Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 10, 2015 7:52 PM

Aug 2012
Lancehot said:
This season, when watching Dungeon ni Deai whateverthefucka, I find myself thinking "why am I watching a kids show?" Then Hestia's tits appear on screen & I remember "oh yeah it's not for kids, it's for adults who never grew up" & I feel at ease.
May 11, 2015 7:59 AM

Nov 2013
Dead is too old
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
May 11, 2015 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
Wow. Now I feel old compared to some of you in here (minus the guy in that YouTube video).

To the OP, to answer your question, no, you're never too old to watch anime. Same can be said for watching cartoons, or even playing video games as another example. Anyone who says so is either looking to get under your skin for their entertainment, or they think they know better over what they don't like or understand. If you love it, keep loving it. Screw the rest.
May 11, 2015 12:03 PM

May 2013
Kruszer said:
Anime/manga has entire demographics for adults (seinen and jousei) so, no, you can't be too old for it.

Seinen and Josei aren't for adults, they're more akin to young adult fiction.
Seinen literally means "youth".
The vast majority of manga and anime are aimed at kids, teens or manchildren aka otaku. The few that are aimed at adults that are functioning members of society are the exceptions that prove the rule.
KokkoMay 11, 2015 12:09 PM
May 12, 2015 12:05 AM

Mar 2015
No one can't be too old fro anything. If I do say so myself.
My name is Terrence always is Terrence and will always be Terrence
Current Accounts: ThePinhead3333,
May 12, 2015 12:08 AM

Feb 2010
this is like the 90000TH THREAD
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 12, 2015 12:16 AM

Apr 2013
Hulohot said:
WingsOfValor said:
I am 20 years old and I only watch moe-moe dokidoki stuff, come at me! >.<

You monster.

lol

If you enjoy anime it doesn't matter how old you are imo.
I have no problem telling people that I like anime, I never met someone who'd judge me because of that. And if hey would do that, I shouldn't care for them anyway.
May 12, 2015 1:08 AM

Feb 2008
I'd still argue that it's pretty difficult to be interested in anime when you're 25+ years old. The vast majority of anime focuses on teenage characters and teenage drama, and by the time you're a working-ass adult that stuff is probably not going to hold much appeal for you any more. I'm only 22 and it's already getting difficult for me to connect with most of the stuff I watch. Occasionally there's something like Shirobako that makes me happy in my pants, but shows like that are rare. I mean, great on you if you're still watching anime every day while you're in your 30's, but almost every single person in this thread is going to move on long before they reach that age.
May 12, 2015 1:22 AM

Jun 2014
Veronin said:
I'd still argue that it's pretty difficult to be interested in anime when you're 25+ years old. The vast majority of anime focuses on teenage characters and teenage drama, and by the time you're a working-ass adult that stuff is probably not going to hold much appeal for you any more. I'm only 22 and it's already getting difficult for me to connect with most of the stuff I watch. Occasionally there's something like Shirobako that makes me happy in my pants, but shows like that are rare. I mean, great on you if you're still watching anime every day while you're in your 30's, but almost every single person in this thread is going to move on long before they reach that age.

I love how you assume.
May 12, 2015 1:30 AM

Jan 2015
People who tell me I'm too old to watch anime can go screw themselves. I'm not too old to watch anime, they are just too young to understand lol.
May 12, 2015 3:56 AM

Feb 2015
I'm 28 and I don't think I'll stop watching anime any time soon. :)
May 12, 2015 4:09 AM

Feb 2012
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Veronin said:

I love how you assume.

22 is still the age when people have expectations of greener pastures ahead, but eventually the reality will hit the shitfan that is 'disappointment' and they're forced to not care about anything anymore like normal adults.
May 12, 2015 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
You can't really be too old for anime. There are animes targeted toward most age groups. I think that being "too old" for anime was started by those who don't know the difference between that and a child's cartoon.
May 12, 2015 7:27 AM
Jun 2014
Veronin said:

I'm 33 years old and though I enjoy the josei genre I can still watch anime with teenage characters and teenage drama.
May 12, 2015 8:30 AM

Aug 2011
Aah, the social stigmata you get when mentioning anime. Makes no sense to me. I'm 27 and I still watch anime and actually enjoy it, fight me.
Seriously, age does not define the things you're "allowed" to like and enjoy. If it's not hurting anyone and brings you enjoyment, why is so looked down upon? It's not really different from watching TV, I think, and a lot of people watch TV. They're both forms of entertainment, aren't they?
死ねカス国に帰れ
May 12, 2015 8:58 AM

Aug 2013
You can certainly grow out of certain anime as you grow out of its demographic. But an entire medium? It'd either mean the entire medium was targeted at the young or the medium is uniformly terrible. That could happen but is that what most are aiming at?

