Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
May 2, 2015 10:57 PM

A curse in which majority anime Madhouse will produce is bound for commercial oblivion/being a flop via disc sales?

(Like winning an Oscar but your career is now doomed.)

Thoughts?

Edit: change " every" to " majority"
Modified by peeyaj, May 2, 2015 11:44 PM
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

May 2, 2015 10:58 PM

didn't they made No Game No Life? I don't think it was a flop, considering how popular it is.

May 2, 2015 10:59 PM

Maybe all the people who left Madhouse for MAPPA set it up.

if you ignore that shows like NGNL, mahouka or death note exist, sure.

Some Madhouse anime does well in Japan like no game no life.
added the fifth most popular anime onto this site

May 2, 2015 11:00 PM

Not really. NGNL did pretty well in sales.

Fix your sig, learn 2 BBCode. They even tell you how to do so next to "Post Message" and "Cancel".

DreamingBeats said:
didn't they made No Game No Life? I don't think it was a flop, considering how popular it is.

It just sold 9k or so, in which if you will compare it to other studios, not that much.

Even Shirobako and Yowapedia had a higher disc sales.
Modified by peeyaj, May 2, 2015 11:08 PM
F0XFIRE said:

Madhouse isn't winning any awards, are you trying to say their shows have critical acclaim?

It's more of a late night Anime curse. The sales will never be consistently good.
the progeny of a dropped colony

May 2, 2015 11:02 PM
Madhouse went bankrupt like i told you on your old thread, here source http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=284403

their anime works do not sell much, not enough moe and ecchi i guess

May 2, 2015 11:10 PM

All y'all pointing out some of Madhouse's rare successful anime while completely ignoring the fact that those are in the undisputed minority compared to the tremendous amount of their anime that have flopped. At least point out anime besides obvious ones like No Game No Life.

May 2, 2015 11:14 PM

Off topic your avatar looks so derpy. On topic. As what other have said. They've done well with anime like death note, no Game no life, mahouka ect. Again, you fail to do any research on your part. Assuming is always a bad thing.

So no they're not curse.

May 2, 2015 11:14 PM

Protaku94 said:
All y'all pointing out some of Madhouse's rare successful anime while completely ignoring the fact that those are in the undisputed minority compared to the tremendous amount of their anime that have flopped. At least point out anime besides obvious ones like No Game No Life.

why should we? the claim was that all anime produced by MadHouse "is bound for commercial oblivion/being a flop", in which case i pointed out that No Game No Life was not a flop as a counterexample to his claim.

May 2, 2015 11:17 PM

Protaku94 said:

It is true that absolutely nobody remembers Mahou Sensou.

May 2, 2015 11:17 PM
j0x said:
Madhouse went bankrupt like i told you on your old thread, here source http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=284403

their anime works do not sell much, not enough moe and ecchi i guess

to add to this i will repost this again, a list of anime studios best sellers - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=781179

May 2, 2015 11:25 PM

keragamming said:
Off topic your avatar looks so derpy. On topic. As what other have said. They've done well with anime like death note, no Game no life, mahouka ect. Again, you fail to do any research on your part. Assuming is always a bad thing.

So no they're not curse.

God knows, I love Madhouse to death as a quite a few of my favorite animes are made by them. When I said it is a "curse", it is more like an idiomatic expression on my part.

If you visit this link: http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view , you will see the ff:

* Madhouse 3 best selling title are Death Note (15k average), Mahouka (11k average) and Chobits (10k), which is good. But if you see the other Madhouse entries in which sales hover from 5k below and non-existent, you can see my point. These numbers are pathetic if you compared those sales from Sunrise, Shaft , ufotable and Wit Studio, whose some of their disc sales hover from 20k up to 60k.

Even 8bit (33k+) and Deen(26k+) had a higher sales than them!! A shame, really,
F0XFIRE said:

May 2, 2015 11:30 PM

Nope No game No Life Death Note Mahouka Nana and CardCaptor Sakura did very well.

May 2, 2015 11:37 PM

Blaming on the "curse" for a studio's failure? Just because you like an anime doesn't mean that others have to like it as well.

Also, business really depends on how you do your advertisement. Even a shit show can sell more than a great show if it was well advertised.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

May 2, 2015 11:43 PM

ToG25thBaam said:
Blaming on the "curse" for a studio's failure? Just because you like an anime doesn't mean that others have to like it as well.

It is just an idiomatic expression. I read today the "Oscar curse", which says that some of the best actor/actress winners have their career sidetracked because of winning an Oscar. I just compared th Oscar "curse" to the Madhouse one. It is just an observation though.

And this post of a blogger comes to mind:

Madhouse, thank heaven for you - saving anime one commercial flop at a time.

