Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 9, 2015 5:32 PM
Aug 2011
A lot of writers go for tragic endings, because feelings of sadness evoke much stronger emotions, leading to more "memorable" stories.

But wouldn't everyone agree that it's much more difficult to create a memorable story that ends with a good ending"?
May 9, 2015 5:36 PM

Jan 2013
Depends on the context of it.

There have been tons of situations in which tragic endings leave viewers with a negative impression like "what the f is this shit?!?!?!"

and then there are tragic endings with heavy impact, and evoking emotions

same applies for happy endings, but like you said, probably more difficult to create a satisfactory memorable one as opposed to tragic endings, especially since a large portion of the audience see happy endings as bad writing, regardless of whether how befitting it was.
May 9, 2015 5:37 PM

Feb 2013
*insert generic "it depends on the execution" comment here*

Oct 2011
A story can still be memorable with a good ending while still evoking strong emotions besides sadness.

For example: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Sep 2011
tragic endings are bullshit edgelord bait, ive never liked an anime with some bullshit tragedy end

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 9, 2015 5:39 PM

Jan 2010
I've heard the opposite more often, where a happy ending is a cheap way to please the audience, especially one that comes after a lot of dramatic stuff. That being said, I assume you're talking about shocking "oh, the misunderstood and tragic character died because we were all horrible people!" type of ending. In which case, it could go either ways. It's not so much the type of ending, rather it's more about the intentions behind them. Regardless of whether if it's a happy or sad ending, both are trying to make get the audience emotionally invested, so the next question is whether a given anime succeeds at that.
May 9, 2015 5:40 PM

Jul 2011
I like the endings where everyone dies and then *magic happens * everyone it's happy again.
Best ones.
May 9, 2015 5:40 PM

Nov 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
tragic endings are bullshit edgelord bait, ive never liked an anime with some bullshit tragedy end

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about them.
May 9, 2015 5:43 PM

May 2012
Depends on context.

And fuck happy endings. They're for escapist losers. HURR DURR.
May 9, 2015 5:53 PM

Jan 2015
gedata said:

Praland said:
I like the endings where everyone dies and then *magic happens * everyone it's happy again.
Best ones.
Hollywood ending
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 9, 2015 5:56 PM

Nov 2014
I rather have a rational ending, I don't care if it's happy, sad, tragic or whatevs as long as it correlates with the tone of the anime/manga.

Imagine EVA ending with all the angels defeated and Shinji marrying Asuka, having his father approval and whatnot. It would not fit at all with the overall tone of the anime. The same goes the other way imagine in NisekoI Raku ending with Marika and then she dies after giving birth a pair of twins while Chitoge and Onodera went through depression and started whoring themselves.
May 9, 2015 6:26 PM

Oct 2013
I hate tragic endings. :( I don't mind bitter sweet endings though.
May 9, 2015 8:41 PM

Aug 2009
PoeticJustice said:
Depends on context.

May 9, 2015 8:55 PM

Nov 2014
jzmagic said:
A lot of writers go for tragic endings, because feelings of sadness evoke much stronger emotions, leading to more "memorable" stories.

But wouldn't everyone agree that it's much more difficult to create a memorable story that ends with a good ending"?

I certainly agree. Killing a character off—especially if they're cute or likable—is one of the easiest ways to evoke emotion. I'm more impressed by shows that can stir up my feels without having to resort to a death scene.
May 9, 2015 9:23 PM

Nov 2014
PoeticJustice said:
Depends on context.

May 10, 2015 5:58 AM

Aug 2013
It depends really most shows with tragic endings are pretty edgy then you have shows like clannad which people claim is a giant tragedy when the whole ending is a giant reset ending l still like after story because of what it does with human relationships.
huh
May 10, 2015 6:43 AM

Feb 2013
jzmagic said:
if only..
there are not enough tragic endings imo
May 10, 2015 7:22 AM

Jun 2012
jzmagic said:

Good endings are probably harder to pull of yeah, but in some circumstances I would much prefer them over bull crap "tragic endings".

For instance, Aldnoah.Zero's first season ending was terrible compared to the second. The ending of the first season made me want to punch someone because the whole sequence of events didn't really make any sense, and the "tragic ending" did feel like a cop out. It also made the second season ave to start off on a pile of bull crap before it could go anywhere.