This stuff naturally happens over time. The major problem i've often encountered is when people start being tryhards and associate this with a positive connotation by noting that what they left behind had a negative connotation. It's like they need evidence that are now mature and sophisticated individuals, except nobody really cares and the world keeps spinning.
May 12, 2015 9:19 AM

Feb 2014
Veronin said:
well you know what fuck you man im otaku til i die

May 13, 2015 5:12 PM

Aug 2011
I'm actually 22. I dont think anyone is too old for anime. Nor disney movies nor cartoons.
But i guessing you feel this way because assuming you are from America and i can only say from my own experience, there's a trope or stigma where cartoons or anything animated is FOR kids due to cartoons on televisions aimed/marketed to kids. which is i think is bull cuz guess who made it? adults and if adults who made it wasnt satisfied of the product then what is the point? We were all kids at some point.

if i say if you enjoy it and it doesn't harm anyone why the heck stop.
May 13, 2015 5:15 PM

Aug 2013
As of now, I don't think there's such a thing as too old to watch anime. I wonder how that view will change 5 years from now though xD
May 13, 2015 5:24 PM

May 2015
I'm 18 I like to watch anime tho.. Nobody cares, I just wanted too watch.. even if I turn older..
May 13, 2015 5:38 PM

May 2014
anime and all other entertainment mediums are pass times and distractions and they are mainly for "passing time" (go figure ...).
once u grow older and have more shit on your plat then u can balance, then u wont have time to even "think" about anime .... ofc. exceptions like neets and jaded people exist.
May 13, 2015 5:43 PM

Jan 2013
I feel age has nothing to do with entertainment.
If super heroes (batman, spiderman etc) are alright to watch when you're 40 y/o why shouldnt anime be fine?
Just because it's animated doesnt mean there should be an age limit pasted on it.
May 13, 2015 5:45 PM

Mar 2015
Do you think people older than +35 should stop?
My name is Terrence always is Terrence and will always be Terrence
Current Accounts: ThePinhead3333,
May 13, 2015 7:24 PM

Jan 2013
mecharobot said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

I love how you assume.

22 is still the age when people have expectations of greener pastures ahead, but eventually the reality will hit the shitfan that is 'disappointment' and they're forced to not care about anything anymore like normal adults.
and then they die a boring life, screw that noise.
May 13, 2015 7:34 PM

Apr 2015
You do you.
TheRefractingOne said:
No, liking MAL-approved shounen does not make you any less of a shounentard.
May 14, 2015 12:45 AM
May 2015
altough i am new at here and anime, i think very different. looking this suggestion reverse is more reasonable, i mean most animes is not eligible for teens or childs.

by the way i didn't touched by an romance movie as a romance anime, i don't know why but truth is like this.

Also science finction of anime is far beyond of movies when we can see this at matrix-ghost in the sheell, inception - paprika or avatar - from some anime that couldn't remmeber. And lost of mech designs etc...
May 14, 2015 2:03 PM
Aug 2013
Well it aint anime but my father is 60 years old and he still watches tom and jerry, looney tunes, scooby doo and such so no you can never be to told to watch cartoons or anime
May 14, 2015 2:30 PM

Aug 2014
Anime is just entertainment. Is just like watching a movie at home. Its just like watching a sporting event and buying items from your favorite sports team.

You know, the Flinstones, DC stuff, Marvel stuff, is something that you put the "viewer discretion is advised" label.

Watching the news 24/7 can get pretty boring.
May 14, 2015 2:33 PM
Jan 2015
Veronin said:
I'd still argue that it's pretty difficult to be interested in anime when you're 25+ years old. The vast majority of anime focuses on teenage characters and teenage drama, and by the time you're a working-ass adult that stuff is probably not going to hold much appeal for you any more.

