hell even take away usernames

it's not minimalistic to keep those things if you're removing sigs, join date/post count

btw this is satire, your idea is retarded and I don't agree with it
May 12, 2015 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
I feel ignored. I think the main complaint is some users don't like signatures. I definitely think it's a minority, but the option to hide signatures under settings would work fine. I've seen it done before. If you don't like sigs, you can just hide them with that option, while not actually removing the signature feature from the (assumed) majority.
May 12, 2015 8:28 PM

Jan 2009
i agree with removing the joined date and post count in the forums, it will be very helpful and its a redundant feature anyway since the profile section have the post count and joined date infos anyway

but signatures should stay
May 12, 2015 9:44 PM

Mar 2013
LunarProxy said:
If you mean me, I honestly have zero opinion on post count. I see post count related threads, but I wouldn't call it so much as an issue a small annoyance. As for signature, which some people don't like, I'm all for keeping, but have no issues with user-side removal. Just not server-side.

No, I was referring to pretty much all replies except for Tyrel's and maybe one more who actually pose a reason. Not that I agree with him. If the Post count and Join date help the forum mods determine whether an account is an alt or not, they could feel free to have the feature up for themselves. I don't see why the community would be forced to have something for the sake of moderation convenience.

But yeah, not like the community is "forced" or something if the majority dislikes the suggestion in the first place, but it's pretty shitty to see all the replies without a backbone whose argument for disagreeing is just "because others don't like it either". Elaborating something is not the strongpoint, clearly.
May 12, 2015 10:23 PM

Jun 2014
/delete topic
:3
May 12, 2015 10:26 PM

Jun 2014
Agafin said:
Immahnoob said:
Quote chains piss off OP.

Well, it's kind of understandable since that makes most users here look like sheep. I've truly never understood why some people want to artificially increase their post count with such vapidness. Is there a reward to that? They might as well just create private clubs and spam them all day rather than polluting serious threads.

^My thoughts about post count. Needless to say that I'm totally for this.

I don't care about signatures, I guess if people here want them then let them be, I usually hide them when I don't want to be distratced or embarrassed by some of the stupid images people put there (especially the NSFW ones which the mods seem to not care about).

Tyrel said:
Again, I use the join date + post count on the forums too much to determine whether an account can be an alt or not. All in all, no thank you.

You can still check those informations on their profile, they'd just not appear on the forums like now and the advantage will be that less people will care about boosting their post counts since they've got less exposition.

I honestly think that the number of one or two liners as well as the "+1" replies and other forms of spam will reduce (except when relevant like in games ofc).
AgafinMay 12, 2015 10:30 PM
May 13, 2015 12:19 AM

Sep 2011
Agafin said:
Tyrel said:
Again, I use the join date + post count on the forums too much to determine whether an account can be an alt or not. All in all, no thank you.

You can still check those informations on their profile, they'd just not appear on the forums like now and the advantage will be that less people will care about boosting their post counts since they've got less exposition.
Of course I can. I'm just saying it makes it easier doing so than clicking on their profile 24/7. Plus I'll never know if they're a new user if the post count + join date is removed from the Forum. For all I know they could be a user with 1000+ posts despite not looking like it.
TyrelMay 13, 2015 12:26 AM
May 13, 2015 12:50 AM

Jul 2013
I agree that doing this wouldn't be a good idea. There's a limit to how minimalistic one should make something; some information is simply too important/useful to remove. Plus as Tyrel stated already, the backlash to this would be far too great for obvious reasons.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
May 13, 2015 5:35 AM

Oct 2010
Veronin said:
Akarin said:

"Some people" is not "a majority of users", and either way the most active section of this forum is Forum Games, where posts do not increase the post count.

Actually I would be into making it an individual choice. Some sort of script to hide join date or post count. As a global change, no. The problem is not that a change towards a more minimalistic layout is bad, if anything, it is that the current alternative is good and functional enough. So this strikes me as arbitrary and unneeded, if not necessarily detrimental, that would probably take some additional work to implement and some people would not like, either aesthetical or functionally.
jal90May 13, 2015 5:39 AM
May 13, 2015 10:23 AM

Mar 2013
Tyrantarmy6 said:
I agree that doing this wouldn't be a good idea. There's a limit to how minimalistic one should make something; some information is simply too important/useful to remove.