As Death Parade now sails off to commercial oblivion, it's a good moment to reflect again on just what a miracle it is that series like this ever get produced in the current anime climate. If the price for one Death Parade is Mahouka or Mahou Sensou - hell, ten Mahoukas - I'll pay it. If that cost is what it takes for Madhouse to keep producing subtle and powerful series that have a larger purpose than simply making money, I'll gladly pay it - there is no reward without pain, after all, and fans of quality anime know that all too well.

lostinanime.com
F0XFIRE said:

May 2, 2015 11:59 PM

ToG25thBaam said:

Also, business really depends on how you do your advertisement. Even a shit show can sell more than a great show if it was well advertised.

Like SAO for example.

May 3, 2015 12:06 AM

Madhouse's past and possibly continuing financial woes aside, anime bring revenue in through more ways than just disc sales: anime produced primarily as a gaudy advertisement for the source material is the obvious and common example here, and I think it would apply to a lot of Madhouse works.

The anime may not 'break even' through raw disc sales, but anime aren't usually purely funded through a studio's own pockets either. The reality is more than a pursuit of the manabi line.

May 3, 2015 12:19 AM

It's less of a curse and moreso NerdRage. From what I hear Madhouse apparently fired some dude (can't remember the name) who was super-popular and Iconic and the fans did'nt take it too well

I do'nt know if there stuff actually flop or not though
Modified by King_of_Heretics, May 3, 2015 12:25 AM

May 3, 2015 12:23 AM

Ckan said:
Madhouse's past and possibly continuing financial woes aside, anime bring revenue in through more ways than just disc sales: anime produced primarily as a gaudy advertisement for the source material is the obvious and common example here, and I think it would apply to a lot of Madhouse works.

The anime may not 'break even' through raw disc sales, but anime aren't usually purely funded through a studio's own pockets either. The reality is more than a pursuit of the manabi line.

Still tho

Mahou Sensou sold 277 units.

May 3, 2015 12:26 AM

fst said:
Still tho

Probably because the source material sucked, amirite? Madhouse ganbaru'd.

May 3, 2015 12:26 AM

Ckan said:
fst said:
Still tho

Probably because the source material sucked, amirite?

I wouldn't know, I don't read trash.

May 3, 2015 12:35 AM

Devil-Saint said:
. From what I hear Madhouse apparently fired some dude (can't remember the name) who was super-popular and Iconic and the fans did'nt take it too well

I do'nt know if there stuff actually flop or not though

Isn't it the dude who founded Mappa? He is the one who actively support the continuing the work of Kon's Dreaming Machine. No wonder that movie is now in limbo.

Parasyte flopped hard last season. Such pity. T-T
F0XFIRE said:

May 3, 2015 12:37 AM

wat are u talking about??
MADHOUSE just adapts popular stuff, they never did risky stuff like Tokyo Ghoul stupid fukers >_>

May 3, 2015 12:41 AM
otaking
peeyaj said:
A curse in which majority anime Madhouse will produce is bound for commercial oblivion/being a flop via disc sales?

(Like winning an Oscar but your career is now doomed.)

Thoughts?

Edit: change " every" to " majority"

modern madhouse yes ovver all late night anime makes less money than than you think

and puls madhouse is not mad house nay more is owned fully bt sammy annd fr 1o yeeras plus beofr =e that swa owned bt index its just a name today just like sunrise fully owned by bandai
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

May 3, 2015 12:58 AM

DreamingBeats said:
Protaku94 said:

why should we? the claim was that all anime produced by MadHouse "is bound for commercial oblivion/being a flop", in which case i pointed out that No Game No Life was not a flop as a counterexample to his claim.

Why would you humor an exaggeration verbatim?

May 3, 2015 1:24 AM

Yes, because Japan has shit taste
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Salman bin Abdul Aziz said:
@Comic_Sans I hate to insult you on forums but you are just a troll so just go kill yourself already bitch

May 3, 2015 8:16 AM

Madhouse ain't that big in Japan.
All credit goes to Sacred.

May 3, 2015 8:19 AM

YorozuyaGinSan said:
Madhouse isn't winning any awards, are you trying to say their shows have critical acclaim?

It's more of a late night Anime curse. The sales will never be consistently good.

I've stopped watching anime entirely, I just rewatch Frozen over and over again.

May 3, 2015 8:24 AM

I'm guessing High School of the Dead must have shifted a fair few copies

May 3, 2015 8:25 AM

Its because they have shit marketing apparently or do things like modernize Kiseijuu and make all the nostalgia-fags buttmad.

May 3, 2015 8:40 AM

Comic_Sans said:

This.
I have heard that KLK didn't do well in japan so I can tell most of them have terrible taste. that's too bad

May 3, 2015 8:48 AM

Imaishi said:
Comic_Sans said:

This.
I have heard that KLK didn't do well in japan so I can tell most of them have terrible taste. that's too bad

You heard wrong.

May 3, 2015 8:51 AM

Imaishi said:
Comic_Sans said:

This.

They shall never be forgiven. May karma unleash the harshest of wraths on their souls. JP

In all seriousness though, that is a travesty if it is true.

Edit: Just looked at the sales figures, it isn't true. Japan is back on santa's good list :P.