This is really only true of 2005+ anime, the question is whether you have it in you to turn into a crotchety old anime fan who just watches old stuff for the most part. The irony is that this just exacerbates the trend though, because me buying Discotek releases and the occasional import BD of an old show I know won't get a U.S. release does nothing to support the modern industry (but idgaf if they don't makes shows I want to watch). I did laugh a little when someone said awhile back that old fans not supporting the current shows is "burying" them; well, maybe people who actually like these shows should buy the BDs if they care so much (crazy idea, right?). I will support stuff like Arslan and Knights of Sidonia, those are both solid shows.
WAD1992 said:
exceptions like neets and aded people exist.

That we do.
May 14, 2015 2:39 PM

Aug 2014
ThePinhead3333 said:
Do you think people older than +35 should stop?

You should only stop if it becomes an obsession regardless of age. Try watching a max of 7 seasonal animes per season.
May 14, 2015 2:40 PM

Aug 2014
My favorite genre is romantic drama.

But also, the characters have to be 17+. If they are 16 and under, I usually wont give the anime a second.
May 14, 2015 6:49 PM

Feb 2012
never to old!

nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan Forever!
May 17, 2015 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
mecharobot said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

I love how you assume.

More reason to dive into a show (world even) and get lost in it right?
May 17, 2015 4:10 PM

Apr 2014

Age doesn't matter. Maturity does. If it's take over your life that you're at my age and you put anime over other things then you have a problem and should stop watching. It's about being responsible. You can balance anime with everything else in life.

People can talk about the working, having a family, being social, etc. It's all really irrelevant if you simply know how to maintain and balance your interests and priorities in life.
Nop.
May 17, 2015 6:17 PM

Nov 2013
You're too old if you're past 12, but no one gives a fuck what you do anyway so...
May 17, 2015 6:58 PM

May 2012
AudioDruid said:
You can't really be too old for anime. There are animes targeted toward most age groups. I think that being "too old" for anime was started by those who don't know the difference between that and a child's cartoon.

At 65, the only anime I know of that is even vaguely targeted at people my age is Bartender. Even if we set the age line at 40, I doubt I could find five shows released in the past decade with stories that focus on people that age or older.
May 17, 2015 7:05 PM
Nov 2013
I'm 21 turning 22 in 2 months and i'll keep on watching anime till i die can tell you that much OP. It is silly to think you can be to old to watch anime imo it's a meduim that can put some quite mature and intelligent topics down on the table.
May 17, 2015 9:33 PM

Apr 2014
Not at all.

I know men & women that are 50+ and play video games. I also have two pals in their mid thirties who are married, with children and long / tiring jobs who continue to watch anime, new and / or old, their partners are perfectly fine with that.

I'm 23 myself and not even remotely ashamed that I watch this shit still, it's entertaining and I enjoy it, I imagine I'll enjoy it for quite a while. I've got a good few pals who know I watch it and couldn't care less.
Tonight, Synklare joins the hunt.
May 18, 2015 5:42 AM

Dec 2013
wu_wei said:
What do you think about the stigma of immaturity attached to saying "I watch anime"?

I personally don't care what people say or think. Everyone who knows me already knows that I watch Anime and love Japan.

I'm also starting to Cosplay for events..... I don't really care what other people think, why should I give a shit what their opinion is? You might get judged a little but who cares.
Feel free to message me to chat.
May 18, 2015 7:34 AM

Jan 2013
Lancehot said:
Major123 said:
and then they die a boring life, screw that noise.

Sitting in front of the TV watching cartoons is quite the thrilling experience.
Anything beats being a normal adult with a boring 9-5 job.
May 18, 2015 7:37 AM
May 2009
Never.

You will enjoy what you enjoy. Don't care what others think, they can leave the room if they don't find it interesting.

Just like films about hawking's can be popular and win oscars, I can also find to be dull and boring.
May 18, 2015 7:40 AM

May 2015
There's nothing immature about anime in a general sense in my opinion, so therefore I don't think there should be a cut-off age for watching anime. Even the thought of it is stupid. And I don't really care about stigmas. If people want to judge me based on a stereotype then I figure them to be one-dimensional idiots anyway, so I'm not overly concerned about those things.

