Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2015 6:41 AM

Mar 2014
So, I watched the first season of Stardust Crusaders while it was airing, but the censorship began to bother me... Some episodes were more egregious about it than others, but after finishing the season, I decided that I would wait until the Blu-Rays get released before jumping into Season 2.

However, now I'm starting to re-consider that decision, and might just jump right into Season 2, because I really need more Jojo in my life, dammit!

However, I want to know, from anybody who's watched the series... without getting into any spoilers... How bad is the censorship?
Is there any at all?
If so, how does it compare to the first season's censorship?
How much do they censor? How often?
These are all things I need to know.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 29, 2015 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
vigorousjammer said:
So, I watched the first season of Stardust Crusaders while it was airing, but the censorship began to bother me... Some episodes were more egregious about it than others, but after finishing the season, I decided that I would wait until the Blu-Rays get released before jumping into Season 2.

However, now I'm starting to re-consider that decision, and might just jump right into Season 2, because I really need more Jojo in my life, dammit!

However, I want to know, from anybody who's watched the series... without getting into any spoilers... How bad is the censorship?
Is there any at all?

As bad as the first season, which is also as bad as the 2012 Part 1/2 anime was in its TV broadcast. They don't censor blood, but they do censor gore and bodily mutilations. They also censor Jotaro smoking since he's 17 years old, which looks absolutely ridiculous and is by and large the most jarring of the censorship. They just make his face all black. They often don't even censor the cherry at the end of his cigarette. It's so bad xD

By the way, you do know that the Blurays are out for the first 12 episodes of season 1, right? I guess it's a little late to tell you now, but they might be nice to get them if you're archiving it..
Apr 29, 2015 4:08 PM

Mar 2014
Fadeout4 said:
vigorousjammer said:

Is there any at all?

As bad as the first season, which is also as bad as the 2012 Part 1/2 anime was in its TV broadcast. They don't censor blood, but they do censor gore and bodily mutilations. They also censor Jotaro smoking since he's 17 years old, which looks absolutely ridiculous and is by and large the most jarring of the censorship. They just make his face all black. They often don't even censor the cherry at the end of his cigarette. It's so bad xD

By the way, you do know that the Blurays are out for the first 12 episodes of season 1, right? I guess it's a little late to tell you now, but they might be nice to get them if you're archiving it..

Yup, I got them just earlier today and have them on my HDD, I'm holding off on re-watching it, though. The plan for me is to just re-watch all of season 1 using the bluray release, and jump right into the bluray release for Season 2 afterwards.

Apr 29, 2015 5:06 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty sure the season 2 Blu Rays don't have subs
Apr 29, 2015 7:30 PM

Nov 2011
gedata said:

There are no subtitles on the disc, but the group I'm in, Some-Stuffs, has been subbing it. We've been taking our subs for the TV releases and overhauling the editing to make sure everything is consistent and edited to the best of our abilities before releasing.
Apr 29, 2015 8:07 PM

Oct 2011
Apr 29, 2015 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
God, that crappy video quality is almost worse than the censorship.
May 1, 2015 5:51 PM

May 2014
gedata said:

Yeah they don't.

Not to mention the subs on the first season aren't spectacular at all from what I remember.

Also, Fadeout, do you have a sub file for all of the episodes? Is there any way I can download just that without actually downloading the episodes? Also which subs are you guys using?
May 1, 2015 7:54 PM

Nov 2011
mintiel said:
Also, Fadeout, do you have a sub file for all of the episodes? Is there any way I can download just that without actually downloading the episodes? Also which subs are you guys using?

We use our own subs for the episodes. We start with Crunchyroll's script, clean it up a bunch, typeset things that need to be typeset, fix all the name changes, and edit the hell out of it to the point where it's not even recognizable from the original CR script. When we get the episodes ready for Blu-rays, we do another, more extensive edit.

Unfortunately, our subtitle files are not compatible with the CR/Horriblesubs videos because we remove the 10 seconds of black screen in the beginning of each episode. If you're asking about the blu-rays, that's even worse because the blu-ray videos have black spaces for half a second wherever the was a commercial break, so everything gets pushed around.
May 1, 2015 9:47 PM

May 2014
Fadeout4 said:
mintiel said:

We use our own subs for the episodes. We start with Crunchyroll's script, clean it up a bunch, typeset things that need to be typeset, fix all the name changes, and edit the hell out of it to the point where it's not even recognizable from the original CR script. When we get the episodes ready for Blu-rays, we do another, more extensive edit.

Unfortunately, our subtitle files are not compatible with the CR/Horriblesubs videos because we remove the 10 seconds of black screen in the beginning of each episode. If you're asking about the blu-rays, that's even worse because the blu-ray videos have black spaces for half a second wherever the was a commercial break, so everything gets pushed around.

Ye I'm mostly asking due to the blu rays haha. but oh well, yeah all the like black stuff would fuck up timing and i imagine it'd be a pain in the ass to just slap it in there while it plays.

not that it matters because i'm too lazy to upgrade my optical drive to a blu ray player and just use my ps3 :s
May 1, 2015 10:04 PM

Nov 2013
The censorship is pretty annoying but since I already started it, I don't feel like waiting for the blurays so that's out of the question.

Jun 28, 2015 6:32 PM

Mar 2014
Gov said:

God, that's just... terrible.
Okay, that settles it, I'm waiting for Some-Stuffs to start Season 2 BluRay releases, and then I'll re-watch all of Season 1 uncensored.

I've waited this long already, so I can wait a bit longer... I definitely want the best Jojo experience I can get! :D

Dec 17, 2018 10:18 AM

Dec 2014
yes what is the point of censorship anyway...they even sensor it when someone smokes...like for what really

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

132 by fgowy »»
Apr 17, 4:02 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2015

137 by vizthex »»
Apr 1, 10:43 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Akanezora - Feb 20, 2015

187 by MISTERINVINCIBLE »»
Mar 16, 11:01 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

161 by Blitrapika »»
Feb 27, 8:33 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akanezora - Jan 23, 2015

261 by Yvel_33 »»
Feb 1, 6:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.