Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 8, 2015 9:40 AM

Dec 2012
Link to poll choices and how to vote here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1381399#msg39958413

Warning!
Spoilers ahead. Proceed at own risk.

Current Manga: Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Time for discussion: Friday, May 8st - Friday, May 22nd
Amount of chapters: 4 volumes (30 chapters)

This is a discussion thread. Spoiler tags are not required. So, with that being said I recommend having read the required material before surveying the thread.

Discussion, persausive arguments, and all forms of shenanigans is allowed.
All name calling, trolling, spoilers about future chapters, and abuse to other members is strictly prohibited and will result in one warning then a ban from the club.
SpeakssMay 24, 2015 11:38 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 9, 2015 11:15 AM

Dec 2012
If the current amount of volumes for this weeks reading is slightly too much please inform me and I will adjust accordingly
May 10, 2015 10:47 PM

Dec 2012
after 1 volume (7 chapters)

Art: A solid 7/10 art. The artists lines, shadowing, and overall portrayal of the mood of the manga is good. If it gets any better in later chapters this will definitely be a manga worth reading solily for it's art.

Story: Having watched the OVA before hand I knew Alpha was a robot. Knowing this made it not throw me for as much of a loop as it did when I first watched the OVAs. It's very calming and happy, reminds me a lot of Aria. I find the best time to read Yokohama is in the morning with a hot coffee. Definitely sets my mood for the whole day.
May 13, 2015 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
After volume 1 (7 chapters)

Well its what I expected after what I watched from the OVA. A nice calming collection of tales involving Alpha. More building up the community and those around her at the moment. The art at points is quite catching, especially during the dance sequence. I have to say I'm excited to see how Alpha grows as a character with more and more interactions and also to find out about the world and the machines. Good enough start but that's all it is right now I feel, a start. Themes or the real journey hasn't shown up enough yet to be solidified in the least bit but again I look forward to the later chapters.
May 13, 2015 9:27 PM

Dec 2012
Schizoidmouse said:
After volume 1 (7 chapters)

Well its what I expected after what I watched from the OVA. A nice calming collection of tales involving Alpha. More building up the community and those around her at the moment. The art at points is quite catching, especially during the dance sequence. I have to say I'm excited to see how Alpha grows as a character with more and more interactions and also to find out about the world and the machines. Good enough start but that's all it is right now I feel, a start. Themes or the real journey hasn't shown up enough yet to be solidified in the least bit but again I look forward to the later chapters.

I read a bit of a spoiler for later chapters. It apparently gets really intense. Makes me wanna read the whole manga in one sitting just to see what happens to Alpha and how she grows
May 15, 2015 5:12 PM

Aug 2009
I have an anime first rule, so I made myself sit down and watch the first OVA before starting the manga and...geez are those two episodes completely different in tone. The OVAs were very quiet, and, I don't want to say desolate because it wasn't that...overt, but kind of desolate, it was mostly just Alpha with a few side characters showing up once in awhile. There are no townspeople gathering around for New Years or for meetings, maybe it's because animating crowd scenes is hard, but the manga reminds me more of Sora no Woto minus the war background. Mostly slice of life after the apocalypse has already happened. The OVAs tried to play it like, I don't know, Tsumiki no Ie maybe?

Also, Takahiro's part got severely diminished, and I don't know if it was the subs I was reading, but in the hospital scene, the subs had the old man say "But I'll bring Takahiro when I come pick you up" and I was like, excuse me, presumptive much? But in the manga, it was, "But I can bring Takahiro once you're better, right?" and Alpha agreed, which completely changes the scene. (If it was a problem with the subs, that subber needs to quit)

Also, the lights. The lights were visually stunning, but like, we get blackouts even when there's just basic flooding. How did people of the future manage to get electricity to keep working even after everything's been that submerged?

But okay, back to the manga. Like I said before, thus far, it reminds me of Sora no Woto, only minus the military backdrop and added robots/human drama. The apocalypse is woven in subtly, the characters are...somewhat realistic? One of those 6 or 6.5/10 on the cliche scale, which is a good place to be. All in all though, I've spent all week trying to get through it and I'm still only on chapter 19.

I've recently been complaining about series that are "so good they're bad." That's what I'm getting from Yokohama thus far. The setting is just a little too artsy (in the commercial versus art dichotomy), everything is just a little bit too...something, so even though objectively, I find it pretty good, I just don't like it/can't read very much of it at any given time.
May 16, 2015 6:39 PM

Dec 2012
With several PMing me about Yokohama being a manga not too exciting to read. After this week is over we will, of course, starting a new manga.

However, if enough vote, we will drop yokohaman from our weekly manga reads (this does not imply you can't just read it on your own).

Or, another alternative we could do is simply make Yokohama a 1 week section, with only 1-2 volume reads. Please leave feedback
May 16, 2015 7:11 PM

Aug 2009
It might make the threads a little cluttered, but if you put 1 volume of YKK alongside whatever manga is the weekly manga, that way, people who want to talk about YKK can still do that in spoiler tags, while people who dislike YKK/want to move on to something new to discuss will be free to do that. Reading an extra volume of YKK on top of the weekly manga is really not a big time commitment, so there'd be no substitution effect, so to speak, from those of us who'd continue YKK.