Care elaborating how the features listed in the OP are too important for removal? I do not believe they are; I believe further minimalism could easily be achieved for some users without a single drawback. Argument your point, that's what I want.
TyrelMay 13, 2015 2:57 PM
May 13, 2015 10:28 AM

May 2015
This reminds me of when i was young and cared about how others thought of me, thinking a higher post count would look cool :D I don't think it needs to be removed, if people enjoy the content they make even if it is stupid them let them be, we or you can simple ignore it.

Each time they take the photograph
I lose a part I can't get back
I don't wanna talk about it right now
Just hold me while I cry my eyes out
Even hearts made out of steel can break down
Never admit it but it hurts
I'm not Joan of Arc, not yet
I'm only human

May 13, 2015 10:56 AM
Feb 2013
We should just remove MAL from the internet
May 13, 2015 2:03 PM

Mar 2010
Huh there was a post in here that said I didn't tolerate change? Huh I was seriously going to just destroy that notion. Since I do (for some changes). And the notion everyone should tolerate every change is primitive thinking.. well deleting that reply shows how ridiculous it was..

Anyways...
Muto-Hikaru said:
This reminds me of when i was young and cared about how others thought of me, thinking a higher post count would look cool :D I don't think it needs to be removed, if people enjoy the content they make even if it is stupid them let them be, we or you can simple ignore it.
More speculation mate?
j0x said:
i agree with removing the joined date and post count in the forums, it will be very helpful and its a redundant feature anyway since the profile section have the post count and joined date infos anyway

Jox I know you mean well. But there are things on our profile that are also in our panel. So does it also make it redundant?
Subpyro said:

× What I want to see stay/exist
Hyperlinked username
Forum avatar
Online status

Forum signatures
Post count

Why don't you include the forum avatar to the Things to remove? Its inconsistent to minimization and also seems self defeating to not add those since the Forum avi takes up more room than post count and join date combined.

controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 13, 2015 2:07 PM

Jun 2009
Why not just removed the avatars and signatures in the forum settings?

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
May 13, 2015 2:09 PM

Nov 2010
Suzune-chan said:
Because he for some reason thinks that they are useless and having them gone would improve the experience for everyone.
May 13, 2015 2:15 PM

Mar 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Suzune-chan said:
Because he for some reason thinks that they are useless and having them gone would improve the experience for everyone.
What I thought It was minimization? If its to improve the forums then that's a bit farfetched.

It might solve their insecurities. So lets do it! Now we can have a more proper/improved discussions! Yay~

But my feels.
May 13, 2015 2:33 PM

Jan 2009
Rasco said:
j0x said:

Jox I know you mean well. But there are things on our profile that are also in our panel. So does it also make it redundant?

ye remove all redundant features on MAL as much as possible, the forum post and joined date is just the most obvious redundant feature on the forums so thats why i agree to remove them

and SubPyro is a staff member on AniList so maybe he wants that kind of forum minimalism, here is an example thread on AniList -
May 13, 2015 2:46 PM

Mar 2010
j0x said:
Rasco said:

ye remove all redundant features on MAL as much as possible, the forum post and joined date is just the most obvious redundant feature on the forums so thats why i agree to remove them

and SubPyro is a staff member on AniList so maybe he wants that kind of forum minimalism, here is an example thread on AniList -
Why didn't they specify this example from the start? Anyways yeah I can see their point of Minimization. But if its to improve the forum discussion you won't get far with that point. But Join date, post count and signatures are features on mal that users like and are not insecure about having. For example you like signatures so you know what I mean. Unless you really want to migrate to Anilist..

But my feels.
May 13, 2015 3:15 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
Rasco said:

It makes sense when you say it like that, but why would he want to make the competition imitate a site he works for? If there are people who care about this thing then that would be a pull factor he is taking away from the site.

rasco said:
btw not to play devil's advocate here, but yes. If it is on the panel and on the profile it is redundant. I sometimes question the panel's features. That is beside the point though.
Syrup-May 13, 2015 3:27 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
11 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Yesterday

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 9:39 PM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM

» Custom labels.

Autonomia - Apr 8

4 by Autonomia »»
Apr 14, 8:25 AM

» Total number of episodes (all seasons)

TechniqueGod - Apr 9

3 by hacker09 »»
Apr 13, 3:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.