May 18, 2015 8:47 AM
May 2009
People will never tire of what they enjoy.
Its as simple as that.
May 18, 2015 8:59 AM

Nov 2010
mecharobot said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

I love how you assume.

Where did this mentality that people give up their likes when they hit adult age come from? If their apathy is so deep that they care for nothing, they need help. Normal adults care very much about many things, including things they're fans of. (Example: The entire sports industry.)

People search for entertainment in many different avenues and yes, adults are right there purchasing, discussing, and watching things. Including anime.
May 18, 2015 6:20 PM

May 2012
SeijiSensei said:
At 65, the only anime I know of that is even vaguely targeted at people my age is Bartender.

I forgot Showa Monogatari.

I can see you all wondering, "what the hell show is that?," which is kind of the point.
May 18, 2015 6:49 PM
May 2015
waybinkunduz said:

Also science finction of anime is far beyond of movies when we can see this at matrix-ghost in the sheell, inception - paprika or avatar - from some anime that couldn't remmeber. And lost of mech designs etc...

Alien,Terminator,Primer,Blade Runner,Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,Solaris,12 Monkeys,Brazil,District 9,Gattaca,Iron Giant,Minority Report,Truman Show,Dark City
..just on top of my head.So,nope, Scifi anime are not far beyond of movies,infact they are not even close in depth and diversity.
May 19, 2015 2:54 AM

Sep 2014
I openly criticize strangers and new people in my life for not watching superior Japanese animation. Some call me an asshole, but I prefer to think of my actions as determining whether or not the people I'm speaking to are inferior, unintellectual sheep who can't think for themselves. To think that all those filthy peasants would prefer inferior western cartoons like Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents disgusts me.

A superior human specimen such as myself feels no need to bend to the wills of simpletons.
May 19, 2015 3:30 AM

Oct 2010
Veronin said:

Damn, I have two months of anime left.

Anyway, I frequent an anime forum where 25+, 30 or even 40-year-olds are very common. They are working-ass adults, but they are interested on keeping their niches of entertainment, and maturity has allowed them to be more confident about their tastes. And I would say that it's the same for every media; from music to film to sports. Many of these people I mention are comic book fans, gamers and very active in social networks. All of them activities that are associated with the nerdy stereotype people stop caring about once they realize that nobody gives a damn about what they enjoy.
May 19, 2015 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
notsomacho said:
I openly criticize strangers and new people in my life for not watching superior Japanese animation. Some call me an asshole, but I prefer to think of my actions as determining whether or not the people I'm speaking to are inferior, unintellectual sheep who can't think for themselves. To think that all those filthy peasants would prefer inferior western cartoons like Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents disgusts me.

A superior human specimen such as myself feels no need to bend to the wills of simpletons.

But SpongeBob is gud.

I usually avoid fans of stuff like Naruto, as while I have nothing against that anime, the fanbase has a bad reputation.
May 19, 2015 8:34 AM

Jan 2010
wu_wei said:
I recently had a discussion with a friend of mine, in which I did not reveal that I watch anime (I've seen around 200 shows before registering) because I cringe when I think about weebo culture. In fact, only my wife and my two closest friends know.

I sound old right now, but I'm only 22. Do you think you can be too old to watch and enjoy anime, even if it's a shounen? I certainly don't think so. As long as anime is able to satisfy my cravings no other media quite touches (no, I never watch moe-moe dokidoki stuff), I'm on board for life.

What do you think about the stigma of immaturity attached to saying "I watch anime"?

Do you live in America? I do and the stigma I see here is that animation is associated with cartoons. Japanese anime to me is very different from American cartoons. Cartoons are for children in America society (at least that is the prevailing thought.) so if you are 18+ and enjoy anime many who are blind to the truth will think you are immature. I have two children and there are plenty of anime I watch they are not age appropriate. The difference is mainly cultural IMO. Do what you like
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

147 by BlueBullet178 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 7 hours ago

18 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 1 hour ago

4 by Ten »»
15 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9047 by Yozarou »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.