The second seasons ending was relatively good imo, and was a much better ending to the series and I thought it worked well with the story. I didn't enjoy either season in particular, but if I had to pick the better ending it would definitely be the non-tragic ending.
May 10, 2015 7:46 AM

Nov 2010
Some are, it's a lot easier to just kill everyone than to actually resolve the plot in a sufficient way. Prime example would be FMA, they didn't know how to end it and it was getting quite up there in episodes so they just ended it and fans loved it because it's so edgy and shit. While FMAB is the opposite, it had a well thought out plot and ending that even had some bittersweet moments yet was satisfying and surprisingly unique.
May 10, 2015 7:53 AM

Jan 2015
jzmagic said:
I agree
Hollywood endings > other endings
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 10, 2015 9:26 AM

Mar 2015
it is much harder.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2015 9:37 AM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
I hate tragic endings. :( I don't mind bitter sweet endings though.

the thing is some tragic endings feel bittersweet
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 10, 2015 8:51 PM

Jun 2014
gedata said:

But it's true. It depends on the execution. Happy endings and bad endings are both equally hard to pull off. If you have a happy everyone wins ending, people will call it generic and trying to pander to the audience. If you have a sad ending you get people who will say "omg 2edgy4me not. what a copout".

You can't please everyone. Especially not the elitist, and if you haven't noticed we are on MAL, home of the.

That's like if someone asked "do numbers always increase if you add them?"

And you say:
"*insert generic "it depends on the number's sign" comment here*"
May 10, 2015 9:00 PM

Sep 2011
SuperRed said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about them.
i wasnt serious, one of my favorites has an incredibly depressing end that would of weakened the entire series and message had it not ended the way it did.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 10, 2015 9:04 PM

May 2013
If the build-up is good and not only for the shock factor, then no.
The world shall know the truth soon.
May 10, 2015 10:25 PM

Oct 2014
Endings are not all there is to anime/manga if a writer has to resort to tragic endings to be more memorable I wouldn't trust that writers work to be worthy anymore. But it's not always possible to tell why a writer would decide a tragic ending.
May 10, 2015 10:40 PM

Apr 2015
Praland said:
Best ones.

May 10, 2015 10:41 PM

Oct 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Some are, it's a lot easier to just kill everyone than to actually resolve the plot in a sufficient way. Prime example would be FMA, they didn't know how to end it and it was getting quite up there in episodes so they just ended it and fans loved it because it's so edgy and shit. While FMAB is the opposite, it had a well thought out plot and ending that even had some bittersweet moments yet was satisfying and surprisingly unique.

Pretty much this,call it the Tomino effect if you will.
May 11, 2015 3:00 AM
Mar 2012
jzmagic said:

Well, the problem is normally that people are so jaded to the cop-out happy ending that writers my end up veering to far in the other direction to make a cop-out sad ending :/ Neither is inherently better than the other as both are generally considered to be not good endings.

As others have said, the ending should fit the tone of the series and the characters which we've been presented with. I mean it's hard to say much beyond that, typically a well-written ending is satisfying and a poorly-written one isn't regardless of if it's good or bad.
May 11, 2015 5:20 PM

Feb 2013
paraboxes said:
gedata said:

But it's true. It depends on the execution. Happy endings and bad endings are both equally hard to pull off. If you have a happy everyone wins ending, people will call it generic and trying to pander to the audience. If you have a sad ending you get people who will say "omg 2edgy4me not. what a copout".

You can't please everyone. Especially not the elitist, and if you haven't noticed we are on MAL, home of the.

That's like if someone asked "do numbers always increase if you add them?"

And you say:
"*insert generic "it depends on the number's sign" comment here*"

I'm not saying I disagree. In fact I approve of that opinion, it's just that I couldn't be bothered to write anything more then a simple answer that someone else would eventually write.
May 11, 2015 5:27 PM

Jun 2013
If the ending is sad for no reason, then yes, it is a cop-out.
May 11, 2015 5:32 PM
Sep 2011
I don't see tragic endings as a cop-out, but I definitely think they're harder to find satisfying.

Like when a work is so miserable that it's hard to feel anything because you know it's pointless to get invested in it.

Or when a work that had a good thing going suddenly decides that killing off its characters would be a good way to manipulate the emotions of the viewers.
May 11, 2015 5:43 PM

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Satisfying or not, you could hardly call FMA's ending edgey, and at the same time you can't call Brotherhood's ending unique when it played it extremely safe.

May 11, 2015 9:19 PM

Feb 2013
Shrabster said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Satisfying or not, you could hardly call FMA's ending edgey, and at the same time you can't call Brotherhood's ending unique when it played it extremely safe.

Yeah I don't get it either
gedataMay 11, 2015 9:26 PM
May 11, 2015 9:22 PM

Oct 2013
No, for me endings reafirm a show's tone and style, it's the "natural" development of the plot.

Why would Texhnolyze have a happy ending or k-on! a tragic one?
May 19, 2015 8:06 PM

Sep 2014
See Example: "Aldnoah.Zero"

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 10 minutes ago

2 by Rinrinka »»
21 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

100 by Teirayo »»
2 minutes ago

» Would your husbando wash your dirty feet?

Catalano - Yesterday

4 by Maou_heika »»
5 minutes ago

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

1 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

33 by EastIndiaCompany »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.