Alternatively, if you raise this week's chapter count to like, 50 or something, and if it doesn't pick up by that point, basically everybody's going to be ready to drop it. 甘心 Because otherwise, maybe we'd be missing out on something really exciting to discuss. I'm curious where the faintly supernatural threads lead, if they go anywhere.
May 20, 2015 11:31 AM

Dec 2012
Any of opinions on what we could do?

I'm for selineas idea of multi-threading our manga discussions. Just making sure to split/space each discussion when you post
May 20, 2015 11:32 AM

Dec 2012
Volume 3 synopsis

Nothing really to talk about. Everything is cozy. I feel like this will build to be a really good story but at the moment it's definitely in it's starting phase. The art and peaceful slice of life style is nice and enjoyable to read.
May 21, 2015 5:29 PM

Aug 2009
Well, I just finished chapter 44, so I'll try my best to be vague about everything rather than trying to remember what happened when. No, that's a lie. I wound up double checking a lot of things

It's a little frustrating that there are all these really unsettling hints, but then the next chapter will switch back to a straight up slice of life. I made myself get used to it in Sora no Woto, where one moment, they'll just be on a shopping trip, and the next moment, bam, casual line drop that dolphins are now extinct. But I'm really not up for taking this kind of thing from Yokohama, where the transitions are even rougher and there's no music to round off the scene changes.

There's definitely something to Yokohama, from the "water god" in chapter 21 looking human and having brain waves to the Misago boat in chapter 28 sharing the same name as the other Misago creature, it's unsettling, and you want to know what the heck is going on in this world besides the apocalyptic water rising. The robots too, it's not a hand-waved, "and then people built really humanistic robots because *the future* hurdur". There's a story to their design, but it repeatedly gets buried by showing Alpha making coffee for the nth time.

I'm sure there's an audience for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, for people who want Mushishi to be more slice of life/unsettling or for people who want Sora no Woto minus the "cute girls in the army" schtick. But that audience is not me because the way it's paced, the way it presents information, and because I'm just not huge on the slice of life genre. I'll keep up with it because it's not bad enough to drop, and like I said earlier, a few chapters a week is a drop in the bucket, time wise, but ugh, I'll be glad to be starting something new.
May 21, 2015 5:52 PM

Dec 2012
If anyone is still interested in manga of the week you can cast a vote for what we will be reading next. Voting will end on Sunday and the new week will be starting on Monday.

We will be using the same voting system as before.

List of manga:

Food
Shokugeki no Souma

Short Stories
Hotel

Action/Adventure
Hoshi no Samidare
Kiss Wood (Also Drama)
Pandora Hearts
Are You Alice
Vagabond (Also Historical)
Sanctuary (Also Drama and Thriller)
Kozure Ookami (Also Historical)

Fantasy
Ciel

Cyberpunk
Gunnm

Comedy
GTO

Drama
Blue
Saraiya Goyou (Also Historical)
My Girl
MW (Also Psychological)

Psychological
20th Century Boys
Freesia
Arigatou (Violence and Ecchi)

Romance
Love Roma
Ai-Ren
Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku
Koi Kaze
19, 21
Usotuski Mii-kun to Kowareta Maa-chan (Also Mystery and Psychological)

Mystery
Homunculus (Also Horror and Psychological)
Annarasumanara (Also Romance and Psychological)
SpeakssMay 21, 2015 8:47 PM
May 21, 2015 6:26 PM

Dec 2012
3 - Hoshi no Samidare
2 - Vagabond
1- 19,21
May 21, 2015 6:54 PM

Aug 2009
3 - Kiss Wood
2 - 19, 21
1 - Love Roma
May 21, 2015 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
3 - Hoshi no Samidare
2 - Hoshi no Samidare
1 - Koi....NO WAIT ITS Hoshi no Samidare XD

jk my actual votes
3 - Hoshi no Samidare
2 - My Girl
1 - Vagabond
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】Discord Invitation Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hibbington - Aug 7, 2016

1280 by Hibbington »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Sticky: » ❤~Staff Thread~❤ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikochondria - Sep 19, 2014

1164 by RisaK »»
Apr 15, 1:31 PM

» [CLOSED] Winter 2024 AOTS Card Edition: BokuYaba Season 2

coziitsu - Apr 9

28 by coziitsu »»
Apr 14, 6:15 AM

Sticky: » Spring 2024 Power Ranking Committee Sign-ups

Hibbington - Mar 13

40 by HaXXspetten »»
Apr 13, 11:16 AM

Sticky: » [Toriyama Class] Power Ranking Committee Winter 2024: Part 4/4 FINALE

KANLen09 - Apr 9

1 by KANLen09 »»
Apr 9, 9:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.