Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 5, 2015 6:00 AM

Jan 2015
The media, specifically mass media, is one of the main source of information in this age. Mass media is the one responsible of giving news and entertainment. Because of its power, it is believed that it manipulates information to favor a certain party. Do you believe this? Do you believe that the media is doing its primary job or it's putting puppet strings to our minds?
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 5, 2015 6:01 AM

Mar 2014
Consuming the consumers desire to consume in order to consume our desires, is what the media is doing.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
May 5, 2015 6:07 AM

Mar 2012
It's feeding us with bs mostly, we can't even know how is it going in other parts of the world, many incidents happened over the past years.

We only get shit that attracts people, they already put spotlights at what they'll feed us with the next couple of years.

My answer is deforming the info, sending it back at us the way that peeks our interests.

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
May 5, 2015 6:09 AM

Mar 2014
My answer was absolute!

I don't pay attention to the media, to be honest, so I have no idea.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
May 5, 2015 6:11 AM

Aug 2014
Kind of both. It depends on which station. None are unbiased towards any view. They are all trying to spin the news which ever way promotes their ideas best. Sometimes unintentionally, like when they have people talking and one of them is strongly displaying their point of view on the matter.
Also, I'm surprised Remv came out with a more serious post without spelling errors.
May 5, 2015 6:36 AM

Jan 2015
berserker15 said:
Kind of both. It depends on which station. None are unbiased towards any view. They are all trying to spin the news which ever way promotes their ideas best. Sometimes unintentionally, like when they have people talking and one of them is strongly displaying their point of view on the matter.

This.

Sometimes you don't even need to follow a station to know what they're going to say.
May 5, 2015 6:46 AM

Jan 2015
13lue said:
It's feeding us with bs mostly, we can't even know how is it going in other parts of the world, many incidents happened over the past years.
I also observe that local media and international media (like the Communist News Network CNN) have different angles of interpreting the situation of a certain event
I dunno where to believe
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 5, 2015 6:51 AM

Jan 2015
yes i believe this. but sometimes i think they cant help it given the information they are given by their sources.
May 5, 2015 6:53 AM
Oct 2014
Media will always have its version of things. And they do have a lot of power, which frightens me.

If you believe everything you read is true, then it's better not to read at all.

May 5, 2015 6:56 AM

Nov 2014
I think the media—the left and right wing— is informing and controlling. It's hard to be purely informative when you have issues that you're passionate about on top of having to worry about profits. Here's a pretty good book by Ryan Holiday that details some aspects of media manipulation: Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator
May 5, 2015 7:48 AM

Oct 2013
News used to be much more informative. However, I find that the news today is much more biased and opinionated before. It focuses more on what will attract attention, rather than the real issues, and true facts. Yes, they may be giving us the facts, but they are not giving us the whole story. For example, the Ferguson riots and riots across America is not getting the coverage it should be receiving. The media has mostly only focused on the riots; however, they lacked in mentioning the protesters who were doing it by peaceful means. Many people get the wrong idea about the world because they cannot discern the true facts from the media, and form an intelligent conclusion.
May 5, 2015 8:02 AM

Jan 2014
I'm not going to believe there's some big conspiracy out there, I think there's a much simpler answer. Making money.

Also I think it kinda turns into a big circle jerk so people feel right all the time and protect their egos. Instead of just 1 news station giving us facts you have multiple outlets that people with different political views follow. So for the US it would be Fox news and conservatives. You watch the station that has opinions you agree with and get a raging ego boner because even the news agrees with you or at the very least it reaffirms your beliefs.
May 5, 2015 8:15 AM
Sep 2014
Both, and a bit more controlling imo.
It's like they give facts warped with a lot of other shit
May 5, 2015 8:21 AM

Jan 2015
I think there just giving us whate we like to see more thane the stuff thate is realy important ty give content thate the vieuwer wants to see a lot more thane stuf thate is inmportant but not interessting for us (i'm not saying there not saying important stuff but thy adjust to the vieuwer u cane see te evelotion if u see the media in a period of 20 years).
May 5, 2015 9:48 AM

May 2011
Imagine you're an editor-in-chief, who manages a big news bulletin. The channel broadcasting this is held by three main shareholders among which a famous pharmaceutical company, one major weapon manufacturer and a financier at the head of a hedge fund and a couple of banks. Now tell me:

- Are you gonna be able to talk about operations in African continent, at the roots of biological weapons testings ?
- Are you gonna be able to talk about the generalized poverty due to plundering of resources for the benefits of shady corporations ?
- Are you gonna be able to confide about economical insights, potentially menacing shareholders interests across the globe ?

Now keep in mind that in America, for instance, 90% of information is controlled by 6 corporations.

I don't think you can have selfless source of information, when it serves mostly interests of a handful influent characters. It tends to offer a totalitarian, unidimensionnal view on world's reality, in consequence.
sorceryMay 5, 2015 9:57 AM
May 5, 2015 10:20 AM

Mar 2014
berserker15 said:
Also, I'm surprised Remv came out with a more serious post without spelling errors.
+1
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 5, 2015 10:21 AM

Feb 2015
berserker15 said:

pretty much agree with this
May 8, 2015 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
Suddenly I have several System of a Down songs stuck in my head.

But it all depends where you're getting it from. There are definitely extremely bias sources out there. Also sources that will twist information for their own views or gains. But there are also decent sources. Just have to not be ignorant and blindly believe anything the news says and you'll be alright.
Jul 10, 2021 7:12 PM
Dec 2017
very controlling and very seflish and toxic af.

Nov 20, 2021 1:38 AM

Sep 2017
Controlling indeed, because it is bought by people who want to further their interests.

Aka capitalists.

Carlin's quick take on media being dishonest (followed by religion), if you're curious.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Why do all black people talk as though they're in a gang?

Bambi - Jun 23, 2016

11 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Feb 17, 2023 9:36 PM

» Nudes

Voki - May 31, 2015

41 by Voki »»
Dec 8, 2022 7:57 PM

» For shitters only

Probs_A_Hooman - Aug 10, 2022

0 by Probs_A_Hooman »»
Aug 10, 2022 11:31 PM

» Thoughts on the school system?

Kekophonic - Apr 20, 2017

9 by SaneHumanBeing »»
Feb 27, 2022 6:16 AM

» armpix

philtecturophy - Mar 28, 2021

1 by Moonspeak »»
Nov 20, 2021 1:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.