May 3, 2015 9:00 AM

Imaishi said:
Comic_Sans said:

This.

KlK sold like 11k copies. So urm..
Z4k said:

You heard wrong.
"Hi!"

May 3, 2015 9:04 AM

YEEART said:
Imaishi said:

This.

Z4k said:

You heard wrong.

these numbers don't tell me anything. is it much? what's the average?

May 3, 2015 9:07 AM
otaking
Comic_Sans said:

no most sesibale people know madhouse can afford to takea few hits there owned by a 100 billion yen company sammy
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 3, 2015 9:11 AM

Imaishi said:
YEEART said:

I think the average disc sales are 4 - 5k.
"Hi!"

May 3, 2015 9:29 AM

You do know people watch anime on TV in japan right?
They just decided they won't buy madhouse anime disks and buy the source material instead.

May 3, 2015 9:33 AM
otaking
ichii_1 said:
You do know people watch anime on TV in japan right?
They just decided they won't buy madhouse anime disks and buy the source material instead.

there is all so this fact

May 3, 2015 9:46 AM

Imaishi said:
YEEART said:

It depends but you could say around 3k.

May 3, 2015 9:52 AM

So even HxH 2011 was a flop? :O

May 3, 2015 10:21 AM

-JonasTheJay- said:
So even HxH 2011 was a flop? :O

HxH 2011 was a long running show, so we can't judge it by disk sales the same way we do late night anime. I doubt it was a flop.

May 3, 2015 10:30 AM

You are wondering why Madhouse doesn't have commercial success in Japan when one of their most successful shows is Mahouka. That should tell you volumes about Japanese taste in anime and what that means for Madhouse in general.

May 3, 2015 10:50 AM

Fullmetal89 said:
You are wondering why Madhouse doesn't have commercial success in Japan when one of their most successful shows is Mahouka. That should tell you volumes about Japanese taste in anime and what that means for Madhouse in general.

But Death Note is their most successful show in terms of disk sales.

May 3, 2015 10:55 AM
Imaishi said:
Comic_Sans said:

This.

It would have nice if that were true but no, it had ecchi, OTT action and was animated like Gurenn Lagann (as well as basically was GL) it was always going to sell well. But that's just because I don't like the show haha, but maybe you should just check your facts before you go off on one, no?

Average is like 2-3k, normally, good is probs like 5k and selling really well is like 8k+ Anything above like 20k usually is either outstanding or just massively popular for whatever reason.

As for madhouse, nope, they have their fair share of successes and failures. Parasyte was good imo, but it was pretty damn generic by today's standards and the animation wasn't anything too impressive, it was good but...eh.

Honestly though, they haven't done that much recently worth talking about imo. NGNL was good and more importantly it looked a bit different (a bit) which was nice, and it sold well to reflect that. Mahouka was just kinda generic - enjoyable don't get be wrong but still...they haven't made ANYTHING recently I would expect to get over say, 10k.

Ore monogatari will probably sell well imo, but not amazing. Plus I don't know why you used Shirobako and Yowapedia, one surprise hit and one massively successful series to back up your claim? Go figure, of course they didn't sell as well as the third season of a sports anime -.-

May 3, 2015 10:55 AM

From what I know, Madhouse doesn't have the best marketting out there. Their five most succesful titles are Cardcaptor Sakura Death Note, Mahouka, Chobits and NGNL.

This seems to be mostly limited to Blu ray/DVD sales since their movies and OVAs generally very well (Wolf Children), their prime time shows have good tv ratings (HxH 2011) and they generally give super impressive boost to the source materials (Death Note, NGNL)
Fullmetal89 said:

Considering that Infinite Stratos had near legendary sales I'm inclined to agree with this.

May 3, 2015 10:58 AM

Kreion said:
Imaishi said:

This.

It would have nice if that were true but no, it had ecchi, OTT action and was animated like Gurenn Lagann (as well as basically was GL) it was always going to sell well. But that's just because I don't like the show haha, but maybe you should just check your facts before you go off on one, no?

Average is like 2-3k, normally, good is probs like 5k and selling really well is like 8k+ Anything above like 20k usually is either outstanding or just massively popular for whatever reason.

As for madhouse, nope, they have their fair share of successes and failures. Parasyte was good imo, but it was pretty damn generic by today's standards and the animation wasn't anything too impressive, it was good but...eh.

Honestly though, they haven't done that much recently worth talking about imo. NGNL was good and more importantly it looked a bit different (a bit) which was nice, and it sold well to reflect that. Mahouka was just kinda generic - enjoyable don't get be wrong but still...they haven't made ANYTHING recently I would expect to get over say, 10k.

Ore monogatari will probably sell well imo, but not amazing. Plus I don't know why you used Shirobako and Yowapedia, one surprise hit and one massively successful series to back up your claim? Go figure, of course they didn't sell as well as the third season of a sports anime -.-

My Love story is a shoujo, they hardly sell well.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »